PDA

View Full Version : Dit Da Jow Reviews

CPL-Nut
07-25-2005, 10:23 AM
There's been some talk of jow on the forums lately. I thought it might be handy to post some reviews of the jows available online.

Here's the stuff I've tried:

Wing Lam Secret Kung Fu Liniment

I've been through a couple bottles of this stuff. It's supposed to be for iron palm training. I've done a little of this, but I haven't stuck with the training long enough to be able to comment on the jow's effectiveness. This jow has a pale brown coloration, and very little if any sediment is in each bottle. I've used it for general training bruises with okay results.

Ancient Way Dit Da Jow Iron Palm Formula Gallon Kit -- Powdered

About a year ago I brewed up a gallon of this stuff. I've been letting it age, and haven't really used it. I wish I had bought the non-powdered version, but at the time I had no idea what I was doing (who am I kidding – I still have no idea what I'm doing).

One of the first things I noticed about the brew was the smell. Since the kit comes with camphor and menthol the jow smells more like a cough drop than jow. Also, I used grain alcohol instead of rice wine or vodka. This was a mistake as well. (I'd also recommend against taking a shot of 95% alcohol. It burns like fire, and I felt like I had strep throat for the rest of the night. The label wasn't kidding when it said "Don't drink straight.")

Five Photo Brand Dit Da Jow

This is my favorite so far. It's fairly cheap per-ounce. Each bottle contains a fair amount of sediment. It has a dark brown coloration. I've tested it, and had good results in treating bruises, strains, and old joint injuries. It smells darn good, too.

8 Immortals Jow

I've only used this jow a hand full of times. My sifu has a bottle; he'll give me some when I've taken a particularly bad beating.

The jow is darkly colored, and has a ton of sediment. In fact, when you apply the jow some herb flecks come out with the liquid. It feels almost grainy. The few times I used it I was pretty pleased with the results – very good for bruising.

gwa sow
07-25-2005, 10:56 AM
i have the ancent way jow. i got the powdered version. i use it and its ok. i split it up and made it both ways the instructions said. 1.) put herbs in vodka let sit 6+months. 2.) split half and half water and grain alchohol(forget name) put herbs in water, boil for ten minutes. put herbs and water in alcohol. let sit for 3+weeks. that way didn't work to well for me. first way worked good. after i made it i would put a few ounces in a little jar to use at a time. i noticed the camphor smell would go away after the first couple of uses. i'm not sure if i was getting used to it or somehow it would just stay at the top of the jow in the bottle. i use it for bruises sprians whatever happenes during training. i would recomend it again but would still like to find a jow that is a little better. of course the messaging also helps the jow to work better.

CPL-Nut
07-25-2005, 11:59 AM
i have the ancent way jow. i got the powdered version. i use it and its ok. i split it up and made it both ways the instructions said.

Gwa Sow,

Yeah, I remember those instructions. Here's a copy of what the herb kit included

The simple quick method for making this is to bring the herbs to a rolling boil in 1/2 gallon of water, simmer for 30 minutes (covered), cool, add 1/2 gallon of 95% alcohol (Everclear, grain alcohol) into a large glass jar with the herbs (or split it into 2-4 smaller glass containers), shake, and leave it on a dark shelf (or bury it in the earth) for as long as you're willing--from 1 week to 2 months. Then strain, squeeze, and bottle for use.

The slower method:

Put the herbs, preferably powdered, into 1-4 different glass containers (we like quart glass jars) and cover with a 30-50% alcohol (vodka, Everclear/water mix, distilled rice wine, or sake/vodka/grain alcohol mix). Put it on a dark shelf or bury it, leave it for 6-12 months. Strain off the alcohol and press the herbs in a muslin bag or pillowcase to get all of the liquid possible out, then bottle the Jow for use.
[/INDENT]

I went for the quick method as well.

Did you strain the herbs like the instructions said?

I'll post some pics of my jow (and the other types I have on hand) soon.

Dale Dugas
07-25-2005, 12:51 PM
Fu Tze and Tian Nan Xing are some of the most poisonous chinese herbs used. This is one recipe to keep out of any kind of cut and/or scrape.

This formula is very warming, so be careful with over heating the body with this one.

In Boston,

Dale Dugas

GeneChing
08-03-2005, 12:02 PM
I would be remiss in my professional duties here if I didn't list our new Dit Da Jow.

Dit Da Jow - Kung Fu Liniment (http://www.martialartsmart.net/45100.html)
It's $19.99 list price, but now on sale for $14.99.
It's a 3 oz plastic spritzer bottle.
I can't give a review because I'm allergic to Dit Da Jow. :(

7th gen yang
08-03-2005, 12:54 PM
I would be remiss in my professional duties here if I didn't list our new Dit Da Jow.

Dit Da Jow - Kung Fu Liniment (http://www.martialartsmart.net/45100.html)
It's $19.99 list price, but now on sale for $14.99.
It's a 3 oz plastic spritzer bottle.
I can't give a review because I'm allergic to Dit Da Jow. :(

Hey Gene,

I tried this stuff, Pretty good stuff :)

herb ox
08-03-2005, 01:18 PM
Has anyone heard of using a decoction of Di Gu Pi (Wolfberry bark) as a pre-soak for iron-palm training? I heard of this once before, but have been unable to find anything that supports this technique...

any insight?

As for the TigerClaw brand DDJ - is it more for soreness and the like, rather than deep injuries?

peace

herb ox

7th gen yang
08-03-2005, 01:29 PM
Yes, this is true it was very good for soreness, The other Jow I use Is one that Ive had for 6 years which I got from china town in Cali from a herbalist my sifu knew at the time the herbalist had his own Dit Da Jow formula. My Cat knocked down my other bottle of jow I had for 4 years

needless to say the cat is gone :D

Dale Dugas
08-03-2005, 01:57 PM
pets are pretty useless unless they are seeing, hearing or seizure animals.

They are little or big creatures that never can fend for themselves totally and will always be in your way as well your need.

Cats are great if you have mice, dogs for protection. The rest are just there and take up space. Attachments you dont even think you have.

GeneChing
08-03-2005, 03:12 PM
Ever try to tame a feral? Pets can be your teachers if you know how to see them.

As for the Dit Da Jow Tiger Claw is currently distributing, a big sell point that they were bottled in these convenient spray on bottles. It's actually Master Wei's recipe - I have no idea who Master Wei is - some Tieda Zhang from Beijing, I think. Apparently it's a recipe that's growing in popularity over there and they are just beginning to market it here.

7th gen yang
08-03-2005, 06:27 PM
The cat is gone he came into my life just like he left

I had my front door open to my apartment at the time he walked in and layed down on my couch he was very funny, I always alowed him to come and go he was with me for 4 years then just like he came, he never came back

So I figured he found someone new to hang out with Personally I think he was some Martial Arts Masters cat sharing info as to what I was doing :D It took him 4 years to get my material! So now Im careful as to who's watching me!

TonyM.
08-04-2005, 01:29 PM
I have a tame feral cat as well . He was a ghost for the first two years. Now at fifteen he'll occasionally greet strangers. I don't use jow or any liniments. I'm a firm believer that topical medications are for amusement . Yes I practice Iron Palm and Iron Shirt. After thirty five years my hands are still fairly smooth.

Dale Dugas
08-04-2005, 02:32 PM
Jow has nothing to do with keeping your hands smooth brother, that is a side effect of the herbs actions.

Hitting bags of steel shot or other hard mediums cause serious microtrauma and other damage to the hands over the long run.

I find it hard to believe that you use no Iron Palm medicine after so long.

Most people would end up with curled up claws that are useless like overzealous Kyoskyushin karate people who hit their hands on trees, whack em with hammers and all the external nonsense that causes serious damage. As they use no medicine, other than "get through the pain" garbage.

Dale Dugas

Chizica
08-04-2005, 05:23 PM
tried a jow from this site, they have a pretty decent selection:

http://www.ditdajows.com

Dale Dugas
08-04-2005, 06:31 PM
No offence but the prices they charge for an 8 ounce jow are totally insane when you think about it. You can make 2-3 gallons from Mike Biggies jow formula for a hell of a lot less than what they are charging.

Nice bottles, but unless I know the formula you have no idea what is was intended to do, i.e. bring qi the palms, bring qi and move blood to the legs for leg hitting drills, etc...

Give him a yell at Mantisbxr@aol.com and he will hook you up with an Iron Palm medicine as well as one the better injury jows around.

Dale Dugas

Vasquez
08-06-2005, 11:36 PM
No offence but the prices they charge for an 8 ounce jow are totally insane when you think about it. You can make 2-3 gallons from Mike Biggies jow formula for a hell of a lot less than what they are charging.

Nice bottles, but unless I know the formula you have no idea what is was intended to do, i.e. bring qi the palms, bring qi and move blood to the legs for leg hitting drills, etc...

Give him a yell at Mantisbxr@aol.com and he will hook you up with an Iron Palm medicine as well as one the better injury jows around.

Dale Dugas

I think you're missing some ingridents so you can make gallons at a time. My sifu always makes jow in small qunatities and have to wait ages for the right herbs to arrive from china.

Dale Dugas
08-07-2005, 04:39 AM
Zannen, Vkun ga kempo to kampoyaku zen zen wakaranai da na....

Anta ga nandemo zen zen wakaranai....

ja mata ne,

Vasquez
08-08-2005, 06:38 AM
Zannen, Vkun ga kempo to kampoyaku zen zen wakaranai da na....

Anta ga nandemo zen zen wakaranai....

ja mata ne,

LOL brak brak brak - silly ole chook!

Buddy
08-08-2005, 07:44 AM
"I think you're missing some ingridents so you can make gallons at a time. My sifu always makes jow in small qunatities and have to wait ages for the right herbs to arrive from china"

Your first two words are a lie. Your sifu told me meat rots in the moon light, should I believe him?

Vasquez
08-09-2005, 04:46 AM
"I think you're missing some ingridents so you can make gallons at a time. My sifu always makes jow in small qunatities and have to wait ages for the right herbs to arrive from china"

Your first two words are a lie. Your sifu told me meat rots in the moon light, should I believe him?

you should only believe what your sifu tells you. why are you going around listening to other sifus. Its disrespectful for you to do that.

PangQuan
08-11-2005, 03:36 PM
http://www.knology.net/~therin/PlumDragon

This is where I purchased my last bottle of jow. I got the general purpose mixture, yet at the time I had a problem with my wrist tendonitis/carple tunnel, not sure what was wrong. For my curing aid some herbs were added for my wrist situation.

not much later my wrist is feeling much better. I am now able to put all my weight on it as well as almost full force palm strikes, with no pain.

Comes in a glass bottle with a glass dropper. I must say I dont know why no one else uses droppers. Its a great idea.

I know PlumDragon (Josh) has a smaller operation going on than others out there, but he knows what he is doing and has sure helped me out.

I will surely purchase jow from him again.

He also sales an iron hand mixture as well as aged bottles.

Check it out!

Vasquez
08-12-2005, 08:44 AM
http://www.knology.net

This is where I purchased my last bottle of jow. I got the general purpose mixture, yet at the time I had a problem with my wrist tendonitis/carple tunnel, not sure what was wrong. For my curing aid some herbs were added for my wrist situation.

not much later my wrist is feeling much better. I am now able to put all my weight on it as well as almost full force palm strikes, with no pain.

Comes in a glass bottle with a glass dropper. I must say I dont know why no one else uses droppers. Its a great idea.

I know PlumDragon (Josh) has a smaller operation going on than others out there, but he knows what he is doing and has sure helped me out.

I will surely purchase jow from him again.

He also sales an iron hand mixture as well as aged bottles.

Check it out!

I've bought a lot of Jow from china at stalls near the temple. They are authenthic monk mixes.

cbishop
08-12-2005, 09:40 AM
i started off with wing lam's jow.
used a couple from ditdajows.com.
made several of my own.

now i use mike biggie's jow (have a gallon right now).
it is truely the best i've ever had. african bird pepper
really hits the spot.

also there is a chewy ball that you can buy at most
chinatown supermarkets called "tieh tah wan".
i recovered from broken ribs in less than a month
with this stuff and biggie laoshi's jow.

herb ox
08-12-2005, 12:41 PM
For many years I swore by Lam Sifu's jow - now I realize it's a bit on the "light" side, although I do believe the formulation to be excellent - it just needs to be buried in the ground next to the kimchi for a few months. :p

One of the most effective jows I ever used for general bruising was a simple 'house blend' from an herbalist in Oakland Chinatown. It only had 8 ingredients, but dispersed bruises completely by the next morning after a hard night workin' the wooden dummy (geez, that almost sounds a little kinky :rolleyes: )

As for the Tieh Ta Wan, I've heard of dissolving that resinous ball in rice wine or vodka as an 'emergency jow' with decent results. I've not tried that, although I will often dissolve the pill in rice wine for internal consumption after getting the cr@p beaten outta me! The next day I usually feel better - If I don't take it, the next day I'm usually really sore, sluggish and have a headache.

peace out,
herb ox

Dale Dugas
08-12-2005, 01:54 PM
The Dit Da Wan/Tieh Ta Wan that I like the best is 5 Photos Brand. Not too bad of a taste. I eat it like taffy when I need to. Yummy for my tummy(and bruises...)

Lam sifu's jow is not bad. The recipe given on another post is the formula that he uses. I always make my jows with just enough vodka to cover the herbs, as that makes a very dark and powerful jow. If you can see through it then its not strong enough.

Dale

Vasquez
08-12-2005, 11:30 PM
For many years I swore by Lam Sifu's jow - now I realize it's a bit on the "light" side, although I do believe the formulation to be excellent - it just needs to be buried in the ground next to the kimchi for a few months. :p

One of the most effective jows I ever used for general bruising was a simple 'house blend' from an herbalist in Oakland Chinatown. It only had 8 ingredients, but dispersed bruises completely by the next morning after a hard night workin' the wooden dummy (geez, that almost sounds a little kinky :rolleyes: )

As for the Tieh Ta Wan, I've heard of dissolving that resinous ball in rice wine or vodka as an 'emergency jow' with decent results. I've not tried that, although I will often dissolve the pill in rice wine for internal consumption after getting the cr@p beaten outta me! The next day I usually feel better - If I don't take it, the next day I'm usually really sore, sluggish and have a headache.

peace out,
herb ox

That's right. before I guy jow from someone I always make sure they're a chinese sifu. Those jow are like magic pills aren't they. gives you back your life force although some ppl will tell you it's not safe for consumption.

cbishop
08-13-2005, 06:00 AM
dude, i hope you're joking.

Vasquez
08-13-2005, 09:17 AM
dude, i hope you're joking.

oh I forgot to mention on the safe side make sure you can sweat out the poison if it doesn't go away in a couple of days.

BeiTangLang
08-13-2005, 12:08 PM
Just beacuse something from China says its an "Authentic Monk formula", does not always mean that it is a good one. I have a friend pick up a sword over there that was sold as an Authentic Chinese Jian (I cannot reemmber if it was inside or outside the temple there)......well,....it is a sword....it was made in China,...but the materials/workmanship/quality was less than top-notch.

My intent here is not to down anyone for believing the lable or to say that the product is in any way lacking; My intent is to caution the buyer. The best way to know what is in your jow is to just make it yourself. I did & mine works almost like magic. Batch size makes no difference BTW,....as long as you can handle mixing the stuff thouroughly once a week for the first 3 months.

All the formulae that I have seen require that the jow be allowed to "ferment" for a minimum of 6 months & not kept in the light. I sell my jow in either cobalt blue or brown bottles to minimize sun exposure. One lady I know put hers in an empty "Absorbine Jr." bottle. Now _THAT_ is a cool idea.

Anyway, best wishes to you all,
~BTL

Sacoche
08-13-2005, 01:18 PM
oh I forgot to mention on the safe side make sure you can sweat out the poison if it doesn't go away in a couple of days.

.........WTF :eek:

Vasquez
08-14-2005, 06:40 AM
BeiTangLang

The guy selling the jow clearly was a monk. I asked him what style kung fu he said tiger claw and showed me some moves. IMO that's proff enough. He was outside the temple.

cbishop
08-14-2005, 06:25 PM
wow vasquez, that's truly amazing. could you tell me some more.

Vasquez
08-15-2005, 06:15 AM
He knew I was a genuine seeker of kung fu and not those tourist types.

cbishop
08-15-2005, 08:05 AM
i bet. how was the jow? did it give you any special powers?
surely you can morph into a tiger now.

Vasquez
08-16-2005, 07:45 AM
It's in 50 to 60 bottles which I had them imported. But it must have gotten lost in the mail somewhere haven't managed to track it down. I've alrerady paid for it

cbishop
08-16-2005, 08:55 AM
vasquez, my wife is an authentic shaolin monk. she can do a tiger claw too.
she makes up a great batch of magical shaolin cookies which i'll ship to you
for the low cost of only $50US per dozen. i don't like to sell the shaolin tradition
so cheaply, but for you i can do this. just put your money order in the mail
to 4107 redmond ave. bethany, oklahoma 73008 USA

it's way better than shaolin dit da jow. by the way, that monk that you met
was my father and i know that he's a no good charlatain. he'll never send your
jow.

PangQuan
08-16-2005, 03:10 PM
now son, that is no way to talk about your father. I did not sneak out of the temple to get some just to have a no good kid bad talk his pops.

and, darn tootin you wont get your jow. I already spent your money on rice. But those cookies are pretty good. i actually spent some of the money on a dozen of them. now my tiger claw can rend stone after eating only 4 of them. i highly suggest you get some of those magic shaolin cookies.

Vasquez
08-17-2005, 05:04 AM
you don't understand. he was a good monk and the real deal. I wrote to him and he regretted that it got lost in transit. He said he'll send me another batch but needed down payment to purchase the rare herbs.

Dale Dugas
08-17-2005, 05:18 AM
rare herbs? Most Chinese medicine is cheap. Really cheap. The only rare herbs are wild ginseng, or any wild versus cultivated herb. Dong Cho Choe is rare to get wild, most if not all are cultivated nowadays.

cbishop
08-17-2005, 06:32 AM
vasquez, after he gets the rare herbs, he usually smokes them.
then he forgets your name and address. it's magic. just send your
money to me, and i'll send you the magic dit da jow cookies.
(it's the chocolate chips that have all the magic!)

trust me. i have no reason to lie. i can even do a tiger claw.

yu shan
08-17-2005, 02:18 PM
I think `Quez is smoking the lettuce... dude cracks me up. Keep posting bro...

PangQuan
08-17-2005, 02:33 PM
this is great.

he gets your money. and sends the goods, which get "lost" in "transit". then asks for a second payment for his rare herbs he "lost"

this guy is legitimate. send him more money. you cannot find a more legitimate con artist than that.

oops did i say con artist, i meant martial artist.

TenTigers
08-17-2005, 03:22 PM
Don't listen to those guys. They're just making fun of you. There are no Shaolin Cookies. That is just ridiculous. Do not, I repeat do NOT send him any money. Instead, send the money to me. I will go to China and bring back your jow personally. I will need money for travelling and expenses as well. Make the check out to TenTigers. you don't need a cashier's check, Vasquez. I trust you.

herb ox
08-17-2005, 04:35 PM
I'm with TenTigers... there are no Shaolin cookies... there may be some Shaolin Fruitcakes in your future, though! :p

herb ox poundcake

cbishop
08-17-2005, 05:23 PM
tt,
back off ma corna. i'm tryin' to do ma bui'ness he'ah.

Vasquez
08-18-2005, 08:01 AM
Ha you got it all wrong. That monks the real deal. He knows I'm a good person and he would like me to marry one of his daughters. China is very poor so I'm bringing her here.

cbishop
08-18-2005, 09:13 AM
he's not trolling. he's really just that stupid.

Vajramusti
08-18-2005, 09:28 AM
Good grief!

A bad example pf Gresham's law.
The bad drives out the good.!

Joy Chaudhuri

Vasquez
08-19-2005, 05:11 PM
FYI it's not like mail order bride.... I've met her in china and she dresses up really well - waitress dancer etc.... wants to study hospitality in australia

yu shan
08-19-2005, 06:09 PM
quez dude most definitely smokes the tree, I think he is rather a cool troll. Have fun with him.

BOT... I use Shifu Mike Biggies dit da bruise jow. It is the best I have ever used. Getting ready to send funds for a winter batch. If anyone needs his info let me know.

Sacoche
08-19-2005, 09:37 PM
quez dude most definitely smokes the tree, I think he is rather a cool troll. Have fun with him.

BOT... I use Shifu Mike Biggies dit da bruise jow. It is the best I have ever used. Getting ready to send funds for a winter batch. If anyone needs his info let me know.

Do you have to send money for your bride - wake up man!!!

Vasquez
08-19-2005, 11:39 PM
It's chinese tradition Man! $50K I had to borrow some.

GreenCloudCLF
08-20-2005, 10:05 AM
I've been hunting me some Vas troll for awhile...But I have a hard time pulling the trigger...I don't know if he is that bad...or he is jerkin us...

Anyways, I try and find all of the threads he contributes to and read em for the laugh factor...

Vajramusti
08-20-2005, 10:51 AM
Me thinks- that Vasquez is a not so good troll who says outrageous things and enjoys the attention.

Sacoche
08-20-2005, 01:34 PM
It's chinese tradition Man! $50K I had to borrow some.

I hope you are joking, because if you are not you need to be slapped. :confused:

Vasquez
08-21-2005, 12:21 AM
Sacoche

You have alot to learn about chinese culture. I've been to china and if you want to get things done, that's what you need to do.

Dale Dugas
08-21-2005, 07:11 AM
You are funny V. You have no clue when it comes to Chinese culture. None.

Remember the flute incident. In case you forgot. V here said "he is sitting on a hill playing his bamboo flute" after I replied to some of the p o o p he posted.

For those of us in the know, its a slang term for smoking the man pole. Being the total non training cacka head he is, V thought he was being rather cool about it. V, rather than being cool. You pointed out that your indecisions concerning your sexuality seem to be leading you to the other side. Remember you posted it son, and I said this then. What you forget already?

As I said before, V, your entertaining as all hell whoever you are and whereever you live.

Keep it up, as we love reading your inane, short little quibbles of thought. Funny you write the same way you pass water. little dribbles at a time. Maybe you out to check that out with your doctor, or maybe the Wudang Lohan sifu you claim to have.

LOL

Dale

Vasquez
08-23-2005, 03:30 AM
Dale you obviously are not chinese and won't be able to pass off as one. playing the flute is a tradition musical instrument for good martial artist. It calms the soul from all the killing they have done or are about to do. You're lucky i have detetchment happening again here.

Dale Dugas
08-23-2005, 07:10 AM
V,

spelling is a great thing, and yes little things like being able to spell tells many things about people. I am not Chinese and would never pretend to be like yourself.

You seem hell bent on being the troll among trolls. At least you could come up with something other than these fortune cookie responses.

I stand by everthing I have said about you. Your nothing, have nothing, and lie through your teeth. Again you make mention of playing a flute. I told you what that means, and obviously you are a "flute player".

Buddhist Detachment hunh? A typical answer from some tree hugging crunchy hippie.

What of Samsara?

What of the quest for Nirvana?

What of helping all others enter nirvana before yourself?

Clown.

Dale

Vasquez
08-24-2005, 07:24 AM
LOL you're so ignorant. some chics have poles too. never been to south america eh? or thailand for that matter.

Dale Dugas
08-24-2005, 08:29 AM
V,

You a misguided fool who pretends to be what they are not.

I stand by what I posted about you.

Thats all she wrote, as I need not write any more responses to your drivel.

Haven't you figured out that almost everyone has you on their ignore list?

Enjoy your time here. Think deep about all the crap you have posted here that helps noone but your own deflated little ego.

You are and always will be a clown in the MA community.

Dale

Vasquez
08-26-2005, 04:44 AM
So you're spitting the dummy again. A chinese will not do that.

fiercest tiger
08-26-2005, 05:53 PM
You can buy good Dit Dar from my website...

Vasquez
08-30-2005, 03:26 AM
Do you make your own jow?

Sacoche
08-30-2005, 06:29 AM
Sacoche

You have alot to learn about chinese culture. I've been to china and if you want to get things done, that's what you need to do.

Uh, I am Chinese! :(

ntc
08-30-2005, 09:52 AM
And I am Chinese as well.... born and raised in China. And I have to say that you have indicated some very unusual, non-typical China-related experiences.