PDA

View Full Version : this is a horrible way to block a punch

ReignOfTerror
07-17-2005, 05:09 PM
http://home.earthlink.net/~chiuchiling/ckDemo1Small.jpg

against anything but wild haymakers like fast jabs or crosses youd get eaten alive.

or look at this pic in the weird way he turns his back to the opponent and crosses his legs so that even a pucnh could make him fall:
http://home.earthlink.net/~chiuchiling/ckDemo2Small.jpg

Chizica
07-17-2005, 05:33 PM
I don't know dude. That looks like a pretty solid Dzuo Pan Shi (Sitting Crossed Type) stance to me.

rogue
07-17-2005, 05:51 PM
It looks like a perfectly aceptable way to block that particular punch, but why would someone punch that way?

IronFist
07-17-2005, 09:26 PM
That's also a horrible way to punch (other hand down by your side).

ReignOfTerror
07-17-2005, 09:30 PM
hung gar is a crappy style. The only style of kung fu I like and has somewhat effective strategy (at least in theory) are wing chun, bagua, eagle claw, shui chiao, and choy lee fut (and only small percentage of the curriculum of these styles works). I dont know enough ebout lama pai or e chuan to say anything though, so those might fit in as well. But generally you are much betetr learning mma, or at least learn mt for striking and shui chiao/sanda for kung fu.

kungfu cowboy
07-17-2005, 10:30 PM
Ok, so go learn mma; don't give cma another thought: and quit yer yappin'! : :D

cerebus
07-17-2005, 10:39 PM
Stop feeding the troll. ROT has never trained in any martial art and never will. He's just being an azz to get responses... :rolleyes:

kungfu cowboy
07-17-2005, 10:44 PM
I was hoping to take advantage of the fecal-oral route. :p

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-17-2005, 10:55 PM
once i decide to ignore someone i'm pretty good at doing so. i dont need the ignore feature i just skip the persons posts by reflex.

i decided to do that with that weird ***** that got banned a while back and i never bothered with a single one of her posts afterwards. actually this is the first time i've as much as alluded to her since then.

i thought i was going to do this with rot, but he's the only one starting threads and as slow as the forum has been i figured i might as well start reading his posts again. he needs some work but in time he might prove to be an ok troll. then again i may have missed some good trolls in the last month or so. he actually puts me in mind of a certain someone, but im not going to play guess the troll.

ReignOfTerror
07-17-2005, 11:37 PM
well merryprankster never trained cma, and he agrees with me, and none of you show disrespect toward him unlike me. Don't disrespect. He stated in another thread that cma and bagua in aprticular footwork is not proven hence why none in mma use it and crossing your feet isnt effective in real fights. Hence what these pictures or at least one of show. Sifu Ross agrees with me as well and thats why he teaches san shou not lama pai and said he suggested another teacher with a smiilar background to hsi to train hsi fighters like boxers/kickboxers rather than llama by keeping their hands up and throwing boxing type punches, and thats why they were doing as good as his student's were at san shou. He even stated on his teachers topic that the fights he witnessed in the park or whatever between cmartists were wild swings and such and werent very technical. Kun Lek is another guy who agrees with me on almost everything despite his heavy kung fu background, he even dismissed tma as awhole like most mmaers without training in tma do. I can go on and on.

kungfu cowboy
07-18-2005, 02:33 AM
Usually when you find something to be useless, you do not waste anymore of your precious time on it.

anton
07-18-2005, 02:51 AM
I think he's getting better at trolling. Could prove amusing in the long run.

TonyM.
07-18-2005, 07:00 AM
No. He's just annoying and ignorant.

Vasquez
07-18-2005, 07:25 AM
http://home.earthlink.net/~chiuchiling/ckDemo1Small.jpg

against anything but wild haymakers like fast jabs or crosses youd get eaten alive.

or look at this pic in the weird way he turns his back to the opponent and crosses his legs so that even a pucnh could make him fall:

looks like a good clean block with a solid stance. good tcma skill.

PangQuan
07-18-2005, 03:07 PM
lmao

the back dropped curtain, film quality, the precision in uniform.

If you cannot tell these were not action photo's. I hope you realize this was set up for demonstrational purposes only. To empasize the flavor of the style.

Its really funny how you talk about recieving respect when you blatantly disrespect people you dont even know, dont actually have a full understanding of their particular martial system, and most likely do not even compare to thier level of proficiency in regards to martial arts.

This my friend is why you do not recieve much respect...you give very little.

troll or no troll your still a human, and there are just certain codes of conduct no matter where you are or what you are doing that should be followed if you expect respect.

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-18-2005, 03:26 PM
troll or no troll your still a human, and there are just certain codes of conduct .....

i dont know who told you that, but i wouldnt listen to them anymore. they are liars.

PangQuan
07-18-2005, 03:35 PM
you did....

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-18-2005, 10:06 PM
this is true. i am a liar.

Mr Punch
07-18-2005, 10:38 PM
well merryprankster never trained cma, and he agrees with me, and none of you show disrespect toward him unlike me.He has trained YEARS of grappling, plus a little boxing and MMA. Add to this that he writes like an adult, strings together logical arguments and can follow others' trains of thought even if he doesn't agree with them.

VS you, a twat.

hung gar is a crappy style. There you have just dismissed a whole style based on two photos where you don't even know what they are supposed to show. Old, staged photos of static positions at that.

At least Merry or any other reasonable enquiring person would ask what the **** they were supposed to be doing first.

ReignOfTerror
07-18-2005, 10:56 PM
He has trained YEARS of grappling, plus a little boxing and MMA. Add to this that he writes like an adult, strings together logical arguments and can follow others' trains of thought even if he doesn't agree with them.

VS you, a twat.

There you have just dismissed a whole style based on two photos where you don't even know what they are supposed to show. Old, staged photos of static positions at that.

At least Merry or any other reasonable enquiring person would ask what the **** they were supposed to be doing first.

I have trained two years muay thai and over a year boxing, whichis more than amny of the ultimate fighetr contestants yet they got or almost got ufc contracts.

And to your second point, Im sorry for coming to conclusions but it isnt just based on that and I am not the only one to do so. Many internet mma nutriders/bjj nutriders/anti tma crusaders dismiss anything remotly tma and on the only evidence that they havent seen it in the ufc or do good in the ufc, so whose more ignorant in that regard? At least I researched and looked into those styles.

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-19-2005, 12:03 AM
by researched you mean made stuff up right?

cerebus
07-19-2005, 02:07 AM
Ummm, Mat. He (ROT) knows all this. He's just getting his jollies getting a reaction out of you. His previous names here (which have been banned) were "enforcer" and "strangler" (possibly others as well). If you give him the attention his desperate little self needs so much, he'll never go away. He's just jerking you all around and you're letting him...

cerebus
07-19-2005, 02:09 AM
And, for the record, he's never trained in any of the martial arts he claims to have. All he knows is what he reads on the internet...

FatherDog
07-19-2005, 08:21 AM
I have trained two years muay thai and over a year boxing,

No, you haven't.

whichis more than amny of the ultimate fighetr contestants

No, it isn't.

Reggie1
07-19-2005, 09:07 AM
Fatherdog beat me to it.

F*** OFF STRANGLER!!

Mutant
07-19-2005, 01:24 PM
[url] http://home.earthlink.net/~chiuchiling/ckDemo2Small.jpg

Above is a static pose to demonstrate stylistic training and maybe some exotic flavor.

Actual application is not even a block agaist a punch in that manner, but an entry for a throw/takedown as part of an inside counter and set up.

Its common in TCMA that what is presented in public is not the core application, but possible tangental offshoot of many possible applications. Whether thats a useful way to perpetute a style is a whole other argument, and a possible downfall of CMA these days. Back in the day that photo was taken and at different times in history, obscuring application did in fact serve a purpose for various political and rival reasons, and that mentality has become embedded in kung fu culture and training.

BTW Good riddance ROT.... varmit.

IronFist
07-19-2005, 05:50 PM
by researched you mean made stuff up right?

Ha!

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-19-2005, 08:54 PM
god ****it and i just started reading his posts.

in all fairness, everything he was posting was bull****, but he was still the only one posting half the time. i'm sad to see him go just because he was the only one keeping the board active half the time.

Vasquez
07-22-2005, 07:15 PM
Ummm, Mat. He (ROT) knows all this. He's just getting his jollies getting a reaction out of you. His previous names here (which have been banned) were "enforcer" and "strangler" (possibly others as well). If you give him the attention his desperate little self needs so much, he'll never go away. He's just jerking you all around and you're letting him...

LOL on your problems with trolls because most of you can't separate the fake from the real deal. LOL

Royal Dragon
07-23-2005, 07:37 AM
My personal best trolls have allways revolved around feeding already existsing trolls.

Vasquez
07-23-2005, 08:45 PM
My personal best trolls have allways revolved around feeding already existsing trolls.

that's the best way to tame them.

Vasquez
07-23-2005, 09:57 PM
your criticizing it because you don't know what you are looking at. From that crossing leg stance you can more than quadruple the power of a backfist.

And the above block. Using a similar angle, we have panther blocks which I use specifically to follow a jab to the inside and use listening jing to nullify someone whos punches are better than mine.

Why would someone punch that way? Because they know something about punching that you don't.

Its also for public eyes, so they won't reveal the heart of their techniques. If he was blocking to the inside with the crossing leg stance (zuo pan shi) then you could see the possiblities. By blocking to the outside they are hiding it.

So if it looks rediculous, then they are hiding the truth well.

very true. notice the person blocking is using tiger claws

Banjos_dad
07-26-2005, 09:53 PM
second picture. guy in dsao pan bu: right hand grab, right leg side kick to the guy's dan tien. ouch!
guys at a higher skill level can make moves from forms, classical stances etc. work for them.

BornToKill
07-27-2005, 11:58 PM
what is the need for secrecy today? Wouldnt the object be to draw students in rather than away, and anyone with any knowledge or even people with no knowledge of streetfights would lagh at those kinds of techniques, so how is that advertisement?

your criticizing it because you don't know what you are looking at. From that crossing leg stance you can more than quadruple the power of a backfist.

Mind explain the backfist thingy? backfists arent very effective techniques cause if they were boxers would use them (where they dont have to worry about anything else but punches), but so far they only seem effective when you miss a kick and have to keep turning.

And the above block. Using a similar angle, we have panther blocks which I use specifically to follow a jab to the inside and use listening jing to nullify someone whos punches are better than mine.

any pics/vids of this?

Why would someone punch that way? Because they know something about punching that you don't.

like what? most jjj practitioners throw haymaker sbefore each technique so that means they are awesome at punching too right?

the biggest gripe I have with the footwork is if someone pushes you while your legs are crossed youll fall.

Mutant
07-28-2005, 08:37 AM
what is the need for secrecy today?
Probably is no need today. But those photos were very old, of another time. And old tradition dies hard, esp in CMA, so some of that carries over. But so what? People try to make sense or add logic to something that just IS without accepting that. If you doubt many of these things work at all, then why care so much about CMA being secretive of things that supposedly don't work anyway, according to popular notion?

Mind explain the backfist thingy? backfists arent very effective techniques cause if they were boxers would use them (where they dont have to worry about anything else but punches), but so far they only seem effective when you miss a kick and have to keep turning.
Not true. under modern rules they are not allowed in boxing... but they do work.. ever see spinning backfist knockouts in mma or kickboxing? They happen. Boxing is great, but it doenst have everything. And there are lots of other hand techniques that work well without boxing gloves on.

like what? most jjj practitioners throw haymaker sbefore each technique so that means they are awesome at punching too right?
Yeah their punches mostly suk.

the biggest gripe I have with the footwork is if someone pushes you while your legs are crossed youll fall.
True. IF youre crossing in most situations youre very vulnerable, so not good technique. But there are crossing footwork for leg catch takedowns and throws that work very well in full-contact... this is when youre inside and have the other person in compromised position and ready to throw or sweep. Same basic move that was displayed but in a real application. Its misunderstood.

Sooo BTK, are you the latest retread of ROT, strangler etc, or just another clueless wonder?

Vasquez
07-29-2005, 02:28 AM
Probably is no need today. But those photos were very old, of another time. And old tradition dies hard, esp in CMA, so some of that carries over. But so what? People try to make sense or add logic to something that just IS without accepting that. If you doubt many of these things work at all, then why care so much about CMA being secretive of things that supposedly don't work anyway, according to popular notion?

Not true. under modern rules they are not allowed in boxing... but they do work.. ever see spinning backfist knockouts in mma or kickboxing? They happen. Boxing is great, but it doenst have everything. And there are lots of other hand techniques that work well without boxing gloves on.

Yeah their punches mostly suk.

True. IF youre crossing in most situations youre very vulnerable, so not good technique. But there are crossing footwork for leg catch takedowns and throws that work very well in full-contact... this is when youre inside and have the other person in compromised position and ready to throw or sweep. Same basic move that was displayed but in a real application. Its misunderstood.

Sooo BTK, are you the latest retread of ROT, strangler etc, or just another clueless wonder?

you will learn in time. that's what my sifu tells me 10 years ago and he still tells me now. the old photos are priceless.