PDA

View Full Version : For the teachers out there

hskwarrior
07-16-2005, 06:41 PM
Hey, what's up? it's been pretty boring around here, where'd ev'rybody go?

Anyways, I am putting this out to the sifu's out there, and hope to read some of your student success stories. I wanted to share this one because as a sifu i love seeing the fruits of my labor.

On wed this week during class i was teaching a very sneaky technique my sifu calls the duck kick. anyways, one of my students we nicknamed golden panther because of his speed is only about 160 lbs. And "Iron OX" one of my other students (just weighed in at a solid 315 lbs, the both of the them were going through some drill techniques against each other. Well golden panther executed the duck kick but traded it in for instead of a been choy for an elbow to the kidneys then shot forward for another elbow strike and sent the big 315 lbs Iron ox flying about 10 feet away. i mean he tumled head over heals backwards, and i couldn't stop laughing because one of my students made something i taught him worke against a guy twice his size. I couldn't stop laughing. then they sparred again and golden panther did the same technique again and sent Iron ox flying once again, proving that the techinque was highly effective.

I was happy because they proved to me that they are understanding what i am teaching and that also gives my students confidence that what they are learning from me is not something meant to be for the studio, it actually works out in the street. and for a guy that is only about 160 and to knock a guy down who's over 300 lbs, man thats gotta feel good.

SO, what i am asking from the teachers is what were some of the moments when you yourself saw the light bulb go off over your students head. I would love to hear some of those stories.

frank hung sing for life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TenTigers
07-16-2005, 07:25 PM
We were at atournamen, and my 12 yr old daughter was fighting. They didn't have enough people to create her division, so they decided to have her fight a 14 yr old advanced rank student. Now, I have seen that girl fight, and she fights hard, and she's tough as nails. Her school produces some good fighters, but it's all kickboxing, no Kung-Fu,at least when they fight. Funny thing is, that girl fought my older daughter the previous year and was beaten. She asked if my lil girl was the same one, and we informed her that no, it 's her little sister. Well, that lit a fire under her, and put total fear in me! (oh, no! My little baby girl's gonna get trashed!) So...I tell my daughter, "Are you sure you wanna do this? You don't have to fight her. She's older and bigger than you." and she said "No, Daddy. I want to fight"
So heart in mouth, I allowed her to fight. Well, she opened up with a front heart penetrating kick-heel thrust to the chest followed by chain punches that snapped the girls's head back. After they separated them, she came in with cup choy and dropped her. They issued warnings, but they allowed the fight to continue, and my lil pumpkin trashed that big'ol bully! I heard some people watching say, "Ho Mahng-ah!" meaning, "She;s so fierce!" That's my girl!
The thing is, we had just started working on the drills that she used to fight with. I call them attack sequences. I was not sure she had them hardwired yet, and I was more than pleasantly surprised when I saw my theories not only being used, but working beyond my expectations.

Funny thing-the other girl afterwards was dizzy and nauseous-all the signs of a concussion, and her mom was yelling at her because she didn't want to compete in the next event. Her Sifu also came over and was yelling at her. I felt sorry for that other girl. Even if she quit the school, she still has her mom to contend with.
Tragic.

fiercest tiger
07-16-2005, 08:35 PM
In OZ we call them like this, SLOTH, PLATYPUS, KOALA, ROO, WOMBATS.

HAHAHA

TenTigers
07-16-2005, 11:56 PM
Yeah, we have these two guys, now adults, but they signed up together as teens. One is very big,about 6'3" and strong as an ox, the other is tall and skinny, and fast. We call them "Thunder" and "Lightning". Another's name is Hadi-a young teen who is known for his Black Tiger Claws-we call him "Hak Fu Hadi-The Black Tiger of Persia"! and of course, my lil pumpkin, my daughter-'The Concussion Kid"
Me? I grew up with quite a few nicknames in grade school..they all rhyme with Rik....um, we won't go there.
actually, in one of my old schools, many moons ago,I had a rep for having quick hands, so they called me "Gwai-Sao"-"Ghost Hands"..I'm a bit older now, and probably slower, so trying to live up to that one is a challenge. My friend/teacher, who has been doing SPM for over 38 yrs spooks me out with his hands, which are possessed by Satan, We nicknamed him "Moor-Sao"-Demon Hands.
One of my Sifus, when he got exasperated with me not being able to get a certain move, called me "Fan Tung!" which is an empty rice pot-it can't feed anyone, so it's useless.
I kinda like Gwai-Sao better.

hskwarrior
07-17-2005, 12:10 AM
don't you have a name? "Fiercest Tiger" or is a tiger not an animal?

hahahaha we call that the blind leading the blind.

Hey Ten Tigers, i loved those stories. I wish i could have seen it myself.

thanks for sharing them.

frank

Yum Cha
07-17-2005, 06:40 PM
Sorry for the thread hijack, but I think the Nicknames are great fun.

Drunken Master (imbibed a bit too much at one dinner years ago...LOL)
The Inspector (a rookie copper)
Di Loo-ah (means "Big Boss" - the name circulates between some of the badder guys, depending on their demenor on the day.)
Exxon Valdez (a guy with a fondness for drinking LOTS of tea...)

As for pride in the students, a few have aquitted themselves in "real" encounters quite efficiently, which is rewarding. But what gives me the most pride is when I see them working hard, thinking and creating. When the fire is lit from within. And on the occasion when we touch hands and they don't defer, but stand up, or even get in a hit. And I don't give anything away for free...

There is always that turning point when they stand their ground. Its a psychological development, not a physical one.

fiercest tiger
07-17-2005, 06:45 PM
Gum Mo- Golden Hair was given to me by the Late Grandmaster Ha Kwok Cheung back in 1994 and ended up my name in Oz as well.

FT is just my name here for Mung Fu as in Bak Mei, Mung Fu Chut Lum. I can be hot headed at times so i suppose it suites me as well A$$HOLE! HAHAHAH

FT :p