PDA

View Full Version : I want to start fighting - how does this sound for a start?

stubbs
07-29-2005, 03:28 PM
MMA is becoming more popular in the UK. I saw a couple of fights at SENI (big MA event over here) and I'd like to have a dabble - just for fun at the moment. I'm 20, been training about 5 years but not MMA (sport) specific. There's an event called the Combat Sport Open Trials over here which is for amateurs and I think this would suit me. Here are the rules:

http://www.mlsports.co.uk/BAMMA/BAMMA%20Amateur%20Rules.htm

What do you think? OK, there's a lot of rules but it'll be good for me to get a feel for competition fighting I think.

Seem's relatively easy to enter too:

http://www.mlsports.co.uk/Comp%20Info/How%20to%20enter%20open%20Trials.htm

If I was to do this, I think I'd enter at the next SENI event in April 06. Should I go for it even if I haven't had any experience or mentoring with this kind of thing? There's aren't any MMA clubs around me so I'll just carry on training in class and try and fit in some specific training on my own for this kind of event. There aren't any jiu jitsu clubs near me - we brush on grappling from time to time in class but not enough to prepare me for a competition. What sort of training can I do on my own to help with my grappling? Fortunately grappling feels quite natural to me but then I've never rolled with anyone thats exceptionally good at it. I know a couple of Brazilian guys that teach Jiu Jitsu but they're about 4 hours away from me - I might see if I can get a weeks intensive with them sometime.

Any advice?
________
Cheap crosman airsoft air magazine powered (http://airsoft-shop.info/p/crosman-airsoft-air-magazine-powered/)

Golden Arms
07-29-2005, 03:40 PM
A HUGE part of sport fighting is the conditioning. Since I dont know answers to your other questions, I can only say this:

Get on a heavy bag, and work up to doing at least 6, 3 minute rounds, full bore all out, if you can work up to more, do it. Take at most a 1 minute break between rounds

Run, and jump rope in increments that are similar to the length of the rounds you will be fighting

Do a sh!tload of body toughening and neck drills so you can take a hit..examples would be situps, leg lifts, v ups, 2 person hitting drills, bridges, medicine ball work, etc.

Hope that helps.

David Jamieson
07-29-2005, 04:02 PM
train like an athlete and train to the venue you are entering.

stubbs
07-30-2005, 02:52 AM
Have you also considered Sanshou as well as MMA? What attract you into MMA more than Sanshou? I believe the difference is only the ground fight.

There is Sanshou about but the events seem pretty dead. I know there are a couple of other guys from the UK that do Sanshou but from what I've heard, the events can be quite political and biased when it comes to point sparring.

This event doesn't do points. It's just one 4 minute round and you win by submission (they don't allow head strikes for the beginners so KO is unlikely but could happen) or disqualification. If no one submits then its a draw. I quite like that.

I'll gradually build up my fitness over the next few months and I think I'll really focus more about 3 months before the event. Does that sound about right?
________
UPSKIRT SEX (http://www.****tube.com/categories/42/upskirt/videos/1)

Oso
07-30-2005, 06:34 AM
what david said....and if grappling is part of the venue then you NEED to get some training from someone on that range.

not saying you might not beat someone else who can clinch, shoot and submit on the ground but if you don't even know how they do it you can't really defend against it.

and conditioning as also said above.

good luck and have fun

Oso
07-30-2005, 06:39 AM
GA, is dead on with working your cardio in the same time rounds as your matches.

i can't think of the real pro term for it...but exercises that work multiple muscle groups at the same time are great....check out the sand bag work outs at trainforstrength.com....or you could run up and down stairs with a log on your back like the dude from Visionquest :D

Kristoffer
07-30-2005, 07:50 AM
If I was to do this, I think I'd enter at the next SENI event in April 06.

Is this the same type of competition with the same rules as that in your link?
I don't see this in their calender...

stubbs
07-30-2005, 11:53 AM
Is this the same type of competition with the same rules as that in your link?
I don't see this in their calender...

I'm making an assumption that they'll be there. They had a good crowd last time and its the biggest event in the UK so I'm sure they'll be there. If not, I'll enter something close to around that time.

Can't wait!

Oso - is 'compound movements' the term you were looking for?
________
Dodge mirada specifications (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Dodge_Mirada)

Oso
07-30-2005, 12:44 PM
probably :p

Merryprankster
07-30-2005, 02:51 PM
If you cannot find BJJ near you, look for a Judo school, and explain what you are trying to do.

SOMEBODY should be willing to help train you no gi.

stubbs
07-31-2005, 10:05 AM
Good point merry - cheers.

I've just thought of something. I'm short sighted and normally wear contacts when training. Should I fight half blind or wear my contacts? Anyone else have this issue?
________
Vaporizer affiliate program (http://vaporizeraffiliateprogram.com)

SevenStar
08-02-2005, 03:25 PM
lots of good advice so far. Also, if there are any wrestling clubs around, check them out. I'm guessing if anything is near you though, it would be a judo school.

oso is referring to more compound exercises - t pushups, dumbell swings, burpees, etc. - activities that incorporate the total body. keep in mind that fighting is largely anaerobic, so that type of training is where your focus should lie.

run several days per week - but focus on sprinting and interval running. Once per week, take a longer slower paced jog. During the first weeks of your training, focus on increasing your maximum strength. in the closing weeks, explosiveness and muscle endurance. Fortunately, you have plenty of time to train, so preparing shouldn't be too much of a problem. but you MUST get some grappling training in.

fighting with or without contacts is your personal preference. I have fought with them in and kept them in. However, I have also fought with them in and had them both fall out, and also only had one fall out - not fun at all... especially the drive back home. If you do wear them, bring an extra pair or some glasses just in case.

stubbs
08-03-2005, 02:40 AM
RESULT!! Found out there's a submission wrestling club about an hours drive from me. Can't afford to start that up right away but I will as soon as I can.

Do you guys aim for a weight or do you just train at a weight you feel comfortable and enter at that weight? I think I hover around 80kgs which is comfortable for me, so I think I'll try to keep around that or just under to make it for the under 80kgs / middleweight category.

Thanks for all the advice.
________
Maine Dispensaries (http://maine.dispensaries.org/)

Merryprankster
08-03-2005, 05:26 AM
If you have never lost weight for a tournament, don't do anything drastic. I know I can lose 15 lbs if I need to. Not that I want to....

You've got to figure out where you are after training hard for a fight. Some people lose weight a lot just from that.

Usually, if you are between weight classes by about 2 or 3 kg's, you'll lose that just training hard.

So I would shoot for that your first time round, then figure out what to do from there.