PDA

View Full Version : Big Red Flag staff form

mantid1
07-08-2005, 03:49 PM
I stumbled across a web site by Marlon pillosoph. He teaches 7* and CCk Tai Chi mantis.

He has a Big red flage long pole form listed with his weapons. I was able to learn this form form the choy li fut system. I was told it is not a standard choy li fut curriculum form only taught off curriculum. This is the first time other than who I have learned the form that I have seen it mentioned anywhere.

Does anyone know if this Praying mantis form would be the same as the choy li fut version. Or does anyone have any info or history on this form?

Mr 108

I would like your input on this please :)

Three Harmonies
07-08-2005, 03:55 PM
Never even heard of it! What is it in Chinese? The closest thing I can think of is the Liuhe Chiang, but that is usually more associated with Baji, not Mantis.
Any vid of either version?? :confused:
Jake :cool:

mantid1
07-08-2005, 04:06 PM
I will try to get it on video for you and email it.

It is a nice little set

Sow Choy
07-09-2005, 08:06 AM
Big Red Flag Staff or in Cantonese "Dai Hung Kay"

This is a CLF form, a single head staff form popular in the southern styles. The staff is very long and is held with the longer side on the right. It is similar in a way to Hung Ga's 8 Diagram Pole... If any Wah Lum people know it, they probably learned it from my Sifu Lee Koon Hung or possible Li Siu Hung...

Joe

Eddie
07-09-2005, 10:31 AM
I've seen a sevenstar mantis sifu, Master Jiang also do a big red flag form. I asked him about it(Im a CLF guy), and he just said its a form he learned in China. He does a few weird weapons too, like the judge pen, brush, and some other funny things. I cant remember if I ever asked him if these were mantis forms or not, but he sure did it with a " mantis body" and feel.

The form he did didnt look anything like dai hun kai, although there were some moves that seem to be the same (from what I have seen).

I have his e-mail address, I could ask him, and will see if he replies.
BTW -this master Jiang now lives in L.A - he was visiting us during Chinese new year, and I spend a few hours with him training between the demos we did together.

Three Harmonies
07-09-2005, 05:38 PM
Can you tell us more about Master Jiang?
Thanks

Shaolin Dude
07-09-2005, 09:21 PM
does anyone know a staff form that has a move in the beginning where you tap the staff on the floor 3 times?

Eddie
07-10-2005, 01:15 PM
Can you tell us more about Master Jiang?
Thanks

yeah, i posted some stuff about him before if you click here http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35227. Im not completely sure how the proper pinyin spelling for his name is, I remember seeing a Z being used (and using it), but his name is pronounced more like a J sound I guess.

He teaches 7 Star mantis, and he is a good friend of my shaolin teacher.

Will get a few more details for you :).

Young Mantis
07-12-2005, 01:07 AM
Marlon Pilossoph is a classmate of mine under Sifu Tony Chuy. The Dai Hung Kay Gwun form that he lists on his website and which was taught to us by our Sifu is indeed the CLF form. My Sifu started his martial arts training in HK with Sifu Lam Hay who taught Eagle Claw and Choy Lei Fut. I don't believe he learnt this form from him however. If I remember correctly, he learned this form as well as Lung Hang Gwun from late Master Lee Koon Hung. When I get a chance, I will confirm this with Sifu and post new information if it is different.

The form is not part of the HK7* nor the CCK TJ PM curriculum. It is a form Sifu learned and passed on to us. Officially it is not listed on Sifu's website: www.northernmantis.com since it is not part of the Mantis system and is taught at our school as a supplemental and optional form.

Hope this helps clear the air about this form.

Vance Young

mantid1
07-12-2005, 05:29 AM
Thanks for the info

My form comes from lkh clf lineage. I have read the long staff for this form is longer than the regular long staff. Is this true? The one I have would not work well with a long staff.

The form I have is not a long form but VERY nice. It is probably my favorite staff form.

CLFNole
07-12-2005, 06:50 AM
The form is short; however traditionally the form was performed with a real long staff that is usually heavy. When you train it this way you get a real good workout even though the form itself is short. Plus it helps you develop better long staff mechanics.

The form can be done with any size staff but you really want at least 7'. I practice it with a heavy 9' staff but generally demo it with one that is over 7'.

Peace.

yu shan
07-12-2005, 07:31 AM
Wah Lum has a long pole form called Master Stick. I have seen it done but I never picked it up. This stick looked to be 9` foot and heavy. Anyone know it?

During a demo in Taiwan, a kf uncle of mine did a long pole form. The form had very basic footwork and looked simple. My Shifu said it was a very good fighting set and not to let the simpleness fool me.

Laughing Buddha
07-18-2005, 10:24 PM
Indeed, the Dai Hoong Kay Gwun (or Big Red Banner Pole) form is not a Praying Mantis form and thus not in our standard curriculum. The story is that in 1980, my Sifu, Tony Chuy decided to return to Hong Kong for a visit. Our Sigung, late grandmaster Brendan Lai told our Sifu to pay a courtesy visit to late grandmaster Lee Koon Hung since they were good friends. As a gesture of their friendship, late grandmaster Lee Koon Hung taught my Sifu several weapon forms during his stay in Hong Kong. This pole form was one of them. Sifu will sometimes teach these southern weapons forms to the advanced students to broaden their knowledge of Chinese gung fu and for some exposure into some of the unique traits of southern weaponry. Over the years, Sifu has learnt other weapon forms not in the Praying Mantis curriculum from other notable masters as well. This diversity in Chinese weaponry has been useful to my Sifu since on several occasions he has been hired as a martial arts choreographer for theater, Chinese opera, and even movies.