PDA

View Full Version : NYC July 24th Throwdown

Ray Pina
07-18-2005, 08:28 AM
OK folks, we are 6 days out and we need to move from "might be there" to "I'm definitely going, count me in."

PLEASE, if you are injured and would otherwise come, would like to come but your cousins' mother's boyfriend's sister is having a birthday party ..... save it for next time. RESERVE THIS SPACE FOR MARTIL ARTISTS WHO CAN COMMIT TO THIS SUNDAY AT NOON (if time is a problem we can change it if you make note early enough, as in today or tomorrow)

1) I'm in.

wiz cool c
07-19-2005, 05:51 AM
Ray does Ikfmdc sell the fighting event that you fought in. And what event was it . I want to see Bag gua in full cantact san shou.

Ray Pina
07-19-2005, 08:51 AM
Then don't look at that video as an example :)

I was only 1.5 years into my internal training when I enterted that fight against my master's wishes. I had some internal technique, like how to close my door and what not, but the understanding was low level and I was still "fighting" and if you're going to fight that way you need conditioning which I didn't.

The fight was pretty much me jamming the Tai guys opening kicks, hitting him with a few shots, him clinching me, me deflecting his knees and then him sweeping me..... we did that for two rounds, or their was 30 seconds left in the second round when I gassed out. If I knew there was 30 seconds left I would have pulled through. I also later heard that guys were calling "time out" to catch their breath but I wouldn't do that. I wasn't prepared for that type of thing at the time.

But I do thing the video is out there. I actually need to get a copy for my own files.

If you want, come down to the throwdown this weekend. There's a BJJ, boxer and TKD guy coming. I've been focusing on Ba Gua lately so I'm sure my fights will have more of that flavor.

Here's a still shot from my San Da fight. I'm bottom right

(note: contrary to lkfm's claim, my "19 year old" apponant is easily a head taller than me)

wiz cool c
07-20-2005, 05:10 AM
Ray what # is the video or what was the name of that event. And everybody loses sometimes no big deal in my book.

Ray Pina
07-21-2005, 07:17 AM
I'm not sure about the number or name of the event/video but I'm sure you could find out. I believe it was in the late fall or winter of 2003 but I'm not sure. When I was running to condition myself for the event it was cold out, I remember having to bundle a bit and the boardwalk being empty .... and I know it wasn't this winter.

As for the loss, it was a big eye opener for me on positive and negative attributes.

First thing it taught me was to cool down, relax, don't force the fight. Better to chill a bit and wait for the right moment but then pounce like a demon. (This phase, may only last 3 seconds, but not taking the first bait of I don't want it. Maybe the 2nd or 3rd but not much more than that)

I also realised I wasn't ready for that because I had no clinch game. My master taught me certain things that actually work beuatifully in the clinch, but at the time he didn't show me the clinch applications, we were just developing my ability, my structure. So right after that fight he worked with me on bringing that to my game. It just so happens we had a Gracie student join at about that time so it worked out well.

Right now I'm like half tempted to go do another San Da event, but I feel like I may have burned that bridge on one hand and might not get a fair fight, and then there's the other side where I kind of like fighting without gear and rules. I'd like to bash someone's head into the canvas if the situation calls for it, or throw a forearm into the back of the neck if the guy is dumb enough to overextend on a round house and turns himself.

I feel like it becomes hard-core point sparring where maybe you can KO someone, not fighting someone where you're looking to finsish him and only finish him. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

The funny thing is, you'd think that loss would burn me where I'd want to fight that guy again. I've never really thought about it and don't know who he is, but if Ross could arrange a rematch with no gear and no rounds, just put us in there to fight, I'd love it.