PDA

View Full Version : spirituality and enlightenment (a bit off the topic of kungfu)

o
01-02-2001, 04:41 AM
Yes, I know, this is a bit off the topic. I have read about a lot of different methods for enlightenment. The differnet versions range from zen (and other Buddhist forms), daoism, yoga to advaita vedanta (and vedics), jainism, and shamanism. Each one says something different. For example, in daoism it talks about the jing, qi, and shen (San Bao). The former two are involved in kungfu. Some talk about the 7 chakras (i.e. Tibetan Buddhism, yoga, new age). Others mention the 72 levels of development (which may be just a more detailed look at the 7 chakras). Both Bodhidharma and Chang San Feng reached the 72nd level. Both were martial arts experts (among other things). Buddhism (or at least zen) doesn't mention the jing, chi, and shen method and says to meditate only. The Buddha supposedly went beyond the enlightenment stage of what was known at the time and reached full or complete enligthenement. Does anyone know any sources which explains the different enlightnment(s) and compares and contrasts them. Right now it is all very confusing and I'm in need of guidance. Maybe a philosophical phenomenological approach would be good. Or some reserach involving heightened states of conciousness may yield answers

count
01-02-2001, 05:03 AM
They are all saying the same thing. You might try reading anything by Joseph Cambell. The hero with 1000 faces is a good start. He spent his life doing a comparative study of stories, myths and religion. There are literally 100's of versions of the story of creation from different cultures. Buddha and Christ walked the same pathes. Look past the metaphors and find the meaning and remember that it isn't really the destination that is important only the journey.

Much of the same enlightenment can be found in martial arts. They all lead to pretty much the same place.ยต

crumble
01-02-2001, 04:21 PM
I've been doing a lot of research on this over the past few years. Feel free to contact me at:

crumblespine@hotmail.com

The best book I have ever read on human development is Ken Wilber's "A Brief History of Everything".

The beginning of the book is kinda boring, he takes a long time trying to describe how sucessive levels of order "include and transcend" previous levels. Like how the structure of an organ has properties that include and go beyond properties of the protiens which comprise it.

But once you get past that, the book describes _all_ of the stages of human development, including spiritual stages.

I'm not saying that the book is complete, but -- more than any other book -- it describes the long path of spiritual development.

Hope it helps

HuangKaiVun
01-02-2001, 08:32 PM
Enlightenment is about being able to appreciate the wonder and richness of our daily lives on a moment-to-moment basis.

nospam
01-02-2001, 09:18 PM
I don't think this answers your question concerning comparative methodologies to enlightenment, but to me it is a path to understanding the Self. For this, one needs to foster faith in Self.

Many follow religious beliefs as this provides them with concrete guidance & structure. As we journey inward, perception becomes vague and questionable at best. What holds us together and leads us from point-to-unknown-point? It is a lesson in learning through understanding- understanding a multitude of experiences that constitute who we are here and now and who we will yet become.

Enlightenment is merely acknowledgement. With it does not come ageless wisdom nor peace of mind, but specific experience which once grasped can direct and effect instances of new found perception and further acknowledgement. I see it as very incremental by nature. And it does not necessarily always lead to forward steps.

Truth of Self. Being true to our self is or can be a spirtual journey. The one thing to remember is that the journey is but one experience after another, good, bad, indifferent. In my experience, one answer leads to many more question, as does most learning. Enlightenment is about harmony or balance through understanding of our inner selves. At least for me it is.