PDA

View Full Version : iron palm training

eadragon21
07-11-2005, 09:51 AM
Hey everyone-

I was just wondering if anyone on this thread has completed an iron palm training program and if so did it help them. I've been reluctant to start the program so far as I stay plenty busy with the rest of my training schedule and I'm not fully convinced if the benefits are worth the time. Please share your views or experiences.

Peace all!

Yaksha
07-11-2005, 02:28 PM
I get a lot of benefit from palm striking smooth telephone poles, lamp posts, and the like. I'm not sure if thats what you're talking about.

Just make sure that you don't bruise your hands- they're no good if you can't use them. Work up to more and more striking power; always use your whole body unity.

stonecrusher69
07-11-2005, 09:11 PM
Be careful with the training.Make you have supervision from someone who knows what they are doing other wise you could easly do parment damage.I trained Iron palm 3yrs 3times a day and devolped and eye twich I still have to this day.I'm sure it was from my careless training,

namron
07-13-2005, 05:58 AM
Better for developing short range power IMO than iron (tough) hands.

Hands have only so much resilience in certain parts, particulary the back of the had which is packed with thin bones (metacarpus).

Its good if you can stick with it but terribly boring.

Start slow and light and build on this.

I would avoid striking with the back of the hand as I dont see any great advantage vs risk of injury

Ali Rahim
07-13-2005, 03:50 PM
Hey everyone-

I was just wondering if anyone on this thread has completed an iron palm training program and if so did it help them. I've been reluctant to start the program so far as I stay plenty busy with the rest of my training schedule and I'm not fully convinced if the benefits are worth the time. Please share your views or experiences.

Peace all!

why Iron Palm? In the early days of Chang San- Feng the great hermit of Chi Kung, a lot of people were weak and sickly. And most of the monks were not able to stand up for a good fight. Chi theory and chi kung or iron palm were not applied to Chinese martial arts until the late Liang dynasty (502-557 A.D.) The monks use to easily break or hurt their hands during training, because of their weak bone marrow and bad blood flow to the hands. Iron palm is in the category of the Wai Dan chi kung, which strengthen the limbs.

Before you put the hands wash on or dit di jow. You should force the chi to your hand, by putting them in hot water. Try this out; just give your arm one good slap. You may feel a sting in the area of the slap and also a buzzing feeling, that buzzing feeling is chi coming to the rescue of the maybe damage area. And you will have a good buzzing feeling in your hands, when you pull them out of the water, and that’s when the dit di jow is applied.

Wilson said:

Do you have a recommendation for a commercially available jow or do you always make your own? There are so many on the market, its tough to sort through them all to see what is worthwhile.

Thanks!

Well with the dit di jow when you buy it commercially, its never top grade, it’s sometimes having only half the herbs too make the batch complete. But that’s ok if you know the right way to use it, far as preparation. Make sure you never wash your hands with any of type of hand wash. Stop the sink (drain), and stick your hands palm down, on the floor of the sink, then let the water raise up to your wrist or above the wrist, hot water that is. And never dry your hand off with anything just air dry. You do not want to contaminate your dit di jow, because its half grade anyway. If it’s in a squeeze bottle for commercial sales that’s bad, but it doesn’t mean you shouldn’t buy it, just simply rap the bottle up in some type of rag and put it in a paper bag, and store it a in a dark place for at least 3 months in complete darkness. To give the batch complete darkness for that long it makes the jow ferment like wine, and that’s very good. I do recommend finding a glass jar that’s big enough to fit at least three fingers in, so two of them can reach the bottom. Now when the fingers are wet with dit di jow you rub it around the wrist and the wrist bone, until it become slightly warm and do the same with each finger. And you must wet the two fingers for each application, the hands and fingers, wrists and elbows. My students and I use the 18 toastiest palm formula (dit di jow) which have 28 herbs in all. I teach my students to make it them self’s.

First thing you learn is how to sink your chi while in your stances. I know some of you must be saying what the h*ll is he keep taking about sinking your chi, (meaning calmness or strong root) what if someone runs up to you and throws you a beer and you catch it, would you open it right away, or what? I think you would wait until the contents of the can calms down, for what’s inside is very restless. The same goes for the stances (you must uses wide stances of your choice) if you don’t sink your chi before hitting the bags, you will cause all kinds of internal problems. Because; the shock from striking the bags will bounce back on you. Now when hitting the bags for the first month, bring the striking hand up to collarbone level and drop the hand naturally with no force at all, this is too develop muscle memory and timing for each hand position or strikes that is in your iron palm drill, and at the same time developing chi in the hands or heavy hand development. Oh yeah you must use correct brethren techniques, which I won’t go into right at this moment. Now the next month you bring the hands up to your solar plexus and use A little jing when striking, natural movements only. Developing close quarters heavy hand power. The third month do the same by bringing the hands up to the bellybutton, and drop the hand with total shen and jing control. Recommend qualified sifu by your side for the first month of training.

as you hit the bags with shen & jing control, your strikes should resemble a brick on a string. Picture this; a string tied around your body with a cement block, tied to the other end. When you throw the brick you will feel nothing, until the rope reach the end of the line. Then you will feel a natural jerk to the body. That is called nothing, nothing and sometime. Meaning the hands is nothing until the moment of impact.

Ali Rahim.

detroitwingchun.com (http://www.detroitwingchun.com)

Dale Dugas
07-13-2005, 04:22 PM
Jim Lacy and 18 Daoist palms is nothing but a con, cheat and a convicted felon who stole from an honorable man.

His herbs are not what they claim to be.

Avoid him at all costs.

More herbs does make it better.

In Boston,

Dale Dugas

Ali Rahim
07-13-2005, 04:38 PM
Jim Lacy and 18 Daoist palms is nothing but a con, cheat and a convicted felon who stole from an honorable man.

His herbs are not what they claim to be.

Avoid him at all costs.

More herbs does make it better.

In Boston,

Dale Dugas

Interesting Stuff,, I never seen any of his work…

Ali Rahim.

detroitwingchun.com (http://www.detroitwingchun.com)