PDA

View Full Version : Jet Li to quit Kung Fu Movie biz!

Mighty Scott
07-21-2005, 02:08 PM
http://www.kungfucinema.com/2005/072002.htm

Say it ain't so...

gfx
07-21-2005, 08:45 PM
But I'm glad to see him going back to his roots.

Just hope they pay proper homage to MiZongQuan

Mr Punch
07-22-2005, 06:36 AM
Thank God.

After that piece of toss Danny the Dog I was hoping for just that!

WanderingMonk
07-22-2005, 08:57 AM
http://www.kungfucinema.com/2005/072002.htm

with his last film on Huo yen-ja, the founder of chin woo athletic association, jet li is reportedly discontinuing his ma acting career.

rogue
07-22-2005, 10:19 AM
He was an actor? :confused:

fa_jing
07-22-2005, 10:35 AM
funny title at the top :p :D

mantis108
07-22-2005, 11:20 AM
Well, it's too bad that Jet Li was into MA for the money. He could have done a lot of great for the CMA community. But it's not meant to be. So he really isn't "The One" (pun intended) after all.

Both Bruce and Jet knew that movie business is just a phase. There is nothing wrong with that. Bruce would have built more Kung Fu capital (ie JKD improvement) if he had the chance. He's is still the immortal with what he have done. Jet, well, he is not into it period. It's a shame that he waste his talent. But then he got a hot wife and a stable family out of it. Hey, that ain't too bad. ;)

Mantis108

PS I love "Fist of Legend" and I think Jet Li should be remembered for that at least!

Mighty Scott
07-22-2005, 12:10 PM
Mantis,

I'm not sure I understand what your saying. How did he waste his talent? ("Cradle 2 Grave" not withstanding). If he was in MA for the money he could have stayed in China and churned out Wong Fei Hong or Shaolin movies to the end of time.

SPJ
07-24-2005, 08:19 PM
Jackie Chan likes to bring laughters to the audience.

There are a lot of fighting and stunts in his movies.

And yet, he considers himself a comedian. Even though, there are serious movies as in the most recent Police story.

Police stories made him famous in south east Asia and then the world.

Jet Li was a Wushu champ at 13.

His first movie about Shaolin temple was about fighting. He has a big smile.

If he decided to quit, it is his personal choice.

Hollywood will look for the next Kung Fu action star. Such as Donnie Yet and all.

Kristoffer
08-05-2005, 07:30 AM
Can't say I'm sorry. The quality of Jet's latest movies (fighting scene vise) has been average at best. I still enjoy seeing Jackie though even if he can't go at it like he used to.

Kristoffer
08-05-2005, 09:26 AM
Hmm. Just saw Danny The Dog. Fvuck. This movie is really good! I guess I have to regret what I said earlier. If he could star in good movies like this one again it would be great. :(

northernArts
08-07-2005, 04:02 PM
Good for him - I'm glad he can move on. Everyone has to make a living but now he can spend time with his family and do things that are worthwhile. Hero was one of the best MA films of all time - along with House of the Flying Daggers and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. Those three movies(Jet Li was in the first but not the other two) could appeal to non-MA audiences - they were beautifully done epics. But most MA movies are awful IMO. Poor plot, bad writing, bad dialogue etc. Jet Li couldn't do anything for Cradle to the Grave or Romeo Must Die - both were poor. Kiss of the Dragon was decent but that plot didn't have enough to bring in non-MA people.

I would love it if Jet Li could have crossed over more into mainstream US action films like Lethal Weapon 4 - he brought a lot to that movie. He could have really lit up the screen in an action movie where kung fu wasn't the main focus. But Hollywood didn't write those parts for him. :(

GeneChing
08-10-2005, 02:24 PM
Jackie Chan has been saying he is going to auit making action films for over a decade now. He has a good ten years on Jet and he still hasn't quit. We'll see what Jet *really* does...

zuiquan1
08-10-2005, 10:05 PM
I dont see why every one wants to break into the Hollywood movie market, I think there films are crap. Dont get me started on american martial arts films, utter bullsh*t. Hell im moving to Hong Kong to become an actor, im running away from hollywood

anyway I owe alot to both jet a jackie
jet got me into modern wushu, and jackie got me into martial arts in general
hopefully, eventually the two could star in a movie together

GeneChing
11-18-2005, 02:40 PM
He's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! Jet's going for Tekken (http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/668/668058p1.html) :rolleyes:

Rhapsody Rain
11-18-2005, 03:02 PM
Excellent choice. :)

PangQuan
05-12-2006, 10:00 AM
remember those rumors about jet li retiring after making fearless...I dont buy it.

http://www.kungfucinema.com/2006/012402.htm

GeneChing
05-12-2006, 11:26 AM
The Jet Li retirement thread. (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37638)

GeneChing
05-12-2006, 03:36 PM
...now that you've merged threads... :rolleyes:

PangQuan
05-12-2006, 04:15 PM
i am hopelessly confused now.

thanks gene :mad:

:p

jethro
05-12-2006, 04:17 PM
Excellent choice. :)

and why is it excellent he is retiring?????

PangQuan
05-15-2006, 02:32 PM
he is not retiring.

publicity stunt, got extra sells out of fearless, will get extra sells upon his "return" in rogue.

jethro
05-15-2006, 03:15 PM
he's getting old, most of his movies he has a double for high wire stunts. I think he wants to stop. We'll see:rolleyes:

PangQuan
05-15-2006, 03:30 PM
well thats what happens when you want to execute a martially inspired movement that would be performed by a constant practitioner, when you no longer practice.

its sad that jet li no longer practices his wushu, he was good. still is but now its all degrading muscle memory.

donnie yen would pwn jet li any day of the week.

jethro
05-15-2006, 03:37 PM
that is if you are a movie fan at all. But he said in the tarantino interview that he still practices 8 hours a day, is your info more recent?

PangQuan
05-15-2006, 03:51 PM
if you go to his website, its on there.

he says he practices by playing ping pong, racket ball and badmitten. he swims and runs.

so he still works out, but he says he doesnt practice his MA anymore.

he says hes going to be flexible for life, and his stuff is all engrained in memory.

kiss of the dragon. the stretch kick where the breaks the door operator at the end of the movie... no stretching out before that scene.

dont get me wrong, jet li is raw.

but i still stand by my pwnerization of Donnie Yen on the Li Lian Jie

but thats all info i got off of the jet li web site. so i hope he doesnt just let stuff like that get onto his site if its not true...

GeneChing
05-15-2006, 04:24 PM
Both Jet and Donnie built their foundation on modern wushu. Check out our July 2000 cover story on Donnie: Donnie Yen: The Evolution of an American Martial Artist by Stephan Berwick (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=120)

jethro
05-15-2006, 04:26 PM
Maybe he can remember it all, the brain has endless memory, but well see if he can pull all that stuff off after playing ping pong for 5 years.

PangQuan
05-18-2006, 09:42 AM
Both Jet and Donnie built their foundation on modern wushu. Check out our July 2000 cover story on Donnie: Donnie Yen: The Evolution of an American Martial Artist by Stephan Berwick (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=120)

quit trying to hijack the thread gene :p

doug maverick
05-18-2006, 11:29 AM
ah the age old question. i think donnie is a much better martial artist if not athlete then jet, i mean just look at te two, watch there films the way they move. even thou both have a foundation in wushu donnie lucks more modern in movement, more like a street fighter where as jet looks more like a wushu guy, donnie experiments more with new things(spl anybody), plus he keeps his ma training up, and jet doesn't. winner donnie

Jimbo
05-31-2006, 08:17 PM
Jet Li ain't old; he's only about ten days older than me.:cool:

Believe me, 43 ain't old at all. I thought so when I was in my 20s, but before you know it, one day, there you are.:eek:

jethro
05-31-2006, 08:53 PM
if you are directing that at me then I will say that he isn't exactly a spring board anymore. Better than most, but I say let Jaa and hsi kind take over, I want the jacky days back when their were no stunt doubles, or if they were, they probably never lived to do another stunt. I am not making any sense here, go ahead and rip me, 1 hour 8 minutes till I get off work, let me put these
on:cool:

Jimbo
06-01-2006, 02:28 PM
Jethro:
I think Jet Li's use of wires is more to do with being directed a lot by Yuen Woo-ping and Corey Yuen; however, except for a few movies, Jet has never really been on the top 10 of my favorites list of MA movie performers anyway (at least, I don't think he has). I personally want to see more of Tony Jaa, as he seems to be the only game in town now, and he's awesome. IMO, Jackie Chan hasn't made a good movie since Drunken MasterII. In fact, I don't watch much of anything he does anymore. It seems when Asian stars go too Hollywood and become too well-known in America, the quality of their work goes way down. Though I haven't seen New Police Story yet.

My comment on the age thing was only made because a lot of people turn against a performer for no longer doing everything like they did when they were younger. However, though 43 isn't old, the body does change and you don't heal like you could at, say, 25 or 30. Unfortunately, just as a performer may be reaching his prime as a star, the body can no longer accomodate as much constant abuse, and old injuries can add up. Which leaves it up to the stars like Jaa and hopefully there will be others too.

jethro
06-02-2006, 03:42 PM
I have to agree with pretty much everything you say. Though he is one of my poersonal favs for his performances in OUATIC 1 and 2, and fist of legend. But the wire work I just think would be that much better if oyu could see his face. I am just a perfectionist. If tony jaa gets under a choreographer like woo-ping, look the fuhhk out!!!!!!!