PDA

View Full Version : Chinese language buffs

hskwarrior
08-01-2005, 07:29 AM
Hey,

I need the help of some Chinese language buffs.

Here is a name that i believe is in Mandarin, and i was hoping to get your opinions on the possibilities.

the name is "XING YIN".

COuld this name also be in Cantonese, Qing Ng?

come on now, i need your help.

frank

DRleungjan
08-01-2005, 08:07 AM
Hi hskwarrior,

It depends what chinese characters go with the romanization that you have stated above. So I hope this helps for a start.

http://www.mandarintools.com/chardict.html

:)

Eddie
08-01-2005, 09:04 AM
a name could also just be a name.
xing yin is the name of my friends' 5 year old daughter. Actually, common name, I know of others too.

GeneChing
08-03-2005, 12:26 PM
Cantonese romanization is sketchy at best, but it should not have a "q". The "q" as the "ch" sound is strictly pinyin, which is only used for Mandarin. Some one is handing you some rather poor romanizations there, hskwarrior. It's par for the course tho, when it comes to Cantonese and you have my sympathies. The dominent romanization system for Cantonese is Yale, and no one in the martial arts field uses it. For example, using proper Yale romanization, we would write Choy Leih Faht, Wihng Chuen and Huhng Ga. You got to get the Chinese characters - romanized Cantonese is next to useless.

hasayfu
08-17-2005, 04:31 PM
Can't help much but are you sure about the cantonese?

There is only one word I can think of that has a manderin sound Xing and Cantonese sound Ching (餳) which means molassas. I can't think of a word that would be Yin in Mandarin and Ng in Cantonese. I actually did the reverse. Most Manderin pronounciation of Ng is Wu like in the number 5.

both Xing and Yin have a LOT of possibilities. Is there any context to the name? We'll need more to go on.

Gene, You probably know this but there is an effort to use Pinyin to romanize Cantonese. http://www.factbites.com/topics/Cantonese-Pinyin It's not very popular yet but since I've learned PinYin for Manderin, I hope it catches on. The biggest problem I have with yale is it's got too many letters.

hskwarrior
08-17-2005, 04:40 PM
actually in my research of the green grass monk i have come across a few names and one of them was Xing Yin. i thought it might be Ng Ging which is another name of the Green Grass Monk. but i may be wrong.

frank

Mulong
08-18-2005, 02:44 PM
Gene, how soon you forget... Some of us do you use the Yale system...

Mulong
08-18-2005, 03:01 PM
Xing (Pinyin)
1. Punishment (yihng)
2. Mold/model (yihng)
3. Family Name (sing)
4. Luck (hahng)
5. Shape (yihng)
6. Nature (sing)
7. Star (sing)
8. Apricot (hahng)
9. Visit (sing)
10. Fishy smell (sing)
11. Thriving/Happy (hing)
12. Walking/Behavior (hahng)
13. Waking-up (sing)

Yin (Pinyin)
1. Printing (yan)
2. Moaning (yahm)
3. Because (yan)
4. Marriage (yan)
5. Pulling (yahn)
6. Sorrowful (yan)
7. Abundant (yan)
8. Obscene (yahm)
9. Habit (yahn)
10. Shade (yam)
11. Silver (ngahn)
12. Feminine (yam)
13. Hiding (yan)
14. Sound (yan)
15. Drinking (yam)

This is quick sample, however, I need to see the character/ideogram to make certain…

hskwarrior
08-18-2005, 03:07 PM
thanks man, that helps alot.

way much easier.

thanks

hsk