PDA

View Full Version : Wing Chun school

Rokto_Obotar
07-19-2005, 09:52 PM
How is this wing Chun school http://www.rwcmt.com/
Im looking into joining it Im going tommarow to check it out any imput?

CoonAss
07-19-2005, 10:48 PM
to be as honest and fair as i can, please answer these:

where do you live?

how far will you travel?

also, i dont know of this instructor, but from my exp. the best teachers arent always found in the phone book. not to say that he isnt good - just food for thought.

if there is no contract, try it out and give it at least three months. then see if it "feels" right.

Steve

Rokto_Obotar
07-19-2005, 10:54 PM
California, Saratoga/Sanjose area 95070

Right now only about 10miles around my area once i get my license (2months) i will drive about 15miles.

KPM
07-20-2005, 02:48 AM
How is this wing Chun school http://www.rwcmt.com/
Im looking into joining it Im going tommarow to check it out any imput?

Yip Ching and Sam Chan are certainly legit. :) Don't know anything about Rey Garcia. Interesting that they have a "karate-ish" ranking system for their Wing Chun. I wonder if this is now common in Yip Ching's lineage, or just something at that particular school?

Keith

Liddel
07-20-2005, 06:15 PM
People have already offered some good advice so ill offer another idea...

Im All to sick of going to VT schools in my area and seeing them do actions that look more like another style than "Ving Tsun" actions...

I have NO problem with adding or subtracting anything you like, your life is yours and not mine, but when people do it and still advocate that they are doing the only true VT, this is laughable...

I say i ride a motorcycle but my friends can see four wheels on my vehicle so they know its a CAR !

This site you offered has many aspects to it, the Master openly states he's done other styles and offers information....all and all they seem open and honest.
So just go and see if 'YOU' like it....

Lindley57
07-21-2005, 10:00 AM
Rokto,

My list of frequently asked questions may be of some help to you:

http://vtstudiopa.moyyat.com/FAQ.htm

Azteca Priest
07-21-2005, 11:43 AM
The power of the mind is a great thing. USE IT.. People can tell you all too long of this and that. Make the choice for your self. Do not be scared into questioning. You are about to start your own path do not let others make the choice for you. This is your money, time, sweat, blood, and tears that are going to be used not ay one else's. I went around to alot of schools before finding the one that I am currently in and now that I moved over 30 miles away I stayed with the school because In my heart I know that I am where I know I should be. I was not even looking for Wing Chun I was looking for Aikido but when I sat down and talked to my Sifu he explained combat to me(my awakening) and showed me the efficiency of Wing chun. So do your home work. Question it and if you do not feel comfortable then move on till you do.

Jedi-X
07-21-2005, 01:36 PM
just be careful. when i originally got into wing chun i spend alot of money and time on guys that didn't know what they were talking about. take your time and do alot of research. if you live in cali, you won't have as much of a problem as some. but you should still be careful. one problem with some wc teacher is that they are too hard and tense. wc is about sensitivity and relaxation. how sensitive and relaxed can you be if you're tense? look for a teacher that practices in a relaxed manner.

Rokto_Obotar
07-21-2005, 04:45 PM
GREAT INFO GUYS THANKS!
can some one fil the rest of this in? it is the family tree of Wing Chun (i believe, who were sam chans students if anyone knows?)
Ng Mui

Yim Wing CHun

Leung Bok Cho

Wong Wah Bo

Leung Yee Tay

Leung Jan

Leung Bik (son)...............Leung Chun (son)...............Chan Wah Shun

Ip Man

Ip Chun (older son)............Ip Ching (younger son)...........Students...................

Sam Chan

This isnt the only tree after ip man there were many followers but sam chan was taught by ip ching i believe and I would like to know who was after sam chan?

also I thought sashes were for internal CMAS and belts were for External CMAS would Wing chun be a internal or external or both?

Rokto_Obotar
07-21-2005, 09:32 PM
STARTED FIRST DAY tryed it out love it. Really into it wing chun is amazing there concepts, forms :)STICK HANDS :)!!! This form is great. a few things hes a great teacher and one of the students there has been training for a year looks like a master already. Then one of the senior students is amazing with his technique. We worked on stick hands awhile because it was just 7 of us nice small class. During a good turn out 9-15? working inside and outside. Some downers one of my partners was going a little fast no big deal just made it a little harder. the senior student would work everything out and explain it all in a good way. another downer in a bad area? not like anyones gona come up and try to start sh*t with a CMA academy that would be stupid 40 guys whipin your a$$ ;). (we trained outside today because there was a maui thai class going on making too much noise). any suggestions? whats your class like ect...

bagua_sifu
07-27-2005, 08:14 AM
Yip Ching and Sam Chan are certainly legit. :) Don't know anything about Rey Garcia. Interesting that they have a "karate-ish" ranking system for their Wing Chun. I wonder if this is now common in Yip Ching's lineage, or just something at that particular school?

Keith

No, that's not commen in the Yip Man lineage.

CoonAss: How would where he lives and how far he's travel have anything to do with the Rey's school???

bagua_sifu
07-27-2005, 08:16 AM
hehe....... You started sticking hands on your first day??? Was that after they taught you the baat jam dao? :eek: