PDA

View Full Version : Poekolan Tjmindie

Radplaiddude
07-27-2005, 11:37 PM
riddle me this.
When i was younger i was in a school that taught this system. After the initial 9 mos self defense pkg we went into waht they called 4 th phase. I swear to you they didnt teach anything. They did this thing called the mouda. where you moved around fighting a imaginary opponet. I Made up all the moves i was doing , so did the other folks. If there is a tjmindie practitioner out there please set me staoght.

Neophyte
07-28-2005, 02:16 AM
Just Googled it and came up with this http://www.poekoelan.com/

Its an Indonesian art combining movements from monkey, tiger, crane and snake.

Cheers

Oso
07-28-2005, 06:21 AM
there's a lot of drama and wierdness associated with that art.

not saying it isn't a good art but some of the people I have run across who trained it were a bit less than straight up.

Radhnoti
07-28-2005, 07:59 AM
Reading this triggered a memory of a passage from a book called "Mastering Kempo", by William Durbin (soke).

Under the category "kata" he had this passage:

"The most ancient form is freestyle, which has no set pattern to the movements. Forms of freestyle Kata were always methods of combat training that quickly prepared people for the realism of fighting. Freestyle Kata has roots as far back as China, and it was used in both Japan and Okinawa during the warring eras."

I've also read of other arts that feel freestyle movement...with proper form that SHOULD be ingrained by previous patterned training...is an advanced form of training.

FuXnDajenariht
07-28-2005, 12:39 PM
they made you shadow box. whats the problem?

MonkeySlap Too
07-28-2005, 05:59 PM
You are referring to the system taught by the late Willy Wetzel, a Dutch Indo, who I am told, taught a smattering of Bandung Silat with some Karate mixed in. His 'basic self-defense training is right out of a Bruce Tegner book (again, I've been told), and he unfortunately spelled "Kun Tao" "Cun Tao", which seems much more dangerous to me.

Interestingly enough, Willy was killed apparently in self-defense by his own son Roy.

This particular Dutch-Indo lineage has more infighting and crazy stories than the family my lineage comes from. I'm not sure all the fighting is worth it.

The teachers I've met in this system were not very impressive, but I may have met some duds. Not everyone who represents a system really does, so there may be something decent out there, I don't know.

Oso
07-28-2005, 07:06 PM
:eek:

i wasn't going to go there

i was taught some stuff that was supposed to be from Mr. Wetzel.....

I'd not heard the Tegner connection before though.

Radplaiddude
07-29-2005, 12:51 AM
The problem is when your 15 knowone is telling you whats going on. I swear we where just making up some goofy **** to fill the time. Never saw a period of instruction. Ended up going down the road.

FuXnDajenariht
07-29-2005, 02:56 AM
oh. **** dude. well i guess the bright side is you learned they were full of it after only a year instead of 20. lol did you atleast get some kewl moves to impress chicks with? :D

thats gotta be worth atleast some of the tuition... :D

Vasquez
07-29-2005, 02:57 AM
riddle me this.
When i was younger i was in a school that taught this system. After the initial 9 mos self defense pkg we went into waht they called 4 th phase. I swear to you they didnt teach anything. They did this thing called the mouda. where you moved around fighting a imaginary opponet. I Made up all the moves i was doing , so did the other folks. If there is a tjmindie practitioner out there please set me staoght.

making up[ your own kung fu sounds awesome. some of the best style were created that way.

Dale Dugas
07-29-2005, 03:33 AM
Yeah V, like the one you pretend to learn.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

In Boston,

Dale

Vasquez
07-29-2005, 06:40 PM
Yeah V, like the one you pretend to learn.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

In Boston,

Dale

WAT EVERRRRRRRRR

Dale Dugas
07-29-2005, 07:37 PM
V, I have called you out here many times.

Come child and match wits with me.

Or do you tremble as you know that your age will give you away.

I think your mom is calling. Better go see what she wants.

In Boston,

Dale Dugas

P.S. step up or step off son, its that simple.

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-29-2005, 11:02 PM
i've done pukulan and it seemed fine to me.

mix of wing chun and mui thai if that makes any sense. very close range on the balls of your feet style with a lot of fast hand elbow knee combos.

my old sifu trained under john something in PA and willy when he could. there was another discussion about willy years ago where the fact he was killed by his son was brought to light and it suddenly made sense to me why my sifu didnt like to talk about willy.

on top of being a redneck bar scrapping working man who could put the hurtin on someone without training, my sifu was also proficient at wudan and decent with boxing, judo, and a bit of muitai. so maybe he just took what he learned and ran with it, but i have no complaints about what we worked on.