PDA

View Full Version : Batman-Fu

Vasquez
07-12-2005, 07:09 AM
The kung fu in batman begins seems quite different to the kung fu in the batman television series. And both are different to the kung fu used by David Carridine - which I still think is the best. What type of kung fu does batman know?

MasterKiller
07-12-2005, 07:21 AM
What type of kung fu does batman know? Batman doesn't do Kung Fu. He's more of a Judo/Jiu-Jitsu fighter.

Reggie1
07-12-2005, 07:32 AM
Didn't they mention ninjas during his training?

Kristoffer
07-12-2005, 08:01 AM
The famous Movie Fu Style

Chief Fox
07-12-2005, 08:06 AM
I've read a few articles and they were trying to make it look like Batman had his own unique fighting style. More of a hit 'em hard, hit 'em fast, very direct kind of style. Of course you can't tell by watching the movie because of all the fast cutting techniques they use with the fight scenes. <-- my only gripe on an otherwise great movie.

Chang Style Novice
07-12-2005, 09:12 AM
It worked in a few scenes, though, especially against the thugs in the warehouse. Soetimes you want a more suspenseful, unseen, scary kind of approach. I do wish there had been a little bit more clarity in the duels with Liam Neeson, though.

Mr Punch
07-12-2005, 09:20 AM
In general I really liked it, but as Chang says, the final fight with Ducard could have been better. It was a bit like a regular Pride viewing...!

The art is called Keysi Fighting Method and it's an offshoot of JKD, which sounds like every other offshoot of JKD.

Try reading this pitiful mag sometimes! (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=602)

GeneChing
07-12-2005, 09:22 AM
Batman uses a variation of Jeet Kune Do, the Keysi Fighting Method. Seriously, check it out... (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=602)

Mr Punch
07-12-2005, 09:32 AM
o - o - o ...?

PangQuan
07-12-2005, 11:02 AM
Are we talking the fighting used in the movie or the actual combat origins of the comic book character batman?

And dont be disapointed in the fight with Roz Aghul, if they will be following the comics hes about 400 years old and most definately not dead.

GeneChing
07-12-2005, 11:12 AM
actual combat origins of the comic book character batman Were there any actual combat origins? Who knows the 'real' root of Bat Fu? Wasn't it an aboriginal style? That would explain the bat-a-rang. ;)

SevenStar
07-12-2005, 11:24 AM
I want to say batman was a japanese style fighter. In the cartoon, they depicted him training with samurai, and his rival was a ninja that once trained with him. Also, back when the original batman movie came out, I recall a MA mag with an article titled "Was batman a ninja?" what jkd guy trains with shuriken and has the aim of becoming invisible? Look at the talks with neeson about mind control and perception... bats was a ninja.

PangQuan
07-12-2005, 02:08 PM
From the age of eight to his early twenties, Wayne trained and became a master in all forms of fighting using a hybrid style in combat. The skills he did not master, which were very few, he gained a rudimentary knowledge of. An example of his not mastering something fully was presented in Detective Comics issues 575 -578, which depicted Batman knowing familiarity of marksmanship with guns, but not a mastery of them because it was the instrument of his parent’s death. Added to that his physical prowess, he is difficult to defeat

The depiction of Bruce being trained by Roz Aghul in the movie is not far from the actual comic. He was partially trained by Roz Aghul and eventually does kill him (on accident of course)

He was trained by many people though, some of his training was not quite so secretive either. But there is a definate ninja atmosphere to his training. He even recieved some training from Alfred, who was an ex secret service agent from britan.

They touch on alfreds skill for a brief moment in the movie, after bruce falls down the well his father tells alfred to reset the bone and take him to get ex-rays later on.

The idea the Batman using Jeet Kune Do is not far off seing as how he trained in so many styles of martial arts, karate, ninpo, ninjitsu, kung fu, judo, jiujutsu, etc...
and that a large portion of his fighting experience comes from fighting for his life and life of others. Its only natural that he would use anything that would work and be as effiecent as he can, as Bruce Lee said, "Efficiency is anything that scores"

This is the kind of raw and to the point type of combat required by the dark night.

I KNOW I AM A d0rk!!!

Vasquez
07-13-2005, 05:11 AM
From the age of eight to his early twenties, Wayne trained and became a master in all forms of fighting using a hybrid style in combat. The skills he did not master, which were very few, he gained a rudimentary knowledge of. An example of his not mastering something fully was presented in Detective Comics issues 575 -578, which depicted Batman knowing familiarity of marksmanship with guns, but not a mastery of them because it was the instrument of his parent’s death. Added to that his physical prowess, he is difficult to defeat

The depiction of Bruce being trained by Roz Aghul in the movie is not far from the actual comic. He was partially trained by Roz Aghul and eventually does kill him (on accident of course)

He was trained by many people though, some of his training was not quite so secretive either. But there is a definate ninja atmosphere to his training. He even recieved some training from Alfred, who was an ex secret service agent from britan.

They touch on alfreds skill for a brief moment in the movie, after bruce falls down the well his father tells alfred to reset the bone and take him to get ex-rays later on.

The idea the Batman using Jeet Kune Do is not far off seing as how he trained in so many styles of martial arts, karate, ninpo, ninjitsu, kung fu, judo, jiujutsu, etc...
and that a large portion of his fighting experience comes from fighting for his life and life of others. Its only natural that he would use anything that would work and be as effiecent as he can, as Bruce Lee said, "Efficiency is anything that scores"

This is the kind of raw and to the point type of combat required by the dark night.

I KNOW I AM A d0rk!!!

Do you think Batman's style of fighting is properly represented in Justice League?

PangQuan
07-13-2005, 08:14 AM
If you mean the animation, then im sorry to say I have never seen it... :(

I dont watch tv so i miss out on alot of these programs, I was just a major comic book junkie when I was a kid.

I will try to download an episode or two and check it out. :p

GeneChing
12-03-2019, 09:37 AM
ASIA NOVEMBER 28, 2019 6:14AM PT
DC Comics Comes Under Fire for Deleting Batman Poster That Sparked Chinese Backlash (https://variety.com/2019/film/news/dc-comics-warner-brothers-batman-1203419190/)
By REBECCA DAVIS

https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2017/09/batman.jpg?w=1000&h=563&crop=1
CREDIT: COURTESY OF WARNER BROS.

DC Comics has yanked a poster for a new Batman title from its social media accounts after the image drew criticism from Chinese commenters who said it appeared to support the ongoing pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong.

The artwork depicts Batman throwing a Molotov cocktail against a backdrop of hot-pink words spelling out the new comic book’s tagline, “the future is young.” It was posted on DC Comics’ Twitter and Instagram accounts; both platforms are blocked in mainland China. The poster was meant to promote a forthcoming DC Black Label comic called “Dark Knight Returns: The Golden Child,” due to hit shelves Dec. 11. DC Black Label is an imprint that seeks to appeal to an older-skewing readership through reprints and original limited series.

But the poster came under fire from Chinese internet users who contended that it contained coded messages in support of Hong Kong’s pro-democracy protests. They said that the Molotov cocktail alluded to young Hong Kong protesters’ more violent tactics, that the “dark knight’s” choice of black attire referred to the black-clad Hong Kong protesters, and that the “golden child” of the book’s title was a veiled reference to the color yellow, which was taken up by previous pro-democracy protesters in Hong Kong five years ago.

“The black clothes represent Hong Kong, the mask represents Hong Kong, the Molotov cocktail represents Hong Kong, what else here doesn’t represent Hong Kong???” wrote one angry Weibo commenter. Another chimed in: “No matter what the reason, to put an image like this up at a sensitive time like this means you have a death wish.”

DC Comics has since removed the poster from its social media. A Beijing-based representative of Warner Bros. declined to comment on the move.

China is a critical market for Warner Bros., which owns DC Entertainment and DC Comics, its publishing subsidiary. “Aquaman” broke Chinese box office records last December to take in a cumulative $292 million, while “Shazam!” made $43.8 million in April.

With the “Batman” image, the company joins the ranks of Western entities like the NBA and Disney that have been thrown onto the minefield of Chinese politics, with Chinese nationalists threatening to boycott on the one hand and others lobbing criticism for seeming to sacrifice freedom of speech for profit on the other.

On Weibo Thursday, angry comments and discussion of the poster mixed with promotion for the new trailer of Warner Bros. “Birds of Prey,” which will debut stateside next February and is helmed by Chinese-American Cathy Yan.

In the meantime, DC Comics’ Instagram has been flooded with criticism from people who support the Hong Kong protests or are angry that the company appears to have given in to Chinese political pressure.

“So now Batman loves money more than justice?” asked one commenter.

Another wrote: “Apparently China rules the world now. The future is young? No, the future is censorship.”

THREADS
Hong Kong protests (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?23536-Hong-Kong-protests)
Batman-Fu (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?37491-Batman-Fu) we gotta lotta batman threads - i just picked this one randomly from the flock

@PLUGO
12-03-2019, 12:20 PM
Here it is, by illustrated by Brazilian artist Rafael Grampá

For those unaware, DC BLACK LABEL is their new Mature Readers imprint. Frank Millar wrote & illustrated the seminal DARK KNIGHT RETURNS . . . but alcoholism and bigotry have significantly diminished his more recent work.