PDA

View Full Version : Need info about working in China or TW teaching english

WanderingMonk
07-13-2005, 09:13 AM
Hello,

due to some unfortunated family circumstance, my family is looking to re-locate.

I am investigating going to teach English in either TW or China.

I have a BS engineering degree from a top US university for my discipline. no prior training in teaching english, had picked up enough english over the year to pass for native speaker.

info that I am looking for

1. who/what agency to contact to get such of positions/contract?
2. what's the requirement for obtaining such kind of position? (prior work experience, educations, testing, etc).
3. average compensation for different city and markets?
4. what type of visa or documents are needed for this type of work.
5. how long does it take to arrange for such type of employment?

basic requirements.
1. a contract that covers room and broad for three adults. we can live in a single room. it doesn't matter. just something that will accomodate three persons. My brother can teach as well, but he didn't finish college.

2. contract that is renewnable. with the possibility that my family can stay at the place for several year.

any assistence will be greatly appreciated.

TAO YIN
07-13-2005, 10:18 AM
Wondering Monk,

Check out www.eslcafe.com about teaching in China. If you look through the forums there you can get the questions to most of your answers. For jobs, check out www.chinatefl.com or www.tefl.com. Both of those websites have numerous openings for positions throughout China. There are of course many other websites. Anyhow, since you have a degree, it will be fairly easy for you to pick up a job if you can pass yourself off as a native speaker. Pick a school, check out what they offer, e-mail them, "guild the lilly" as you talk with them, get yourself a job, pack your stuff, get your documents, and get on the plane.

have fun

bodhitree
07-13-2005, 02:12 PM
prior to going you could check your locality for a literacy council and volunteer teaching esl just for a little experiance and training.

bodhitree
07-13-2005, 02:24 PM
prior to going you could check your locality for a literacy council and volunteer teaching esl just for a little experiance and training.

SPJ
07-13-2005, 07:09 PM
In Taiwan, you may contact YMCA or YWCA, They have 1 or 2 years contract and renewable.

You may try YMCA in Japan or China, too.

English teachers are in great demand over there.

YMCA is good. It is not serious or degree persuit. It is for adults that want to learn some English for fun.

:D

Mr Punch
07-13-2005, 09:32 PM
Yeah, YMCA is OK. It's an easy job for a couple of years, but it isn't going to advance your career any. They won't rip you off, like a lot of companies here and there.

But here' s a thought: if you have an engineering degree and if you have some experience why don't you go for an engineering job? More diffficult to find but better money and less chance of rip-off.

WanderingMonk
07-14-2005, 11:14 AM
Mat,

my family situation is difficult, so I am looking for something that can get me a job quick. if possible, engineering is great. but, that might take longer hence more problem.

SPJ,

my brother wants to know if YMCA and YWCA requires a degree to teach english with them? if you know, please reply. if not, don't worry about it.