PDA

View Full Version : Essay for a free Ba Gua Zhang color book

SPJ
07-10-2005, 05:26 PM
The publisher offered me a break on the publishing cost. So I moved ahead the schedule, since I have the manuscript and images ready.

It is a very concise book with keypoints of 8 styles of Ba Gua Zhang illustrated.

If you post answers to the 3 Q's that follow, I will send you a free copy of the color book covering over 100 techniques/apps with over 115 images. There are only 20 available.

1. What is your fundamental principle of your MA style and why?

2. Name a technique and explain how the principle applies to it?

3. How do you apply the principle in your study and practice in general?

I will mail the book as soon as it is available.

:D

mickey
07-10-2005, 07:44 PM
Greetings SPJ,

1- The fundamental principal is to not have any one set method. To have many approaches and yet be free from any "stylisms" nor be bound by the approaches themselves.

2- Flower Under Leaf: A technique that explodes from below, hidden by the leaf of the other hand. With that one technique one explores variations in usage and application, developing a kaleidoscopic repetoire based on that one technique.

3- Learn a technique. Understand the technique. And then DESTROY the technique, thereby liberating yourself from it. It is an ongoing process the extends itself spiritually to the shattering of illusion.

mickey

SPJ: Will this be going into some kind of book? I'm not too crazy about that.

Toby
07-10-2005, 07:54 PM
1. What is your fundamental principle of your MA style and why?Principle: centre. Move with the centre, everytime. We want the centre to initiate movement and everything to arrive simultaneously. As long as this happens, you will always have optimal structure. If you step first and the centre follows and your movement is intercepted before the centre catches up, you're off balance and will be destroyed. If you lead with your upper body and the centre follows, you will be thrown or tied up. If your centre moves together and you're intercepted, you will have the best chance to resist or attack. The centre is also the key to power. The same principle is important in both WC and XY in our school. (Copied from your " Assays for free Tai Ji book" thread :D).

2. Name a technique and explain how the principle applies to it?Kau sau. If you are inside the opponent's arms, kau sau will take you to the outside. Kau sau cuts across the opponent's arm from the inside, then the wrist circles to the outside of the opponent and the centre turns to turn their arm and get outside them. Done properly, the kau sau arm won't move much in relation to the body, the centre turns you and the opponent. The end result is getting to the opponent's outside and opening up their whole flank for striking.

3. How do you apply the principle in your study and practice in general?I try to make all my movements from the centre. I've noticed it has flowed over into my everyday life. I hold my centre all the time, e.g. when opening a door etc. I have a looong way to go, but it has definitely helped my MA.

MonkeySlap Too
07-10-2005, 09:18 PM

I'm going that way. Because you are standing in my spot.

Techniques are not named, but principles are. An example would be an opponent stabs at me, I slip the blade using a 'breaker' move to punish the weapon arm, as a distraction for the Beng Chuan that can be any strike using Beng energy, or as a dramatic clearing of the line, allowing me to remove the Brain Housing Group from functioning, and finishing with a Kao-based throw such as slant-flying. I then crush their head like a cantelope by issueing fajin out my leg.

By keeping in ming the ai priori assumptions of my training, I build training drills around maintaing this understanding. I avoid any practice that deviates from this strategy, as it is counter-productive. In general, from the psychological set-up, to any unfortunate physical event, I keep my opponent in my cage. It can be a mental contruct or a physical action. (none of this is as extreme as it seems, as Sun Tzu's treatise applies overall)

MonkeySlap Too
07-10-2005, 09:19 PM
The book sounds good...

Ray Pina
07-11-2005, 05:33 AM
1) Close your door! Or, between you and me is my elbow.

2) Ba Gua's 2nd palm.
Rotate/spiral the palm twisting the foot, hip, shoulder, back, arm guiding the mass with the elbow. You can do it slowly to train and condition the body, make the muscles longer and increase your ability. The more you can twist the more sharp power the blow will have later. Also, the twisting allows for mutliple shots without pulling the arm back.

3) Usage:
When a BJJ guy drops to shoot after setting up with striking, I also drop, dropping the forearm, elbow down looking for his collar bone or neck. If you get it, fantastic, if not, at least I have my elbow as a barrier, a tool for leverage, between me and the other guy as we go down.

SPJ
07-11-2005, 07:16 AM
Mickey:

This is just an exercise to remind us and me of the importance of the principle or one principle a day. That is what I was told to do since the late 70's.

I only know some northern styles. There are so many styles and practitioners under the sun. The principles are our undestanding of things and summary of derivations from practices.

Principles and practices come hand in hand.

Think of one principle at a time. This is a Chan/Zen process.

Your Chan is from your practice and understanding.

Usually in Chinese, it is summarized in a single word or character in the old time.

For example, in Ba Gua Zhang, the body method: Ni Guo Fan Zuan 4 words. the steps or Bu Fa: San Zhuan Teng Nuo 4 words.

Ni: to twist around wrist, waist along the spine, etc, Ni inward or outward.

Guo: to wrap around your body and that of the opponent.

Fan: to flip, the palm side and back hand side, the front and the back of the spine, the arms in your front or the back, etc. The front, the rear, the left, the right, the up and down etc.

Zuan: drilling or spiraling upward or forward.

San: to avoid by steps to the side, go up and down, the front and rear by moving upper body back or to the front etc etc.

Zhuan: to turn.

Teng: to jump low, high, to the left, right, front, rear etc.

Nuo: to move.

Guess what I have to remind myself all these 8 words in just about every Ba Gua move I practice.

So what is a principle?

:confused: :D :cool:

count
07-11-2005, 08:11 AM
If you post answers to the 3 Q's that follow, I will send you a free copy of the color book covering over 100 techniques/apps with over 115 images. There are only 20 available.

I'll take one book, For giving one of many slightly different from yours. Pardon my pinyin. :)
kun = rolling the forearm
tsuan = turning the wrist
cheng = thrusting the shoulder
guo = wrapping the elbow

Turning or turning from the wrist, applies to turning your opponent off his centerline or changing the direction during any counter with a simple turning of the wrist.

All these basic principles are practiced in succession during circle walking to help develop luo xian jin, bagua's spiraling energy.

SPJ
07-11-2005, 10:21 AM
Kool.

:)

Chief Fox
07-11-2005, 11:33 AM
The publisher offered me a break on the publishing cost. So I moved ahead the schedule, since I have the manuscript and images ready.

It is a very concise book with keypoints of 8 styles of Ba Gua Zhang illustrated.

My primary style is 7 star praying mantis. Fundamental principles that we focus on in class are speed, power, distract low attack high, distract high attack low.

A great example of the above principles in action is a technique called "Mantis captures Cicada". For example: You are in a fighting stance with your right foot forward. Your opponent throws a right punch. Your right hand moves left and up capturing your opponents wrist. You grab tightly and pull. While doing the above move you change or hop from a right foot forward fighting stance into a low left foot forward cat stance. Your left hand traps the upper arm of your opponent. You now control your opponents arm and are pulling him, using your sinking cat stance, down. You can now attack your opponent with a kick from your cat stance to the leg, groin or abdomen. After the kick a great follow up technique is to release your right hand that is still holding your opponent's wrist, maintain your trap with your left hand, transition from your left cat into a left bow stance while you punch or elbow your opponents face.

The above technique uses the principles speed, power, distract low attack high and distract high to attack low.

I try to use these principles when I spar. Done successfully it keeps your opponent guessing and usually ends up with them being hit from nowhere.

Golden Arms
07-11-2005, 12:33 PM
The following are applied to Hung Ga

1. Yin and Yang, first learn external power and hardness of the bridges, as well as the power of driving through an opponent, then learn the internal softness to let your structure take over the delivery of power, and using whipping forces, and sensitivity as well as angles to overcome the stronger opponent.

2. Water/Wave punch,Hard: can be used with hard power to crash through, move and smash an opponents guard, torso, crotch, arms, etc. Soft: can be used to intercept or stick to an opponents limbs and move them or yourself around them creating angles of opening, with relaxed power for delivery.

3. I tend to engage based off the opponents actions...Softness can lead an opponent into over committing or allowing themselves to be approached at an angle where hardness can then overpower them due to angles and leverage.

Vasquez
07-12-2005, 03:47 AM

LOL on concise. There is no short cuts to kung fu. It's a way of life.

count
07-12-2005, 06:41 AM
And none of the Mantis guys have weighed in,
1. Keyword principle that applies to the mantis hands and feet:
go
luo
tsai
kua
hopping
turning
dodging
jumping

2. Technique:
Go sao, or hooking hands, contrary to what is said above, are a blocking or redirecting technique that follows a elliptical circle in a vertical plane. the actual contact is the forearm. (If someone thinks they can simply grab a punch out of the air with the hook, I'd say you're gambling dangerously.)

3. Applied in practice:
The first four are the hands and the second four are the monkey footwork of 7* Mantis. Of course, blocks become attacks and steps become kicks. The key to mantis boxing is speed and continuity. As in ALL styles of kung fu, block high attack low simultaneously or visa versa. what the mantis gives up in power it makes up for in speed.

Some mantis styles use an 18 keyword formula which are basically variations or newer additions to the system.

Now I expect some of the more seasoned mantis fighters to weigh in. :p

I will be giving my second copy of your book as a gift to my teacher ;)

Shall I go for tai chi chuan?

SPJ
07-12-2005, 07:00 AM
Kool again.

2nd copy absolutely.

Vasquez:

You are correct. There is no short cut to Kung Fu.

The book has 10 chapters. and 2 parts.

the basic stances, the basic 8 palms and 8 single Palm Change sets from 8 popular styles including Yin Fu, Cheng Ting Hua, Shi Ji Dong, Liang Zhen Pu and other 4.

It is in a note format. With Chinese names and English translations. There are 8 or more moves in each Palm Change set. At least one app is discussed for each palm move. More general discussions are in sypnosis.

Vasquez
07-12-2005, 07:06 AM
go
luo
tsai
kua
hopping
turning
dodging
jumping

2. Technique:
Go sao, or hooking hands, contrary to what is said above, are a blocking or redirecting technique that follows a elliptical circle in a vertical plane. the actual contact is the forearm. (If someone thinks they can simply grab a punch out of the air with the hook, I'd say you're gambling dangerously.)

3. Applied in practice:
The first four are the hands and the second four are the monkey footwork of 7* Mantis. Of course, blocks become attacks and steps become kicks. The key to mantis boxing is speed and continuity. As in ALL styles of kung fu, block high attack low simultaneously or visa versa. what the mantis gives up in power it makes up for in speed.

Some mantis styles use an 18 keyword formula which are basically variations or newer additions to the system.

aren't there 300+ forms in mantis and another 40+ forms in southern mantis?

pazman
07-12-2005, 07:12 AM
SPJ,
I know you're probably looking for Chinese arts, but I do Aikido and I've heard there's some comparison between that and BQZ; I have no idea as all I've seen of BQZ is people walking in circles.

There are various principles that are talked about in Aikido, but if I had to pick one that sums up what I train, I'd go with:

1. Idoryoku - 'locomotive power' or 'power of movement', basically refers to the generation of power as a result of whole body movement.

2. Gyagumae ate (Opposite strike). I use this as an example, but any techniques from the Atemi Waza (http://homepage2.nifty.com/shodokan/en/kyogi10a.html) set (the bread and butter of Aikido) clearly demonstrate the principle. Basically it is a strike down and across the chest, but you'll notice that it is really a 'fitting' and the arm isn't really striking....the body is. Combined with the footwork, the weight of the body is thrown at the opponent.

3. To make any of the techniques work in Aikido, Idoryoku must be present. While I can easily apply a wristlock on somebody, putting him on the ground with it is another matter. We train with various timing and distancing drills that specifically deal with Idoryoku, along with full-resistance randori.

count
07-12-2005, 07:23 AM
aren't there 300+ forms in mantis and another 40+ forms in southern mantis?
Personally, I would say no. There are probably many forms added during a long history with many branches and styles of praying mantis. My Mantis is only a basic level with a few years of study, but I believe it to have a the core that the system is built on, the principles that are applied in usage, and the training methods. But I'm sure we might hear from some of the long time practitioners now. ;)

Thanks SPJ, I'm really looking forward to this one. :)

count
07-12-2005, 07:52 AM
Dragon Gate
Snake Gate
Tiger Gate

I learned these in sword training but in application and even hand to hand, they are most useful. Of course there are different levels and heights, but dragon gate is straight from the outside, snake gate is from the centerline, and tiger gate is across the center line to the inside. Dragon gate is the easiest to attack. Snake gate requires the most skill. And Tiger gate is the most powerful but the most dangerous to yourself.

3. In practice with a sword and against an opponent we should train the 15 keywords from each gate moving forward and backward. The 15 cuts are Pi, Kan, Mo, Hui, Liao, Ci, Beng, Dian, Cuo, Tiao, Quan, Gua, Xiao, Bao, and Ti. Later with skill you train combinations and angles free flowing.

Even though I gave these for free, I have to say this is the most valuable information I have ever shared on a forum. If you get this you will understand why.

Thanks to SPJ for offering his books for free.

Chief Fox
07-12-2005, 08:20 AM
go
luo
tsai
kua
hopping
turning
dodging
jumping

2. Technique:

3. Applied in practice:

I like counts description of 7star mantis principles better than mine. You can probably tell from my description that I am a novice with only a few years of 7 star training under my belt.

Although I would argue that while blocking and redirecting are a large part of the 7star mantis system, so are sticking and grabbing. This is what I was trying to get across in my description. And yes I do agree that you don't just simply grab the punch out of the air. The motion is circular making forearm contact, then sticking and then grabbing. I apologize to the advanced 7 star students here if I created any confusion.

SPJ
07-18-2005, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the replies:

I have an appointment with the production department the first week of August.

After that, the book will be formatted and in "production". It then would take 6 to 8 weeks more to get a proof galley in a CD.

I will keep everyone posted.

Ba Gua Zhang (http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b343/SPJ/445e9624.jpg)

What is the move?

Anyone?

Chief Fox
07-18-2005, 03:11 PM

What is the move?

Anyone?

Hail the golden taxi? :D

count
07-23-2005, 07:19 AM
Thanks for the replies:

I have an appointment with the production department the first week of August.

After that, the book will be formatted and in "production". It then would take 6 to 8 weeks more to get a proof galley in a CD.

I will keep everyone posted.

What is the move?

Anyone?

Hawk soars to the sky.

count
07-23-2005, 07:29 AM
Just a moment to examine what need to be added to make this bagua. The hawk hand is fire rising from the heart. It needs to rotate around the middle finger (heart meridian), for proper power issuing. It needs more relaxation in the shoulder so energy flows through the heart. Even though the stance needs to be lower, the knees need to be twisted in and the front foot needs to be kou bu (turning inside). There is more, but that should help.

SPJ
07-23-2005, 07:38 AM
Yes, you are correct.

The posture is called pointing to the sky and planting into the ground or Zhi Tian Ca Di. It is a standing post palm or Li Zhang.

count
07-23-2005, 07:51 AM
Yes, you are correct.

The posture is called pointing to the sky and planting into the ground or Zhi Tian Ca Di. It is a standing post palm or Li Zhang.
Li is the fire/hawk trigram.

The hand pointing to the ground is snake. It is water which cools the fire. it needs to rotate around the kidney meridian or pinky.

I'll take bagua for $200, Alex. :D

Seriously, since we haven't met, I don't know who I am criticizing. It's is sincerely intended to help.

I can't believe there are no comments or questions about the three gates after a week. either everyone is a kung fu genius here, or I didn't make it clear what I wanted to say. It really is the most valuable info I ever posted on a forum. :confused:

SPJ
07-23-2005, 08:01 AM
Hawk soaring to the sky is Yao Zhi Zhan Tian.

I was looking for a picture to upload and reference.

I am running out of time, since I have to go to work.

SPJ
07-23-2005, 08:03 AM
It is an excellent post on 3 gates.

;)

cam
07-25-2005, 12:20 PM
1. Silk Reeling
It is a way of whole body motion.

2. All techniques incorporate this

3 See #2.

SPJ
08-03-2005, 07:41 AM
I just talked to the publisher. The cover will be light green background. We still have to make sure all the chinese character fonts are correct. And the pictures are all right. Before they start to format the book.

Here is a link to some intro.

the picture book (http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/ItemDetail~bookid~33751.aspx)

Will keep everyone posted.

Thanks for all the replies.

David Jamieson
08-03-2005, 02:07 PM

1. Move inside, dissolve incoming force, control the space.
2. Cramming. This is moving inside rapidly and interfereing with the opponents ability to gain correct structure in his strikes.
3. To apply the principle a) work the shape technically, b)drill against probable attacks rushing, slipping,smashing through etc vs Kick, jab, crossing, c) spar with the technique in an alive fashion.

Do I get crayons with the colouring book? :p

SPJ
08-03-2005, 06:39 PM
It is a book with some color text or images. It costs a lot to "format" the book.

So I have to purchase 20 copies as part of the publishing agreements.

And I offer these to fellow KFO forum posters.

;)

SPJ
08-04-2005, 07:28 AM
Here is a link to discussion of 3 styles of Ba Gua Zhang.

Yin Fu, Cheng and Liu styles (http://www.geocities.com/ycgf/bagua.htm)

SPJ
08-07-2005, 04:37 PM
Here is another link to styles.

styles (http://site.netopia.com/bagua/stylesofbaguazhang/)

SPJ
08-07-2005, 04:51 PM
I might be able to get the galley in a CD in a few weeks.

There are over 115 images. They have to crop and place them in the book.

In the mean time, we just have to wait.

SPJ
08-18-2005, 06:41 PM
Hi;

Check out the book cover design. The posture is "Green Dragon Extending Claws" or Qin Long Tan Zhua in Cheng Ting Hua Ba Gua.

For all the postures, there will be Chinese text, Pin Yin and English translations as requested by my brothers and readers from Taiwan.

book cover (http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/ItemDetail~bookid~33751.aspx)

SPJ
08-20-2005, 06:10 PM
Hi;

Here is a link to the both side of the book cover.

cover (http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b343/SPJ/cover.jpg)

Ming Yue
08-20-2005, 07:21 PM
Hi;

Here is a link to the both side of the book cover.

cover (http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b343/SPJ/cover.jpg)

I misread the title of this thread and thought you were making a Bagua coloring book.

SPJ
08-24-2005, 07:19 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

I was informed by the publisher that the galley proof CD is in the mail.

Once I read it and send back the approval form. I will receive the first book in print. I usually send it to Amazon.com for scanning for look inside book program.

Anyhow, it will be a few more weeks before the book will be available. I then will place the order of 20 and mail to everyone that respond in this thread.

I sent my previous 3 books for review in the gear essential in Blackbelt mag.

I will do the same for the Ba Gua book.

----

Rockwood
08-25-2005, 11:31 AM
Dear SPJ-

Glad to hear you are putting out a Ba Gua book. There is a big lack of information out there, the more we get the better.

I like to practice Ba Gua. Because there are many sub-styles there are many ways to look at it. It also changes as you practice and you move from one concept to another and eventually back again. Circling, spiraling, opening, twisting, shocking, slamming, lifting, overturning, there are so many skills and each takes a lot of effort to learn.

1. I think the main core concept of Ba Gua is: Changing. Your mind is free, open, aware, unafraid and clear thinking. Use circle walking to reach a place where you react to what is real, not what you imagine or fear. This kind of mind state is special, and can be hard to reach if you do other arts that only practice pre arranged techniques. Ba Gua has techniques too, but it is special because it teaches the adaptable mindset as it's core, main idea, rather than just getting it through sparring or luck or however. Ba Gua tries to teach this spontaneous mindset from the very beginning. Sometimes people can't understand why we walk around in circles, it look stupid. But this kind of mindset can be very useful, and that's why the mindset is more important than the specific fighting moves.

2. Chuan Zhang, piercing palm is one of the Ba Gua techniques. one way to use it is when someone attacks you drill forward to intercept and deflect his attack. The twisting of the arm helps to stick to him, as well as helping to move him aside without a lot of force. If you do it on the right angle he may run into your hand and hurt himself. If he is good however, your Chuan Zhang won't hurt him.

At this time your arm is touching his. This is when Ba Gua's special skill of changing comes to play. Changing happens in response to your oponent. If you are good enough, at the moment he moves, your Chuan Zhang transforms into something else. If he comes low, you drive over the top to hit his face. If he comes high, you step and swing low to slap his body. No matter what he does, your Chuan Zhang will become the counter to it, whether you think about it or not. It just does it by itself.

3. Change is practiced by solo drills and partner drills. In solo you practice circle walking along with nei gung. You build awareness of your own body, calm, centered, quiet, controlled, easy, soft, alive. Then when you change you will do it smoothly and easily. I think this is why master Dong taught circle walking to the many experts who came to him. they could use circle walking to build up their mind, and add that to whatever they knew already. It was a very easy way to upgrade their skills.

The partner drills begin when one attacks the other. When he attacks, you try to maintain the same mindset you had when circling: aware, alive and unbothered. When he touches, don't try to think of a way to overcome him, let your body move itself into the correct position, intuitively. You will lose at first, but over time your body and mind will come closer together and your movements will become faster, smoother and stronger.

Over time it will help you watch and find the gaps in your opponent's mind, the places where he goes on auto-pilot and starts to space out. These are the spaces that your attacks will enter, even without trying really hard. If you look for these gaps too hard, you will over focus and miss them. But if your own awareness is stronger than his, your defenses will automatically fill in the breaks and you will win the fight.

I think this training to change automatically is one of the best parts of Ba Gua training. It can help anyone, particularly if they are already good at another martial art.

-Jess O'Brien

PangQuan
08-25-2005, 12:05 PM
I have never really looked into bagua. I would be interested in buying one of these books when you complete the process.

Will you be selling them personally, or will I need to go to amazon or something?

SPJ
08-25-2005, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the replies.

The lowest price is with the publisher. Once used ones are available, there will be many on line carriers. Barnes and noble has lower pricing than amazon.com. However, amazon.com will give you 6 free pages for viewing and search inside.

This book is an intro book for general info and references. It is to interest non MAer or non Ba Gua people to study further.

The format of the book was based on feedbacks from readers and practitioners from Taiwan.

It is fun to read, very concise and to the point.

They are actually notes and insights from my studies over the years.

SPJ
09-28-2005, 08:42 PM
I reviewed the galley proof CD 2 weeks ago.

The publisher sent the first print copy of the book in the mail today. I may be able to get it sometimes next week.

The production people cropped and resized the images to fit the pages and also the blank part of pages. The number of pages reduced dramatically. It will be a thin book.

As soon as the book goes "live". I will start to collect the mailing addresses.

The book will be featured in black belt buyer guide 2006 and the September month of IKF calendar 2006.

Thanks for your patience.

SPJ
09-28-2005, 08:59 PM
Rockwood/JO:

Thank you very much for your reply. I enjoyed reading your book on Nei Jia Quan (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1556435061/qid=1127966395/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-8881097-0848961?v=glance&s=books&n=507846).

You did a good job.

Rockwood
09-30-2005, 09:31 AM
Hi SPJ,

Thanks!! I'm really glad you enjoyed it. It was a lot of fun to put together, and it forced me to visit a lot of different teachers. I learned a lot in the process. Best of luck with your publications!

Sincerely,

Jess O

SPJ
10-20-2005, 07:10 PM
Hi;

Please PM me your address.

I placed the order of 20 books last week.

I may be able to receive them over the weekend.

If you did not respond in this thread soon enough, please be patient.

In 4 to 6 weeks, you may search inside book at amazon.com for free.

There are over 40 some pages. It is a very thin book.

You may be able to see most of it free at amazon.com.

Any comments. Please start another thread.

Thanks for all that responded in this thread.

-disciple-
10-20-2005, 07:49 PM
1, Tai Jut/Tai Sut
2.Pak Sao. Watch the elbow, and "slap" it away
3. Since the elbows and knees move much slower than the fists and feet, in a fight i will watch my opponent's fist and feet.

Are there still any books left?

SPJ
12-25-2005, 10:07 AM
Hi;

The book is now searchable at www.amazon.com.

so you are able to read free pages.

Thanks for everyone that replied in this thread and happy holidays.