PDA

View Full Version : MA attributes

PangQuan
07-22-2005, 11:11 AM
Just curious what comes to mind when you think of attributes that coincide with your MA practices.

Here are a few that stand out most to me.

Dedication

Quick Mind

Strength of Body

Patience

feel free to list a few of your own and dont worry if you have to copy one or two of mine ;)

Ray Pina
07-22-2005, 11:13 AM
Unity of body, mind and spirit.

David Jamieson
07-22-2005, 11:27 AM
With martial attributes i tend to think of very direct things like:

Good endurance and cv strength.

Able to withstand force.

Good in the clinch with a variety of approaches to solutions.

Good on the ground.

Physically strong.

Fast and accurate.

Kicks are strong.

Punches are strong.

techniques are strong in this range or that.

an so on.

I think that these all fit into a greater detail of attributes of a martial artists with the more nebulous descriptions such as united mind/spirit and body and so on.

These types of detailed attributes can be dissected and focused on directly. IE: punches are weak? Let's drill them and correct them until the attribute in the fighter is improved by a marked percentage and then lets tackle the next attribute that is wanting.

PangQuan
07-22-2005, 11:52 AM
Nice points there DJ

WinterPalm
07-22-2005, 12:48 PM
Humility and a dedication to correcting and or being corrected at any and every turn. The ability to practice and be corrected by an authority with vast experience is in my opinion something many lack. This is an integration of physical and mental attributes and the ability to be a good student. All the Sifu out there were and are good students. To do this one should be free of ego and capable of accepting when one is wrong.

The physical side is very demanding but the mind must be tuned or else the path cannot be taken. I would say that the most important physical characteristics, from my current level of training, is a quick reaction time or eye hand neuralogical response that can take advantage of any opening presented. Often in sparring I sense or see an opening but the time for the response is not quick enough. I suppose this is commonly referred to as timing. However, the ability and conditioning to block or if need be to take a hit can never be overestimated. If you can't defend yourself you probably can fight back.

Another attribute I would add, if you can seperate these from one another, would be the ability to handle stress, change, and to adapt to obstacles and situations in life. We are only good fighters or martial artists if we are healthy, free from the burden of our minds, and capable of dealing with and controlling our emotions. Otherwise we lose our concentration in a fight, we might end up dead. That is no good.

Sifu has always told me that preserverance (spell?) is the most important characteristic of a martial artists. I think that to preservere, is to deal with the shortcomings of oneself and to grow beyond the pettiness that is often ego, attitude, mind or otherwise games, etc.

I think I've just expanded on what you initially wrote pang quan.

Chief Fox
07-22-2005, 12:51 PM
DJ, I like how you listed Endurance and CV strength as your first attribute. I believe that endurance is the most important physical attirbute of any MA. Without it, in my opinion, all the other physical attributes are worthless. I also like your reasoning as to why you listed more detailed attributes.

Mental attributes that I think are important in the practice of kung fu are:
1. Perseverance - basically hanging in there. Things won't always work out the way you want. You may get injured. You may struggle with a concept or technique. If you hang in there, it will be worth it.
2. Focus - This includes staying focused in the moment and staying focused in life. Remaining true to your goals.
3. Being Calm or at peace - For me, this is controling my emotions and actions during combat. Fighting my own fight.
4. Commitment - making sacrafices for something you believe in.

David Jamieson
07-22-2005, 01:35 PM
mental attributes are associated of course.

a resolute person, determination, diligence and perseverance are important to one's success at any endeavour. Certainly not just martial arts.

If a method can be proven by it's results in the simplest of terms, then that will develop attributes in a fighter. If it's just words and a point of view, it has no value in my opinion. It must be showable definitively and attribute development is going to be smoother if the method driving it is sound.

If the method is flawed or incomplete, the attribute will not develop as fully.

PangQuan
07-22-2005, 02:43 PM
Thanks for you input guys. This is turning out to be a nice thread.

I have recently upped my training to 6 days a week. I am definately finding my limitations and aquiring a better understanding of where I am physically, mentally and spritually with my kung fu.

This type of discussion can offer a great insight to beginners, novices and experts alike.

Having studied under a master for only 2 years now I am now able to attend the advanced studies classes. Initially, I was very surprised to see the lack of dedication and energy many of the longer running students actually put into thier training and studies.

I am also beginning to more accurately understand how difficult it must be to find good students, and the amount of frustration that must come along with constantly giving to those who dont seem to understand the amount of sacrifice made to teach well. The sifting process must take years to actually find the dedicated lot.

Of course I pull much of my life experiences into my training. Having lived quite a "full" life and yet still at a young age, I feel this is of a great help in aquiring and understanding much of what comes along with the kung fu life style.

It is this train of being that brings me to include an attribute that I feel is of the most important to me in my kung fu training and any other endevour I choose to seriously undertake: Love.

This is something I see many people to not have for what they do. It is a part of passion that makes passion what it truly is. Without a complete passion for what you are doing, I dont think its possible to achieve your full potential.

Unfortunately I have also noticed the more my relationship with kung fu grows the more I feel I am relenquishing ties in other places. But this I, for some reason, am completely comfortable with.

I have found myself, on more than one occasion, turning down an opportunity to spend time with a good looking woman, so that I could go train...?

Up until I began to study at my teachers school, the only martial activities I have ever undergone were the adolecent fights, personal intruige induced trainings, and the occasional tips from people in many different fields of study. So I will admit I did not walk in the door empty handed, but I have most deffinately been able to drop many of the vague notions I have had about martial arts.

Again thanks for the input everyone!

_William_
07-22-2005, 03:01 PM
Ability to perform skilled actions under pressure.

SPJ
07-22-2005, 06:41 PM
Yielding.

I move away from the original position. I yield to the left or to the right or back half a step.

I yield in a Tai Chi step.

I yield in a Ba Gua step.

I yield to the force but get close from the side in a Tai Chi and Ba Gua way.

I yield my previous front side to move to your back side.

I yield back half a step so that I may extend your reach and make you off the balance.

I may yield three times.

How?

To your left, to your right and back half of a step.

I yield to a charging ramming bull.

I yield to the locomotive of a mighty steam.

I yield to the surging wave so that I may get a free ride or surf.

I yield ---

:D