PDA

View Full Version : Horseriding stance

o
01-02-2001, 12:54 AM
I have seen a few different variations of the horseriding stance with different styles. In most places I looked it recommends a wide stance (2 shoulder width). However, a neigong source recommended a stance of about shoulder width apart. Are these differences important or does any version work well? Maybe some variations are designed for different purposes as well (i.e. qi gathering vs. strength building). Can anyone tell me about the different variations and their purposes, advantages, and disadvantages.

Thank

GreyMystik
01-02-2001, 01:03 AM
speaking from a purely body-mechanics oriented viewpoint here, the lower your stance, the wider it should be in order to allow you to lower your center of gravity (at least this is what logic would dictate) as well as lessen the stress on the knees. many styles advocate a horse stance where the femur (thigh bone) is virtually parallel with the ground; this would be exceedingly difficult(and i would think overly stressful) if the feet were only one shoulder width apart or less... also, alot has been said about not letting the knee past the toe etc...keep in mind. just a few ideas.

iamaloser
01-02-2001, 01:57 AM
Horse stance training is discussed in Southern Chinese Kung Fu, Does Your Horse Stance Grip

Braden
01-02-2001, 03:51 AM
The requirements for qigong/internal training are much different than the way many external stylists use the horse stance for strength training.

There is no cut and dry rule, and the focus will change depending on the style. In the bagua I am learning, we say that if you are comfortable, then the stance isn't deep enough; but if you are straining, then the stance is too deep.

The key thing is that you don't want the purely physical strain invoked by a low stance to interfere with more important things like your breathing and "unconcentrated concentration"/"inattentive attentiveness" ( ;) ) and other points of proper posture.

o
01-02-2001, 10:08 PM
The purpose of a horseriding stance for me would just be to gather qi at the dantian. If a specific horse stance offered this, I'd be satisfied. However, a stance which allowed me to both gather qi and strengthen my body would be better.

Braden
01-03-2001, 02:47 AM
There's no magic formula.

Your stance should be deep enough that it is work. There is the idea of your legs generating a fire under the cauldron of your dantien, which fuels the refining process of the qi contained there. If you are too comfortable, you aren't generating that fire. If you're not comfortable enough, then you cannot maintain the truly important points: breathing and relaxation, and perhaps some minor visualization.

I know that's not an easy answer, but that's the way things are. You have to learn to listen to your body in order to walk the proper line between the extremes. Perhaps this is one of the reasons why it is more difficult than it appears.

There is alot to qigong though. For cultivation alone, perhaps the ideal posture is wuji (looks almost like normal standing).

GeneChing
06-18-2019, 08:26 AM
I just couldn't resist posting this here. ;)

JUN 12, 2019
VIDEO: Tai Chi for Riders with Matt Brown (https://useventing.com/news-media/news/video-tai-chi-for-riders-with-matt-brown)
By USEA

https://useventing.com/images/_largeHorizontal/tai_chi_matt_brown.png

We are bringing you select content from the 2018 USEA Annual Meeting & Convention on demand in partnership with RNS Video Media, giving you a chance to relive all the action!

https://vimeo.com/340005142 Tai Chi for Riders with Matt Brown (https://vimeo.com/340005142)

High performance eventer Matt Brown has been studying martial arts for over 25 years and has used the principles and techniques he has learned in the dojo to help develop himself while in the tack. At the 2018 USEA Annual Meeting & Convention, Brown instructed a class designed to help riders increase their balance and partnership skills by using techniques from the ancient Chinese art of Tai Chi Chuan. The strength gained through this type of martial arts training can often be very useful to riders due to the increased flexibility, body awareness, and posture that goes along with the training. Brown coached attendees through a series of postures before moving to a partner exercise designed to increase awareness of balance and tension.

About the USEA Annual Meeting & Convention

The USEA Annual Meeting & Convention takes place each December and brings together a large group of dedicated USEA members and supporters to discuss, learn, and enjoy being surrounded by other eventing enthusiasts. The USEA organizes multiple seminars in addition to committee meetings, open forums, and tons of fun! The 2019 USEA Annual Meeting & Convention is taking place at the Sheraton Boston Hotel in Boston, Massachusetts, December 12-15, 2019. Click here to learn more about the USEA Annual Meeting & Convention.

Silly forum isn't embedding vimeo vids like it's supposed to do. :mad:

No_Know
06-19-2019, 01:16 PM
That particular video is 1.9 Gb...enough to choke a horse (big file). I picked a spot and it wouldn't play and that's on the site. So, computer processing, network connectivity...and It's just perhaps just such a Big file. Perhaps some such one might say.

I No_Know