PDA

View Full Version : Randy Williams Wing Chun

r4cy
07-31-2005, 09:44 PM
I've noticed that from all the WC instructors that are out there Randy Williams is the one with more tharinig videos of all (Correct me if I'm wrong). However It's really hard to find any info or videoclips of him in acton. have anyone seen him doing WC, Chi Sao, Sparring...? Is he any good?

What about his vids? Are they good?

Sihing73
08-01-2005, 02:50 AM
Hello,

I have not seen any of his videos nor have I met him. However, I introduced WC to a Karate Instructor in Bloomsburg several years ago who now trains with Randy. He speaks very highly of Randys skill and says he is a joy to train with.

I am not even sure if Randy Williams is still in the US as he had taken work outside of the country at one point. I know that some people do not like him and may even feel he has duplicated works of others, most notably, Sifu Augustine Fong.

I have Randys series of books and have found them to be of interest and very detailed. He also gives credit to Sifu George Yau and Sifu Augustine Fong. In his forward he admits to not being of the highest of either Sifus' students, but he does, IMHO, give a good overall representation of the art. As a matter of fact he is one of the few to detail the complete system to include the Plum Blossom poles and Iron Palm as well as cover ground fighting, albeit breifly.

If the videos are anything like his book series then I would say they would be worth getting. Of course, having never seen the videos you can take this opinion with a grain of salt.

Peace,

Dave

stonecrusher69
08-01-2005, 07:03 AM
I have seen a few of theRandy Williams videos many years ago.They are good but in my opinion don"t as detailed as the book.Th ebook is buy far the best he's produced so far.

Fajing
08-01-2005, 08:30 AM
I saw one of his videos on the Mook Jong. It was pretty good. He appears to be a well rounded and knowledgeable fighter(Wing Chun practitioner). If I remember right, in the video he gave props to his Sifu Augustine Fong. Also, he apparently worked as a body guard for Steven Segal at one point. LOL Seems kinda funny if you think about it. :p

Chief Fox
08-01-2005, 08:47 AM
I've got his wooden dummy videos and I think they are excellent. His explanation of techniques is good and so is his demonstration. They also use several different camera angles and speeds too. He also goes into brief application for each technique.

I'd say they're worth the money.

donbdc
08-02-2005, 02:02 PM
Well I think he's pretty good. I train w/ him monthly, at least. I find his videos and books detailed and informitive and if I have any questions he's a phone call away. He does seminars in the states frequently. We will be having one in Frederick MD. hopefully in November, come check him out.
I am sure you'll learn a lot and have fun.
Don Berry

russellsherry
08-02-2005, 05:24 PM
hi r4cy' i host randy's semminaars here in australia, randy"S books and videos are among the best there is i highly recomened randys chi sau and combat drill tapes they are among the best i have seen. peace russell sherry

r4cy
08-02-2005, 06:33 PM
Nice Thanks for the info. For all who know, Randy has combat chi sao tapes for each form. Also he has two videos focusing on combat chi sao only. What would be the best to to apreciate his chi sao? Should I get the chi sao techniques video of the Siu Nim Tao? or the two tapes of the combat chi sao tapes?

stonecrusher69
08-02-2005, 09:15 PM
what does combat chi sao mean? is that some kind of marketing thing..

r4cy
08-02-2005, 10:26 PM
I dunno. Propably it is. That's just how the tapes are called. Combat Chi Sao strategies etc etc. At the end it's just chi sao.I was just making reference for those who know.

donbdc
08-03-2005, 07:11 AM
Combat Chee Sau is the non cooperative chee sau. as opposed to cooperative sticky hand excercises as in single sticky hand. The tapes demonstrate how to attack from the 4 various hand positions and how to respond to attacks. Strategies off the roll. I prefer the combat set to the siu leem tao set.
Don Berry

r4cy
08-03-2005, 01:19 PM
Interesting. I'll check them out.

r4cy
08-08-2005, 05:26 PM
I bought the Siu Nim Tao Chi Sao combat aplications #1 of the Randy Williams series. I have to say that even though it is pleasant to watch good techniques being applied I was really dissapointed in how the video itself was made. It is not an explanation or teaching aid, it's more of a demonstrative video where Randy just kick his students &^es. There are comments on top of the actual audio that are made through out the video. The comments don't help at all . I said to myself they are not even explaining things clearly, when all the sudden Randy Williams says " Actually we are not making any sense here so I expect viewers to pay atention to the technique and simply.....(and then his sidekick says:) Ignore us!

There's when I said.. What? If they admit they are not making any sense why they just don't SHUT UP instead on confusing the viewer with useless comments.

To my opinion this is the type of video made just for lucrative purposes and they don't care what the viewer can get out of it. If this is just a demonstration video made to show the techniques in the Siu nim Tao "concepts" video then they should tell you just that. But they make you feel you are going to get something different, when actually you won't. My advice to all the people here is.. stay away from it.

Sorry if anyone feels bothered by my comments. I just wanted to let people know so they'll save their money.

lawrenceofidaho
08-08-2005, 08:38 PM
It's really hard to find any info or videoclips of him in acton. have anyone seen him doing WC, Chi Sao, Sparring...?
Anyone who hasn't seen Randy in action can check him out on this site:
http://www.crca.it/italiano/galleriafotografica.htm

You can get a pretty good idea of how he trains and moves by looking the animated GIFs in the following sections: chi-sau, "difesa contro calci", and "difesa personale."

-Lawrence

donbdc
08-09-2005, 09:15 AM
Dude,
Didn't I tell you not to get that video! That particular video are techniques done at full speed w/ no explanations, just a watch and learn. If you havent been in the system for years, your not going to be able to follow. If you had of gotten the tape I suggested you may have gained some insights into your Chee Sau training.
Y ou have to be able to follow instructions and be a little open minded to learn.

r4cy
08-10-2005, 07:33 PM
Unfortunately, I bougth the tape be4 I asked anyone here. I did it based on the info given in the tape. Do you know if the techniques applied in the Siu Leem Tao Combat Chi Sao are explained in detail in the Siu Leem Tao concepts video? As you know Randy has the "Concepts" section and the "Combat Chi Sao" section for each form, Siu Nim Tao, Chum Kiu and Bil Gee.Deducting in what I saw, I guess this is the order: you learn the techniques in the concepts section and then you move on in the combat chi sao section to watch the techniques beingf applied. Please correct me if I'm wrong. What should be the order to acquire his vids? got any idea?

donbdc
08-11-2005, 08:36 AM
Just a quick question? How long have you been training? And Secondly where are you, if you are interested I can hook you up w/ one of Randy's reps.
I really like the combat grills 1 & 2. You can grab a partner and play for hours.
Tapes are great tools but getting a couple of seminars in would really pull a lot of it together.
Don

r4cy
08-11-2005, 11:47 AM
I've been training for four years in Wing Chun, not to mention other systems. I live in Puerto Rico , so I don't think Randy has any of his instructors here. I just like to see the aproach and teaching methods of different instructors that's all. I have vids from Augustine Fong, Chung K. Chow, Gary Lam and others.... That's why I'm into instructional videos more than demonstrational vids. It's all about learning the point of view of the forms and techniques of each person.