PDA

View Full Version : Shaolin Shows in SF Bay Area

GeneChing
07-14-2005, 11:41 AM
There's a Shaolin Kung Fu exhibition coming to Flint Center (www.flintcenter.com) on 7/23/05. I can't resist their press promo copy:

Shaolin Kung-Fu - Chinese martial arts exhibition -
The culture of Yan Emperor and Huang Emperor is abundant of source flows; Chinese martial arts are famous, broad and profound in the world. Chinese traditional martial arts still occupy the prominent position in the world of Kung Fu with its rich cultural content. Each Chinese Kung Fu parties flows and becomes a strange view in Chinese civilization history with unusually brilliant results.
I'm not going because I'll be at Taiji Legacy that weekend. I heard that it is lead by a Shaolin wuseng and has nine performers.

There are so many Shaolin tours that come through our area, I thought I'd start to document them here, just for fun. There was a tour that just came through a few months back - it was rather controversial:
3/5/2005: Masonic Auditorium (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35698).

Flint Center has hosted Shaolin performances before:
3/17/2002: Wheel of Life (http://www.asianweek.com/2002_03_15/calendar_ae.html)
2/23/2003: Wheel of Life (http://www.wheeloflife.co.uk/tour/2003/usa_2.html)

GeneChing
07-15-2005, 10:00 AM
I just heard of another CMA show that has a Shaolin connection. Strength & Unity (http://www.intmat.com/) is coming to the San Jose Civic Auditorium on August 20-21 and they are using a monk-style image to promote their tournament/conference/extravaganza. Amidst Capoeira, lion danace, taiko, etc., there is a segement called "Spirit of Shaolin". I'll start backlogging the history of shows in the area here eventually.

Pk_StyLeZ
07-15-2005, 03:42 PM
my shifu(shi yan feng incase if u forgot..see u at dallas =) said another shaolin monk had traveled to california....i forgot the monk name and forgot which one..but my shifu told me he just went to california and had called zing wei up..and xing wei gave him yan feng number,.,..and told him about some competition coming up....i wonder if this InMat thing is the one he was talking about..hmmmmm

know anything about a new shaolin monk in cali?

Pk_StyLeZ
07-15-2005, 03:44 PM
http://www.intmat.com/teams.htm

HEY THERE MY SCHOOL NAMES!!!
shaolin kung fu jing wu yuan..
interesting...
i see xing wei school name there too..and i tink i see xing ying school name on there too
interesting..hmmm
dont tink i can go though..i tink schools starts back up for me that week..not sure..blah

GeneChing
07-18-2005, 02:08 PM
The Shaolin Chan Wu Xue Yuan is Dr. Richard Russell's school, make no mistake about that. I think he got the name from Xinghong, who was trying to franchise internationally. Xingwei was brought out by Doc on a contract to work there. The word is that Xingwei has violated that contract and is on the run.

Pk_StyLeZ
07-18-2005, 02:15 PM
well i jus say xing wei school..since he was the teacher there so i use his name..sorry if i offended anyone

GeneChing
07-19-2005, 01:20 PM
...but we're all still wondering where Xingwei will pop up.

I found out a little more about the Flint Center show this weekend. Apparently it comes from some Henan organization - something to do with a society for Henan people abroad or something. I'm completely unclear on the amount of monks and such now, but I hear there are also acrobats and dancers involved. I've also heard that there is some sort of free show in SF on Friday, then the show at the Flint the next day. I was just asked if I want tickets, but of course, I'll be at Taiji Legacy (http://www.chinwoo.com/2005tcl/).

Pk_StyLeZ
07-19-2005, 07:24 PM
wow xing wei disappeared??

so ths flint center thing is the same weekend as taiji legacy..aww so u will have any people covering the flint center so u can keep us updated about it?

what about the IntMAT..know anything about that??..ever find out or hear about a new monk appearing in cali??..apparently there is because my sifu said he called him..and he invited my sifu to a show/competition in august too..and i am guessing it is the samething as IntMAT since our school name is on there...so yeah....

well see u at taiji legacy....i wish it was now..i want to get it over with..i have not been trainin as hard as i was last year.....i just want to get it over with...i am so out of shape...ahhh!!!!!!!! 2 days left to practice!!

GeneChing
07-20-2005, 09:52 AM
...you konw, we'd go nuts if we tried to cover all the Shaolin and Shaolin-style shows in the area now. I guess that's partly the point of this thread. I have some friends going to the show this weekend, so I should get an informal report and I'll let you know.

As for monks in this area, there are some performance monks here already. I did an article on them a while back, in our Jan Feb 2004 issue (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=436) - Shaolin's second wave.

As for IntMAT, it's mostly the brainchild of Ann Woo, who is the executive director of the Chinese Performing Artists of America. She's done a lot of great work promoting Chinese arts - I think this is her first venture into Chinese martial arts.

See ya at TJL!

Pk_StyLeZ
07-20-2005, 06:49 PM
ooooo i see
know the name of the two monks?
got pictures?beside the one in ur magazine obviously..lolz

GeneChing
07-21-2005, 09:48 AM
See, that was part of the point of that article. There is a new generation of monks that I've dubbed the Second Wave - these are wuseng that have only been indoctrinated for a performance tour, then they leave the order immediately after. Many, like these two, did the bulk of their training outside of Shaolin. The two featured in this article were Chen Fei (who took the name Yanfei) and Ben Zhang (http://benskungfu.com/) (who took the name Xingzhen). They were working together for a short peroid, then Chen Fei split off to join CPAA (http://www.chineseperformingarts.org) as their Assistent Wushu Director (he was with my master Sifu Tony Chen and the O-Mei Kung Fu Academies (http://www.usaomei.com) prior to going to Ben). Ironically, CPAA has some connection to IntMAT. Anyway since then, Chen Fei has split off again to form his own school, which I know I have the contact info for somewhere on this chaotic mess I call a work desk, but I can't find it just now.

Maybe now you get a little taste of the crazy Shaolin environment we have here in the SF Bay Area. And this is just the Songshan Shaolin circles. It gets even nuttier when you look at the traditional circles and the wushu circles...

Pk_StyLeZ
07-21-2005, 08:09 PM
thanx for all the info and links

well gotta go get pack my stuff for dallas..see u this weekend gene..=)

well i shouldnt be that hard to spot..i will be with all the people in yellow clothes..yes this year we are yellow people..not orange people(haha inside joke from lipeng competition for the others that dont know)

GeneChing
07-22-2005, 09:50 AM
See ya there, cousin! I'm leaving in a few hours...

GeneChing
07-25-2005, 03:13 PM
So I got one report this morning. Apparently the show was disappointing. The head monk was Shi Yansen, who is a head wuseng coach at Shaolin Temple apparently. He lead a group of a dozen monks, including a big older guy that I only know as Zhou Laoshi (teacher Zhou). It's unclear if they were there in 'official capacity' (meaning Abbot approved). But the show was only partly Shaolin monks - there was a lot of music and dance and acrobats. The Shaolin performance was only two small portions of the show, less than half an hour sum told, so the people who went to see Shaolin kung fu were sorely disappointed. What they got was mostly wushu and only a few minutes of traditional (but your often lucky to see any traditional at all). It's too bad really, since it again sullies the Shaolin name in the eyes of the general public...

Pk_StyLeZ
07-25-2005, 04:45 PM
o thanx for the update on the show

nice seeing u agian at taiji legacy also

when will the report of taiji legacy be in the kung fu magazine?

GeneChing
07-26-2005, 09:45 AM
The TJL report will be in our Nov Dec issue, on newsstands in early October. I did catch a pic of you doing your dao form, as well as the group award shot, but it'll be up to the graphic artist (Design Sifu) on what is used in the final layout. We didn't pursue the forum members shots that aggressively this year - there are too many forum members at TJL...

Pk_StyLeZ
07-26-2005, 03:25 PM
haha ya i notice there was a lot of forum poster on here as i went to the other board and saw...probably would be hard to get a roll call on all the members..since the competiton is pretty big and a lot of people everywhere..be hard to find everyone...well let see if i make it into the magazine..=)

GeneChing
08-22-2005, 09:55 AM
Last weekend was the *new* International Martial Arts Festival in San Jose, CA (www.intmat.com). It featured seminars, a tournament and two nights of demos. I went to the first night, which featured performances by San Jose Taiko, Ballet San Jose Silicon Valley, the Chinese Performing Artists of America, Lion Dance by Yau Kung Moon, Tai Chi by Li's Kung Fu, Capoeira by Palo Alto Capoeira, Wushu by the Wuhan Wushu Team and a segment called Spirit of Shaolin, which is why I'm posting it here. The Spirit of Shaolin segment was quite good actually. The group called themselves 'China Shaolin' but it was really a group of Shaolin wuseng and disciples. Never in their performance did they call themselves monks, only Shaolin masters, since most of them were only disciples, but skilled nonetheless. They opened with bows to a Tamo altar, then did a mellow 8 section brocade to typical new-age Buddhist music. Then the exploded in a flamboyant display of Shaolin kung fu and wushu, mostly the flashy stuff, but a smattering of traditional forms like qixing. That was all to some big-beat dance music. For the end, four perofrmers did the metal-bar-over-the-head break, which was different since usually this stunt is only done by one at a time. What fascinated me most is that these performers don't usually work together, in fact I doubt they even rehearsed, but still pulled off well-paced entertaining show. Lots of *wow* factor. Judging on the audience reaction, it was clearly one of the strongest acts in the show (although the Wuhan troupe was very good, which is remarkable since Wuhan is more know for its Sanda than its Taolu). Shi Xingwei, formerly from Las Vegas and Shi Xingying from Houston performed, accompanied by Shaolin disciples De Zhengxu (I don't know his diciple name) and Chen Fei (Yanfei). The tournament director was Xingle Ye (Shi Yanxing). I actually felt a moment of inspiration, a little kindle of Shaolin fire, during the performance, which is saying a lot since I see a lot of these and have become rather jaded, I'm afraid. To see all these wuseng and disciples pull together quickly and throw down a decent show was quite nice.

GeneChing
08-29-2005, 11:55 AM
...but this seemed to be the best thread for me to post this on.

Eldorado Presents American Premier of Chun Yi: The Legend of Kung Fu

(Reno, Nev.) – The American debut direct from Beijing, Chun Yi: The Legend of Kung Fu is a unique theatrical production which celebrates the philosophy and skill of the martial art of Kung Fu through story-telling, dramatic design, choreography, flying acrobatics and breath-taking music. This production breaks the mold with its clear and delightful storyline and its unique blending of ballet, modern dance and Kung Fu movement. Premiering in the intimate Eldorado Showroom September 13, the show continues through January 1.

The company of 65 features a cast of young Kung Fu practitioners, dancers, and acrobats, all of them professional performers from all regions of China, including 5 boys under the age of 12, already well-advanced in their training, and clearly delighted with their early chosen profession.

The performers are not only skilled in Kung Fu martial arts, but are also trained in, and quite impressive in their theatrical presentation. The dancers and acrobats add new dimensions to the exploration of the movements and discipline of Kung Fu. The action is continuous and the drama is breathtaking. A young boy, brought by his mother, enters the Temple of Kung Fu and trains to become a monk in the Kung Fu tradition. The master begins the boy’s apprenticeship, giving him the name “Chun Yi”, the Pure One. As he grows and develops, he learns the physical skills of Kung Fu but also learns he must withstand temptations of the heart along the way and throughout his life in order to maintain his discipline and Kung Fu focus. Chun Yi meets the challenges, falls for and overcomes temptation and finally attains the honor of being named Master, becoming a wise teacher for the next generations.

Developed at the Beijing Red Theatre by China Heaven Creation, one of China’s leading performing arts producers, Chun Yi: The Legend of Kung Fu has impressed audiences and critics alike all over the world. Says Ian Trafford of Stage by Stage in London, “I work in the theatre industry in Britain, and I would say that this is one of the best shows I have ever seen anywhere, including the West End and Broadway. The design is stunning, with one gorgeous idea after another. The flying is breath-taking and the lighting is very effective. Congratulations on an unforgettable evening!”

Director and Playwright Su Shijin has interwoven emotion and action by skillfully combining traditional martial arts movement with evocative dance, ballet and flying acrobatics. Scriptwriter Gao Liting has captured the story of a young boy seeking enlightenment while the powerful music by Zheng Bing underscores the entire production, including the haunting theme song, The Lotus Blossoms Silently. Set designer Han Lixun has created a vast and interactive environment enhanced by the dramatic lighting effects of Rang Ruiguo.

Chun Yi: The Legend of Kung Fu plays the Eldorado Showroom September 13 through January 1. Tickets are available from $30.95. For information and show times call the Eldorado at 1-800-648-5966 or 775-786-5700 in Nevada. Visit the Eldorado online at eldoradoreno.com.

Pk_StyLeZ
08-29-2005, 04:57 PM
so any news on xing wei and where he plan to settle down at?
did u talk to him?

thanx for the update
any pictures?or will it be in your magazine?

GeneChing
08-30-2005, 09:33 AM
Yes, I did see Xingwei, at both the IntMat event above and at NCCAF the weekend before (which I didn't bother to mention here). I think he was hanging out with Shi Yanxing, but I'm not sure. I have no idea what his plans are. I'm not sure that he knows.

GeneChing
09-16-2005, 10:13 AM
The lastest Shaolin monk show (and sorry for being tardy about adding this one to the thread) is West America (http://www.westamtournament.net/). I say I'm tardy because it's a Tiger Claw sponsored event (http://www.tigerclaw.com/events/) and it's being co-promoted by my Sifu, Tony Chen (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=454) of USA O-Mei Academy (http://www.usaomei.com/). That being said, you'd think I'd know more about who will be coming to this. There is a contigent of disciples that are in our area - Chen Fei, Ben Zhang and Xu Dezhang - but they are actually part of their own schools. However, the schools in our area have been supporting each other in the tournaments. Sifu Tony has been assisting Shi Yanfeng, not to be confused with the Yanfeng in Houston, but the one mentioned in our article in the Shaolin Special 2005 (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=590). Also, I know Sifu Tony met with Shi Yansen and the group that came out for the Flint Center show mentioned on the previous page, just because there's a picture of him with them at our studio. So who will be representing Shaolin at this show, I don't know.

The most ironic thing is that I'm already firmly booked for Sep. 24th, so I won't be able to go. I know that Sifu Tony is putting together a fight night - USA vs. China - in November I think. The same "Monks of Shaolin" are being advertised for that. As soon as I get more data on that, like a website, I'll post it here.

Pk_StyLeZ
10-03-2005, 09:57 AM
there is a shaolin monk show in vegas right now?
do you know anything about a shaolin monk show in las vegas right now?my sifu shi yan feng told me about it and said its going on right now?

GeneChing
10-04-2005, 10:09 AM
Maybe it's the Chun Yi show, posted above and elsewhere now (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38644). I thought that was only going to Reno.

As for the West America show, I hear it was quite small. I'm suspicious about who the 'monks' might have been.

Pk_StyLeZ
10-04-2005, 12:19 PM
hm i will try to get more details this weekend when i go to class, not a promise though.

the chun yi show looks really interesting, i saw the trailer they had on the website. looks good

GeneChing
10-10-2005, 12:21 PM
OK, this isn't a Shaolin show at all, but there was an article in the SF Chronicle on Shaolin this weekend (in the Insight section, no less). Check it out. (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/10/09/INGSOF3G8O1.DTL&hw=shaolin&sn=001&sc=1000)

GeneChing
03-01-2006, 11:17 AM
There are two performances of this tour (12:30 & 7:00) scheduled for the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium, San Francisco, CA on 3/12/6. Two more (same schedule) will be the next day at Scottish Rite Auditorium, Oakland, CA. I'm not sure, but I thought I heard there was going to be a 3rd show in the south bay. I haven't found a website for it, but it's being heavily advertised on Chinese TV and had an ad in the S.F. Chron's entertainment section last Sunday. I'm not sure who the promoter is, or who is involved.

We just heard from John Leung who caught another Shaolin show in Singapore. He said it was like a broadway show with singers and dancers in between demonstrations. The president (if that's the proper term for Singapore's leader) attended the entire performance.

I don't know if either of these shows are 'official' as in has the blessings of Songshan Shaolin. After Chun Yi and the Abbot's attempt to trademark, 'official' might be a moot point.

GeneChing
03-02-2006, 11:38 AM
Here are the listings for "Shaolin Kung Fu" out of the ad in today's SF Chronicle:

March 12th - 12:30PM & 7:00PM
Bill Graham Civic Auditorium, SF
415-392-4400 www.cityboxoffice.com www.tickets.com

March 18th & 19th - 7:00PM
Flint Center, Cupertino
408-864-8916 www.ticketmaster.com

March 26th - 12:30PM & 7:00PM
Scottish Rite, Oakland
415-392-4400 www.cityboxoffice.com www.tickets.com

Chen Fei (Yanfei) stopped by yesterday and was just as curious as we were to know who was behind this tour. The ad is small and provides no clues.

GeneChing
03-08-2006, 10:17 AM
Apparently this troupe is being brought over by a private promoter outside the martial world. It's being heavily advertised within the Chinese community and only minimally promoted outside. It's reported to be a troupe of 30+ performers from one of the schools in nearby Dengfeng. Ticket prices are $88, $68, $48 & $30. Most of us are skeptical that the SF Bay Area can support 6 performances over three weeks, but we'll see how it goes. It looks like we might have a line on some passes...

Pk_StyLeZ
03-08-2006, 06:13 PM
Apparently this troupe is being brought over by a private promoter outside the martial world. It's being heavily advertised within the Chinese community and only minimally promoted outside. It's reported to be a troupe of 30+ performers from one of the schools in nearby Dengfeng. Ticket prices are $88, $68, $48 & $30. Most of us are skeptical that the SF Bay Area can support 6 performances over three weeks, but we'll see how it goes. It looks like we might have a line on some passes...

tell them to come to houston and perform too =D
and give me some passes too while u at it
=D =D

GeneChing
03-16-2006, 12:22 PM
One of Shaolin's most interesting photographers, Justin Guariglia (http://www.fotofest.org/ff2006/discoveries.php?artist=10), is showing at Houston's FOTOFEST 2006: The Eleventh International Biennial of Photography & Photo-Related Art, March 10 - April 23, 2006. I just heard from Justin - he's headed to Houston now, so his exhibit must be debuting very soon. Justin works for National Geographic and did that unprecedented Smithsonian photo essay on Shaolin back in 2002. He also did the Shaolin portrait that was in the last Amnesty International Calendar (https://secure3.ctsg.com/amnestyusa/store/viewProduct.asp?Product=454&CategoryName=Calendars&CategoryId=16) - see my article Shaolin & Amnesty International in our Jan Feb 2006 issue (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=632).

I'm dying to see his exhibit, but I can't go to Houston, just for this...:(

GeneChing
05-02-2006, 02:27 PM
I just met four disciples from Shaolin that will be performing as a special added treat at our only local Tiger Claw Elite Championship Qualifier, the Ultimate Internationals (http://ultimateinternationals.com/), in Santa Clara, CA, May 5-6, 2006. Working with the cooperation of Shaolin disciple Chen Fei (see above), we managed to bring in these four, who were previously in the US for the Chun Yi tour. They will be performing a very short demo in the morning as part of the opening ceremonies.

To catch up on Tiger Claw Elite Championships, see our thread on the TC Media forum (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39267) or simply go to www.tigerclawelite.com (http://www.tigerclawelite.com/)

GeneChing
05-09-2006, 05:02 PM
The Shaolin disciple demo was ok. Chen Fei, De Zhengxu and some others joined the visiting four disciples, whose names I didn't catch unfortunately. They started with an rahter dramatic eight-section brocade, then showed their animal styles - tiger, leopard, scorpion, toad, duck and monkey. They did some sparring forms, some synchronized stuff, some tongbei, a little iron head (a two metal bar break), and some weapons demos. They did it all to a little boom box which I had to point the mike at (I was the MC :eek: ) and I thought about calling out what was going on to give it all some context, but I didn't know what was coming and I thought I might blank on something. Besides, I had to do all this other stuff for the tournament all day, so I figured I could rest while these guys were doing their thing. It probably could have used some explaination, since there were a lot of TKD and Karate people who didn't really know what they were looking at. And I could have easily described the action. Maybe next time. Then again, maybe not.

GeneChing
05-16-2006, 03:49 PM
Just for the record, as if anyone is keeping track beyond me, here are the names of the Shaolin performers at the last Tiger Claw Elite Championship Qualifers:
Chen Fei (Yanfei)
Chen Zhen (Yanzhen)
De Zhengxu (Xingzhang)
Si Zhiqiang (Yanqiang)
Song Zhennan (Yannan)
Wu Mingan (Yongzhen)
Xi Gangxia (Yonghao)
Ye Xinglie (Yanxing)

GeneChing
06-20-2006, 02:34 PM
Strength & Unity 2006 was again held in the San Jose Civic Center on Sunday June 18, 2006. This year had a nice showing of Shaolin monks and disciples from our immediate area, Houston, Las Vegas, and of course, China. I'm not going to sort out the names of who performed and such, because it was somewhat muddled in terms of who was there and who actually performed. I'm just going to list exactly what is written in the program.

Shaolin Monks - showcase of Shaolin kung fu
Performers: Priest Xing Ying, Priest Xing Wei, Priest Yan Feng, Priest Xing Hao, De Zheng Xu, Xing Lie Ye, Fei Chen, Xi Gang Xia, Giu Wu Li, Xue Qiang Lv, Chuan Wang Xhou, Ming An Wu, Zhen Chen, Zhen Nan Song, Zhi Qiang Si
Note that many of the names are parallel to the post above (they are the locals and new FOB disciples). It was a good show considering the showcase, definitely the centerpiece of the performance, which also included Ernie Reye's Action Team and several dance performances. There was an amusing variation of the pull-the-bowl-off-my-stomach trick because it was prefaced by a drunken style form by the bowl-sucker performer. Two other drunken style performers pulled the hapless audience member off the bowl. Aslo, one performer ripped a phone book in half, but it was strangely unconvincing. Yan Feng, now sporting a full head of hair, did a ditang routine after the Shaolin performance was done. He was dressed in a red and white modern wushu uniform, and I wouldn't have even recognized him had ne not come up to me and said "hello".

Pk_StyLeZ
06-20-2006, 10:15 PM
Strength & Unity 2006 was again held in the San Jose Civic Center on Sunday June 18, 2006. This year had a nice showing of Shaolin monks and disciples from our immediate area, Houston, Las Vegas, and of course, China. I'm not going to sort out the names of who performed and such, because it was somewhat muddled in terms of who was there and who actually performed. I'm just going to list exactly what is written in the program.

Note that many of the names are parallel to the post above (they are the locals and new FOB disciples). It was a good show considering the showcase, definitely the centerpiece of the performance, which also included Ernie Reye's Action Team and several dance performances. There was an amusing variation of the pull-the-bowl-off-my-stomach trick because it was prefaced by a drunken style form by the bowl-sucker performer. Two other drunken style performers pulled the hapless audience member off the bowl. Aslo, one performer ripped a phone book in half, but it was strangely unconvincing. Yan Feng, now sporting a full head of hair, did a ditang routine after the Shaolin performance was done. He was dressed in a red and white modern wushu uniform, and I wouldn't have even recognized him had ne not come up to me and said "hello".

i got some videos and pictures of shao feng in that white and red uniform that i need to upload onto the website....but my stupid desktop has a virus on it. and im to lz to fix it. blah.
but anywayz,
nice reviews....now any pictures??*shao feng probbaly has a lot for me to upload for the webste which will take me another 103912 months to do) hahaha

GeneChing
06-21-2006, 09:17 AM
It was father's day, so I wasn't working really. I just went for fun although I might write it up for the mag because there's some interesting aspects to it. We'll see.

Meanwhile, what's more interesting for this thread is Shaolin's progress here in the gold mountain of SF. I just met four new monks at Tony Chen's school, the USA O-mei Academy (http://www.usaomei.com). Will my current master retain one or two? Perhaps. Also there's this, the Shaolin Foundation (http://shaolinsf.org/) (not to be confused with our own Friends of Shaolin branch of the Tiger Claw Foundation (http://www.tigerclawfoundation.org)). And lastly the cipher to much of this - our new San Jose Shaolin branch, Shaolin Kungfu Chan (http://kungfu111.com/index.htm). And there's more to come. :cool:

Shaolindynasty
06-21-2006, 09:37 AM
That's interesting. Is that a common name for a shaolin school? I just came across this site for shi xing wei a couple weeks ago

http://www.xingwei-kungfu.com/index.html

GeneChing
06-21-2006, 03:56 PM
My understanding is that Xingwei was on the same tour with Ye Xinglie (aka Yanxing - he has the same parallel issue with his given name and his Shaolin name like Wang Deqing aka Xinghong). Earlier this morning, someone here was noodling around Ye's site and wound up on Xingwei's site through a link, but now I can't find that link. They are Shaolin brothers and friends. In fact, it was Xingwei that introduced me to Ye Xinglie the first time we met. I think that was at the Berkeley tournament (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36106) last year, but I can't remember exactly. Ye gave me his brochure, and I was looking for it the other day, but I couldn't find it. My Shaolin files are a huge mess now. Overflowing. Anyway, I'm struggling to remember all the names of the new local monks and disciples. It's all very confusing.

Pk_StyLeZ
06-21-2006, 07:37 PM
so there are a lot of monks/disciples in the united states now?
and all the new ones are in san francisco?
does anyone know how the one in new york are holding up with guolin? they still there?
so many...we should have a shaolin party..but lets hold it in houston..so i can go..yeah i am selfish..haha =D =p =p

GeneChing
06-22-2006, 09:22 AM
I lost track like two Shaolin specials (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=500) ago...

GeneChing
09-29-2006, 11:18 AM
This doesn't really count as a Shaolin show since I'm not sure there is anyone from Shaolin in it. However, like Chun Yi (which did have some Shaolin graduates) I think Terracotta Warriors is derivative of the live Shaolin shows. We discussed TW a while back here. (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42153)

It's playing three corners of the Bay again, S.F., the Si Valley, & Oaktown, which really saturates the market. I'm not sure why these Chinese promoters think they can drum up that much of an audience. I thought about going but it's too expensive and I didn't feel like hustling up a comp for it.

It got panned in the Chronicle with a snoozing man (second lowest rating, the lowest is an empty seat).

Made in China and (unfortunately) exported to the U.S. (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/09/28/DDGIULD7241.DTL&hw=terracotta+warriors&sn=001&sc=1000)
Robert Hurwitt, Chronicle Theater Critic
Thursday, September 28, 2006

Terracotta Warriors: Action musical. Written and directed by Dennis K. Law. (Sight, Sound & Action. Through Friday at Flint Center for Performing Arts, De Anza College, Cupertino. Tickets: $40-$95. (408) 998-8497. Also Wed.- Oct. 8. Paramount Theatre, 2025 Broadway, Oakland. Tickets: $45- $95. (510) 635-8497. And Oct. 11-15, Orpheum Theatre, 1192 Market St., San Francisco. Tickets: $45-$102. (415) 512-7770. Two hours, 25 minutes. www.sightsoundaction.com.)
Acrobatic dancers leap high, somersault in midair or engage in a passionately energetic pas de deux as recorded orchestral strings surge with shopworn Hollywood-score passion. Bevies of beauties in fabulous Qin Dynasty costumes parade in pageants as static as an under-rehearsed high school show. Dynamic Mongol and Chinese warriors execute ferocious martial arts choreography to what sounds like a take on the standard posse-chase galloping music from an old Western.

Little more than a week after the Suzhou Kun Opera Theatre's revelatory "Peony Pavilion" graced the Cal Performances series, the "Terracotta Warriors" that opened Tuesday at Cupertino's Flint Center looks more like a parody than another major import from China. It's the latter, though.

"Terracotta" is a huge, action-packed spectacle by Sight, Sound & Action, China's only privately owned theatrical company. Though previously seen in Canada, it's now receiving its U.S. premiere in a short tour that moves to Oakland's Paramount Theatre next week and then to San Francisco's Orpheum.

The blend of Chinese and Western influences is no accident either. Hyperbolically billed as "the greatest Chinese performing arts spectacle ever to tour North America," "Terracotta" is meant to be a new theatrical form its creator, Dennis K. Law, calls "action-musical." The idea, in brief, is to combine the more acrobatic elements of Chinese opera and other genres, as well as Chinese dance, design, stories and instruments, with some Broadway pizzazz, European tonalities and other Western influences.

The result, in "Terracotta," is an eye-popping array of sumptuous costumes, bursts of sharply executed acrobatic and martial arts activity and what looks like a very capable ensemble trapped in an ineptly conceived, frenetically plodding show. Yes, I know that sounds like an oxymoron. Law, a retired surgeon from Denver turned Beijing impresario, doesn't seem to realize that a package of two dozen very short, action-packed scenes is a recipe for audience attention deficit disorder.

Written, produced and directed by Law, "Terracotta" is the story of China's first emperor, Qin Shi Huang, from the beginning of his reign through key historic episodes (such as building the Great Wall) to his burial with the huge army of terra-cotta warriors that protects his tomb. There's no dialogue. The story is told through more or less illustrative movement scenes, preceded by Supertitle synopses. Various members of Law's very large company alternate in all the principal roles.

There's a love interest, of course -- the tragic (but triumphant after death) tale of Emperor Qin's favorite concubine, Meng Ying (a lovely, sensuously flexible Zhao Shan, Tuesday), and her enslaved true love, Yang Ming (a smoldering, athletic Chen Li). Their story plays out in balletic duets, complete with dancing "water sleeves" (Zhang Jian Ming's and Jonathan Feng Han's choreography blending Chinese and Western moves to beguiling effect), accompanied by arias sung by a nearby soprano. The badly over-miked songs are fairly pedestrian, but soprano Zou Hui (Tuesday's vocalist) sells them with great focus and lovely, full tones.

There's attempted comic relief as well. Zhao Gao (Tian Ye, whose impressive acrobatic talents are underemployed until the curtain call), the emperor's eunuch, smirks and minces about to occasional comic effect. Liu Nanxi, as the Queen Mother, and Li Xin (a soldier) execute a very funny, acrobatic copulation dance.

The carved wooden screens and painted backdrops (palaces, the Great Wall, a sandy desert) of Tu Ju Hua's sets are impressive. Most of Mo Xiao Min's imperial, warrior and concubine costumes are gloriously ornate. The bursts of acrobatics and martial arts ("action choreography" by Fan Dong Yu and Liang Huiling) are expertly performed, if tiresomely repetitive. Consummate percussionist Jin Tao provides dynamic live accompaniment.

Unfortunately, Jin's contributions are often subsumed in the banal waves of Hao Wei Ya's recorded score, which, to my ears, sounds like a synthesis of bad Hollywood and Soviet film music, with occasional lyrical relief. Though Sun Wen Long cuts a commanding figure as the emperor, and moves with astonishing definition in his energetic dance scenes, he has to spend too much time looking melodramatic in Law's flat, inchoate stagings.

At least the lovers Meng Ying and Yang Ming are as made for each other as, well ... yin and yang. Zhao's anguished solo over the corpse of her lover, her impossibly long sleeves cutting dramatic patterns through space, is one of too few riveting moments in the show. So, counterintuitively, is the explosively acrobatic curtain call. But it's too little too late. "Terracotta" has long since revealed its feet of clay.

GeneChing
11-20-2006, 11:34 AM
I got this forwarded from Justin Guariglia (see top post on this page). I debated posting this one on the K-Star thread (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39272) because I think Peter Shiao was the same person I interviewed regarding K-Star (although he gave his name as Peter Hsiao).

Shaolin Temple and the 21st Century
Sponsored by USC East Asian Studies Center, U.S.-China Institute, USC Center for Religion and Civic Culture

Monday, November 20, 2006 : 12:00pm to 1:30pm

University Park Campus
Trousdale Parkway
Tommy Trojan

Free

Filmmaker Peter Shiao, U.S. liaison to the Shaolin Temple, speaks and gives a martial arts demonstration.
Shaolin Temple occupies a unique place in Buddhist history. It is known as the place in which the Indian monk Bodhidharma developed Chan teachings ("Zen" in Japanese, "Son" in Korean) in the 6th century. At Shaolin, martial arts training was incorporated into meditative practice. Many of its adherents became well known for their martial arts prowess. This martial arts tradition helped to make the temple famous beyond Buddhist circles.

The event will include a short presentation by Peter Shiao, the Temple's U.S. liaison, on the challenges of bringing the temple and its teachings to 21st-century audiences. After the presentation and a question and answer session, there will be a martial arts demonstration.

Shiao is a film producer and founder of Celestial Entertainment, a Los Angeles-based film production company. His credits include the Lion's Gate television show TheImmortals and the US/China film co-production Restless.
easc@usc.edu
(213) 740-2991
There's a pdf flyer available if you go to the USC website (http://www.usc.edu/webapps/events_calendar/custom/32/index.php?category=Item&item=0.862641).

GeneChing
01-19-2007, 06:00 PM
...but it's my master, so there you go.

Shaolin Small Hong Fist by Shaolin Warrior Monk Shi Decheng
3rd Annual Shi Decheng Shaolin Seminar
February 10th, 2007 1:00-3:00 Milpitas, CA

Small Hong Fist is one of the most popular forms practiced at Shaolin Temple today. Known in Chinese as xiaohongquan, this is a root form known by all Shaolin practitioners. If you’re new to Shaolin Kung Fu, Small Hong Fist is the first step towards mastery. If you’re already familiar with Small Hong Fist, this is an excellent opportunity to refine your skills with direct coaching from Master Shi Decheng. Following the seminar, Shi Decheng will be available for returning students to review of any previously learned Shaolin material. Note: All seminars will be taught in Mandarin with English translation.

Tuition: $45 per person.
For more information and to reserve your place, contact Gene Ching at 510-656-5100 X137 or Gene@KungFuMagazine.com.

Location: USA O-Mei Kung Fu Academy, 451 Los Coches St, Milpitas, CA 95035 408-719-9288

In cooperation with www.russbo.com, www.usaomei.com, www.sdcshaolin-kungfu.com, www.TigerClawFoundation.org & www.KungFuMagazine.com.

GeneChing
02-27-2007, 10:51 AM
The Friends of Shaolin committee of the Tiger Claw Foundation (http://www.tigerclawfoundation.org/) is supporting the book tour of author Matt Polly for his new work, American Shaolin. The Tiger Claw Foundation will be at Matt’s two California appearances:

March 4 (Sunday) 4:00 p.m. Book Passage (http://www.tigerclawfoundation.org/www.bookpassage.com/event_detailed.php?id=413), 51 Tamal Vista Blvd., Corte Madera, CA

March 5 (Monday) 7:00 p.m. Cody's Books (http://www.codysbooks.com/calendar/mar07Calendar.jsp), 2 Stockton Street, San Francisco, CA

I'll be there with Shi Yanfei, who will give a short traditional kung fu demonstration as part of Matt's book signing/reading. Hope to see you there.

For more information, go to Matt’s website for his touring schedule. In cooperation with www.MattPolly.com, www.USAOMei.com and www.KungFuMagazine.com.

There is also a Shaolin Show coming to San Jose on March 23rd. I'll have more on that soon.

GeneChing
03-06-2007, 02:25 PM
See CPAA's website (http://www.chineseperformingarts.org/). The ticket price is interesting: tax deductible, plus two free classes in Shaolin kung fu, taichi or Ch'an (meditation). I suspect this is connected to Shaolin Kung Fu Chan (http://kungfu111.com/), which I discussed in Shaolin Third Wave in our recent Shaolin special (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=687) since they have a longstanding relationship with CPAA. I know we have at least one student of that organization here. Care to chime in?

hasayfu
03-07-2007, 04:10 PM
I'm not a student of Shaolin Kung Fu Chan but my kids are. No one there (and I have not checked everyone) knows about teaching for the CPAA show. CPAA does have it's own KF program so maybe it's out of that group.

As it turns out, we did a lion dance show for CPAA a few weeks ago and met the monks from this show. They did a mini version of the show they will do in SJ. Seem like a good group of folks. Coincidently, they were at the grand opening celebration for All Star Kung Fu in Mountain View http://www.allstarkungfu.com/ Just visiting as did many KF sifus from the Bay Area.

There are so many people from Shaolin Temple in the Bay Area. When we did a show for California Senetor Leland Yee, we met the Shaolin triplets. (I forget their names)

I am impressed that everyone seems to know each other and gets along. I hope the "third wave" idea keeps up. It really is setting up a Wu Lin that hasn't been seen in the SF Bay Area in a long time.

GeneChing
03-08-2007, 10:23 AM
This new group is totally distinct from Shaolin Kung Fu Chan? That's nuts. Anne Woo, who heads CPAA, has always worked intimately with Xinglie and Chen Fei for her Shaolin connection, so it really surprises me that the new group is not connected. That's just what we need here - another Shaolin group. Do you know how long they are here for?

Leland Yee's connection is another really strange one. And the Shaolin triplets are very interesting too. Shaolin has really taken hold of the S.F. Bay Area, but it's in this semi-underground, major guanxi-related way that makes it really hard to see the big picture.

Hasayfu, are you going to go? It's right before Berkeley, so I doubt I'll have the time...

hasayfu
03-08-2007, 04:18 PM
Hi Gene,

I most likely won’t be going to the CPAA show. It’s hard with all my kids activities.
Same with Berkeley. I’d like to go but probably won’t.

You aren’t kidding with GuanXi. Seems like everywhere I go I see a new set of people from Shaolin. There doesn’t seem to be a big picture. It’s still a bunch of separate groups working their connections. The Shaolin Kung fu Chan group has 4 (and soon to be 6) affiliate schools but they are all independent. Then there’s this latest group from Shaolin, the triplets, the guys in SF, Ben’s Shaolin and even the guys at O-mei. I also hear that there are more on the way and that’s just the ones I’ve heard about. That’s a lot of Shaolin representation in the area.

CPAA and SLKFC still have strong ties. They just did a big show with them last week and they will be with them at the Cupertino Unity parade:
http://www.cupertino.org/cupertino_living/arts_and_culture/festivals_and_events/LNUP/index.asp

SLKFC will also be doing lion dance at the “Hsin Chu sister city" 新竹 booth at 12:00pm and Lion Dance and Kung Fu performance at 2:15pm on the secondary stage.

GeneChing
03-27-2007, 05:12 PM
Alonzo King's LINES Ballet
in Collaboration with the Shaolin Monks (http://www.linesballet.org/lines/sfseason/index.htm)

April 13 - 15, 18 - 22, 2007
Shaolin World Premier with Program

With utter calm and fierce precision, the dancers of
LINES Ballet and the Shaolin monks of China create
an unprecedented synthesis of Eastern and Western
classical forms. This collaboration represents both a
blending of distinct cultural traditions – ballet and martial
arts – and a recognition that these arts of movement are
convergent and intertwined.

Friday, April 13 8pm
Saturday, April 14 8pm
Sunday, April 15 7pm
Wednesday, April 18 8pm *
Thursday, April 19 8pm **
Friday, April 20 8pm
Saturday, April 21 8pm
Sunday, April 22 3pm

*Post performance Q&A with Alonzo King
**Pre-curtain discussion with collaborating artists at 7:00 pm
Ticket Prices: $65, $50, $35, $20

Order tickets through
Yerba Buena Center for the Arts:
Box office: 415-978-2787
Box office hours: 11am - 5pm
This is Shaolin monks Guosong, Yongyao, Changqiang, Changjun and the Shaolin triplets.

Pk_StyLeZ
03-28-2007, 05:06 PM
the website has video
are the shaolin triplet lil kids?
cuz i see a picture of three lil shaolin monks is that them>?

GeneChing
03-29-2007, 09:17 AM
Maybe you remember Guosong from the 2005 incident (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35698)?

GeneChing
04-16-2007, 10:01 AM
I expect more to come on this, which is why I say 'first'....;)

Ballet and kung fu well-matched dance partners in Lines premiere (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/04/16/DDGAVP7VV31.DTL&hw=shaolin&sn=001&sc=1000)
Rachel Howard, Special to The Chronicle
Monday, April 16, 2007

For those who don't know, it's worth stating plainly: Alonzo King is the real deal as a choreographer, one of the few bona fide visionaries in the ballet world today, and we are fortunate to have him and his Lines Ballet in San Francisco.

It's especially worth stating lest the deeper wonders of his latest project, which opened Friday at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts, be overshadowed by sheer novelty. For this 25th anniversary spring season, King has engaged seven Buddhist monks from China's Shaolin Temple. Renowned for their martial arts, they have lived in San Francisco since 2004 under the auspices of their monastery, and they are spectacular. The older monks flow through Wushu lunges with feline grace, then throw their legs into the air with explosive power; the youngest -- two of three 10-year-old triplets -- toss themselves into backflips that land them on their heads. In another move, they kick their shins to their eyeballs in full splits and then the twins drop -- whap! -- to the floor, like a plank.

Amazing feats, to be sure, but perhaps only King could have merged them with ballet in such a way that illuminates the honor and dignity of both forms, instead of engaging in cheap pageantry. He can do this because he's spent more than two decades stripping ballet of aristocratic veneer and presentational haughtiness, twisting its elemental geometries into a strangely recognizable, strangely alien language that converses with any culture -- and speaks earnest, sometimes overly earnest, truths about the human heart.

King is best known for his collaborations with world musicians, but he's attempted movement fusions in the past, too. Six years ago, he brought a tribe of Pygmies from the central African rain forest to share the stage with his long, sleek dancers; that matchup was a sight to see, but "Long River High Sky," his title for this monk project, has a more substantive synergy. It isn't just that the kinetic parallels between a kung fu lunge and a deep plie are more apparent than those between a Pygmy's flat-footed stamp and a ballerina en pointe. It's that these monks and these dancers find such a common ground in their intense dedication to their arts that "Long River High Sky" becomes a meditation on physical discipline as an act of faith.

Every encounter is charged with curiosity and respect. Brett Conway and Shi ChangQiang sit beneath the single, low-hanging lamp of Axel Morgenthaler's stunning lighting, "talking" to each other -- face to face and eye to eye -- in the separate tongues of their movement languages. Soon, the full Lines company is flowing past Master Shi YongYao as though figures in his imagination. In other early sections, the monks partner the Lines ballerinas, Laurel Keen pairing with Shi ChangQiang, he testingly picking up her pointed foot with his flexed one, then promenading her; she all baroque curvatures, he in his wide warrior stance.

Sometimes the Lines dancers try out the monk's movements -- deep bends in turned-in knees, arms ready to jab -- and sometimes the monks try out the dancers'. The music oscillates between brittle industrial sounds and hard beats by Miguel Frasconi and lush traditional Chinese melodies delivered from the pit by the ensemble Melody of China, under director and arranger Hong Wang. Robert Rosenwasser and Colleen Quen's costumes keep the monks in their simple tunics but give the Lines women gorgeous short dresses in white silk.

It's all so beautiful that you feel guilty when, throughout the second act, your attention wanders -- but this is the pitfall of King's longer works. They tend to be a collage of sections, each arresting but rarely fitting together with a sure sense of trajectory, and such is the case here. We feel uncertain, after the intermission, how what we've come back for is going to take us anywhere different than what we've just seen; the last half hour gets wearying and this is a shame, as it contains some of King's most allegorically rich work. In the most rewarding section, Aesha Ash tries to break up a pas de deux with John Michael Schert and Laurel Keen, then comes to harmonize and flow through their partnerings. She will always be an outsider, though, or perhaps more like an invisible spiritual force -- when the three gather in a line, arms upraised, Schert holds Keen's hand, but not Ash's.

The nine Lines dancers, incidentally, are tremendous throughout, physical virtuosos with a meditative presence to match the monks'. Watching these two groups together, kung fu begins to look more like art for its own sake, and ballet like self-defense, and you begin to wonder if perhaps both are fighting forms after all -- fighting for a life of truth and beauty that all humans crave.
Long River High Sky: Lines Ballet collaboration with Shaolin monks. Continues Wednesday through Sunday. Yerba Buena Center for the Arts Theater, 700 Howard St., San Francisco. Tickets: $20-$65. Call (415) 978-2787 or go to www.ybca.org.

There's video too.

Pk_StyLeZ
04-16-2007, 02:50 PM
interesting
thx gene
saw the video also

herb ox
04-19-2007, 08:46 AM
Whoa. It never fails to amaze me how much intrigue and politik still surround the temple and those who proclaim alliance with the temple. It's still obscure enough of a situation that the lay-person would have no idea whatsoever about who is who. Problem is, the actions of these performers could tarnish the image of Shaolin - the temple seems to have enough sticky situations to deal with on its own without the added strain of impostors.

Regardless, this melding of ballet and wushu still sounds pretty kewl. 'Tis a perfect opportunity to entice a date for some 'ballet' :p Maybe after the free Marley show in the 'park I'll check it out... but only if I can find someone to accompany me other than a certain Korean brother you know so well... :rolleyes:

herb ox

GeneChing
04-19-2007, 09:58 AM
I'm planning to meet my disciple brother, kungfu****, there. I'm looking forward to it. Unfortunately, it looks like rain.

Pk_StyLeZ
04-19-2007, 11:09 AM
I'm planning to meet my disciple brother, kungfu****, there. I'm looking forward to it. Unfortunately, it looks like rain.

let us knw how it goes gene =)
i plan to attend the shaolin *monk* performance that will be at www.ifest.org in two weeks too
wonder how that gonna turn out

GeneChing
04-20-2007, 09:28 AM
I really enjoyed the LINES show. It was the most innovative, most abstract Shaolin show to date and will surely throw gasoline on the fire of Shaolin debates in the martial circles. It's modern ballet and if you've never been exposed to this sort of cultured art, it may be too abstract for you. I'll have a little more on it later (and there's more to come from this project, as I've alluded to earlier) but for now, here's Asian Week's take on it.

Gettin' Funky With the Monks (http://news.asianweek.com/news/view_article.html?article_id=650e8b03be31914715a9a e6ce74ffe57)
Angela Pang, Mar 23, 2007

Master Shi GuoSong and other Shaolin monks practice their martial arts, kicking and spinning in the air, while members of Alonzo King’s LINES Ballet, gracefully and slowly extend their legs. Together the group is practicing for a unique cross-cultural collaboration, combining martial arts and ballet for a mesmerizing hour-and-a-half piece premiering in April.

Created by black American artistic director Alonzo King, the show will feature an original score of traditional Chinese and contemporary music and amazing choreography.

When King first learned about the group of Shaolin monks, living in San Francisco since 2004 under the auspices of the China Songshan Shaolin Temple Inc., he knew he wanted to work with them.

"The depth and skill of their concentration is amazing, they’re just brilliant," said King.

He arranged a meeting and practice session last spring with his international touring company and the Shaolin monks, for both to showcase their talents. King then developed a blended choreography for a full-length piece, weaving the monks’ dynamic power with the expressive lyricism of his ballet crew.

"Our ultimate goal is to share our history and culture with everyone and to educate them about martial arts," said Master GuoSong. "Working with the ballet company has been pleasant."

This is the first time that the LINES Ballet has engaged in a collaboration that integrates King’s choreography with a different classical form. Though both art forms may seem like polar opposites, the Shaolin monks and the ballet company contend they are more similar than people may think.

"Martial arts and ballet both involve body language that comes from the heart and is an expression of what is inside you," said Master GuoSong.

"In all cultures, there’s one instrument that we share in common in dance: the body," said King, who was recognized as one of 50 outstanding artists in America by the United States Artists organization. "At its heart, this project is an inter-cultural exploration between artists."

"Alonzo is so respectful and considerate when creating choreography," said the Shaolin monks’ translator Evelyn Wu. "He does not want to do anything that may be culturally offensive to them, so he always checks to make sure they’re comfortable."

Wu said the monks were "uptight" in the beginning since they have never tried ballet before, but over the months they’ve opened up and are even "absorbing" and appreciating the new moves.

"It’s a very new and good experience," said Master Shi YongYao.

The Shaolin monks featured range in age from 10 to 70. The youngest group is a set of 10-year-old triplets from China, who were accepted into the Shaolin Temple at the age of 5.

The Shaolin monks have performed throughout the San Francisco Bay Area, including the Asian Art Museum, the De Young Museum, the Masonic Auditorium and San Francisco City Hall.

While in the U.S., they hope to establish a Shaolin Cultural Center, to help preserve the 1,500-year-old tradition of Shaolin and to provide services and enrichment to the community.

"This project is encouraging the two sets of artists toward a kind of communion through movement, a language that they can speak together," said company manager Selby Schwartz. "I’ve never seen anything like this. This show will be fascinating to watch."

The only real bum out about last night's performance was that we only got twins, not the triplets. Not sure why. Perhaps one was sick.

GeneChing
04-30-2007, 09:27 AM
The t***** path to enlightenment (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2007/04/29/MNG22PBS151.DTL)
Buddhists bringing ancient faith to U.S. at odds over role of martial arts in Shaolin -- former allies deeply divided on physical, spiritual aspects of the misunderstood culture
Matthai Chakko Kuruvila, Chronicle Religion Writer

Sunday, April 29, 2007

Stephen Ho dreamed that he'd be the one to introduce to America an authentic version of one of the world's most misunderstood religions.

He would build a San Francisco temple to be a branch of the legendary Shaolin Temple in China, where Zen was born and kung fu emerged as its most fabled expression.

The San Francisco businessman and longtime Buddhist went to China and asked the temple's abbot for his assent. In December 2004, the abbot sent Shi GuoSong, an experienced yet youthful Shaolin monk, to be a true and rare face of the ancient faith.

The culture portrayed by television and movies as exotic violence would be shown in its true form: a message of peace.

Ho established a nonprofit to represent Shaolin culture as a religion, sponsoring visas and shepherding believers such as GuoSong.

GuoSong, through Ho's connections, dutifully led troupes in performances of Shaolin kung fu at venues ranging from a Sacramento Kings game to the M.H. de Young Memorial Museum. They just finished a highly celebrated, weeklong collaboration with Alonzo King's Lines Ballet in San Francisco.

But more than two years after their journey began, Ho and GuoSong have become mired in a dispute over what Shaolin is and which one of them represents the authentic faith. They are at fundamental odds over an age-old question: To what extent can a martial art express religion?

Legend says that more than 1,500 years ago, an Indian monk named Bodhidharma sat meditating before a wall for nine years on Mount Songshan in northern China. When he finished, he began teaching at the Shaolin Temple that long periods of seated meditation would lead to enlightenment -- the essence of Chan Buddhism, popularly known as Zen.

But the extended meditations also atrophied the monks' bodies. So Bodhidharma developed a series of calisthenics that evolved into kung fu, a form of martial arts.

Shaolin believe meditation clears the mind, preparing it for purer action. But a weak or sick body hinders clarity of thought. Kung fu, by building the body, complements meditation.

Over the centuries, the Shaolin Temple in Henan province has been razed and resurrected several times. After the communist government's Cultural Revolution ended in 1976, many of the nation's religious institutions were purged or destroyed. Only a handful of Shaolin monks in the temple survived.

Then, in 1982, came the Jet Li movie "Shaolin Temple," inspiring a wave of tourism the Chinese government supported; it even helped rebuild the temple as a tourist destination. There are now about 60 schools associated with the main Shaolin Temple, and they teach an estimated 40,000 full-time martial artists. But those who've been accepted and taken vows as Shaolin monks are rare: There are fewer than 200 in the main temple.

From Bruce Lee's epic 1973 film "Enter the Dragon" to Jackie Chan movies to "The Matrix" and "Kill Bill," pop culture has long tried to represent elements of Shaolin practice or lore.

But that has skewed understanding of Shaolin culture, said Matthew Polly, the first American disciple of the Shaolin Temple.

"Westerners have this fantasy of what Shaolin is supposed to be -- David Carradine and (the 1970s television show) 'Kung Fu,' " said Polly, 35, of New York. "It's not what you wanted it to be or expected it to be. Shaolin has been, since 1982, trying to figure out what it is again, with a lot of competing pressures. Like China in general, Shaolin is still in the process of coming to terms with modernity."

Into this vortex came Ho. A retired IBM engineer who says he often travels in China on business, Ho said he studied Buddhism for 40 years in Hong Kong before coming to America.

In recent years, the main temple's abbot, Shi YongXin, has tried to copyright the Shaolin name. He's also been criticized for commercializing the faith. YongXin gave his approval to Ho's venture in San Francisco.

Ho, 60, had never trained at the temple. GuoSong, 34, has trained at the temple since he was 13.

There are roughly a dozen monks in the temple who, like GuoSong, are in their 30s and have trained for two decades, GuoSong and Ho estimate. Scores of other Shaolin monks have come to the United States and set up kung fu studios, but Ho's nonprofit is believed to be only the second attempt to establish an institution for Shaolin as an American religion. The first temple, run by a former Shaolin monk in Flushing, N.Y., is beset by its own struggles to establish itself. -- -- --

GuoSong came with a 53-year-old fellow monk and five disciples -- 10-year-old triplets and two men in their 20s. His disciples say GuoSong is a "father" to their "family." Since arriving in San Francisco in 2004, they've lived in a series of apartments and now stay in a ramshackle former rooming house near downtown Oakland, their fledgling Shaolin Temple.

Their kung fu performances have been sporadic, generally coming every few weeks. But the Shaolin lifestyle consumes their days in small details. In addition to many explicitly religious rites, the monks wear simple clothing made from rough material and have an array of rituals, including one to ensure the right flavor and temperature for green tea.

A simple morning practice at the Oakland temple illuminates how Shaolin strengthen their bodies, the role of the natural energy force known as qi -- or chi -- and how physical work can be meditative.

Thwack! Thwack! Thwack!

Shi ChangQiang, 22, repeatedly slapped a canvas sack packed with dried beans he'd put on top of a 3-foot-high stump in the backyard of the Oakland temple. In one minute, he hit it 38 times with his right hand. His pace gradually increased as he hit the bag of beans with his palm, the back of his hand and both sides.

Seated meditations like the 45-minute session every morning are part of the group's daily routine. But GuoSong can be found meditating in many places, such as in a parked car. The meditations and ChangQiang's painful ritual are intended to lead to the same mental state -- clearing the mind of all thoughts.

"The most important thing is that you must keep your mind quiet without any disturbances," Shi YongYao, the other monk with GuoSong, said in Mandarin as he explained the sack-smacking.

Despite the ferocity of ChangQiang's slaps, Shaolin belief holds that breathing with intention to circulate one's qi prevents pain. It's a practice called Qigong, and it can be used to toughen many parts of the body.

ChangQiang is working on his hand. YongYao, a Qigong master, is a specialist in the "iron crotch."

Sometimes at exhibitions, YongYao invites people to kick him repeatedly in the groin. He doesn't flinch. At a performance at a Tenderloin community center in October, YongYao broke steel bars over his head that this reporter could not bend. At the Sacramento Kings game, a Shaolin trainee took a sledgehammer to YongYao's arm as it lay across roughly a dozen steel bars, according to a video of the event. The bars broke. His arm was fine.

Qi enters the body just above the belly button, YongYao said. Through Qigong, practitioners learn to move it throughout the body.

"If some part of your body hurts, the qi has not gotten through yet," YongYao said. "Once the qi gets through, you don't feel pain there."

YongYao believes Qigong can help cure heart disease, cancer or diabetes, which he has, but he says it doesn't work "miracles." The group uses Western medicine, too.

Thwack! Thwack! Thwack!
Continued on the next post...

GeneChing
04-30-2007, 09:28 AM
continued...

ChangQiang stopped hitting the bag of beans after 14 minutes.

Two hours later, ChangQiang inspected his calloused right hand. It was dry, raw and cracked. "It hurts," he said in English. -- -- --

Ho sees little that's religious in these actions. He's come to believe that GuoSong is more kung fu than Buddhist -- possessing rare physical skills but lacking equivalent spiritual depth.

Ho justifies his view by saying GuoSong and his disciples don't do enough of what Ho thinks defines a Buddhist monk of any sect: seated meditation, study of Buddhist texts and philosophical discussions about Chan.

"They're really good martial artists, but how much they know about Buddhism, I don't know," Ho said.

GuoSong believes there are many equal ways to practice Chan. Walking, sitting or eating can be Chan practices.

"In everything you do, you always have the chance to seek the truth" and free the mind of disturbances, GuoSong said.

But audiences rarely hear GuoSong speak because he speaks only Mandarin. The result is that they are left to interpret through the monks' bodies a scripture that's expressed solely through movement. One scene in the recent Lines Ballet performances revealed the challenges.

ChangQiang and Shi ChangJun, 23, acted out a series of punches, sidekicks and a head butt. One kick sent ChangQiang flat onto his chest.

Shaolin monks believe you can never fight to attack, only to defend. But it's not hard to see why their kung fu has been glorified as violence made beautiful.

GuoSong said it's reasonable to be drawn to Shaolin for the techniques of combat -- as he was at age 13 -- and not for any spiritual reason. But he hopes a few people see deeper -- and pursue Chan.

"The audience should not pay attention to one or several criteria, but the dialectic of everything," he said. "If you just pay attention to the speed -- you say 'fast is good' -- that would be wrong. If you say 'strong is good,' that is wrong. ... The right way to appreciate is the dialectic, the tension between fast and slow, the tension between strong and soft, the tension between agility and stiffness."

Plus, he said, the fight is fake. Every move is answered with a block. Either of the performers could maim with a real kick or punch. Sparring "is just a way to train their reflexes." A strong mind, built through Chan meditation, requires a strong body, he said.

"Each movement will make you work your body, from top to bottom, from hand to foot," he said. "The motivation for practicing is to be flexible, quick on your feet, strong. And your body will be naturally healthy."

Audiences see many messages in their performances. Their speed and strength inspire awe. Some men wince at displays testing YongYao's "iron crotch." Others laugh.

Alonzo King, the ballet choreographer, said believers of any faith interpret religious texts in myriad ways. Movement should be no different, and just as valid as any written scripture or spoken sermon.

"The principle expression of life is movement," he wrote in an e-mail. "Dancing and martial arts are movement. When it is well done, it is about poise, control, governance, majesty, power and grace. ... These qualities are teaching us how to behave."

Gerard Hoatam, 25, watched the Tenderloin performance but had no idea that it was an expression of faith.

"If your purpose is to go out into the community and tell people about your religion, it's a lot better than Jehovah's Witnesses knocking on your door," said Hoatam of Sunnyvale.

Others have come to share Ho's opinion of GuoSong and his group.

Many of the monks' performances, including the Lines Ballet series, have been initiated or coordinated by Bernadine Lim, Mayor Gavin Newsom's liaison to the Chinese American community. She said Ho knows more about Buddhism than GuoSong, who she said barely practices essential elements of the faith.

"I've never seen them meditate," she said, adding that the ballet "has nothing to do with religion."

But Polly, the former Shaolin Temple disciple who wrote the memoir "American Shaolin," said Lim and Ho have created a false dichotomy. There's no distinction, Polly said, between sitting meditation and what can happen while doing kung fu -- a meditation through dynamic movement, like yoga.

"If you're practicing Shaolin kung fu properly, it is a form of meditation," he said. "It's just fast and hard meditation, instead of slow or sitting. And that's why many of those moves seem so strange -- because they're actually moves that were developed for meditation purposes as well as self-defense and not purely self-defense purposes."

Gene Ching, associate publisher of Fremont-based Kung Fu Tai Chi Magazine, which has reported on Shaolin practitioners and beliefs for 15 years, believes GuoSong is authentic. Ching was stunned that directors of a Shaolin nonprofit would not understand that kung fu is an expression of Chan, or Zen. For non-Shaolin to define the faith is troubling, he said.

"It's disturbing in a way," Ching said. "It's corporate religion." -- -- --

GuoSong declined to discuss Ho, and Ho is an elusive man. But some facts are plain.

More than two years after GuoSong and his disciples arrived, Ho has made little headway on a temple.

GuoSong is a elite teacher of Shaolin kung fu -- his martial arts training videos are sold on Chinese Web sites. But in San Francisco, GuoSong had only a handful of students through Ho's networks.

Instead of living in a monastery dedicated to a life of faith, GuoSong's group of Shaolin -- including young triplets Shi LongHu, Shi HuHu and Shi BaoHu -- were crammed into apartments.

Ho said he will sever his sponsorship of GuoSong, a move that would make him an illegal immigrant.

If ChangQiang, ChangJun and YongYao choose to follow GuoSong, Ho said they will "be on their own."

Ho said he planned to bring 30 more Shaolin to the Bay Area in the future. He said he would interview them himself to make sure they're more spiritual than GuoSong.

GuoSong, without referring to Ho, said he's long been aware that others might criticize him. But that's not the point.

"If you take this mission personally, you can never achieve it," he said. "Shaolin Buddhism -- Shaolin culture -- does not belong to any particular person. ... Even if I come back empty-handed, maybe there will be other people who will come in the future to continue to promote Shaolin Buddhism."

If people disparage him, GuoSong said, "the words may affect my career here. However, the words will not affect the goal."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chan: The Chinese word for what became known as Zen in Japan. This school of Buddhism teaches that the path to enlightenment is cultivated through long periods of seated meditation.
kung fu: A Shaolin martial art intended to develop the body and mind as one in an expression of Chan.

Qi: A natural energy or force that fills the universe. Also known as chi.

Qigong: An umbrella term for many types of qi-based practices that use breathing with intention. They can use movement, as the Shaolin do.

Shi: A name used by these Shaolin to identify as Buddhists.

Shaolin Temple: Built in 495 on Mount Songshan in Henan, a northern Chinese province. Bodhidharma -- whom the Chinese call "Damo" -- arrived three decades later and taught Zen for the first time at the temple. Legend says that he meditated before a wall for nine years.

There's video there too, but SF Gate seems to be somewhat bogged down at the moment, perhaps due to our recent inferno...

MatthewPolly
04-30-2007, 11:55 AM
all in all, it was a pretty fair article. these sort of falling outs happen quite frequently when someone sponsors a shaolin monk. Lack of spirituality is more of an excuse then what the deeper reasons usually are: incompatible expectations and issues of control.

GeneChing
04-30-2007, 02:36 PM
I'd like to add that I wasn't 'stunned' by the directors' lack of understanding...disappointed perhaps, but not stunned. The reported Matthai mentioned that one of the directors had commented that the Shaolin monks weren't meditating enough. That comment may have stunned me. How much is enough? And who is to judge?

I think Matt is totally right about the expectation/control issue of sponsors. What is interesting about this situation is that it's a non-profit org. I think Guolin's STOH is a non-profit too, but that's run by Guolin (and he's had his recent issues too, as we all know). This situation with the non-profit being set up by some private entrepreneurs - this is a little different.

hasayfu
05-02-2007, 09:43 PM
Not sure where this thread has been going but back to Shows in the SF Area,
Shaolin Kung Fu Chan will have a Grand Opening celebration for their San Jose school on May 20, 2007 starting at 2pm

See the site: http://www.shaolinkungfuchan.com/

My team will be doing the lion dance. Should be a few performing monks doing demos. At the last grand opening, there were 9 of them.

GeneChing
05-03-2007, 09:27 AM
I think it's more interesting to see where this thread has been. Where any thread is going, who can say? :rolleyes:

Like I mentioned to you privately, hasayfu, Chen Fei has agreed to do another monk demo for RDK Ultimate Internationals (http://ultimateinternationals.com/index.html), our only local Tiger Claw Elite Qualifier (http://www.tigerclawelite.com/). There's discussion of me narrating the demo. :rolleyes: Because the TCECs are open tournaments, last year's show was well received but not understood. The Chinese style participants might have been unimpressed, since most of them have seen such demos before, but the Japanese, Korean and other styles were amazed and confused. They liked what they saw, but didn't understand any of it. Duck style looks really absurd if you don't know that it's duck style. Chen Fei offered a lion dance as an additional part of the program, which means I hope that I'll be seeing you there. ;)

hasayfu
05-03-2007, 04:25 PM
So funny how the performers are always the last to know.
Right after I read your note, I got a message that we will be doing this show.

Look forward to seeing you there.

GeneChing
05-04-2007, 04:55 PM
That's one less thing I'll have to worry about that day, bro! See you there!

hasayfu
05-10-2007, 11:07 PM
Anyone going to either the Tournament this saturday or the grand opening on the 20th? Just got back from the practice and if you like to see the Shaolin type shows, this will be a good one.

Looks like 7 performing monks for the saturday show. Not sure how many on the 20th since that's a school show. Should be a lot but can't really say.

If anyone comes by to either one, I'm the drummer for the lion dance.

Oh, no duck this year but how about toad and scorpion?

GeneChing
05-11-2007, 04:24 PM
What happened to your duck?

Pk_StyLeZ
05-11-2007, 05:46 PM
record it and show us plz
ty
=)

hasayfu
05-16-2007, 07:04 PM
It was a fun performance. godd to see sihing Gene. In a suit no less. I hope we delivered. It was a good exercise to balance a lot of content within a restricted time frame.

I'll check around about any vids. Not sure how it will turn out. It was a pretty wide venue which spread out the performance.

Next one is this Sunday.

GeneChing
05-29-2007, 03:08 PM
Unauthorized Shaolin performances banned (http://www.shanghaidaily.com/sp/article/2007/200705/20070525/article_317205.htm)
By Winny Wang 2007-5-25

INDIVIDUALS and companies are not allowed to perform Shaolin martial arts overseas unless they have the approval of government authorities, the Dengfeng City government has announced.

The temple, the birthplace of Chinese kung fu, lies in Dengfeng in Central China's Henan Province.

Anyone who wants to join in activities overseas involving Shaolin martial arts and using the name of Shaolin, such as "Shaolin Kung Fu" or "Shaolin Monks," must get approvals from the local government, the Foreign Affairs department, the sports bureau and the religion bureau.

The Shaolin Temple has long been famous for its martial arts. The temple was built in 495 AD and abounds in legendary stories about the martial-arts monks.

But some unauthorized overseas performances have affected the temple's international reputation in recent years, the report said.

I'm wondering how Dengfeng plans to enforce this edict.

Pk_StyLeZ
05-29-2007, 07:25 PM
I'm wondering how Dengfeng plans to enforce this edict.

how can they enforce this?

GeneChing
06-05-2007, 01:22 PM
Our next big Shaolin event here will be IntMAT (http://www.intmat.com/). Shi Xinglie just stopped by the office here and reminded me that it's this Sunday. I hear some of the Houston monks will be coming, along with the one in Vegas. Hope to see some of you there.

GeneChing
06-12-2007, 02:58 PM
There was some wushu, but with all the Shaolin disciples in the area now, there was a whole lot of Shaolin students busting out Shaolin forms. Half of the judges were monks. There were at least two dozen Shaolin monks there. Beyond the locals, Xingying and Yanfeng came from Houston and Xingwei came from Vegas. I'll have a report but it's not going to make the next issue (Sep/Oct 007). It'll be in our Nov/Dec 007....

Pk_StyLeZ
06-12-2007, 08:49 PM
There was some wushu, but with all the Shaolin disciples in the area now, there was a whole lot of Shaolin students busting out Shaolin forms. Half of the judges were monks. There were at least two dozen Shaolin monks there. Beyond the locals, Xingying and Yanfeng came from Houston and Xingwei came from Vegas. I'll have a report but it's not going to make the next issue (Sep/Oct 007). It'll be in our Nov/Dec 007....

nice........
did all the *monks* demonstrate or show anything??
pictures??
time to wh0re youtube for videos....
how many people participated/competed?
it was big?

Pk_StyLeZ
06-17-2007, 09:09 PM
i see gene
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFdLJ22D-8U

GeneChing
07-03-2007, 04:44 PM
youtube makes me look fat. :o

GeneChing
09-10-2007, 03:58 PM
...there was a short Shaolin demonstration at the 2nd International Traditional Kung Fu Wushu Tournament & Master's Demo & 4th Eagle Cup Competition (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47582). If memory serves, it was a traditional form, some wushu and tongzigong.

GeneChing
09-17-2007, 04:03 PM
Here's a straight up live theater performance. Marin is just north of S.F.

The Shaolin Warriors
Friday, October 5, 2007 8 pm
Marin Veterans' Memorial Auditorium, San Rafael (http://www.co.marin.ca.us/depts/CU/Main/mc/mc_calendar_event.cfm?MocKey=153)

In a new fully choreographed theatrical production, the Shaolin Warriors bring the remarkable skill, stunning movement and spectacular imagery of Kung Fu to stages throughout the world. Performed by the Buddhist monks of the Shaolin Temple, a sect that has become known throughout the world for its disciplined spiritualism and deadly martial-arts prowess, the performance features many forms of Shaolin Kung Fu as well as a look at the daily temple life of the monks and their Zen Buddhist philosophy.

These Kung Fu masters have trained from a very young age in mental and physical disciplines, which allow them to perform feats one thought only possible in the movies. Shaolin Warriors toured North America in 2002 and 2004 including sold-out performances at Marin Center. After returning to China for several years, the monks are ready to make a triumphant return to Marin Center.

“They combine the agility and grace of gymnasts with the showmanship of Cirque du Soleil performers.”—The Washington Post

$50 / $35 / $25
Students 18 and under - $20

Tickets to this event can be purchased through the Box Office and ticketmaster.

GeneChing
01-29-2008, 11:36 AM
Yanran was mentioned in The Gold Mountain Monks: 38 Shaolin Immigrants to the San Francisco Bay Area By Chen Xinghua and Gigi Oh in our Nov Dec 2007 Shaolin Special (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=729). He's having his school grand opening this Sunday (which is the Shaolin show for this thread), but I'll in in L.A. for Shaolin: Temple of Zen at Otis Gallery. (http://www.otis.edu/index.php?id=236)

Fremont: The U.S. base for Shaolin kung fu masters (http://www.insidebayarea.com/oaklandtribune/localnews/ci_8032861)
By Matthew Artz, STAFF WRITER
Article Last Updated: 01/21/2008 02:36:44 AM PST

FREMONT — All it took was one Jet Li kung fu movie for Shi Yanran to know what he wanted to do, way before he was all grown up.

The 25-year-old Buddhist monk was just 6 years old when he watched "Shaolin Temple" on video.

He was so transfixed by the fighting scenes and the 1,500-year-old Buddhist monastery that gave birth to kung fu that he talked his parents into traveling 400 miles to the monastery and letting him seek admission.

The monks rejected him at first, but when he returned with his parents just two years later, he was accepted and left his family for good.

Now, 17 years later, Yanran has been sent on a new journey.

Since last year, he and 15 other ordained Shaolin monks have been living in a San Jose artist housing complex and teaching their ancient blend of martial arts and Buddhism to students in Fremont, their U.S. headquarters, and two other Bay Area cities.

Traditionally, the monks only train those who traveled to the remote monastery in the foothills of China's Songshan mountains or their other satellite monasteries in China. But the current abbot determined that Shaolin culture eventually would wither if they didn't try to spread their teachings, Yanran said through an interpreter.

Fremont was chosen as one of three Bay Area locations — San Jose and Millbrae are the others — because of its large Chinese population and overall diversity.

"This is a good place to reach out to different communities,"
Advertisement
said Yanran, who is director of the Fremont school.

Kirk Graebe, a former martial arts instructor, did a double-take the first time he drove past the school — a former auto repair shop — at the corner of Peralta Boulevard and Dusterberry Way.

"I said, 'Right, Shaolin monks in Fremont,'" he said. "I couldn't believe these guys were the real deal. It's almost like a fantasy to get to train with them."

According to Chinese history, Shaolin monks first gained notoriety in 698 for helping a future Tang Dynasty emperor defeat a rebellious general. They found themselves in the thick of other political battles over the centuries, but now practice martial arts as a way to stay healthy and build character.

The monastery gained global notoriety with Bruce Lee's kung fu movies, and kung fu masters such as Jet Li continue the tradition.

What separates Shaolin kung fu from other martial arts, Yanran said, is its combination of meditation, Buddhism and fighting skills.

Belts are eschewed and so is competition.

"It's very internal," Yanran said in Chinese. "It's not for showing off."

Yanran's early years in the monastery seem like scenes from "The Karate Kid." The monks ordered him to perform menial tasks with precise movements before they started training him in kung fu.

He became an ordained monk at age 18.

For Shaolin monks like Yanran who specialized in kung fu, days at the monastery started at 4:30 a.m. with morning prayers and exercises. They studied after breakfast, meditated at night and for 3.5 hours every afternoon, they practiced their fighting skills, Yanran said. Bedtime was always 9 p.m.

These days, Yanran and his fellow monks in San Jose are almost as regimented. They're up at 6:30 a.m. for exercise and breakfast. At 8 a.m. it's off to English class. When that lets out about noon, they go to their schools where they teach until about 9 p.m. Then it's back to San Jose where they make dinner, and go to bed by 11 p.m.

The monks have made some adjustments to Americanize the discipline. They do award belts, and the classes are focused much more on kung fu than meditation or Buddhism.

"We don't preach Buddhism," Yanran said, adding that their teachings are universal principals that are compatible with the teachings of other religions. "It's up to the student how much they want to accept."

For now, even those students interested in Buddhist meditation will have difficulty learning it from the monks. Since their English is still a work in progress and the meditations involve words that don't easily translate, the monks only teach meditation in Mandarin Chinese.

Eventually, Yanran said, they hope to offer the class in English. Besides learning English at class and from their students, they have squeezed in enough time to practice by listening to the radio and watching some television, but not enough for Jet Li movies, he said.

"When I have time I still like to watch them, but right now I'm too busy," he said.

Shaolin Temple USA is located at 4343 Peralta Blvd. The phone number is 510-818-9966.

GeneChing
02-13-2008, 03:57 PM
Good ol' Fremont. Who'd have thunk?

Cultivation of spirit
MONKS BASED IN FREMONT SHARE SHAOLIN CULTURE (http://www.contracostatimes.com/health/ci_8155986)
By L.A. Chung
Mercury News
Article Launched: 02/03/2008 01:45:09 AM PST

The new kung fu academy in Fremont, operated by Shaolin Temple USA, may be the only place in America where you can learn double broadsword from temple monks and get an oil change at the same time.

Sandwiched among auto service businesses on 4343 Peralta Blvd. in Fremont, the unassuming U.S. headquarters of the storied Shaolin Temple, will officially introduce itself to a curious public during an open house from 1 to 4 p.m. today.

"Most people misunderstand the essence of kung fu," said Master Shi Yanran, the center's youthful director. "It is exercise to achieve the Zen state. One of our missions is to clarify that kung fu is only a very small part of the Shaolin culture. It's a much larger thing."

Forget Hollywood crossover star Jet Li with his breakthrough classic "Shaolin Temple." Ignore "Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks." This is the real deal: Real monks, sent by the abbot Venerable Shi Yongxin at the 1,500 year-old temple at Song Mountain in Henan province in China, to spread the Chinese kung fu made famous by movies, but imbued with the philosophical Buddhist underpinnings that are its foundation.

Established in 495 A.D., the Shaolin Temple of legend was the birthplace of Zen (in Chinese called Chan) Buddhism and Shaolin kung fu. It is the only monastery that trains martial arts monks, in a unique tradition that integrates physical and spiritual elements for health and cultivation of spirit.

Many members of the Fremont area Chinese community have embraced the academy, which will hold a Buddhist ceremony for city officials, then throw open the doors for an open house for the public, including demonstrations of martial arts and free lessons to children. The non-profit Chinese Performing Artists of America is a sponsor of the monks' efforts.

Part of that embrace comes from the center's offerings of qigong and wellness classes that appeal to older adults, those not bent on learning two-finger handstands and double broadsword fighting techniques.

The center, with its large, floor-to-ceiling windows at Peralta Boulevard and Dusterberry Way, has already attracted a mix of 120 students, many of them non-Chinese, since it first started offering classes in August, said Shi Yanran. Seven days a week, in afternoon and evening classes, they teach a mix of children and adult classes in English. Two other smaller centers, one in Millbrae and the other in San Jose at the Chinese Performing Artists Association on Bollinger Road, attract about 50 students each.

It is the larger Fremont center, book-ended by a post office and a Department of Motor Vehicles office, that draws the curious with its corner location and monks clad in gray or mustard-colored robes. A banner reading "Oil Change $19.95" hangs from the bay adjacent to the studio. The monks chose Fremont over such locations as San Francisco, Shi Yanran said, because it can be reached within 35 minutes from many places in the East Bay, South Bay and Peninsula.

Some students, like Garson Soe, 52, and his wife, Patsy Lung, 47, heard about the classes through their children's nanny, who read about them in one of the Chinese newspapers. They make the 35-minute drive each way because "they are actual monks who practice Chan Buddhism and have been doing Shaolin kung fu for their whole lives," Soe said. It's a healthy activity for their whole family, Soe said.

Lung, an electronics engineer now staying home, takes the 4-year-old Kiley, and twins Ian and Carter three times a week, driving from their San Ramon home. Soe, a tax attorney who studied the Korean martial art tae kwon do in his youth, comes twice a week with them. They are joined by Patsy's sister and brother-in-law.

The monks hope someday to raise enough money to build a temple in the United States. There are already official Shaolin temples in Germany, France, Russia and Australia. Every year, about 3,000 people from the United States go to the Shaolin Temple in China for instruction, where monks hold the old kung fu texts.

In the past decade, former monks and others connected to the Shaolin temple have set up shop around the country. In San Francisco, a not-for-profit organization called the Shaolin Foundation arrived with a splash a few years ago, performing around the San Francisco Bay Area and collaborating with Alonzo King's Lines Ballet Company.

In New York, Shi Yanjing, a monk who is of the same 34th generation as Shi Yanran, defected during the temple's first touring exhibition in 1992 and set up his own school there.

With everyone else capitalizing on the Shaolin name here, the time seemed right for the temple to send monks to the United States.

The center was six years in the making. After its 2001-02 tour of the United States and Canada, the abbot felt that audiences in California seemed most enthusiastic, Shi Yanran said. He traveled to Sacramento at the invitation of the California Legislature in 2004, and lawmakers proclaimed March 21 Shaolin Temple Day. Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger sought them monks out during his trip to China. In 2006, the abbot decided to settle a group in the Bay Area. Sixteen monks live communally now in San Jose, taking adult education classes in English in the mornings and commuting to Fremont and Millbrae to teach in the afternoons and evenings. A smaller group of monks are getting established in the Los Angeles area.

Will people understand that kung fu is more than kung fu? Perhaps, Shi Yanran said. "Slowly, I think, with time."

"Even myself, at first, I only wanted to learn kung fu," Shi Yanran said. "That's why I joined the temple."

The monks have provided instruction sessions for free for children with Down syndrome and autism through the organization Friends of Children with Special Needs, and conducts weekly free wellness classes for people older than 60.

"To me, it's more than kung fu, I see it as a discipline," said David Morales, a 27-year-old San Jose State University student who has come to the center three times a week since it opened. "I don't go there to learn to punch and kick. The training is not just for your body, but to clear your mind."

Morales was taking classes at another kung fu studio when he switched to the monks' academy. In the past five months, he says, he's learned a lot, much of it not purely physical. "I've learned to educate yourself that it's not for fighting purposes. There is fighting without fighting."

And, there are some other benefits, as far as some parents are concerned. "At the beginning, we had some students who are barely paying attention, listening to their MP3s, slouching," Shi Yanran said. "We teach respect of elders, and the history of the temple and our lives. We teach they should have appreciation for what they have."

That has included telling students to do chores around the house, the way the monks clean their own center - mopping floors, washing dishes, cleaning up. And some parents have found the classes give a boost of energy for themselves.

"Three-year-olds are not as calm and don't do exactly what you tell them," Lung said of her twin boys. "The monks are very patient with them. I never thought of taking kung fu, martial arts or anything, but I'm so glad we do."

The open house is from 1-4 p.m. at 4343 Peralta Blvd. See www.shaolinint.com or call (510) 818-9966. Also see www.shaolin.org.cn for more information in Chinese.

hasayfu
02-17-2008, 12:23 AM
Sorry for the late notice but Shaolin Kung Fu Chan will be opening a new school in San Jose.

Sunday Feb 17, 2008
2pm
1344 Ridder Park
San Jose, CA 95131

(near Brokaw and 880)

My team will be doing an Eye Doting Ceremony for two new lions

There will be the usual plethora of Shaolin demonstrations as well.

If anyone gets a chance to make it, say high to me. I'll be the English emcee.

GeneChing
05-12-2008, 03:36 PM
This is our local Tiger Claw Elite Championships Qualifier (http://www.tigerclawelite.com/). There's so many Shaolin wuseng in this area now that there's sure to be some sort of demo at the Ultimate Internationals (http://events.imartial.com/event-home.aspx?ehid=29&eid=44). Believe it or not, there's even more than when we published The Gold Mountain Monks: 38 Shaolin Immigrants to the San Francisco Bay Area By Chen Xinghua and Gigi Oh in our last Shaolin Special (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=729). Last year (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showpost.php?p=759514&postcount=64), we had a formal opening (duckless) demo. This year, there will be a main demo at 11, but there's scheduled to be school demos ongoing throughout the day. Hope to see you there!

GeneChing
05-21-2008, 12:27 PM
The Ultimate Internationals has transformed into Benefit for Quake Victims (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=862474).

Representing Shaolin at this time are the following:
Pure Shaolin Kung Fu with Ye Xinglie
Shaolin Kungfu Chan with Xu Dezheng and Chen Fei
Shaolin Kung Fu International with Ben Zhang
Shaolin Temple U.S.A. with Shi Yanran

Please come out and support this benefit. You'll find the latest updates on TigerClawFoundation.org (http://www.tigerclawfoundation.org).

GeneChing
05-30-2008, 09:27 AM
For background on this project, see posts 50 (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showpost.php?p=748945&postcount=50) , 53 (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showpost.php?p=754595&postcount=53), 58 (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showpost.php?p=755948&postcount=58) & 59 (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showpost.php?p=758577&postcount=59) on this thread, as well as my article, Long River High Sky: Alonzo King's Lines Ballet and Shaolin Monks in our 2007 November/December (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=729).

Dance review: Lines Ballet with Shaolin monks (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/05/30/DD0010VVLL.DTL&hw=alonzo&sn=001&sc=1000)
Rachel Howard, Chronicle Dance Correspondent
Friday, May 30, 2008

Usually the phrase "back by popular demand" is just so much marketing spin, but apparently the word really has gotten out about Lines Ballet's collaboration with Shaolin monks. This week's entire encore run of "Long River High Sky" at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts Theater is sold out, and Wednesday's opening-night audience was on its feet the moment the curtain fell.

Most of the cheers during the two-hour show went to the monks' more acrobatic kung fu feats: propeller-legged jumps, lightning-fast punches, landed on the crown of the head. But after one quartet exclusively by Lines' own exquisite dancers, an irrepressible lone enthusiast shouted "Bravo!," and more power to him. Because though the monks may be mesmerizing, they're far from carrying the show. The real marvel here is how choreographer Alonzo King brings these two art forms together with a shared sense of spiritual purpose that can't be faked or fabricated.

It works because both King and the monks treat their endeavors as physical disciplines seeking enlightenment - a tendu isn't just the straightening of the leg but a ray of light radiating from the sun, King is fond of saying; the goal of ballet isn't to look pretty but to reach for transcendence.

The Lines dancers and the monks circle each other, showing each other phrases of movement like two tribes speaking different languages and yet understanding the same grammar, they entangle in passages where a martial arts kick finds its echo in a grand battement. But never do they cross paths in a way that looks naive, exploitative or forced. It isn't until Act 2 that King does what for another choreographer would have been the default starting point: Have the full company of ballet dancers get drilled in the monks' moves.

Like figments in a dream

Instead, the monks and the dancers pass beneath Axel Morgenthaler's space-age lighting as though figments in a weirdly timeless dream. Shi Yanliang and Shi Yanzhong fall backward into Laurel Keen and Meredith Webster's cradling arms; Shi Yanran drags a surrendering Keen across the stage; the whole melange parades past Shi Yanguo on an explosion of sound.

Seeing "Long River" a second time, I was freshly struck by how crucial the score is in holding together this only fitfully structured series of episodes. The seamless blending of Miguel Frasconi's pulsing electronic textures and traditional Chinese music performed live by Melody of China lets it all drift pleasantly, though more of a trajectory from King would not have been unwelcome. Colleen Quen's short silk dresses for the Lines women match the music's futuristic chic.

There is much to experience anew in "Long River High Sky." The cast of monks is not the same as at the April 2007 premiere. Reportedly some of those monks could not leave China because of visa issues; their stand-ins are from Fremont's Shaolin Temple USA, and though they do not have the same intergenerational appeal as last year's monks, who ranged from 10-year-olds to elders, the Fremont monks have a rawer fierceness.

The second half especially gives them opportunity for action-movie-worthy sparring, and Shi Yansong has an entrancing solo with a pole, the out-thrust end hovering in the air as though controlled by an invisible opponent. But it's a testament to the strength of King's current company - and to the otherworldliness of King's twisting, unfurling style - that Lines' nine dancers inspire equal wonder.

Brett Conway's flowing line is a stream of perfect curvatures, like staring at the spiral of a nautilus shell. Delicate Keen is King's leading female muse, but she has a commanding peer in Meredith Webster, a paragon of strength and never-rigid control. New member David Harvey, a product of the growing Lines Ballet School, looks as if he's been dancing for King all his life.

A hot tip

They're in top form as the company prepares for a busy summer of international touring. Hot tip for those who wish they could get tickets to "Long River High Sky": Between appearances at Jacob's Pillow, the Montpellier Danse Festival, and the Festival Internacional in Guatemala City, Lines Ballet will touch down in San Francisco to perform alfresco at the Stern Grove Festival on July 20, with live music from saxophonist Pharoah Sanders. Price of admission: free. No Shaolin monks on that program, but a high likelihood of transcendence.

Long River High Sky: Lines Ballet collaboration with Shaolin monks. (Through Sunday. Yerba Buena Center for the Arts Theater, 700 Howard St., San Francisco. Tickets: $15-$65. (415) 978-2787, www.ybca.org.)

David Jamieson
05-30-2008, 11:27 AM
oh man, when it said "get an oil change at the same time" I thought that was some weird reference to wrestling no nos. lol

I really gotta stop thinking like that. :p

GeneChing
05-30-2008, 11:49 AM
My first visit to Shaolin Temple USA (http://www.shaolinusa.us/) was two weeks ago for the first meeting of the organizing committee for Martial Arts Benefit for Quake Victims (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=864165). There was a press conference scheduled there and we coat-tailed on that to make the initial announcement of our intentions. We had to cut through the autoshop office/waiting room to get to the Shaolin Temple meeting room. I could see people sipping coffee, waiting for their oil change, just outside the door of that temple common room.

Real Shaolin is surreal. Case and point: real Shaolin includes fake Shaolin.

GeneChing
06-09-2008, 05:14 PM
From the dancing perspective.

Meditation Through Movement (http://www.danceviewtimes.com/2008/05/meditation-thro.html#more)

LINES Ballet
“Long River, High Sky”
May 28, 2008
Yerba Buena Center for the Arts
San Francisco, California
by Rita Felciano
copyright © Rita Felciano, 2008

It’s not difficult to understand why LINES Ballet packed them in at the reprise of “Long River, High Sky”, Alonzo King’s 2007 collaboration with wushu practicing Shaolin monks from China. The almost two-hour East meets West show proved that under the right circumstances different cultures indeed can meet. The work received one of the longest standing ovations that I can remember having seen in the Bay Area. It should have been no surprise. Who can resist a septet of flying thunder ball monks in tandem with a group of gorgeously articulate dancers on their own forays into space?

While maintaining much of work’s original structure, “Long” looked more integrated this time around because this septet of monks partnered with Lines’ nine dancers on a more equal level. Last year’s contingent, now apparently returned to China, included a rather elderly monk and a set of adorable ten-year old twins. The current group, residing in a monastery in Fremont in the East Bay, allowed for substantial choreographic interaction between the two types of performers

One reason that “Long” works as well as it does -- besides the sheer exhilaration of watching superbly focused performers in action -- is that the monks’ performing practice holds up a mirror to King’s way of working. They have trained to focus physical and mental energy into bursts of explosive, precisely placed force. The flying horizontal leaps, spine-challenging whipping turns and razor sharp thrusts create sharply drawn images. Integral to that image is an invisible opponent, a partner so to speak. King’s dancers also draw on focused internal energy. But theirs pulls them into multiple simultaneous directions. What to us may look like off-center balances and skewed alignments, so characteristic of King’s choreography, emanates from a constantly shifting center of gravity. It’s a more fluid approach that carves images which are no less striking. Underlying both styles of performance is a different response to a common basis of stillness.

The monks’ performance practice of short intense bursts of energy also fits nicely into King’s way of dealing with such theatrical exigencies as timing, rhythm, flow and structure. He approaches them by not establishing a trajectory, by not working with linear time, by not creating a sequential logic. Instead he places a number of small units—29 in “Long’s” case -- next to each other, letting them flow from one to another to suggest a vibrating continuum. Beginnings and endings don’t seem that important to him. “Long’s” overlapping styles of performance also inject a note of freshness that King’s other works sometimes lack.

The monks’ virtuosity and disciplined withdrawal into themselves, elicited justifiable gulps of admiration. But it was the interaction between dancers and monks that gave “Long” whatever depth it had. For that the ballet dancers deserved the major credit, they were extraordinary.

The opening getting-acquainted duet set the tone. Rising from a curl, Brett Conway opened his limbs, twisting himself into a fluid piece of architectural grace. The quietly sitting Shi Yanliang responded by a close to the body burst of kicks and stabs in which he somehow ended up holding his foot. Later on “Long’s” second act opened on a similar note with a duet between Shi Yansong and Shi Yanzhen in which a younger monk introduced himself to an older one. Both cases left you with a sense of a conversation having started.

The monks were often seen wandering through the physical landscape of King’s dreamy dancers. One them calmly watched a diagonal of what looked like travelers through cobwebs or clouds. At another point, three of them emerged like beams of light that had penetrated a pulsating organism.

Those walking patterns may have inspired a lovely circle dance. With the gloriously articulate Meredith Webster at the center, King dancers calmly traced a circle around her. They became kinetically more differentiated only during the downstage trajectory.

Long chains of in-place pulling and yanking suggested connectedness much the same way the oppositional pull of King’s duets does. In one set of duets one of the monk’s turned Meredith Webster’s arabesque into a slowly turning weather vane while the other dragged Laurel Keen across his back like a bag. And then the women supported the two men melting into their arms. That whole episode floated on top of a Tibetan folksong, played live by Melody of China.

Juxtaposed male ensembles contrasted the Shaolins’ directional physicality with the ballet dancers’ more exploratory approach. A few minutes later the two groups got together in duets of intricate but every so silken partnerings. A trio for Webster and Corey Scott-Gilbert had Conway worm his way into the couple’s interaction until they simply absorbed him. At another high point Keelan Whitmore soared out of an ensemble number liked an eagle surveying his realm. But maybe the evening ultimately belonged to Keen, mesmerizing in a long solo in which she allowed her body to respond to impulses from within even as they pushed her to a place that seemed unattainable.

Musically “Long” is one of King’s most sophisticated accomplishments. Miguel Frasconi’s synthesized a score from natural sounds and a plethora of musical sources was rhythmically rich and uncommonly evocative. The dancers also could not possibly have wished for more support than Melody of China’s three musicians provided in both set pieces and improvisations. The white of Colleen Quen’s glamorous costumes-wispy skirts for the women, knee-length pants for the men--beautifully contrasted with monks’ gold and brown robes. The first-rate artist Axel Morgenthaler one more time designed the excellent lighting.

GeneChing
02-25-2009, 03:24 PM
The Tiger Claw Foundation (http://tigerclawfoundation.org/) and KungFuMagazine.com will be supporting China Songshan Shaolin Temple Day (http://www.shaolinusa.us/event_09shaolinday1.html).

March 21, 2009 • Sat. 10 am - 5 pm
Union Square, San Francisco
Shaolin Temple Day Celebration
• 10:30 am
Spring Prayer for America
presided by
Venerable Abbot Shi Yongxin
of China Songshan Shaolin Temple
• 12 noon, 3 pm
Shaolin Kung Fu Demonstration
• Free Lessons:
Shaolin Kung Fu, Qigong, Wellness Exercises
• Photo Display:
History of Shaolin Temple & Shaolin Kung Fu
• Shaolin Cultural Booths:
Shaolin Medicine, Chan Tea & Cuisine
Shaolin Monk Attire, Shaolin Weapons, Books & Arts
& many more...

March 22, 2009 • Sun. 3:30 pm
San Jose Center for the Performing Arts
The world famous Shaolin Temple Warrior Monks in
Magnificent Shaolin
Shaolin Kung Fu & Qigong Performance
The splendid harmony of Shaolin Martial Arts & Chan Buddhism
that inhabits the ancient monastery comes to life on stage.
Performed by Kung Fu Monks of
the visiting China Songshan Shaolin Temple Delegation
led by the Venerable Abbot Shi Yongxin
& Shaolin Kung Fu Monks stationed at Shaolin Temple USA

I'll update you on developments here or on the I dropped by the new Shaolin Temple USA school thread (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=917435).

GeneChing
03-24-2009, 03:20 PM
Shaolin Martial Arts and Chi Gong at Oakland Asian Cultural Center (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f093XQ84FVA&feature=email) - I'm curious what day this demonstration was. At first, I looked at the posting date - March 22, 2009. That would be way too weird because it would have coincided with Shi Yanran's troupe's performance and the Abbot's visit for Shaolin Temple Day (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53389) and given that it's Guosong's troupe, well, like I said... too weird.

Here's more:
Shaolin Martial Arts at Oakland Asian Cultural Center Part 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8Qk4zASbLs&feature=channel_page)
Shaolin Martial Arts Asian Cultural Center at Oakland ( Part 1 of 2 ) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDJzRFZW_dk&feature=channel_page)
Shaolin Martial Arts Asian Cultural Center at Oakland ( Part 2 of 2 ) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZz9zyiS-qA&feature=channel_page)

GeneChing
04-23-2009, 03:14 PM
This is coming from the Shaolin Cultural Center in Fremont, Shi Yanran's group again. It's the Firebird Youth Chinese Orchestra, who also performed for Magnificent Shaolin, which was the San Jose performance during the Shaolin Temple Day 2009 (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53389)festivities. I thought FYCO's performance of General's Mandate (or as they say 'General's Command') was the highlight of that show.

Firebird Youth Chinese Orchestra (FYCO)
In Collaboration with the Shaolin Kung Fu Monks of
Shaolin Temple USA (www.ShaolinUSA.us)

Shaolin Zen Concert (http://www.fyco.org/new/concerts_09ShaolinZen.html)
Saturday, May 9, 2009 • 2:30 PM
California Theatre 345 S. 1st St., San Jose, CA 95113

Program Highlights

Buddhist Music Incense Praise*

Ruan (4-stringed guitar) Ensemble
Tipsy* (World Premiere)

Sheng (mouth organ) Ensemble
Shaolin Temple of Songshan (World Premiere)

Chinese Orchestra
The General’s Command*
Peking Opera On the Docks Prelude
(US Premiere)

* In performance with Shaolin Kung Fu Monks

Tickets: $25, 50, 75 and $100 (VIP)
Box Office: Symphony Silicon Valley
467 S. 1st St., San Jose, CA 95113
408-286-2600 x23
Online: www.ticketmaster.com

FYCO is a nonprofit organization.
Donations to FYCO are tax-deductible as allowed by law.

For more info about FYCO:
www.fyco.org
408-253-5998

Tensei85
04-24-2009, 08:31 PM
Gene,

Are you aware of any shows coming up in June in the Bay Area?
Unfortunately I won't be back in Cali til then, thanks for the info.
It should be an awesome show!

GeneChing
04-27-2009, 03:31 PM
I've just confirmed that we will have two stages for demos. We had four Shaolin demo teams at Martial Arts Benefit for Quake Victims (http://www.martialartsmart.net/dvd-ca112.html). Since that was a benefit for the Sichuan Quake, we had a lot more mainlanders volunteer, but I'll daresay we'll have some Shaolin representatives at our upcoming event.

See Tiger Claw’s KungFuMagazine.com Championship & Shark City Nationals (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53126) and be there on June 27th, 2009, at the San Jose McEnery Convention Center in San Jose, California.

:D

Tensei85
04-28-2009, 04:09 AM
Sweet! Ill be in the bay area around that time ill have to make a trip to S.J. sounds like its an awesome lineup! Can't wait.

GeneChing
06-24-2009, 01:20 PM
Among the many demonstrations we have scheduled for our Tiger Claw’s KungFuMagazine.com Championship (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/info/tournament/index.php), we will indeed have a Shaolin contingent to represent. Demonstrations from Pure Shaolin Kung Fu, Shaolin Kung Fu Chan and Ben's Shaolin are all confirmed to be showcased during the day. One of these Shaolin troupes will be featured in the Night Time Finals Show.

GeneChing
06-25-2009, 10:15 AM
I hear Shi Deshan is here now. Apparently he came out to meet with Wu Bin. I'm not sure if Deshan will be at our event (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/info/tournament/index.php), but Gigi met with him last night. We'll see. ;)

See all you S.F. Bay Area locals this Saturday. I hope some of the local Shaolin contingent compete too. Spectator fees are $15.

GeneChing
06-25-2009, 01:42 PM
He just had some 'business' and that's done. He didn't even know there was a tournament. :rolleyes:

GeneChing
07-01-2009, 09:35 AM
There's a sampling of the Shaolin demos that were at Tiger Claw's KungFuMagazine.com Championship (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/info/tournament/index.php).

Ben's Shaolin Kung Fu brought in a FOB troupe of wuseng in, and they gave a nice demo on our afternoon stage. You can see some of it in the Shaolin Chan Demonstration segment and a little more in the Kung Fu Demonstrations segment.

Pure Shaolin Kung Fu also did a demo on our afternoon stage. I didn't see it really. I had to deal with some tournament issues.

Shaolin Kung Fu Chan did a demo during the night time finals.

All the demos - Shaolin, wushu, traditional and even karate - will be our Deluxe-edition DVD of Tiger Claw's KungFuMagazine.com Championship, which we will release in about three months. We will also be including an exclusive DVD insert in our Nov/Dec issue with highlights of the event. This will only be available at select retail outlets. It will be free to subscribers, so subscribe now (http://www.martialartsmart.net/19341.html).

oasis
07-15-2009, 07:06 PM
I'll be in the area next weekend. I'll like to check out any martial arts events if possible. Thanks for any info.

GeneChing
09-21-2009, 11:00 AM
I love Moon Festival.

The masters are also invited to demonstrate their prowess at the Autumn Moon Festival Celebration held at the Chinese Culture Center of San Francisco, starting at 6:00 pm on Saturday, 9/19. The Chinese Culture Center of San Francisco is located at 750 Kearny St., 3rd Fl.

Call 1 888 960 53 88 for ticket purchase and visit http://www.worldchannelus.com/for further information.

GeneChing
12-18-2009, 01:33 PM
We are off to a very busy start for the new year! Mark your calendar for the following future performances. Further details will follow. As always, we look forward to your participation and support.

3 p.m., Saturday, January, 9, 2010, Stanford vs UCLA Men's Basketball Game, Half-time performance, Stanford University

5 p.m. - 9 p.m., Thursday, February, 11, 2010, Year of the Tiger New Year Celebration/Shanghai Exhibition Kickoff, Asian Art Museum

5 p.m. - 8 p.m., Saturday, February, 27, 2010, Chinese New Year Parade from Downtown to Chinatown, San Francisco.

And more on the Stanford game:

Halftime Performance by the Shaolin Monks
Stanford vs. UCLA Basketball Game

Maples Pavilion on the Stanford University Campus (http://ucomm.stanford.edu/map/)

Saturday, January 9, 2010, at 3:00 p.m.

Parking at Galvez Field, on the corner of Galvez and Campus Drive East

Iindividual tickets for the game just went on sale this week. To purchase tickets, go to: http://ev10.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventInfo?ticketCode=GS%3ASTANFORD%3AB09%3AB1 0%3A&linkID=stanford&shopperContext=&caller=&appCode=

Please note:

1. Tickets cost $42 and are in the upper sections only. (The masters will probably be seated in the first two rows of section 7).

2. The performance time is very short, only 6 minutes (halftime is only 15 minutes total).

GeneChing
01-07-2010, 03:53 PM
Again from Shaolin Temple Fremont

Be advised that according to Stanford's website, http://www.gostanford.com/sports/m-baskbl/stan-m-baskbl-body.html, the game will be covered by CSN Bay Area (Comcast SportsNet Bay Area), the regional sports network that serves cable outlets throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.

Also per the site, Gametracker on the internet at http://www.gostanford.com/gametracker/launch/gt_mbaskbl.html?event=805464&school=stan&sport=mbaskbl&camefrom=&startschool=&

"will begin after tipoff".

It is channel 720 on Comcast.

GeneChing
02-12-2010, 11:59 AM
Matcha is a weekly happening at the San Francisco Asian Art Museum.

5-9 pm | $10 Admission

MATCHA isn't just a mixer—it's what makes your visit to the Asian Art Museum downright exhilarating. Experience mesmerizing performances, create your own art, embark on gallery tours, see the latest special exhibition, sit in on a talk, mingle with friends over ****tails, enjoy what the DJ is spinning, and much, much more.

Each MATCHA event has its own unique flavor and vibe. Check out the schedule below, and don't forget to mark your calendars!

February 18: Eye of the Tiger (http://www.asianart.org/matcha.htm)

Eye of the Tiger2010 is the Year of the Tiger! MATCHA kicks off the Chinese Lunar New Year, and our special exhibition Shanghai, with riveting tiger-style kung fu (martial art) demonstrated by monks from the Shaolin Temple USA in San Francisco. Both Shaolin kung fu and Chan (Zen) Buddhism originated from the 1,500-year old Songshan Shaolin Temple in central China. Each mode of Shaolin kung fu is associated with an animal, and in Chinese culture, the tiger is king and symbolizes bravery. Its kung fu style involves footwork, acrobatic kicks, and unique fist positions, relying solely on internal power, simplicity, and explosive force.

The evening also includes art activities, Shanghai dumplings available in the museum cafe, cash bar specials, DJ music, and docent conversations on Lunar New Year, Chan Buddhism, and the Shanghai exhibition.

GeneChing
03-01-2010, 01:34 PM
I caught some of the delayed broadcast of the S.F. CNY parade (http://www.chineseparade.com/) on Ch 36. I was surfing between Winter Olympics commercials. I saw Shi Yanran's group right behind the Miss Chinatown float, and then they broke to commercial. Kim Yun-Na was up next for her Gala skate, so I didn't go back to see Yanran's group. I did catch Tat Mau Wong (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=104)'s group and Yau Kung Moon (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=437)'s group.

http://www.chineseparade.com/images/miss_chinatown_2010.jpg

GeneChing
03-03-2010, 12:08 PM
MATCHA Shaolin Temple USA monks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miaKwwhrJss)

That room is really tight in the Asian Art. I've seen demos there before (the last one was a mochi pounding ceremony for New Years) and it's always standing room only.

GeneChing
03-16-2010, 02:02 PM
This is from one of my old coaches, Shi Yanxing, along with Shi Yanqiang & Shi Yankuan.

Kung Fu 1500 year Performance by 18 Shao Lin Monks
Date: Friday, May 14, 2010
Time: 7:30pm - 9:00pm
1 W. Campbell Ave,
Campbell, CA 95008
(408) 866-2105
http://www.ci.campbell.ca.us/heritagetheatre/index.htm

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs465.snc3/25524_1104035418566_1757180834_190808_2756797_n.jp g

GeneChing
04-21-2010, 09:26 AM
This is in connection with World Tai Chi day (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56828) - a press release from Shaolin Temple USA.

This coming Saturday, April 24, is the 12th World Tai Chi and Qigong Day. Shaolin Temple USA is invited to participate. We will have a booth at Union Square from 9:45 am to 3 pm. We are also scheduled to perform approximately from 12:50 pm to 1:10 pm.

Later on Saturday evening, there will be a Gala Evening and Dinner held at the Historic Hotel Whitcomb from 06:00 pm — 11:00 pm. The Histtoric Hotel Whitcomb is about six blocks away from Union Square. The masters will perform at the gala and Master YanRan will also be receiving an award then. The ticket info for the Gala Evening and Dinner is as follows:

*Early Bird Saturday Gala ONLY W/Dinner 6:00pm to 11:00PM+
Order at $63.76 each
Price: $60.00 Processing: $3.76 Total: $63.76

*Early Bird Saturday Gala ONLY WITHOUT/Dinner (entry at 7:00PM to 11:00PM+)
Order at $22.00 each
Price: $20.00 Processing: $2.00 Total: $22.00

For ticket ordering and further information, visit http://www.acteva.com/booking.cfm?bevaID=200919

For more information on the 12th World Tai Chi and Qigong Day and The Twelfth World Congress on Qigong/TCM, go to http://eastwestqi.com/wcq/wcq.html

Go to http://www.hotelwhitcomb.com/ for information on Historic Hotel Whitcomb, San Francisco, California.

To sign up, call (415) 666-9966 or (510) 818- 9966.

GeneChing
05-04-2010, 10:51 AM
Here's some video follow up on the MATCHA demo at the S.F. Asian Art Museum from Shi Yanran's school mentioned in post 103 (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showpost.php?p=991302&postcount=103).

MATCHA: Eye of the Tiger (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZYB85f8zM4)

GeneChing
06-10-2010, 02:14 PM
There will be a special Shaolin monk demo at Tiger Claw’s KungFuMagazine.com Championship II (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/info/tournament/index.php) during a midday performance. That is scheduled to take place around 11:30.

We brought a troupe in last year for the first TCKFMC. I think all of them stayed in America. See some excerpt demos here:

demonstrations (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXWB-h8rr2c) (note that the 2nd monk up is Shi Yantuo, who I just started training under. You'll read more about him soon. ;))

ShaolinChan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn2exUoGRm4)

GeneChing
11-17-2010, 10:37 AM
It's Zhang. I did an article on Ben in our 2004 January/February issue (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=436): Shaolin's Second Wave - Two Shaolin Disciples Found A Silicon Valley Start-Up

Campus gets a kick out of martial arts (http://xpress.sfsu.edu/archives/life/015818.html)
by Will Liu, staff writer
November 16, 2010 10:31 PM

http://xpress.sfsu.edu/specials/2010f/KUNGFU99/photo.jpg
Liu Ying performs Kung Fu during Chinese Culture Day at San Francisco State University on November 15 2010.

High kicks and hands-free somersaults ushered in the 2010 International Education Week at SF State as kung fu masters performed in front of Malcolm X Plaza on Nov. 15.

Top-notch martial artists were part of the Chinese Cultural Day event hosted by the Confucius Institute at SF State, which seeks to encourage and promote the Chinese language and culture.

The two-hour event, which the Institute hosted for the third time, demonstrated the rich history of the ancient Chinese art.

"Kung fu is part of a splendid Chinese culture," said Institute Director Jiaxin Xie. "Martial arts have a thousand year history in China and it's very welcomed by the people around the world."

As people made room in front of the stage, kung fu masters Leo Wang, 25, and Liu Ying, 24, came out and performed synchronized, choreographed martial arts moves for the crowd.

"I might have the title of a master and can teach kung fu, but seriously, my understanding of the art is still extremely small in comparison to some of the grand masters," Ying said.

Anthony Garcia was eating lunch and waiting for the start of his next class when the event began.

The 23-year-old labor studies major saw the performance as a reflection of appreciation of the Chinese culture.

"The performers loved everything about their culture," he said. "You can see it by their display and how they perform their activity."

The act switched into high gear when the performers did various acrobatic kicks and flips from side to side.

At one point, a performer broke a piece of steel with his head.

"I don't watch a lot of martial arts movies, except Jackie Chan. I definitely see him out there," Garcia said.

The masters then demonstrated the use of swords and sparred to demonstrate the power and grace of traditional kung fu.

Onlookers were mesmerized by the intricacy of their skills as they watched the demonstrations.

"I was surprised to see this kind of performance out here," said Audrey Roberts, a 30-year-old student in the geography master's program. "I don't normally see many Asian martial arts. It's nice to see it here where I study."

The particular type of martial arts performed is derived from the style of Shaolin kung fu, which is considered the most well -known Chinese martial art.

According to Ben Xzhang, the performance coordinator, kung fu originated as a form of bodybuilding for Shaolin monks.

"The history traces back to 1,500 years ago," said Xzhang, who has been practicing kung fu since the age of eight. "It was an art that was brought over by (the Buddhist monk) Bodhidharma from India to China. Now, we adapted the philosophy that we want to spread the wonderful culture across the world."

But the concept of kung fu extends beyond learning martial arts.

There are various elements within the art of Shaolin ranging from the performance aspect to a deeper level of artistic expression.

"We chose Shaolin kung fu because it's the most globally known Chinese martial art and the oldest," Xie said.
This is interesting because it's the Confucius Institute (http://www.sfsu.edu/~ci/), which I think is the same group that sponsors the Yandong Shaolin group in Charlotte, NC.

GeneChing
11-29-2010, 11:38 AM
In Los Altos, CA.

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/hs468.snc4/50356_166214856741672_3987613_n.jpg
Shaolin Showcase FBLA Fundraiser (http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=166214856741672)
Share · Public Event
Time Monday, November 29 · 7:00pm - 8:30pm
Location Eagle Theater, Los Altos High School 201 Almond Ave. Los Altos, CA

Created By LAHS FBLA

More Info Please support the LAHS Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) by watching the first Shaolin showcase ever hosted at Los Altos High School! Born and raised in Shaolin temples in China, world renowned Shaolin kungfu fighters are coming to the Los Altos community to showcase their talents, performances, and moves that they have honed over countless years. Past performances have included moves and spars such as the praying mantis, the animal spirit, hand versus spear, and spear versus broad sword sparring. Catching these warriors in action is a rare opportunity, so come and join LAHS FBLA as we welcome them and experience a truly unique show. Tickets are $8 in advance, and $10 at the door.

For more information or questions contact:

Jasmine Xu
FBLA Vice President
jxufbla@gmail.com
(650) 720 5836

OR

James Li
FBLA President
jamesli788@yahoo.com

GeneChing
01-03-2011, 12:36 PM
I heard they did a halftime demo at Stanford vs. UConn women's basketball game, which was nationally telecast on ESPN2. Here is was on Comcast, channel 725, which is an HD channel.

GeneChing
02-09-2011, 11:32 AM
There's surely a lot more demos in the area now for CNY (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59666) with so many Shaolin schools here now. Here's a larger one.

2011 Chinese Spring Festival Gala Northern California (http://www.chineseticketbox.com/English/us5.htm)
Places:02-12-2011 (Sat) 7:30 PM Flint Center
02-13-2011 (Sun) 2:00 PM Flint Center
02-16-2011 (Wed) 7:30 PM Modesto Gallo Center for the Arts
02-19-2011 (Sat) 8:00 PM Reno Grand Sierra

Tel:1-877-796-9988 or 1-510-796-9988
Ticket Prices:$128(VIP),$88, $68, $48, $28

Info :
How Far the Way to Lasa – 2011 Chinese Spring Festival Gala
The nation-leading artists from China will tour the US to celebrate 2011 Chinese New Year. This upcoming spectacular presented by China Central TV with its top entertainers of New Year Eve’s special program has brought the joy of holidays to overseas for years. It is a fascinating combination of the Chinese performing arts. The stunting acrobatics, thrilling ethnic singing, elegant folk dance, legendary Shao Lin Kung Fu and sonorous drumming profoundly reflects the beauty of Chinese culture. Specifically, the Tibetan singer will evoke your imagination for Lasa. The glamorous artistry of Chinese arts will catch your eyes and the dazzling stage will cheer you and your family. It is a not-to-be-missed show !

GeneChing
03-25-2011, 09:59 AM
It's always good to see stuff like this. There are now 6 major Chinese martial arts schools within a few blocks of each other in the Cupertino area, including two Shaolin ones. I was raised down there and even assisted teaching fencing at De Anza college. Back when I lived there, there were no such schools.

Cupertino shorts: Shaolin Kung Fu performance to benefit Japan disaster victims (http://www.mercurynews.com/san-jose-neighborhoods/ci_17695238?nclick_check=1)

Silicon Valley Community Newspapers
Posted: 03/24/2011 08:01:39 PM PDT

Kung Fu masters to perform benefit for Japan victims

A benefit Shaolin Kung Fu performance for the victims of the recent disasters in Japan will be held March 27 at 3 p.m.

The Wushu performance, titled "Strength and Unity," will take place at the Chinese Performing Artists of America Arts Center, 6148 Bollinger Road. Admission is $15.

The center has presented international martial arts tournaments since 2005, with competitors from China and the United States.

GeneChing
05-02-2011, 09:24 AM
Today's news is overshadowed. (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60378)

I should also mention that there was a Shaolin demo at World Congress on Qigong and TCM in San Francisco (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60194) by Shi Yanran's group, like always.

Martial Arts Power Hits Tanforan Mall (http://sanbruno.patch.com/articles/martial-arts-power-hits-tanforan-mall#video-5862148)
Tanforan hosts its annual Martial Arts Fair; Tai Chi, Tae Kwon Do, and Shaolin Kung Fu are some of the styles displayed inside the Mall.
By Daniel Beckman | Email the author | May 1, 2011

Tanforan Mall Saturday hosted local martial arts studios to display to residents of San Bruno what the different disciplines have to offer. San Bruno Patch attended the Martial Arts Fair, and got to see first-hand exactly what the different schools had to offer, and how the public received them.

When first entering the mall it seemed like a regular Saturday at Tanforan, full of shoppers, people running errands, and kids roaming around giving their parents some good exercise. One thing was different today; a Martial Arts Fair on the upper floor of the mall. From 1p.m.-4p.m. martial arts schools like E-Tae Kwon Do, Dancel Tae Kwon Do, and Tai Chi Yuen set up booths in preparation for demonstrations that would take place later in the day.

Early on, 40 or so seats set up in front of the stage were packed, and shoppers began to stand and sit in the surrounding area, anywhere within sight of the action. As the event began, close to a hundred people had gathered to watch the different demonstrations that were about to occur.

The first demonstration, and clearly one of the most popular based on audience reaction, was a young 9-year-old girl named Emma, trained in Shaolin Kung Fu and Wu Shu. Studying for two years, she gave a demonstration of Shaolin Kung Fu.

Next was some Tai Chi, performed by Tai Chi Yuen, a much more relaxed style of martial arts used primarily to strengthen the body through slow, calculated movements.

All styles of martial arts showcased at the Fair were well received by the audience. Many walked up to school representatives of their most-liked martial art to inquire about participating as a student.

In all, the Martial Arts Fair at Tanforan Mall was a success, with great performances and a happy, well-entertained crowd. If you enjoy martial arts, make sure to attend the next annual Martial Arts Fair at Tanforan Mall.

GeneChing
05-10-2011, 09:32 AM
May 21st is also the 1st Shaolin Summit (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60282) at the LA Convention Center

Martial Arts Event Rises to New Level (http://www.asianweek.com/2011/05/09/martial-arts-event-rises-to-new-level/)
By Megan Kung
– May 9, 2011Posted in: AHSC 2011, Arts-Entertainment, Bay Area, Lifestyle, News, Sports

Muay Thai Kickboxing at the 5th Annual Asian Heritage Street Celebration in 2009.

Kru Sam Phimsoutham has outdone himself this year. Rather than settle for the already popular amateur bouts featured at past Asian Heritage Street Celebrations, the World Team USA owner has invested more than $100,000 in a truly pan-ethnic and professional martial arts showcase.

Shaolin monks flown in from China will be kicking off the martial arts showcase at the 7th Annual Asian Heritage Street Celebration on May 21, at Civic Center. Adding a theatrical air will be a lion dance team introducing amateur and professional fighters, along with cameras recording the event to be streamed online at martialvillage.org.

After the Shaolin martial arts demonstration, Filipino fighters from the International Eskrima/Serrada Association will show off their weapon skills in dizzying blurs of sticks and blades. A simple yet effective martial art, Eskrima views short weapons like sticks and knives as extensions of the body. Eskrima’s practicality arose from the need to quickly teach large groups of ordinary villagers how to fight.

In the main ring, amateur and professional Muay Thai and mixed martial arts fighters will provide non-stop action. The World Boxing Council, the organization under which champion boxer Manny Pacquiao achieved the super welterweight title, will sanction the professional fights.

Muay Thai, also known as the “Art of Eight Limbs,” uses the hands, elbows, knees and feet to deliver damage. Mixed martial arts often combines the punching and kicking techniques of Muay Thai with the grappling and wrestling of other forms of fighting, like judo or jiu-jitsu, resulting in a unique style to each fighter.

At street level beside the main ring will be mats where fights and demonstrations of various sports and traditional martial arts will take place. As this event historically draws the largest crowd all day at the street fair, try to show up before the monks begin the festivities at 2 p.m.

GeneChing
01-27-2012, 06:27 PM
Kung Fu Night/功夫之夜 2012

According to their facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/events/315855105126672/), it is happening at the Flint Center this Sunday 1/29/2012 at 6:30pm. However I couldn't confirm this on the Flint Center site. Tickets are available at Pure Shaolin Kung Fu Studio (10675 S. De Anza Blvd. Cupertino, 95014)
VIP:$88, $68, $58, $48, $38

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/276921_315855105126672_1054253878_n.jpg

GeneChing
01-31-2012, 02:33 PM
Shi Hengpei and Shi Hengyuan are from Shaolin Temple USA (http://shaolinusa.us/) which has a branch here in Fremont. Apparently they did a little demo for our Main Library on 1/21.

Of course, there's been a ton of little Shaolin demos like this for Chinese New Years. The newsfeeds have been littered with them.

GeneChing
02-01-2012, 06:04 PM
Chinese New Year Gala 2012 硅谷春晚 (http://sf.cpaasv.org/index.htm)

Date: Saturday, February 4, 2012, 7:30 PM

Venue: San Jose Center for the Performing Arts
255 Almaden Blvd., San Jose, CA 95113 (map)

Tickets: $25, $38, $50, $100 (VIP, tax deductible)
40% off for children 4-10 or seniors 60+ (kid 3- not recommended)
10% off for 10+ tickets and 20% off for 40+ tickets
5% off if purchased before December 15, 2011

Phone: (408) 973-8276 (order online)

The annual Spring Festival Silicon Valley (SFSV) is a full-scale production that is a variety show to entertain the general public to share the joy of the lunar New Year. The program will include two new works by CPAA and prestigious art companies in Bay Area. The special guests from China include top-notch acrobats, vocalists, magician, and comedian.

SFSV 2012 Program 硅谷春晚節目

1. Happy New Year! - opening with dance & magic <<慶新春>>
a. Welcome by 12 Zodiacs
b. Happy New Year! Change Face

2. Descendants of the Dragon <<龍的傳人>> - 民族大連唱

3. Land of the Dragon Descendants - colorful nationalities
a. Grassland - Mongolian
b. Heavenly Way - Tibetan
d. Shangri-La - Yunan
e. Red Sun - Korean
f. Taiwan Folk Song Suite
g. Joy of Spring - Uighurs

4. The Global Chinese - Chorus & Kung Fu
Intermission

5. Legend of the Dragon King <<龍的傳說>> - 大型歌舞劇
- integration of music, dance, acrobatics, martial arts,magic & light effect
a. The Court - parade of Dragon King, Turtle Minister, Crab General, Prawn
warriors,and court ladies
b. Seaweed Fairy - classical dance
c. Court Music Ensemble - music & vocal
d. Coral Fairies - ballet
g. Princess Gold Fish & Bluefish - classical dance
h. Sea Waves and Thundering - special lighting effect
i. Celestial Dragon - magical 60 fluorescent dragon
Several Shaolin disciples have been involved with CPAA, promoters of this event. I'm not sure who is still on board with them, but the kung fu is surely from that faction.

GeneChing
07-10-2012, 09:13 AM
There is an 11-pic photo gallery if you follow the link. I only cut & pasted the one that featured the 'Shaolin Monk martial artists'.

Emperor’s Imperial Palace acrobats, martial artists in Santa Cruz (http://photos.mercurynews.com/2012/07/09/emperors-imperial-palace-acrobats-martial-artists-in-santa-cruz/#9)
Posted Jul 09, 2012
http://director.mercurynews.com/p.php?a=fnx7d3Z5JXl0bSc0JDQtMjI6OjI9OyYyKz88LTM%2B MiU%2BJzE%2FOicjKD8nNyM%3D&m=1341872677
The Emperor’s Imperial Palace show, now, at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, features 30-minutes of Chinese acrobats and Shaolin Monk martial artists in an amazing display, bringing to life the ancient magic of the Ming Dynasty Emperor’s court as practiced through centuries of Chinese culture. There are two free shows daily, Sunday through Thursdays at noon and 3pm, until Aug. 23.

GeneChing
09-24-2012, 09:49 AM
This is about 1+ hour north of our office.

Shaolin Warriors (http://www.marincounty.org/Depts/CU/Calendar)
Saturday, October 13, 2012 | 8pm
10 Avenue of the Flags
San Rafael, CA 94903-5204
http://www.trumba.com/i/DgB3kv-Oxl8tQmon%2Ax4B6b6j.png
In an all-new fully choreographed theatrical production, the Shaolin Warriors bring the remarkable skill, stunning movement and spectacular imagery of Kung Fu to stages throughout the world. Performed by disciples of the Shaolin schools, known throughout the world for their disciplined and deadly martial-arts prowess, these Kung Fu masters have trained from a very young age in mental and physical disciplines, which allow them to perform feats one thought only possible in the movies. The production features many forms of Shaolin Kung Fu as well as a look at the daily life of the warriors and their Zen philosophy.
Price: $50, $35, $25, Students $20, (Bargain seats $20)
Ticket Info: Buy Tickets
Sponsor: Marin Center

GeneChing
08-05-2015, 10:47 AM
The Shaolin In My Heart Shaolin Kungfu Show (https://www.facebook.com/events/593723397436625/)
Monday, October 12at 7:00pm
Performing Arts Center, Chabot College
25555 Hesperian Blvd, Hayward, California 94545

According to this facebook page, tickets are available at http://chineseticketbox.com but I couldn't find the listing.

I'm not sure if this is connected to The-4th-Shaolin-Cultural-Festival-San-Francisco-CA-Oct-8-11-2015 (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?68641-The-4th-Shaolin-Cultural-Festival-San-Francisco-CA-Oct-8-11-2015) of not. Chineseticketbox has handled previous Shaolin events. But then, given what's happening with the Abbot right now (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?42909-Abbot-scandals&p=1285447#post1285447), who knows what will happen?

GeneChing
08-27-2015, 10:16 AM
I'm taking this up on our The-4th-Shaolin-Cultural-Festival-San-Francisco-CA-Oct-8-11-2015 (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?68641-The-4th-Shaolin-Cultural-Festival-San-Francisco-CA-Oct-8-11-2015&p=1286228#post1286228)

GeneChing
04-04-2023, 10:01 AM
Legend of Shaolin Warriors - Live Performance of the Shaolin Monks - May 5, Fremont CA (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/info/tournament/2023songshanshaolin.html)
This is the first visit back for the Shaolin Monks to the San Francisco Bay Area for nearly a decade. Part of the Tiger Claw Elite Championships

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fs4pe00aEAUvluW?format=png&name=900x900

2023-Tiger-Claw-Elite-Championships-amp-KUNG-FU-TAI-CHI-DAY-May-6-7-San-Jose-CA (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?72410-2023-Tiger-Claw-Elite-Championships-amp-KUNG-FU-TAI-CHI-DAY-May-6-7-San-Jose-CA)
Shaolin-Shows-in-SF-Bay-Area (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?37527-Shaolin-Shows-in-SF-Bay-Area)

GeneChing
04-14-2023, 08:56 AM
Enter to win A Pair of Tickets to Legend of Shaolin Warriors (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSckEHr0zfvbEQmrQhFX70cV2Pe54LYkfqaVJSS7FZPP 4FKlMg/viewform)
Contest ends 4/27/2023

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/LbZ98LsJaX5Gek2YnM8_xUTE8T5Bc84TnxD2JYdZjxCa0lBAY9 TxtSS-D32nw6W5zJ6_nyAXXnzf7PgQ-ffkoWjFH92SGwXefbx9_0iUO9u44lrJ4A_XRPD9-r7nZQgdWA=w566

2023-Tiger-Claw-Elite-Championships-amp-KUNG-FU-TAI-CHI-DAY-May-6-7-San-Jose-CA (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?72410-2023-Tiger-Claw-Elite-Championships-amp-KUNG-FU-TAI-CHI-DAY-May-6-7-San-Jose-CA)
Shaolin-Shows-in-SF-Bay-Area (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?37527-Shaolin-Shows-in-SF-Bay-Area)

GeneChing
05-01-2023, 12:23 PM
See WINNER-A-pair-of-tickets-to-Legend-of-Shaolin-Warriors (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?72505-WINNER-A-pair-of-tickets-to-Legend-of-Shaolin-Warriors)

Posted to 2023-Tiger-Claw-Elite-Championships-amp-KUNG-FU-TAI-CHI-DAY-May-6-7-San-Jose-CA (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?72410-2023-Tiger-Claw-Elite-Championships-amp-KUNG-FU-TAI-CHI-DAY-May-6-7-San-Jose-CA) & Shaolin-Shows-in-SF-Bay-Area (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?37527-Shaolin-Shows-in-SF-Bay-Area)

GeneChing
05-04-2023, 09:49 PM
Looking forward to reuniting with the Wulin this weekend. Hope to see some of you there.

Tiger-Claw-Elite-Championships-amp-KUNG-FU-TAI-CHI-DAY-May-6-7-San-Jose-CA (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?72410-2023-Tiger-Claw-Elite-Championships-amp-KUNG-FU-TAI-CHI-DAY-May-6-7-San-Jose-CA)
Shaolin-Duan (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?25829-Shaolin-Duan)
WildAid-Tiger-Claw-Champion (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?57416-WildAid-Tiger-Claw-Champion)
The-Tiger-Claw-Heavy-Guandao-Championship (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?71742-The-Tiger-Claw-Heavy-Guandao-Championship)
Songshan-Shaolin-Champion (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?60021-Songshan-Shaolin-Champion)

GeneChing
05-08-2023, 12:26 PM
Legend of Shaolin Warriors completely sold out.

See our new Facebook album - Legend of Shaolin Warriors - photos by Kevin Ho (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?vanity=135964689362&set=a.10161435407799363)

https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/345842949_6800202326676821_1601021662193030754_n.j pg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=0debeb&_nc_ohc=DhyCixB1gfEAX9F7c9H&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.xx&oh=00_AfCdxHp5vWUzttY3tMDDhJdu6k85dQsJ2czqm4M3bxCU nA&oe=645DFA68

Legend-of-Shaolin-Warriors-part-of-the-Tiger-Claw-Elite-Championship-2023 (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?72511-Legend-of-Shaolin-Warriors-part-of-the-Tiger-Claw-Elite-Championship-2023)
Tiger-Claw-Elite-Championships-amp-KUNG-FU-TAI-CHI-DAY-May-6-7-San-Jose-CA (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?72410-2023-Tiger-Claw-Elite-Championships-amp-KUNG-FU-TAI-CHI-DAY-May-6-7-San-Jose-CA)

GeneChing
05-09-2023, 11:25 AM
30 more photos posted to Legend of Shaolin Warriors - photos by Kevin Ho (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?vanity=135964689362&set=a.10161435407799363)

https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/345881881_900935604309588_155917703495657453_n.jpg ?_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=0debeb&_nc_ohc=g0mjCjeVR2AAX9hcbtk&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.xx&oh=00_AfDeTEpIgAHsBHJIXgyZ2gqRaiqvqZcj4LtCDPKe2vis 8Q&oe=646037B2

Legend-of-Shaolin-Warriors-part-of-the-Tiger-Claw-Elite-Championship-2023 (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?72511-Legend-of-Shaolin-Warriors-part-of-the-Tiger-Claw-Elite-Championship-2023)

GeneChing
07-25-2023, 08:56 AM
We will be releasing the entire Legend of Shaolin Warriors show on our YouTube channel for free. Subscribe now (https://www.youtube.com/@KungfuMagazineDOTcom).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AC0oTIqjnw