PDA

View Full Version : Mix 'n' match

alpaca78
07-13-2005, 05:58 AM
What's the received wisdom about mixing neijia with weijia styles? I've got a bit of Xingyi under my belt, and I'm thinking of supplementing this with some southern Dragon.

(I posted this query in the neijia forum also.)

fiercest tiger
07-13-2005, 05:19 PM
Hsing Yi is still more of an external system to me as Dragon Style, i think Hsing yi has the same directional strikes as hsing yi but using different hands.

You could say dragon is just as internal as hsing yi if you want to compare both!!;)

FT

Shaolin Master
07-14-2005, 05:26 AM
Depends on the branch of Xingyi/xinyi.

PlumDragon
07-14-2005, 02:04 PM
I posted in your other thread as well:

Id stick with one or the other. Dragon does have some internal aspects, and really, the *essence* of Dragon is internal itself. But many Dragon styles have alot fo external components. My comment over there was, you might "get worse before you get better".

Hoep this helps!

YuanZhideDiZhen
07-15-2005, 12:22 AM
What's the received wisdom about mixing neijia with weijia styles?

the recieved smarta55 answer is that a wedgie pulled over one's eyebrows is bad for the recipient's clothing and self esteem. :D

but why would you want to clutter mind with attachments?

YuanZhideDiZhen
07-22-2005, 08:03 AM
there's a style called 'mind boxing' it's xing yi yiquan. that's about the most general combination of the concepts i can think of. southern dragon does not work well with the softer xing yi styles. sd requires a type of movement foreign to most of the xy i've seen. however, (as with all generalities there is an exception)in the bashi sets there is a dragon set that is interesting. that one combined with the xiao 13zhong form might produce some interesting effects rather quickly... :cool:

if i were to try a xy route i'd start with bagua. gau and yin. and impose that onto a nice long soft form. then add the xy movements for the critters to make a custom form to fit my needs... :cool: when that is well learnt you can then modify it by adding the southern dragon. sd is always the icing on the cake and not the cake itself.

where'd that jar of cyan pepper get off to?