PDA

View Full Version : Journey of a thousand miles...

herb ox
07-26-2005, 09:33 PM
... begins with a single step. - Lao Tzu

Brothers and Sisters,

This evening I sit before my trusty screen, a recycled, ancient giant of a monitor... I sip a glass of plum wine as I write this; my pesky-but-loveable cat constantly nudging me and head-butting my hands as I type. I just want to capture this moment in time because my life is taking a major transformation. I was granted an admissions interview at an institute of traditional Chinese medicine. Essentially, I am gambling nearly everything in my life that I hold dear so that I can attend TCM school and learn what I've always yearned for. I've given up my job, the stability of my loving home and girlfriend (and cats), the friends I have made and the students of the small Bak Sil Lum club I've led over the past several years. Although I will do my best to maintain the connections with my northern friends, I am travelling southbound... a humble tiger hungry for knowledge.

So, I thought I'd share this experience with the good folks here on the forum, especially those who already walk the healing path of TCM as well as my martial family who I know check the board now and again (dang! my cat just put her butt flat on my arm! :eek: )

I may fall flat on my face (I hope not :rolleyes: ) but, either way, it should make for a heck of an adventure... stay tuned!

peace

herb ox

Dale Dugas
07-27-2005, 02:22 AM
Herb Ox,

Check you PM box brother.

Dale Dugas

herb ox
07-27-2005, 12:02 PM
Thanks, Dale for the info. If I'm ever visiting the Boston area I'll look you up for sure.

While my friends and loved ones all have been wonderfully supportive, there are always issues inside one's self that cannot be resolved by external sources. Today is a big, nervous day for me. I'm going in for HIV testing at the local clinic. While I am in the 'slim chance' category, it is scary nonetheless. I've spent much time thinking about what it would mean to me to test positive and what it would mean to me to test negative. Overall, I've reached the same conclusion either way. I should live my life, savoring every moment and treasuring every little detail (you know, it's funny, but I got a fortune cookie 2 days ago that said nearly the same thing) whether pos or neg. I should value my sexuality and not abuse it or others. I should seek to live in accordance with cosmic principles and without fear fo the unknown. Overall, the stress of this event (scheduled in 5 hours and counting...) has pushed me into a new realm of understanding. So, that's why this day is so pivotal in the development of my burgeoning career in TCM. I'll be glad when the test is complete and the results are in.

Wish me luck...

herb ox

Dale Dugas
07-27-2005, 01:56 PM
Luck with the test!

Dale Dugas

vikinggoddess
07-27-2005, 03:38 PM
very good
follow you dream

herb ox
07-27-2005, 05:54 PM
clean bill o' health!

now if only I could get out of that proctology exam...

:p

Oh yeah! Got a firm interview set for 11am on friday... I'll have to leave at the crack o' dawn to make it in time. Gosh, I hope my slacks don't get too wrinkled from sitting for so many hours in traffic...

here's to health!

rock ox

herb ox
08-02-2005, 09:13 AM
So the interview went well, the school and clinic are awesome, and the people are nice. Oh, and did I mention the beach is like 100 paces from the school?

My applications materials are complete and under review... now begins the torturous wait for that official letter of acceptance.... or denial. Oh well, if it's the slim envelope with just a single, photocopied letter, I'll just have to kneel on some broken glass outside the admissions office til they let me in! :D

sleepless in santa rosa,

herb ox

Dale Dugas
08-02-2005, 10:23 AM
I have lit some joss for you.

You're in brother!

Dale

herb ox
08-09-2005, 04:15 PM
After a very long weekend at Reggae on the River, the premiere Northern California reggae festival, I returned home to find two envelopes from the school I applied to. The first was kinda thin, only one page inside - that one worried me, since usually rejection letters are of the single page type. The other had some heft to it, though, so I still had hope.

I eagerly tore apart the lighter of the 2 envelopes. Inside was a health verification form to be signed by my physician... it was sorta like how they announce the runner up for beauty pagents - you know who's gonna win after the runner-up.

With sweaty palms I opened the second envelope. Inside held the words I longed to hear for so long... "Congratulations! You have been accepted..."

Needless to say, much dancing in circles with my arms in the air ensued. I'm in. Now the real challenge begins!

Hmmm... could it have been the stellar letters of recommendation or was it the Joss that Brother Dale Dugas lit for me????

The saga continues...

peace
herb ox

Dale Dugas
08-11-2005, 06:26 PM
Congrats my brother. You will do great things. First you will have to eat bitter and empty your cup and then fill it again and again and again...

I look forward to hearing more as the saga unfolds.

Omeideitou!

Dale

TaiChiBob
08-12-2005, 05:42 AM
Greetings..

Congratulations!! Those willing to accept responsibility for their lives also recieve the power to create their own existence.. may your creation match your dreams..

Be well, and enjoy the journey..

herb ox
08-27-2005, 04:01 PM
Well, I just finished my first week at TCM school. It's been an incredible ride these past few weeks. Between working my last days at my job and driving 3-5 hours each way (depending on traffic) on the weekends, I haven't had much time to check into the board. It feels like I've been running a 3 week marathon.

My living situation is a bit strained at the time since the room I was set to move into will not be ready for another week, so I've been sleeping on the sofa/futon in the livingroom and my gargantuan computer setup is hogging the dining room table. It's a bit stressful, but the lady who is renting me the room has been incredibly gracious as well... so the sacrifice is not so bad... so far.

My classmates all seem really cool, and we all come from far around the country and have diverse academic and experiential backgrounds. The environment is fantastic, and the beach is incredible. Oh, and the instructors are really great, too. After the adrenaline finally began to wear off, though, I started to realize just how much work I must have ahead of me... I don't think the casual knowledge I have of TCM will last much longer than the first semester (if even that long!).

The moving phase of this journey hasn't ended yet, though, and I anticipate an exhausting 2 more weeks as I complete my move and relocate my life. We're still in free-fall.

peace out
herb ox

Pilgrim
09-06-2005, 10:42 PM
Good luck in your studies. The whole acupuncture thing has blossomed, I have a buddy who trained with Dr. So at the New England School when the cost was less then 3 grand. So in 30 years most tuition at TCM schools, or the Worsley people, has gone up 35 ,40 grand. Of course you are learning A LOT more now and school is 3 to 4 years instead of one year. And then there'e the doctorate program. Pay attention in you last year when you get the business stuff because a thriving practice is based on location,location,location, marketing, marketing,marketing,business acumen and knowledge of TCM or whatever style, Japanese, meridian, Dr.Tan, Master Tung, you learn or gravitate towards.
Once you get out of school, then the first step begins.
Pilgrim