PDA

View Full Version : Mantis in Hunan ?

TaiChiStorm
07-26-2005, 05:51 AM
Hi KungFu Community,

I am a Taiji Tanglang Quan student from Germany. In about two weeks, I am going to work as a trainee in Changsha (hunan) province.
Is there anybody out there having some information about Tanglang in this area? I know that Tanglang is rather found in north China, but perhaps there's some in Hunan too.
After my work I am going for a trip through south China as well. Any place that are not to be missed?

I am very happy about any information!! THANX !!

Greets
TCS

ninjaboy
07-27-2005, 09:28 PM
well, i don't know about hunan but if you get to zhejiang province, feel free to contact me. i have been living in ningbo (about 3 hours south of shanghai) for almost 2 years. are you more interested in training or checking out local sights and such?

sincerely,
neil

monkeyfoot
08-10-2005, 02:53 PM
Hey

I was recently backpacking through china with my girlfriend and came across changsa after spending time in wulingyuan (near zhangzaijie). I didnt see anything when I was there but I could be wrong. If you get some time before going south then take the bus up to Zhangzaijie city and then an hour ride to the village at the bottom of the wuling national park area. This is the most beautiful area I have seen in China (bar yangshou countryside) and it is really worth seeing....loads of monkeys, craggy sandstone peaks and pine trees.

When your down south head to gullin and take a bus to yangshou. Theres like 2 streets there and everyones on north street. Its a bit crowded but once you rent a bike out for 8 yuan a day and ride off into the countryside then the worlds your oyster. Yangshou is so beautiful ahhhh man you gotta go.

Other than that I have heard that the yunnan province is perticularly beautiful - but theres something about you need insurence to actually ride on the buses....so unless your chinese is good I would research before hand.

buddha bless
craig

TaiChiStorm
08-24-2005, 02:44 AM
Hi Guys
Thanx a lot for the information......sorry about replying so late.....but I as not able to use the internet until now. I arrived in China very well. It's very exciting here.....but I could not find any Tanglang here!!! But I found a very great Taiji Chuan teacher with whom I study every morning !! In my city (Xiangtan) is some kind of misterious Style very popular....It"s called "Wu Jia Quan" some family style. Havn't seen it yet...
Hey monkeyfoot...........you r trip sounded very interesting !!! I will go to Zhang Jia Jia this week.......And I am also planing to go to Guilin after 3 weeks. I heard that there is also a boat-trip from Guilin to Yangshou..........do you think I should rather go by bus ??? Do you know any cheap and good place to stay in Yangshuo ??
Would be great to hear from you again !!

Greets
Harry

monkeyfoot
08-24-2005, 05:40 AM
Hey nice to hear that you are enjoying it.

When you get to zhangjiajie city just head to the bus station (be good if you have the big lonely planet book china). Either write the symbol for zhangjiajie village of if your chinese is good say where you want to go.

When you get to the village outside the national park area the best place to stay is run by a taiwanese minoriety. Its not hard to miss and will be on the left hand side as you come on the bus. Its a massive beautifully carved wooden building and it looks very traditional....find it!!! Remember left hand side of the road as you are coming through the village!
Also your ticket is vallid for 2 days in the national park.....just up the road from the accomodation is the entrance. The yellow river trail is really beautiful.....just leave nice and early unless you want to be stuck in the mountainous dark like we were.

As for yangshou.....everything is cheap !!!! LOL head for the stone roses bar if you want to chill, they also have the internet in there for free. There are quite a few tourists (unlike wuling) but its well worth it for the countryside riding. Litterally rent a bike from the top of the street (should be about 10 yuan so haggle if its not) and get lost for hours. Maybe hook up if your on your own with someone.
Theres also a quite nice little tai chi spot round one of the back streets. A massive square to practice in with a huge yin yang in the middle. Not sure on the teacher - we only passed by quickly - on the way to train on a nearby field. Guillin is quite cool but make yangshou your priority, theres a big part in guillin with a depressing zoo so we just took to its field and forgot the zoo altogether.

OWWW nearly forgot. Near the entrance to the park is a resturant - the noodles are gourgous there....so good.

be good to hear back form you.
craig

monkeyfoot
08-24-2005, 05:41 AM
Oh as for getting the boat there, its tottally up to you mate. You can end up paying a lot for it, and you will no doubt be hassled to take the trip, but its tottally up to you. We didnt because we were being careful with money as we were travelling for 3 months - we figured we could see beautiful views of the river if we just rented a bike when we were there and went on days out.

heres a photo album of some places, wuling guillin and yangshou included.

http://monkeysteps.bebo.com

zaijian
craig

TaiChiStorm
09-04-2005, 03:49 AM
Hi monkeyfoot,

thank you so much for all the information !! You're very kind !! It was all very helpful for me and I had a wonderful time in ZhangJiaJie !!! The nature was fantastic and I enjoyed beeing outside of the stinky Chinese cities !! :)
Now I am back with lots of muscle soaring in my legs.....good training!! ....

Thanx a lot also for the info about Guilin and Yangshuo. I will finish my work here in Hunan this week and straight head to Guilin. After that I will (of course) go to Wudangshan !! Have you been there? Guess so....or was it Shaolin Si ? :)

OK....hope to hear from you again!! Thanx again for everything!!!

Greets
TCS

monkeyfoot
09-04-2005, 12:39 PM
ah no problem at all mate. Wulings simply beautiful.

I didnt actually get to go to wudangshan. I did go to shaolin si and climbed songshan. We had to head for hongkong after gullin because our visas were running out and we wanted to head over to thailand for some sun....maybe next time we'll see wudang.

good to hear your having fun. Enjoy it!

craig

ps: I know exacccctly what you mean.....aren't the cities just aweful!

truffy64
09-06-2005, 11:46 AM
changsha no tang lang...
shangaï and Hong Kong good...
see "touriste agency"...it's very good in changsha...

truffy64
09-06-2005, 11:47 AM
changsha no tang lang...