PDA

View Full Version : Chang Fu Chen

Three Harmonies
07-10-2005, 06:16 PM
I see that one Chang Fu Chen does a Mantis seminar every year at the Baltimore tourney, unfortunately I have never been able to afford the pleasure of training with him.
I was wondering if anyone knew who he was, or better yet, if you have taken one of these seminars with him??

Thanks
Jake :cool:

mantid1
07-10-2005, 08:54 PM
I have a friend who took a mantis seminar at the Koushou tourney in Baltimore last year. Not sure if this is the tourney you are talking about.

It looks like a very nice form. Probably between 60 or 70 moves. I think he said the name of the form was seven star #1. The name seems odd. But like I said it is a nice form. I am not sure if it was taught by the person you are talking about.

Anyone have any idea of what 7* number one is?

You should go to the tourney. It has some great fighting, and if you are trying to get on the seminar circuit this would be a great organiztion to belong to.

Three Harmonies
07-11-2005, 05:20 AM
Indeed it is the same tourney. Trust me I would love to go, but I cannot afford it.

Hmmmm, Seven Star number one eh? Zhai Yao perhaps?

mantid1
07-11-2005, 06:06 AM
I have tjpl zhai yao 1 and it is not the same form. I have never seen the seven star zhai yao. Doesnt the hong kong branch only have 3 and the mainland do 6 or 7? the first 3 from hong kong the same as the mainland first 3?

Stop over when you are in town and you will be able to see it.

K.Brazier
07-11-2005, 06:39 AM
Zhang Fu Chen is my elder Kung Fu brother.
There is no such thing as Seven Star #1.
I don't know what it is. Either he made it up or there is something lost in the translation.

He does not teach under our Shifu, Shi Zheng Zhong's permission.

He became good friends with Huang Chien Liang so what is happening now is probably a result of that friendship.
He knows a few things and he seems competent helping his fighters on the leitai.
It is unforunate that things didn't work out for him and our Shifu.

mantid1
07-11-2005, 08:18 AM
So this guy teaches Pong Lai?

That would be great to have another source of this effective style taught here in the states.

Does anyone know if he is here in the states and how to contact him if so?

Thanks

K.Brazier
07-12-2005, 03:43 AM
mantid1,
I don't think you can call what he does Pong Lai.
If you asked him of the name he never heard of it.
That generation of students generally learned less about Mantis Boxing than the present generation.

It seems to be the habit of MA instructors. When they are young they don't give up the goods so easily.

When I came to Taiwan he was one of the elders in the class.
I was the first Westerner to show up. After they figured I was gonna stay he gave me such a beating I limped for two weeks.
Although I thought it was an expeience, I now know my shifu didn't like it. My shifu as well as many others of his generation won't say anything though. They will just pass out the rope and see what you do with it.

Seeing the new white boy, me, get beat and picked on(they called me Ah Mei-Beautiful girl)wasn't something that my shifu approved of.

So he wasn't keen on showing them a lot of his fighting methods.

Kevin

mantid1
07-12-2005, 05:38 AM
Wow.

Sounds like he may be an ass.

But I guess that you take that chance here in the States also. There are also Americans who control their students and beat the crap out of them. It seems that can happen anywhere.

Why do you think that instructors hold back? I see and hear about it all the time but just cant figure it out. Its my opinion if you never teach it you never know it. I begin to really understand a form after I have taught it about 20 times.

K.Brazier
07-12-2005, 04:08 PM
Yes, I agree, if you teach it you understand it better.
So teachers go around and teach different stuff in different locations.

My Shifu learned TJPM wooden dummy after I came to Taiwan(1989) and I saw him teaching it to his elder brother while no one was around.
Most of the students didn't even know there was a wooden dummy at the school.
well, just an example.

mantis108
07-12-2005, 04:44 PM
Yeah, GM Chiu told us in HK that he taught a lot of forms when he was young. But the last few years of his career he wanted us to focus on the Sau Fa (applications). But then at the time most people that were there have learned most of the forms already so...

I believe that we will see a change of focus as the length of the career grows. I think we (Kevin and I) had a conversation once that what if they passed away earily than expected? Many of the great stuff plus their personal insights would go to the grave with them. That would truely be the shame. Thank God, most great masters live pretty long or we will be at risk in losing the great stuff.

Warm regards

Robert

Three Harmonies
07-12-2005, 05:03 PM
That is why I teach non-baisedly. The way I look at it is that if they are serious they will train it until it is in their bones. If they are not too serious, they will not work on it, think about it, analyze it, develope it, and make it part of them.....so they will not get ****! Win / Win situation IMO. This may bite me in the short end someday, but for now it seems to work. I think people respect me more for my willingness to share and cut through the crap, more so than my skill (which needs tons of improvement!!) :o

mantis108
07-12-2005, 05:54 PM
I hear you. I think it's a great thing that you generously share what you have with the community. BTW, great article in the MQ. Thanks for sharing. :)

Warm regards

Robert