PDA

View Full Version : Wing Chun vs street fighters

XINDU
07-11-2005, 02:32 PM
remember a couple specific cases of MA guys in the toughman when i watched it on FX. The sad thing is that the training did not do much to help the majority of them. I remember one guy who was hyped in his intro for having a black sash in Wing Chun, but he couldn't punch worth crap and spent the majority of his fight cringing away and retreating fearfully from his opponent's barrage. He either got KO'ed in the first or second round. Another guy in the Police vs Firefighters tourney was a police karate instructor. First of all, the guy looked extremely out of shape. Secondly, his punching skills weren't any better than the last guy. Thirdly, he got punched a lot and seemed to have a heart attack or something and had to quit. However there was one black karate/boxer guy named Kenny "the Punisher" Pompey who enjoyed some moderate success in the toughman. Now that guy was pretty tough. He had his share of victories and always fought hard, although he lost in the championships. I also remember some young generation-x type snowboarder kid who also trained muay thai. His boxing skills were sloppy/mediocre at best but at least he knew how to take some punishment and dish a little back out. He won one match by decision and lost another by decision...in his second match he was clearly outclassed.

I don't understand all this crap about ego that people are talking about. Okay, so toughman contest doesn't always attract the most savory characters and there is a bit testosterone overload throughout it all. But we all have our own personal challenges that we wish to face. And as someone else said above, there are a crap load of MA'ists walking around with big egos to...and i'm not just tlaking about MMA types and fighters. Let's face it, half the reason people train in any MA today is for ego. Regardless of style, we all want to look ourselves in the mirror and have more confidence in what we see. We want to be able to know that we can out box or choke out that drunk a$$hole on the street, or we want to be praised for our black belts or whatever by those around us. Some of us are simply more willing to go out and put our ego on the line to see what we really have. If getting in the ring and testing your ability is not your cup of tea, then fine. But that is no reason to downgrade others who do it as having ego problems. IMO, that just shows how insecure you are. When it comes down to it, those who have this attitude seem to like to hide behind their martial artist status and convey some aura of humble controlled deadliness. But its all image. When the punches really fly, these guys simply don't have any real confidence in themselves or are deep down inside aware that they have no fighting skills. We should keep in mind that full contact competition is one very challenging avenue by which one can truly gauge their skill level. Its not necessarily about inflated egos. In fact, it shows that you are willing to put your ego on the line.

XINDU
07-11-2005, 05:49 PM
Wing Chun is very popular and claims to be one of the best arts for street defence etc. Yet there are lots of critics of this style and it seems to have a poor record in competitions. I've seen some video clips of Wing chun practitioners been badly beaten by other styles, yet those that practice are convinced of it's value.

Is Wing chun any good or is its bark worse than its bite? Is it a good art to mix, but ineffective by itself?

What do you think?

sihing
07-11-2005, 06:07 PM
Wing Chun is very popular and claims to be one of the best arts for street defence etc. Yet there are lots of critics of this style and it seems to have a poor record in competitions. I've seen some video clips of Wing chun practitioners been badly beaten by other styles, yet those that practice are convinced of it's value.

Is Wing chun any good or is its bark worse than its bite? Is it a good art to mix, but ineffective by itself?

What do you think?

I think there are too many self proclaimed "experts", and the people you have seen using WC and are defeated are not the ones to watch. Like anything worthwhile, it takes time and dedication to learn and perfect. Time and quality instruction and dedication to that practice makes a effective fighter, and most do not achieve this....

James

Liddel
07-11-2005, 06:55 PM
I agree with whats been said, but some people have to realise the type of person thats attracted to a given martial art.

Boxing, BJJ, JJ, Kickboxing etc generally attract the already natural fighter, street brawler that wants to learn a little more to kick a$$ and is ready and unaffraid to mix it up.

Kung Fu's on the other hand, attrack the less physical person (for the most part) who wants to protect themself from those other people that may or may not have bullied them at some point.

I myself now have alot more confidence in fighting because of my VT but would never claim that im the shiz....it has MAXIMISED my ability, but sooner or later i will find an adversary that is too much for my ability.

"Is Wing chun any good or is its bark worse than its bite? Is it a good art to mix, but ineffective by itself?"

VT IMO is great by itself and more formidable when you make it your own ! and mix it with your own personal style/s.

Its peoples perception of martial arts that any black belt can walk into a room and beat up 10 guys that creates this ego inflation.
No, a martial art is to maximise ones ability.
You can say a Martial artist is crap (any style) but perhaps these people should realise maybe he was even worse without it. Just MO

My car is 4wd, twin turbo, its good on gas and hasnt won any grand prix races but its a dam site faster than walking.
:)

kj
07-11-2005, 08:12 PM
I admire your humble perspective, Liddel. :)

Regard,
- kj