PDA

View Full Version : The sounds of Saturn

IronFist
07-27-2005, 04:27 PM
http://www.rednova.com/news/space/185406/cassini_reveals_saturns_eeriesounding_radio_emissi ons/index.html

Cassini Reveals Saturn's Eerie-Sounding Radio Emissions

JPL -- Saturn's radio emissions could be mistaken for a Halloween sound track.

That's how two researchers describe their recent findings, published in the July 23 issue of the Geophysical Research Letters. Their paper is based on data from the Cassini spacecraft radio and plasma wave science instrument. The study investigates sounds that are not just eerie, but also descriptive of a phenomenon similar to Earth's northern lights.

"All of the structures we observe in Saturn's radio spectrum are giving us clues about what might be going on in the source of the radio emissions above Saturn's auroras," said Dr. Bill Kurth, deputy principal investigator for the instrument. He is with the University of Iowa, Iowa City. Kurth made the discovery along with Principal Investigator Don Gurnett, a professor at the University. "We believe that the changing frequencies are related to tiny radio sources moving up and down along Saturn's magnetic field lines."

The radio emissions, called Saturn kilometric radiation, are generated along with Saturn's auroras, or northern and southern lights. Because the Cassini instrument has higher resolution compared to a similar instrument on NASA's Voyager spacecraft, it has provided more detailed information on the spectrum and the variability of radio emissions. The high-resolution measurements allow scientists to convert the radio waves into audio recordings by shifting the frequencies down into the audio frequency range.

Full story in link.

Direct link to sound files.

http://www.nasa.gov/123163main_cas-skr1-112203.wav
http://www.nasa.gov/123160main_cas-skr2-072504.wav

The second one is eerily repetitive :eek:

_William_
07-27-2005, 09:12 PM
Hmmm... sends chills up my spine.

Shaolinlueb
07-27-2005, 10:09 PM
reminds me of that movie "Lifeforce" for some reason.

kungfu cowboy
07-27-2005, 11:19 PM
Ooh, that movie had a great vampire chick: Mathilda May.

mickey
07-28-2005, 12:27 AM
IronFist,

Thank you for the share.

I have long believed that the move to satellite radio is a move to keep us from receiving cosmic transmissions. It is still going to happen. Tesla must be laughing.

mickey

Neophyte
07-28-2005, 02:07 AM
They're coming, they're coming, little green men with pointy ears....RUN FOR YOUR LIVES...... :D

CaptinPickAxe
07-28-2005, 02:24 AM
IronFist...you just earned the spot of the coolest mufuka on KFO. I'm gonna use these in my music.

Cheers!

Kristoffer
07-28-2005, 03:35 AM
They're coming, they're coming, little green men with pointy ears....RUN FOR YOUR LIVES......

THE MANTIS PRACTITIONERS!! :eek:

David Jamieson
07-28-2005, 07:34 AM
They're coming, they're coming, little green men with pointy ears....RUN FOR YOUR LIVES...... :D

They're here. Have been for a while. Don't you read the enquirer? :p

IronFist
07-28-2005, 04:54 PM
"Lifeforce" was an awesome NES game.

Represent.

IronFist
07-28-2005, 04:55 PM
IronFist...you just earned the spot of the coolest mufuka on KFO. I'm gonna use these in my music.

Cheers!

Wow, now that's a compliment! :D