PDA

View Full Version : For those who use cage head gear

XINDU
07-11-2005, 10:58 AM
Full-face caged helmets almost always result in this type of exchange. You can't do damage to each other, so you completely throw defense out of the window. And since you can't hurt the other guys, you just try to "score" more by hitting him more times than he hits you. It's what my club calls a "Pillow Fight". People just rapidly swing at each other.

The funny thing is some of these guys keep trying to chain punch, but on several occasions someone drops a semi-decent cross into the mix, and it completely upsets the flow of the chain-puncher. You've got to wonder what would really happen if that facemask wasn't there. Would the chain punches actually do damage? Would that right cross drop the other guy?

Hmmmmm.....

Don J
07-11-2005, 12:02 PM
Were required to use boxing head gear at my gym , although alot of people still spar with out one. I have never tried the face cage ones but i could see how it could give a false feel. The boxing ones atleast if hit you still feel it, but with that said head gear should be a must if you plan on sparring and the better you and your sparring partners get the more power you can release so the extra head protection will help greatly.

"People just rapidly swing at each other."

Your instructor should be keeping things controlled. My instructor always says
Sparring aint about hitting each other, its about working with each other

Thaegen
07-11-2005, 12:27 PM
So you are saying that with head gear, you don't feel anything. Well put a helmet on and I will swing a baseball bat against it.

But hey, I will train full contact with head gear, you do it your way.

Yaksha
07-11-2005, 02:49 PM
I think that chain punches are useful, though they're not a good method to always rely upon like many do. Round punches and off-centre attacks disrupt them effectively. I see chain punching as more of a principle of "if you can get one solid hit in, you can get several."

anerlich
07-11-2005, 04:47 PM
If you're doing non-predetermined weapons sparring with any power whatsoever, you need head and eye protection.

Lots of things, padding included, can give a false sense of security if overused. However, the effects of concussion are cumulative and the less steps you take to prevent it if you spar hard the stupider you will get. The effects of a weapon in the eye, however, are probably immediate and irreversible.

You've got to wonder what would really happen

Ah, speculation. A poor substitute for experimentation and exploration.

Ali Rahim
07-12-2005, 06:38 PM
IMO as far as Wing Chun is concerned, Head Gear/ Bird Cages as the saying goes are for the birds :D

LOL...

Ali Rahim.

detroitwingchun.com (http://wwwdetroitwingchun.com)

jonp
07-13-2005, 04:06 AM
IMO as far as Wing Chun is concerned, Head Gear/ Bird Cages as the saying goes are for the birds

what saying?

you guys are full of sh1t

namron
07-13-2005, 04:45 AM
You'll cop a hell of a belt from a well executed hook though.

The cage gives you some protection from low powered or glancing blows to the front of the cage by way of the better facial protection and susceptability to rolling the punch off.

Instead of throwing defence out the window you could attempt to clinch (knee/elbow) or work low kicks/knees/sweeps (i.e. inside/outside thigh) to bring the control to a different range?

Just suggestion but you may find working the scenarios at pace could better control the pace/mometum of the session.

Ali Rahim
07-13-2005, 05:05 PM
IMO as far as Wing Chun is concerned, Head Gear/ Bird Cages as the saying goes are for the birds.

[QUOTE=jonp]what saying?

you guys are full of sh1t

[QUOTE] Old Jong:

Imo sparring with a birdcage on your head and TKD chest protector and gloves is not specially "real contact" to me. Plus you admitted that you did not show your real Wing Chun.I'll wait for your next "more real" clips if you enjoy showing these things to the forum. See,I'm not sceptical! I believe you!

BTW,we should all follow Kathy Jo good advise!... This forum looks like a ****ing contest.

Ali Rahim.

detroitwingchun.com (http://www.detroitwingchun.com)

Ali Rahim
07-13-2005, 08:08 PM
A quote from “Pretty Tony” from the movie,, “The Mac”… Starring Max Julian…
“Keep your mouth shut,, when grown folks are talking”…

Ali Rahim.

detroitwingchun.com (http://www.detroitwingchun.com)

anerlich
07-13-2005, 09:55 PM
BTW,we should all follow Kathy Jo good advise!

If you're talking about Xindu getting off his soapbox, then I agree.

Ali Rahim
07-14-2005, 04:19 AM
If you're talking about Xindu getting off his soapbox, then I agree.

That’s another chapter,, from a different book… I wouldn’t know anything about that…

Ali Rahim.

detroitwingchun.com (http://detroitwingchun.com)