PDA

View Full Version : I got engaged this weekend!

Judge Pen
08-01-2005, 06:38 AM
Well, I bit the bullet and bought a ring a couple of weeks ago. I'm now officially engaged.

I'm really excited about this. She is definitely the best woman I could hope to ever know much less marry.

yu shan
08-01-2005, 06:52 AM
Wish you and yours good fortunes and happiness.

Just make sure she knows how much time you spend at your martial arts.

I better be invited to the wedding... this is not a shotgun ceremony is it? ;)

TenTigers
08-01-2005, 06:54 AM
Deepest condolences and sympathy on your lifetime sentance, :p

Jesting, of course! Congrats! I wish you a lifetime of happiness!
TT

SPJ
08-01-2005, 07:00 AM
Congrats!

:)

Judge Pen
08-01-2005, 07:03 AM
Well, lately work is eating up my work-out time. I've not been able to do anything more than regular class and some brief walk-through sessions for the last couple of weeks. BUT, she started class also and that part has been made crystal clear at the start of the relationship. She started dating me right after my knee surgery and she knows the hours I put in to healing up and getting stronger after that!

sean_stonehart
08-01-2005, 07:07 AM
Congrats BP!!! Couldn't have happened to a better pair!!

I still better have my room available though. :D :D

Let us know when & where & we'll bring the lions!

MasterKiller
08-01-2005, 07:10 AM
Can we start calling you guys Bennifer?

northernArts
08-01-2005, 07:15 AM
Well, I bit the bullet and bought a ring a couple of weeks ago. I'm now officially engaged.

I'm really excited about this. She is definitely the best woman I could hope to ever know much less marry.

Congratulations. It's hard to find a good woman these days IMO. Best of luck to both of you. :)

hungsingclf
08-01-2005, 07:34 AM
Congrats Ben, don't sell yourself short your a tremendous slouch! Just kidding ;) she is lucky as well. you're a good friend and a good person. You know I'll bring the guys and the lions. give me a shout when you finalize the date.and once again congrats man.

Chief Fox
08-01-2005, 07:49 AM
Congratulations.

Reggie1
08-01-2005, 07:54 AM
SUCKER!!!!

Just kidding, congratulations.

Judge Pen
08-01-2005, 08:15 AM
Bennifer? Nah, her name's not Jennifer.

Thanks for all the congratualations, but it's a bit un-nerving that most of the "ball and chain" type jokes are coming from those already married!

Sean and Chad: no date yet but I'll let you guys know when we settle on something.

Mutant
08-01-2005, 08:36 AM
Congrats Judge, good for you!

BM2
08-01-2005, 08:39 AM
1/2 of marriages end in divoroce, the other half end in death :eek:
Been married 18 years and am so lucky to have my wife and sons :D I do so hope for the best to the two of you.
Your kinda of older and set in your ways so watch out for that :p

Golden Tiger
08-01-2005, 09:20 AM
Bennifer? Nah, her name's not Jennifer.

Thanks for all the congratualations, but it's a bit un-nerving that most of the "ball and chain" type jokes are coming from those already married!

Sean and Chad: no date yet but I'll let you guys know when we settle on something.

Marriage isn't a word....its a sentence......

Good luck all the same....you are gonna need it.

PS. The ball and chain jokes come from us because we know....but then again, we didn't believe it either....till it was too late.

Judge Pen
08-01-2005, 10:33 AM
Well, I'm old enough to know that it's fun being single, but I'm looking forward to settling down. Trust me, she has to be pretty special to make me give up on all the other women out there. . . .

KC Elbows
08-01-2005, 11:09 AM
You're a SD student who posts on internet forums. There are no other women. This is your one chance. Imagine how proud you will be when you return from your honeymoon and get to tell the others in your live action role play group that you "touched real boobies". :D

Really, congrats.

fa_jing
08-01-2005, 11:17 AM
LOL@KC

Marriage is about the good parts of marriage, not the bad parts. There are positives and negatives to every relationship. It's stupid and absurd to focus on the negative.

That said, enjoy the new ball 'n' chain!! :D :D

Judge Pen
08-01-2005, 11:26 AM
You're a SD student who posts on internet forums. There are no other women. This is your one chance. Imagine how proud you will be when you return from your honeymoon and get to tell the others in your live action role play group that you "touched real boobies". :D

Really, congrats.

LOL. Funny. Not true, but funny.

shaolinboxer
08-01-2005, 11:37 AM
My wife is my best friend and wisest sifu.

Welcome to the better life!

sean_stonehart
08-01-2005, 11:53 AM
Actually all this means is there was a collective sigh of relief in K'ville this weekend. Now all of the other single men in K'ville have a chance for any single Asian womens that may be there!!!! :eek: :eek:

SaekSan
08-01-2005, 12:21 PM
Congrats JP.

Best of luck, happiness and prosperity for your life as a couple.

:)

lkfmdc
08-01-2005, 01:17 PM
YEAH YIPPIE HURRAY

(that's cause misery loves company!) ;)

I'm on #2..... much better than #1.... proves that nto all marriages are H E doulbe hocky sticks

Best of luck and congrats.....

KC Elbows
08-01-2005, 02:07 PM
Not true, but funny.

You are wise to distance yourself from even the suggestion of LARPing.

7th gen yang
08-01-2005, 05:34 PM
The Leading cause of divorce in the whole world is

"Marriage" :eek:

I Threw in the towel to Single life 10 years ago
the Ref called a K.O.

Congradulations :)

I wouldn't change anything ! :confused:

BentMonk
08-01-2005, 05:56 PM
Major congratulations my friend! Here's a few words of wisdom that should get you out of nearly any future delima;

1. Yes dear
2. No, it was all my fault
3. No that doesn't make you look fat.
4. Of course you're right dear.
5. Would you like some chocolate?

:D Seriously, I wish you the best.

MonkeySlap Too
08-01-2005, 06:53 PM
Congratulations on your death. Seriously, just figure your dead, and marriage is great!

Nah, like Fa Jing said, focus on the positive, otherwise you'll wish for death.

Well, I actually enjoyed single life, so was in no rush to marry, and I enjoy married life. Death becomes me.

Vash
08-01-2005, 07:08 PM
$5 says she's asian.

$10 says she would have turned me down had Judge Pen and myself been in the same room.

$15 says I love you - chocolate is hella-expensive.

Congrats!

Radhnoti
08-01-2005, 08:15 PM
Big time congratulations amigo!

I just celebrated my 10th wedding anniversary, and I can sincerely say it's been the best 10 years of my life. You're a sharp guy, I'm sure you've chose wisely. Best wishes, here's hoping you both have a long and happy life together.

Oso
08-01-2005, 09:14 PM
****, Reggie1 stole my line...

congratulations, JP. You better not invite any of us to your bachelor pary or you won't make it to the altar......

MonkeySlap Too
08-01-2005, 10:09 PM
I'd suggest Chicago as a central location for the JP/KFO bachelor party.

Good thing you're a lawyer or else we might have some real trouble.

What am I saying? It's Chicago, we can just pay'em off!

Judge Pen
08-02-2005, 08:07 AM
Ok, the JP/KFO Bachelor party will be in Atlanta. I have "connections" down there.

Vash, you win $15! She is asian and she would have turned you down if you had asked her out! :D I wish all I had to do was buy her chocolate, that ring was expensive enough!

Thanks for all the congrats. We are thinking about the end of April for the wedding. And I would prefer this to be a death sentence. I've seen too many divorces in my profession.

Reggie1
08-02-2005, 08:16 AM
Some tips from a guy who is recently married (5 months)--if you are having a wedding ceremony and not eloping:

--The 3 or 4 months before the wedding will SUCK. That's just the way it is. It gets worse as the wedding gets closer.
--It will take everything humanly possible for you NOT to want to get in a big blowout fight sometime the month of the wedding. We managed to avoid a huge fight, but it took a lot of effort.
--The day of the wedding is crazy.
--Do NOT go on your honeymoon the day after the wedding. Wait a day or two. We went the day after and it really sucked.

Judge Pen
08-02-2005, 09:19 AM
Some tips from a guy who is recently married (5 months)--if you are having a wedding ceremony and not eloping:

--The 3 or 4 months before the wedding will SUCK. That's just the way it is. It gets worse as the wedding gets closer.
--It will take everything humanly possible for you NOT to want to get in a big blowout fight sometime the month of the wedding. We managed to avoid a huge fight, but it took a lot of effort.
--The day of the wedding is crazy.
--Do NOT go on your honeymoon the day after the wedding. Wait a day or two. We went the day after and it really sucked.

Good advice. I'm a bit worried about all the stress of a wedding etc. and I'll take this advice to heart.

hskwarrior
08-02-2005, 09:26 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek:
No, NO, No, No No nononononononononononononononononNOOOOOOOO!

Congradulations, make it work. or she'll get half.

sifufrank

MasterKiller
08-02-2005, 09:33 AM
Good advice. I'm a bit worried about all the stress of a wedding etc. and I'll take this advice to heart.

Four words:

Justice O' The Peace. Saved me about 10 G's, and neither one us wanted a "christian" wedding, per se, so it worked out.

Judge Pen
08-02-2005, 09:35 AM
In the words of Rick James: "It's a celebration, *****es!"

Although I may change my mind when the stress kicks in.

KC Elbows
08-02-2005, 11:10 AM
We got married by a minister in a small bed and breakfast. It was very exclusive.

However, since you are a lawyer, money is probably not as much an issue as many starting couples. I personally think that the worst thing to do to many young couples is siphon off money better spent on their future, but you're already old and lawyerly, so it should be okay.

PangQuan
08-02-2005, 11:25 AM
Congrats man!

Im a firm believer in spending less on the ceremony and more on the honey moon.

Unless your HIGHLY religious why spend so much one something that will only last one day. Spend it all on a week long get away in paradise.

Reggie1
08-02-2005, 11:29 AM

I was, too. It's funny--if you would've asked any time the three weeks leading up to the wedding, I would have told you that it's not worth it, and don't do it.

If you would've asked me right after the wedding, I would have said it was totally worth it. Now my opinion is that it was definitely worth it, but I would never do it again.

It is a lot of stress, but in the end I think that's all part of it.

Judge Pen
08-02-2005, 11:55 AM
Well, money is always interesting. I do ok, but probably not as well as most of you think. I'm no where close to six figures or anything and student loans are about 1/3 of my disposable income. I'm not rolling in the dough by any stretch of the imagination.

Neither is either of our families rich, so we're footing the bill 100%. And we've talked about running off on a great getaway and getting married there, but, honestly, family is important to both of us, so we don't want to offend them by leaving them out of the process.

PangQuan
08-02-2005, 12:00 PM
have a nice quaint close wedding with family and then run off to Maui after...

Judge Pen
08-02-2005, 12:02 PM
That's my dream, man. But she has a really large family. I'll let you know how the guest list turns out.

PangQuan
08-02-2005, 12:04 PM
lol

just tell everyone you want air miles and hotel gift certificates

TonyM.
08-02-2005, 12:31 PM
Congratulations!

MasterKiller
08-02-2005, 12:52 PM
That's my dream, man. But she has a really large family. I'll let you know how the guest list turns out.

Hot sisters?

Judge Pen
08-02-2005, 12:58 PM
Hot sisters?

None Mrs. Masterkiller would approve of. ;)

MasterKiller
08-02-2005, 01:00 PM
Is her mom hot?

Judge Pen
08-02-2005, 01:32 PM
Is her mom hot?

Not bad for her age. Almost as pretty as Mrs. Masterkiller.

KC Elbows
08-02-2005, 01:55 PM
MK's mom is hot?

PangQuan
08-02-2005, 02:01 PM
I believe nothing without a pic.

Reggie1
08-02-2005, 02:25 PM
Well, money is always interesting. I do ok, but probably not as well as most of you think. I'm no where close to six figures or anything and student loans are about 1/3 of my disposable income. I'm not rolling in the dough by any stretch of the imagination.

Neither is either of our families rich, so we're footing the bill 100%. And we've talked about running off on a great getaway and getting married there, but, honestly, family is important to both of us, so we don't want to offend them by leaving them out of the process.

You can tell me to shut up at anytime if I'm overdoing it on the advice, but I've just been through a whole ton of wedding stuff (including my own, I've been in 8 weddings in the last year and a half).

To save cash, find a place for the reception where you can buy your own alcohol. That saves a TON. If the place also allows a caterer to come in it makes it cheaper because you can get less expensive food. Those are the two biggest costs.

SevenStar
08-02-2005, 03:11 PM
congrats?

nah, just kidding. It's not all that bad....seriously, it's cool....really...

congrats bud!

PangQuan
08-02-2005, 03:14 PM
bud

-3 street cred

SevenStar
08-02-2005, 03:30 PM
but everybody in the hood says bud... :(

MonkeySlap Too
08-02-2005, 03:52 PM
Some advice:

Think of non-traditional venues - example, my wedding reception was held at a restaraunt on the beach. Much cheaper than any kind of hall, and the shaky looking building was forgotten because the food was great, and so was the view.

Go get Wedding planning books for men. Learn your roll.

Have no preferences, except those that save money. (maintain this state of mind until you wish to die. Once you stop, your wife will help you die.)

Your wedding is a lot like being an actor on a set. Learn your roll, perform it well, don't deviate from the script, and it will all be good.

Make sure your best man isn't a pansy when it comes to getting things done.

If you have any friends prone to practical jokes, send them to another location. (Or find them hogtied in your room like a buddy of mine did, after I discovered them heading out of the reception and into the hotel with bags of shaving cream)

Finally, Why do husbands die younger than wives?

Because they want to.

PangQuan
08-02-2005, 04:21 PM
but everybody

-2 more street cred

SevenStar
08-03-2005, 07:37 AM
*seven whoops PangQuan's punk ass*

+5 street cred

GunnedDownAtrocity
08-03-2005, 11:01 AM
start planning your souls funeral now.

Judge Pen
08-03-2005, 05:42 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys.

MS2: I'm a lawyer.... I am a good actor.