PDA

View Full Version : Non-Wong Fei Hung linages of Hung Gar

kung fu fighter
07-21-2005, 10:40 AM
Hi,
Does anyone know of Hung Gar linages that's different from Wong Fei Hung line. I heard that there was a village system of hung gar which emphasize a much softer approach.

What's the Hasayfu linage about?

Also what theories and concepts are ilustrated by the crane in hung gar?

David Jamieson
07-21-2005, 12:19 PM
Hung Gar = Hung Family all lineages are Huang fei hung connected.

Hung Kuen = not necessarily Huang fei hung connected although in some cases yes.

Other village hung styles usually belong to the hung kuen or fist of hung styles which share at the base shaolin kungfu although Hung Gar is also shaolin based in some respects. or many respects depending what the school is.

brothernumber9
07-21-2005, 01:38 PM
does that imply that Hung Ga was not really known as 'Hung Ga' until Wong Fei Hung Generation? or that Hung Ga kuen is distinct from 'Hung Kuen'? After it's inception did it have a name or term that identified it? I don't study Hung Ga but I always thought 'Hung Ga' and 'Hung Kuen' and 'Hung Ga Kuen' were all referencing the same tree from Hung Hei Goon. If they all or some are actually different or carry specific meaning for those who practice the above discipline(s) then it would be cool to have that info clarified for outsiders.

kung fu fighter
07-21-2005, 03:55 PM
Can you tell me what the all the different linages of hung kuen are that have no conncetion to wong fei hung?

Ben Gash
07-22-2005, 06:41 AM
It would be impossible to catalogue all the different lineages as basically there's as many lines as there are villages in Canton. Their individual characteristics can be wildly different, but they all share commonality in things like stances.
It becomes unclear due to lack of written records (and the spuriousness of much of what is written) as to which Hung Kuens refer to Hung Hei Gung and which refer to the Hung Men society.
At Po Chi Lam (as far as I'm aware) the style was usually just referred to as Nan Sil Lum Kuen, as are many of the "village" systems. There may be no true links between Hung Hei Gung and Hung Gar Kuen at all, but the Chinese do love to link their style to a folk hero.
Basically Hung Gar is very typical of Cantonese long/medium fist kung fu, making it very hard to judge which came from which.

David Jamieson
07-26-2005, 07:44 AM
It would be impossible to catalogue all the different lineages as basically there's as many lines as there are villages in Canton. Their individual characteristics can be wildly different, but they all share commonality in things like stances.
It becomes unclear due to lack of written records (and the spuriousness of much of what is written) as to which Hung Kuens refer to Hung Hei Gung and which refer to the Hung Men society.
At Po Chi Lam (as far as I'm aware) the style was usually just referred to as Nan Sil Lum Kuen, as are many of the "village" systems. There may be no true links between Hung Hei Gung and Hung Gar Kuen at all, but the Chinese do love to link their style to a folk hero.
Basically Hung Gar is very typical of Cantonese long/medium fist kung fu, making it very hard to judge which came from which.

I agree with this.
Southern Shaolin is the essence imo. It effects not only the Hung styles, but also the other majour branches which have and develop similar attributes in their practicioners.