PDA

View Full Version : bagua questions

Mr. Nemo
12-30-2000, 07:12 AM
I've taken some Yang tai chi from a school in San Diego, which is where I lived before moving to LA for college.

Since I don't have a car, I have a hard time getting around in LA, and haven't been able to find any tai chi schools that I'm interested in - but I have found a Bagua school that looks promising.

Here are some questions:

When I read people posting about Bagua around here, it seems very similar to Tai Chi - I hear about push hands drills in Bagua, for example. I've read that Tai Chi, Hsing I, and Bagua are often referred to as the "sister arts." I'd like to know how developed/regimented Bagua fighting is, for example - one of the things I liked about Tai Chi is the idea that as long as you follow the principles, at the highest level, anything goes - there's a big emphasis on developing natural/spontaneous/unthinking reactions and movements. Is this freedom present in Bagua as well?

I've gone to Bagua websites and while they contained some useful information, I couldn't get a good picture of what the art is really like. From experience, I know the futility of trying to explain in words how a martial art (especially an internal art) works - you have to do it to really get it, or at least I do.

My second question is, are there any signs or indications of whether or not a certain bagua school is any good? I know that Bagua never really became the health fad here in the states that Tai Chi did, but even so, I can only assume there must be some subpar Bagua schools.

Sam Wiley
12-30-2000, 07:37 AM
Yes, Bagua also promotes instinctive reaction to attacks. The forms and drills instill these things in Bagua just like in Taiji.

If you go to a Bagua school that makes any sort of claims of advanced ability, make them prove it.

Also, look for fighting drills and the like, and Push Hands and stuff. You don't want to waste time at a school where all they practice is forms all day. Basically, you should look for things that make it a martial art.

"To enter is to be born, to retreat is to die."
-An Old Taijiquan Saying

TaoBoxer
12-30-2000, 03:22 PM
Sifu Tsou is teaching in La and he is repotedly very good.... Same lineage as adam hsu. Look on the instructors list at <A HREF="http://WWW.hsing-i.com" TARGET="_blank">WWW.hsing-i.com</A> for his contact information

count
12-30-2000, 04:07 PM
At our school we learn bagua traditionally. There are exercises, forms, applications (including sparring) two man drills (like push hands but much more), weapons and weight training. There is also chi kung unique to bagua. Jason also teaches tai chi chuan, hsing-i, ba ji, piqua, longfist and praying mantis.

Bagua has it's simalarities to tai chi chuan and hsing-i but it has a distinctive flavor of its own. It has a spiraling energy to it like tai chi only more twisted.

The best indication of a teacher is watch the students. Do they move like the teacher? Do they fight like him/her? Is the lineage historically acurate? Jasons Teacher Master Lio learned bagua from Gung Pao Tien who learned from Yin Fu who learned from Dong Hai Chaun.

Here is a link for a video (http://kabooom.com/changes.html) that shows 64 palms but you need the quicktime plug-in to view it.

The class meets in the park where we have been for the past 20 years by
Monterey Highlands School 400 Casuda Canyon Dr.
Monterey Park,
CA 91754

http://kabooom.com/chikung.net/images/pakuat.jpg

maoshan
01-01-2001, 01:09 AM
I'd like to add a few more things to what's been written.
Look to see weather or not the students shoulders are up or down. Also pay attention to how they walk the circle. If they walk standing up, walk
away.

Does Jason Tsou Have a Phone # or E-Mail?
I'd appreciate the info.

I didn't find it on Mike Pattersons site.

Happy Newyear

Maoshan

:)

count
01-01-2001, 02:00 AM
I e-mailed you the information you were asking for. Just wanted to add to your constructive comment. Stand one full head down while walking the circle. Does this make sense to you?
:rolleyes:

maoshan
01-01-2001, 04:10 AM
Thank you for the info as well as the picture.
it shall be used.

peace
Maoshan :D

Mr. Nemo
01-01-2001, 05:04 AM
I believe I will check out Jasan Tsou (I hope I spelled that right)'s school.

And thanks for the tips on spotting correct practice - I think I get what you mean about sinking a head length below standing straight posture.

shenwu disciple
01-02-2001, 11:56 PM
Mr. Nemo,

Check out Tim Cartmell's school in Garden Grove. Here's his website: <A HREF="http://www.shenwu.com." TARGET="_blank">www.shenwu.com.</A>

Killah-B
01-03-2001, 12:54 AM
hey count do you know who's that performing?

Thanx

[This message was edited by Killah-B on 01-03-01 at 05:06 PM.]

count
01-03-2001, 02:39 AM
The person in the posted photo as well as the video is my teacher Jason Tsou.È

count
01-03-2001, 06:12 AM
You should recognize him or his style at least. Ask Sifu Leung about him. I was trying to get info on Sifu Leung's classes myself. Thinkin about moving to the east coast and it would be way cool if I could find a good teacher of the same style as I have been learning for the past 15 years. I hate to think about starting another style at this point. Any suggestions?0

Mr. Nemo
01-03-2001, 10:48 PM
Hey count...

When does that class meet, by the way?
And how can I get in touch with the instructor?

count
01-03-2001, 11:17 PM
Saturday at 9:00 AM would be the best time to start. E-mail me directly if you need directions.