PDA

View Full Version : 18 Famous Boxing Styles

rickyscaggs
07-20-2005, 02:09 PM
There are hundreds of Shaolin forms. No one could possibly master them all within one lifetime. As I have learned, there have been about 100 forms narrowed down as most common forms. Of these 100 there are 18 carefully picked famous boxing styles. They include, as far as I know, Xiao Hong, Da Hong, and Zhao Yang.

Does anyone know the rest of the famous 18 boxing styles? I'm guessing Qi Xing, Mei Hua, and Tong Bei are among them.

NorthernShaolin
07-21-2005, 08:51 PM
You need to clarify this question. You mention styles but you start off by listing sets. So which is it, 18 styles or 18 sets?

Also are just narrowing to external styles or both internal and external? or Shaolin styles only?

Are you refering to the 18 whatever as in the opinion of the world or just in China's eyes?

rickyscaggs
07-21-2005, 11:26 PM
Yes, sets is what I was meaning. I know Xiao Hong, Da Hong, and Zhao Yang Quan are 3 of the sets. I can take pretty good guesses as to a few more. But I'd like to know for sure which sets they are. In Chinese it's said "Shao Lin zui zhu ming de shi ba quan". Which is Shaolin most famous 18 fists (sets). I don't think this is a known title of the group. That's just how I first heard about them. Simply meaning there are 18 sets within Shaolin that are most famous.

Forkintheroad
07-25-2005, 12:04 PM
Sorry to barge in on this discussion, but Norther Mantis has a similar story stating it originated at the shaolin temple, from these 18 styles. I've heard that the styles where brought to the temple by Abbott Fu Ju.

1. In the beginning there was "Long-range Boxing" (Chang Quan) style of emperor Tai Zu.

2. "Through the Back" (Tongbei) boxing of Master Han Tong's considered parental.

3. Hand technique "Rap Around and Seal" (Chan Feng) of Master Zhang En is especially profound.

4. "Close-range Strikes" (Duanda) boxing of Master Ma Ji is the most remarkable.

5. It is impossible to come close to Master Huang You who knows the "Close Range Hand Techniques" (Kao Shou).

6. The technique "Blocking Hands and Following Trough Fist" (Keshou Tongquan) of Master Jin Xiang;.

7.The hand techniques of "Hooking, Scooping and Grabbing Hands" (Gou Lou Cai Shou) of Master Liu Xing.

8.The "Methods of Sticking, Grabbing, and Falling" (Zhanna Diefa) of Master Yan Qing.

9. The "Short Boxing"(Duan Quan) of Master Wen Yuan is the most extraordinary.

10. The style "Monkey Boxing" (Hou Quan) of Master Sun Heng is also flourishing.

11.The "Cotton Fist"(Mien Quan) techniques of Master Mien Shen is lightning fast.

12. The "Throwing-Grabbing and Hard Crashing" (Shuailue Yingbeng) techniques by Master Huai De.

13.The technique of "Ducking, Leaking and Passing through the Ears" (Gunlou Guaner) of Master Tan Fang.

14. The strongest leg kicking technique is "Mandarin ducks kick " (Yuanyang Jiao) of Master Lin Chong.

15.The "Seven Postures of Continuous Fist Strikes" (Qishi Lianquan) techniques by Master Meng Su.

16. "Hand Binding and Grabbing" (Kunlu Zhenru) techniques of Master Yang Gun attack instantly.

17.The techniques of "Explosive Strikes into the Hollow Parts of the Body" (Woli Paochui) by Master Cui Lian.

18. "Praying Mantis" (Tanglang) boxing of Master Wang Lang absorbed and equalized all previous techniques.

Some of the spelling may be different, or I may be thinking of something totally different. In anycase I took this list from Ilya Profatilov's web page.

I was just wondering if the Shaolin arts had a similar story.

mantis108
07-25-2005, 01:59 PM
The Northern manits' version of 18 styles story was originated with a manuscript, Luohan Duanda, wrote or edited by a native Shandong Daoist (possibly just a pen name) called Shengxiao Daoren. He was believed to have lived during the mid 1700s CE. He also might have sojourned in the former capital of Manchurian territories where his student supposedly took the original copy. Shengxiao re-edited it out of his memory or so the story goes.

It is said that Luohan Duanda was created by Fuju (IMHO a rendition of Fuyu) monk of Shaolin. However, there are so many holes in the story that the theory of this being Shaolin origin is very shakey at best. For example, there are plenty of Confucius and Daoist quotes plus mockery of the Sangha in the text that one would have to wonder why on earth a monk would write something like that. BTW, there are plenty of quotes straight from Mengzi who was Confucius' most famous student.

Luohan Duanda was possibly developed out of Shandong indigenous MA. It is also possibly an attempt to white wash some cult militia's Kung Fu (ie White Lotus or its derivitives such as Meihua Zhuang.)

It is believe that other systems that have come across the list would have slight variations on the list. For example, Mantis would be listed as No. 17 instead of No. 18. and the wording would be different in Chinese as well. There is also a parallel at least in number between 18 styles (hand to hand) and the 18 weapons.

Anyway, just some thoughts to share.

Mantis108

Tainan Mantis
03-04-2012, 08:18 AM
Eighteen Famous Boxing Styles comes from ShengXiao Daoren's Shaolin's Transmission of Robe and Bowl manual. it is properly called Surnames of the Founders of Eighteen Styles.
These Eighteen styles are linked together with the Seven Maneuvers.

The manual states

‘Seven Maneuvers Gathered Within Continuous Fist Make The Eighteen Combinations. They are seven types of maneuvers that take the techniques of eighteen styles and combine them into a way that continuously interconnects without end.’
I don't think that this is now part of Shaolin. Here is an article on the Seven Maneuvers.

The Heavenly Taoist's Praying Mantis Strikes (http://www.plumflowermantisboxing.com/Articles/2012/The%20Heavenly%20Taoists%20Praying%20Mantis%20Stri kes.htm)

Shaolin
03-05-2012, 02:10 PM
There are hundreds of Shaolin forms. No one could possibly master them all within one lifetime. As I have learned, there have been about 100 forms narrowed down as most common forms. Of these 100 there are 18 carefully picked famous boxing styles. They include, as far as I know, Xiao Hong, Da Hong, and Zhao Yang.

Does anyone know the rest of the famous 18 boxing styles? I'm guessing Qi Xing, Mei Hua, and Tong Bei are among them.

It depends on the coach. Because the temple and it's manuscripts have been trashed so many times over the years, if there was ever a temple standard it's long gone. The main basic sets I know of and learnt are:

1. 18 Methods
2. Wu Bu Quan
3. Xiao Lohan Quan
4. Xiao Hong Quan
5. Da Hong Quan
6. Chang hu xingyi men Quan
7. Xiao Pao Quan
8. Da Pao Quan
9. Wu Xing Ba Fa
10. QiXing Quan
11. Ba Bu Lian Huan Quan
12. Lian Hua Quan
13. TaiZu Chang Quan
14. XiaoTong bei Quan
15. DaTong Bei Quan
16. Zhao Yang Quan
17. Da Lohan Quan
18. Lohan Shi Ba Shou

I say it depends because other coaches teach other sets, for example 18 methods and 5 stance aren't really forms just basic stance drills. I've known other coaches to include/substitue Rou Quan, Ba Duan Jin, Yi Jin Jing and Xi Sui Jing as apart of their "18 sets."