PDA

View Full Version : blocking punches with forearm

ReignOfTerror
07-15-2005, 03:14 AM
I noticed that with big gloves blocking a punch with forearms works really well as you raise it at an angle and the punch lands right onto it, but when I try it bare knuckle to myself (hit my arm) the bone really hurts as the knuckles dig in, if someone did that in a real fight could the arm go numb?

Scott R. Brown
07-15-2005, 04:05 AM
If they hit a nerve yes!!

There are nerves that run along the insides of the bones of the forearms so if they are struck hard enough the forearm can go numb!!

It is better to block with the muscles as the contact point!!

ReignOfTerror
07-15-2005, 04:08 AM
so its better to block the crazy monkey way (with forearms facing outwards meaning the backfist faces their direction and palm faces you), than it is with the thumb facing you in a sort of vertical and at an angle fist/arm? cause in boxing the latter works better but I guess its too risky for bare knuckle. And the reason I say the latter is more effective with goves cause its faster, less ackward (since in a stance your hands are posisioned that way and you dont have to rotate or turn them but move them up a bit inf ront of your face), and because with the crazy monkey way I notised it pushes you back alot if your opponent is stronger and bigger than you.

Scott R. Brown
07-15-2005, 04:14 AM
Well it is best to stay flexible and try not to say never!!

There are even more nerves located on the outside of the forearm; the back side as you are calling it!! In between all those little muscles nerves are located. The meaty part of the inside will be less painful but it depends upon what is occuring during the fight!!

It is best to avoid a strike, if that is not possilbe then parry it, or slip it, and if that is not possible then block it. Force against force will do the most damage, so avoid it if you can, but if not you do what is the most expedient or effective at the time!!!

Oso
07-15-2005, 06:59 AM
I noticed that with big gloves blocking a punch with forearms works really well as you raise it at an angle and the punch lands right onto it, but when I try it bare knuckle to myself (hit my arm) the bone really hurts as the knuckles dig in, if someone did that in a real fight could the arm go numb?

Not if you were to train Pong Lai !!!