PDA

View Full Version : How much is the fair price for a MA class?

SPJ
07-23-2005, 08:31 PM
What is the regular, popular or fair price to pay or charge for a MA class?

Is it fair to charge higher if it happens to be a rare or not so popular style?

What is the classe size, 6 or 8 people?

What would it be a fair price to charge for private lessons or one on one?

Since TCMA requires several years just to learn the basic skills, how much to charge per year or over all?

If a class time is only about 6 months, what would be the average tuition?

Most of the interested people seem to work part time and go to college.

Would they afford the tuition in general?

:confused:

ngokfei
07-23-2005, 08:46 PM
this has been brought up many times before but since its here.

I guess it has to really depend on what the instructor feels his expertise is worth.

Also are you teaching for gratification or monetary gain.

Is it a student or a customer?

in nyc the average price is $150-$200 a month . Privates range from $100-$200 an hour, some places more depending on the material being taught.

I run a small group now.

Students pay me $10 a class so $40 a month. Beginners must pay $120 to start. Keeps the slackers away :p

Privates range from $50-$100 an hour.

If your running a school, contracts/agreements are a must. Not only for your financial future but tends to attract serious students and make individuals who are getting lazy get serious, especiallys ince they have to pay whether they show up or not?

a healthy balance between preserving, gratification and making money .

David Jamieson
07-24-2005, 07:37 AM
what is your time worth? figure it out and charge that.

SPJ
07-24-2005, 08:02 AM
NF;

$10 a class.

How long does the class last for each session?

How big the class size?

How many hours per day and per week?

:confused:

PaiLumDreamer
07-24-2005, 12:37 PM
Kung Fu class alone is 60 dollars (kickboxing and tai chi are seperate classes.)

Its monday, tuesday, thursday (sparring). 1 hour and 30 minutes.

I get charged 25 dollars for a private.

Its a pretty decent sized school.

Mikkyou
07-24-2005, 01:38 PM
It varies I think a fairly average is about $100 some schools may be cheaper some more expensive.I have seen monthly lessons go for $300 before
and some as low as $50.

PangQuan
07-25-2005, 09:35 AM
I pay $500.00 for one year.

This gives me 6 days a week training. (training not open on friday)

I feel its well worth it.

Shaolinlueb
07-25-2005, 10:03 AM
average training cost in western ma for jma, kma, and cma is 70-85 a month not counting testing. i believe my school charges 65.

Neophyte
07-27-2005, 07:17 AM
We get charged £3.50 for a 1.5 - 2 lesson twice a week
Think thats about $5 US ish

We have a small class 5-10 students.

We also have seminars about 3 times a year which are £45 for about 4-5 hours.

Cheers

Oso
07-27-2005, 08:14 AM
the local market will dictate to some extent.

Asheville runs $75 - $150 a month. Generally most programs are 2 classes a week w/ possibly some extra sparring or other one off classes thrown in.

oddly, it's the Mcdojo's that charge the most and give the least...

But, you can get your kid picked up from school and babysat till you get off work for $150 a month by unlicensed child care providers masquerading as karate schools. You couldn't get an afterschool program from a licensed child care provider for that so they have tons of kids. This will be the next big issue to arise besmirching the martial arts industry.

/rant

sihing
07-27-2005, 09:00 AM
In our school, where I'm one of the instructors and work fulltime (Wing Chun), we charge an adult 95$/mth based on a 12 mth agreement. They get 25+hours a week of unlimited classes and privates with the instructors included with this price. This is in Canadian funds also. There is a registration fee but this is included with the price. If one wants to put more $$ down at registration, the monthly fee with be reduced (e.g. $187 down then the monthly payment is $87). We also have reduced membership rates for those individuals that can only attend two, three classes a week, around $60 to $70 on month only, as we try to work with people's budgets and give them the opportunity to train in a Martial Art.

James

HanRen
07-27-2005, 11:14 AM
70-80 bucks are reasonable. :)