PDA

View Full Version : How much TKd in Jeet KUne do

Jason Martell
07-26-2005, 01:36 PM
How much TKD is in jeet kund do? I'm also wondering does sparring have the smae flash in it, that TKD or Mantis Kund Fu has?

SevenStar
07-28-2005, 03:10 PM
I'm sure if you searched enough schools you would eventually find someone who incorporated some TKD into their JKD. It will be rare though.

rogue
07-29-2005, 01:15 PM
Supposedly Bruce Lee picked up some kicking fron Jhoon Rhee.

Jason Martell
07-29-2005, 01:26 PM
In his movies you see some TKD here and there but most of the kicks do not look like TKD, occaisionally you see some TKD foot work here and there, but not that much.

rogue
07-29-2005, 04:50 PM
And a TKD kick looks like what?

Jason Martell
07-29-2005, 05:02 PM
You don't stand with one leg while kicking with the other leg. You should moving towards your opponent or away from them the entire time during the kick.with the exception of a spin hook kick, which is the only one that comes to mind. That's how you hit from a distance.Your opponent is several feet away from you and you can hit them.

M.Viking
08-12-2005, 08:08 PM
And a TKD kick looks like what?

Heavily chambered, knee is very telegraphic, often leg is held out for a second after kick has been delivered. TKD usually uses the "blade" of the foot to strike and toes pulled back.

Does this help you or are you just trolling? :mad:

As for the original question. TKD kicks are known for their power, BL studied these with Jhoon Rhee and Chuck Norris (although he was Tang Soo Do).

He "streamlined" the kicks by using proper body mechanics to develop a more powerful kick.

Jason Martell
08-25-2005, 11:56 PM
thanks that was exactly the explanantion I was looking for. TKD kicks are known for their power.

rogue
08-27-2005, 01:29 PM
Heavily chambered, knee is very telegraphic, often leg is held out for a second after kick has been delivered. If you say so.

Jason Martell
09-01-2005, 10:38 PM
He's very correct.

rogue
09-04-2005, 05:40 PM
If you say so.

Jason Martell
09-05-2005, 03:21 AM
I happen to be a TKD practicioner. Everything he said is true. Our kicks are heavily chambered. And one of the differences between TKD and other styles is that one kick is so powerful that you don't have to hit the person more than once.

Vash
09-05-2005, 05:53 AM
I happen to be a TKD practicioner. Everything he said is true. Our kicks are heavily chambered. And one of the differences between TKD and other styles is that one kick is so powerful that you don't have to hit the person more than once.

O.

M.

F.

G.

Jason Martell
09-05-2005, 02:07 PM
O.

M.

F.

G.

some of you guys need to get over yourselves really. There are a lot of schools and a lot of students who make TKD look bad. I don't deny that. But I gurantee that if one of my insturctors kicked you in the stomach for real, how they would if defending themselves, it would kill you. If they kicked you in the ribs, they would break, the stomach, it would rupture organs, the head, your neck would probably snap. And they can do this from a safe distance out of your reach. If they do that, how are you going to fight back? I'm not saying that TKD is the best style, or even better than Kung Fu. But some of you guys deny it the respect it deserves.

rogue
09-05-2005, 05:47 PM
So you are saying that if I stand there and let you dictate the fight and the range it takes place in that you could kill me? If so maybe you're right.

BTW Jason, I was a ITF TKD student for a good long while.

Vash
09-05-2005, 07:50 PM
Five (wasted) years of ATA.

Two exceptionally well-spent years of TKD (no affiliated organization) / pre-MMA stuff.

No ego - just experience enough to tell between fact and fiction.

Jason Martell
09-06-2005, 12:43 AM
Did the students at your school mainly rely on round kicks, or push kicks? Did you sparr all the time? Most schools produce students who are very good at forms, but not real good at sparring. It's been severely commercialized in the last few decades. When sparring did they stand sideways to their opponent, or chest facing their opponent? They all make a big difference. I'm not saying TKD doenst' have weaknesses, but it has something to offer. That's why I asked the question, as to how much of it was used in Jeet Kune do, and then I found out Bruce Lee used a ton of it, and he is considered to be one of the most revolutionary fighters of all time.

Yes ATA does suck. And most TKD schools in America are ATA and the majority of the other schools in America can somehow be traced back to it. A student studies ATA then opens a school somewhere and ditches the name ATA. It will take a while to break the bad habits picked up at an ATA school as well.

Jason Martell
09-06-2005, 12:49 AM
So you are saying that if I stand there and let you dictate the fight and the range it takes place in that you could kill me? If so maybe you're right.

BTW Jason, I was a ITF TKD student for a good long while.

No I'm not saying that. If a TKD practicioner is forced to begin a fight with the other person right up on them, they will lose. I know that. But the style does have a lot to offer. If your on the street, and somebody is walking across the street towards you and you know they are going to hurt you, wouldn't you like to knock them out before they get with 6 feet of you? That way you don't have to worry about getting stabbed while your busy in close throwing a bunch of punches or trying to take them to the ground?

How good somebody is at TKD will depend greatly on how fast and athletic they are. It's a style for athletic people.

rogue
09-06-2005, 07:35 AM
While I agree that TKD has much to offer it's mostly broken as a self defense system. WTF is not a self defense system but an excellent sport, ITF is better but still has a focus on broken hyung/kata and dojang sparring. I would leave the WTF alone because it's fine for what it is, but the ITF can be easily fixed for effective high percentage self defense but I doubt that it will happen.

If your on the street, and somebody is walking across the street towards you and you know they are going to hurt you, wouldn't you like to knock them out before they get with 6 feet of you? That way you don't have to worry about getting stabbed while your busy in close throwing a bunch of punches or trying to take them to the ground?
While I have no issue with kicking first I find mobility to be the more effective tactic when it comes to self defense. If someone is within 6 feet of me and still moving I have less than a second to act. I have no guarentee that I will knock them out, that I won't be knocked off balance just by their inertia and no guarentee that they won't accidently cut the femoral aterery. If your school is selling you on the defense you described I suggest you look into other schools and forget what they are telling you ASAP.

Jason Martell
09-06-2005, 02:47 PM
Well I wont really disagree with what you said. I know that TKD is horribly incomplete. It has one strength which is very strong, and then a ton of weakness which are severe.
One of my instructors told me about the time, he was in a bar and his friend always wanted to see him in action, so he broke a beer bottle over this guys' head. The guy was a college football player with a whole bunch teammates there with him. After his friend hit the guy with the bottle, my instructor didn't want to see his friend get whipped so he jumped in. He said he took out three people right away, but then he got taken to the ground and they beat him up pretty good.
Personally I wouldn't have jumped in to help the guy after he was so stupid to pick a fight with those guys, for such a stupid reason.

rogue
09-06-2005, 08:59 PM
Jason I don't think TKD is as incomplete as you say, and it has more than one strength. My kicks for a TKD person are kind of bad but I use them all the time during self defense training, I just keep them low and I keep them targeted and they work just fine. I always relied on my hands, always keep my kicks low and chambers short. I learned this from my old school TKD master. So that's why I laugh when people say that TKD does this or TKD does that.

I don't think your instructor lost that one because of lack of skill but just the number of opponents.

Jason Martell
09-06-2005, 09:22 PM
Well of course the number of opponents was one of the major reasons, but I'm assuming that being in a bar had something to do with it as well. Bars tend to be crowded with chairs and pool tables and there isn't much room to maneuver or move around, sometimes it's hard to kick when there is stuff everywhere in the way. I wasn't there so I didn't see it, but I'm just assuming.

I remember this one guy that was in my class who was a 2nd degree BB, and he was real tall and really really fat, and he told us that he took out 8 people, by only going for groins and knees. However nobody believed him. I didn't either. That guy was slow, and all he ever did were crescent kicks. And he didn't even land them, he just used them to push your kicks out of the way, which was against the rules, but he did it anyways. Nobody admitted they didn't believe him, but you could tell everybody was thinking yeah right.

rfbrown3
10-02-2005, 08:39 AM
Yes ATA does suck. And most TKD schools in America are ATA and the majority of the other schools in America can somehow be traced back to it.
HUH?

The largest affiliation in this country, and for that matter in the world, is the WTF.

I too was in the ITF for a couple of years. ITF TKD is unique in that it utilizes what is called the "sine-wave" into all of their techniques.

Have you ever noticed that the way TKD is written out is different with different organizations?
ITF - Taekwon-Do
WTF and ATA - Taekwondo
Independent and generic- Tae Kwon Do

Even the Korean name for forms (or patterns as we called them in the ITF) are different.
ITF- Tuls
WTF- Poomses
Independent and generic - hyungs

RFB