PDA

View Full Version : Is Apoweyn still around?

KC Elbows
08-02-2005, 05:44 PM
I had been gone for a while, and I just realized I hadn't seen him here since I was back. I know he had detached retinae or something last I saw him around here, but I was wondering if anyone knew how he was doing.

Pork Chop
08-02-2005, 06:55 PM
someone said that he's on another board but i never went there.

ShaolinTiger00
08-02-2005, 07:46 PM
The last time I saw AP (May), we were in another country pushing a '05 mustang convertable out of a ditch and then later we drank waaaay too much and called Merryprankster all sorts of awful things.

goodtimes.. drunken goodtimes..

rogue
08-02-2005, 09:06 PM
Send him my regards if you talk with him. He's one of the goodones.

Oso
08-03-2005, 09:12 AM
Ap officially took a step away from KFM a while ago...new baby and such.

I did just try to email him and it bounced back to me as a closed email. So if anyone is in touch with him please have him drop me a line. thanks.

FatherDog
08-03-2005, 10:46 AM
http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36050

HearWa
08-03-2005, 01:07 PM
I'm pretty sure I've seen that alias at martialartsplanet.com, you may want to check there.

AndyM
08-03-2005, 05:51 PM
I'm still in contact with Ap Oweyn.
Drop me a PM if you have a genuine need.

ap_Oweyn
08-08-2005, 07:53 AM
Hey gang,

Sorry for the delay in responding. Andy, RHD, and MP mentioned this thread to me a few days ago. But I had to create a new account as my old one was tied to an email address that I lost when I resigned from my job recently.

First of all, thanks for thinking of me. Means a lot.

As Oso mentioned, I have a 6-mo. old daughter now. And I'm a stay-at-home dad during the day. Graduate student (counseling) by night. And I'm training with a Modern Arnis group in Northern Virginia on Saturday mornings.

Sorry Oso. I'd meant to drop you my new email before now. But they closed my old one down a lot quicker than I'd expected. And I lost a lot of emails. I'm at apoweynATgmail.com now.

KC, Rogue, Bmore, Fatherdog, good to see all you guys again!

Stuart

p.s. Spent the whole bloody weekend trying to work out what happened to that Mustang. (And, of course, mocking the guy that put it in the ditch in the first place, eh ST?) ;)

Oso
08-08-2005, 08:02 AM
Ap, I'll send you an email from home later tonight.

good to hear from you.

ap_Oweyn
08-08-2005, 08:24 AM
You too mate. You too. :)

FatherDog
08-08-2005, 08:36 AM
Good to see you too, ap. How'd those BJJ lessons end up going? And how's the fencing?

ap_Oweyn
08-08-2005, 09:07 AM
Good to see you too, ap. How'd those BJJ lessons end up going? And how's the fencing?

I haven't done either one since starting graduate school three semesters ago. They were both conducted in the evenings. Same time as my classes. The BJJ cost a fair amount of cash too. And we don't have much of a disposable income since I resigned from my job.

And since I'm paying all these fees at GW anyway, I thought I'd take advantage of an on-campus club. Just so happened the Philippines Cultural Society had an arnis class set up. So that's what I've been doing. It's Modern Arnis technically (whereas I came from Doce Pares and Inosanto Kali). But really, it's apples and other very similar apples. :)

Stuart

rogue
08-08-2005, 09:30 AM
ap, That picture of you and your daughter was nice to see. Cherish every moment with her because they somehow grow up quicker than we notice.

Hope you're doing well. :)

PS Want to share war stories about diaper malfuntions and the dreaded middle of the night feedings? Oh the memories! :D

ap_Oweyn
08-08-2005, 09:50 AM
ap, That picture of you and your daughter was nice to see. Cherish every moment with her because they somehow grow up quicker than we notice.

Will do. She's a real treat. Makes it easy on ol' Dad. :)

Hope you're doing well. :)

I am indeed. I was down your way recently. Hoping to get down there again soon. When I can get away from the familia for a little while, we'll have to get together, yeah?

PS Want to share war stories about diaper malfuntions and the dreaded middle of the night feedings? Oh the memories! :D

Middle of the night feedings: Check.

4AM. We get up to feed the baby. My wife goes downstairs to comfort her while I heat the bottle. I can hear over the monitor that the baby's going bonkers. The bottle warmer runs its full cycle and the bottle's still cold. So I get the bright idea to use the microwave. (Yeah, I know. I know.) A minute seems like a reasonable timeframe. So I microwave it, take it out, and test it on my wrist.

A minute is NOT a reasonable heating time for a bottle. I ended up tattooing myself with molten hot baby formula AND getting told off by my wife who had lost patience with me and came stalking upstairs with the screaming baby.

Half an hour later, when the baby was asleep again and we were back in bed, my wife says "one minute is too long to microwave formula."

I glowered at my wrist, grumbled something like "thanks very much" (but with more f-words peppered through it), and tried to go back to sleep.

:)

Stuart

rogue
08-08-2005, 10:03 AM
During those 3AM feedings I used to lose count of how many scoops of formula that I put into the bottle. I never cursed much until I became a new father. :D My wife decided having me take care of the baby was more trouble than it was worth so she took over most of the middle of the night chores while I took the 5PM - 12AM slot.

ap, I'll PM my contact info to you.

Oso
08-08-2005, 12:14 PM
Ap, what's that groups connection back to Precas?

I have one student who's really interested in the arnis so I've been working some of the kinks out lately.

ap_Oweyn
08-08-2005, 07:24 PM
During those 3AM feedings I used to lose count of how many scoops of formula that I put into the bottle. I never cursed much until I became a new father. :D My wife decided having me take care of the baby was more trouble than it was worth so she took over most of the middle of the night chores while I took the 5PM - 12AM slot.

ap, I'll PM my contact info to you.

Clearly, I just need to bugger some of these things up worse so I can stop getting up in the middle of the night too.

Of course, since I'm the "primary caretaker," that wouldn't really instill confidence in our daughter's future.

Stuart

ap_Oweyn
08-08-2005, 07:28 PM
Ap, what's that groups connection back to Precas?

That's a really good question. I haven't actually asked. Guro mentions Presas frequently. But I don't know his lineage. I do know that his teacher is in the Philippines. Not here. I'm also getting the vague impression that there's a difference in Modern Arnis instruction there and here. But I'll have to ask for any more detail than that.

I have one student who's really interested in the arnis so I've been working some of the kinks out lately.

Oh yeah? Excellent. You thinking you'll teach him (or her) some of it at the kwoon?

Stuart

KC Elbows
08-08-2005, 07:44 PM
Good to see you around Apoweyn. Congrats on the lack of sleep... I mean, child. :D

I'm in the same boat as far as going back to school. Although, I've opted for starting to teach a class and working on a side business to replace the exhaustion of infant care, but infants are way more tiring.

Oso
08-08-2005, 07:46 PM
when Precas died it seemed like all his brothers, and a sister or two, came out of the woodwork.

So, I wondered.

IMO, and I really didn't get that deep into the politics of Modern Arnis, the Modern Arnis I was taught both by my teacher and at 3 seminars and 5 or 6 class visits by Precas is a combination of the family style GM Precas brought with him and a great deal of influence from Dillman's Karate and Prof. Wally Jay's Small Circle Jujitsu.

Just saying. ;)

I've already taught him 50% of what I know curriculum wise and we just started banging on each other a week or two ago.

btw dude...you realize you just fell into the tiger trap don't you ????? :D

I mean, tons of time while the kid is sleeping and such during the day....PLENNNNTY of time to see what's happening at the forum.... ;) ;)

:D

Pork Chop
08-08-2005, 08:56 PM
glad to see yah ap, miss the old talks, i'll try to stay in better touch.
congrats on the baby if i never said it before and tough break on the job.
arnis sounds like it's goin good.
there are a few SE asian stick and knife guys at bxf in millersville; keep getting reminded of yah each time i see 'em.
see yah round

ap_Oweyn
08-09-2005, 07:05 AM
Good to see you around Apoweyn. Congrats on the lack of sleep... I mean, child. :D

Thanks! (You're right on both counts.) :)

I'm in the same boat as far as going back to school. Although, I've opted for starting to teach a class and working on a side business to replace the exhaustion of infant care, but infants are way more tiring.

Too right! Though next semester, I'll be spending two days a week (and later three) doing career counseling on the campus of George Mason University. So that'll get me outta the house a bit anyway.

What kind of class are you teaching?

Stuart

ap_Oweyn
08-09-2005, 07:16 AM
when Precas died it seemed like all his brothers, and a sister or two, came out of the woodwork.

So, I wondered.

Funny how that works isn't it. I'm pretty sure Guro Picardo's teacher isn't one of the Presas family. But I'm curious now.

IMO, and I really didn't get that deep into the politics of Modern Arnis, the Modern Arnis I was taught both by my teacher and at 3 seminars and 5 or 6 class visits by Precas is a combination of the family style GM Precas brought with him and a great deal of influence from Dillman's Karate and Prof. Wally Jay's Small Circle Jujitsu.

Just saying. ;)

I've heard great things about Wally Jay's jiujutsu. I bet that's a great combination. Dillman's a bit more controversial I guess.

I have noticed the definite karate influence in Modern Arnis (where I prefer the boxing/muay thai influence that tends to run through Inosanto Kali). Especially after we learned my first anyo (form). Of course, I'm not looking to rank in Modern Arnis, so the anyo went in one ear and out the other.

I've already taught him 50% of what I know curriculum wise and we just started banging on each other a week or two ago.

The fun part. ;)

btw dude...you realize you just fell into the tiger trap don't you ????? :D

I mean, tons of time while the kid is sleeping and such during the day....PLENNNNTY of time to see what's happening at the forum.... ;) ;)

Honestly, the baby keeps me busier than work did most of the time. But yeah, I still find plenty of time to hang on the forums. (Yeah, yeah. "Fora." But seriously, who says "fora"?!)

Stuart

ap_Oweyn
08-09-2005, 07:20 AM
glad to see yah ap, miss the old talks, i'll try to stay in better touch.

Yeah mate. Feel free to email me at the address listed on page 1. Be good to chat again.

congrats on the baby if i never said it before and tough break on the job.

Meh. It was well past time to get out of that job. I was bored. Really bored. I miss my coworkers. But I was exhausted every day. And hadn't really done anything. It's a good change.

arnis sounds like it's goin good.

Yeah. I'm trying to encourage some more "hands on" approaches. More sparring. More contact drills. Gearing up in pads and actually making more contact. Etc. But that's my personal little crusade.

there are a few SE asian stick and knife guys at bxf in millersville; keep getting reminded of yah each time i see 'em.
see yah round

Oh yeah? What's bxf? You know I used to live in Millersville.

Stuart

Merryprankster
08-09-2005, 07:54 AM
Ap's got a cute kid.

And it was great having him at my wedding. How else were we going to get the hot, drunk makeup artist back to her hotel room? Or help out the photographer who ditched his mustang? Who else could I put in the same house with a jewish lesbian, a hot hairdresser and the aforementioned makeup artist?

ap_Oweyn
08-09-2005, 08:16 AM
Ap's got a cute kid.

And it was great having him at my wedding. How else were we going to get the hot, drunk makeup artist back to her hotel room? Or help out the photographer who ditched his mustang? Who else could I put in the same house with a jewish lesbian, a hot hairdresser and the aforementioned makeup artist?

It's a tough job. But someone had to do it. :)

Merryprankster
08-09-2005, 08:20 AM
Lucky ******* :D

Oso
08-09-2005, 09:47 AM
Funny how that works isn't it. I'm pretty sure Guro Picardo's teacher isn't one of the Presas family. But I'm curious now.

I've heard great things about Wally Jay's jiujutsu. I bet that's a great combination. Dillman's a bit more controversial I guess.

I was taught several joint lock flow drills that are great and I teach them still today. It was all small joint manipulation leading to larger joint locks. Good stuff but I don't really see it being Phillipine in origin.

I was never taught anything like the knockout stuff Dillman does but the footwork and such for the anyo's was certainly karate like.

I have noticed the definite karate influence in Modern Arnis (where I prefer the boxing/muay thai influence that tends to run through Inosanto Kali). Especially after we learned my first anyo (form). Of course, I'm not looking to rank in Modern Arnis, so the anyo went in one ear and out the other.

Yea, I knew apat, dalawa and isa(?3?)...I'd started on the fourth but stopped trying to rank at that time. not bad as forms go but I never felt like the footwork jived with the stickwork as well as it could. But, Precas created a commercial system...it WAS easy to learn and the numbering system kept everything organized.

The fun part. ;)

indeed, my guy needs to work on his pain tolerance a bit ;) but isn't doing to bad...he's also about a foot shorter than me but stout so when he gets inside I have to work to get out so it's good for me too.

Honestly, the baby keeps me busier than work did most of the time. But yeah, I still find plenty of time to hang on the forums. (Yeah, yeah. "Fora." But seriously, who says "fora"?!)

Stuart

KC Elbows
08-09-2005, 03:58 PM
What kind of class are you teaching?
Stuart

Six elbows. I'm just about to get it started, been picking up gear for it this summer, and working out how I want to run the class; I'll be starting in about a month. I was going to start sooner, but I busted my foot earlier in the summer, and I don't want to rush and reinjure it. I lucked out and found a guy who had a bunch of boxing gloves he picked up at an auction. I'm buying them off him, keeping a few sets for my class, and donating a few sets to the class one of my classmates started across the state line from me, and then donatinfg some sets to my teacher's new class in Cali. $100, 15 sets of gloves. They're nothing great, but they're gear we didn't have for money I managed to have. I'm psyched about that score.

ShaolinTiger00
08-09-2005, 07:59 PM
bottle in microwave - 40 seconds MAX! 30 sec. more typical.

-father of 2 and expert late night bottle warmer..

rogue
08-09-2005, 08:17 PM
And don't forget to shake it like a Poloroid picture to even the hot spots out.

Also a father of two.

Who else could I put in the same house with a jewish lesbian, a hot hairdresser and the aforementioned makeup artist? I just want to know how that line up happened. ap did you wear your kilt?

rubthebuddha
08-09-2005, 09:27 PM
good to see you again, ap, and good to hear you're doin well. congrats on the bebby.

and good to hear all the kidbits from you chaps. mrs. buddha and i found out she's with child just a few weeks ago. we got married in april, and were pregnant in june. :)

also, mrs. buddha and i (and the buddha-to-be, of course) will be in the philly/dc/easton/lusby areas this weekend. any good eats we should check out?

ShaolinTiger00
08-11-2005, 12:01 PM
good to see you again, ap, and good to hear you're doin well. congrats on the bebby.

and good to hear all the kidbits from you chaps. mrs. buddha and i found out she's with child just a few weeks ago. we got married in april, and were pregnant in june. :)

also, mrs. buddha and i (and the buddha-to-be, of course) will be in the philly/dc/easton/lusby areas this weekend. any good eats we should check out?

If you're going to be in southern Maryland, you've got to eat at a crab house!

Drift Inn is a favorite..

yenhoi
08-11-2005, 05:30 PM
yo!

:eek:

rogue
08-11-2005, 05:43 PM
I once got crabs in Maryland in what could be called a "crab house", but that's another story.

Oso
08-11-2005, 07:57 PM
And don't forget to shake it like a Poloroid picture....

dude, you ARE listening to too much of your kids music.... :eek:

rogue
08-13-2005, 07:58 PM
Hey Yah Oso. :p

ap_Oweyn
08-14-2005, 10:24 AM
bottle in microwave - 40 seconds MAX! 30 sec. more typical.

-father of 2 and expert late night bottle warmer..

Things I Learned the Hard Way, Chapter 28, Verse 4 :)

ap_Oweyn
08-14-2005, 10:28 AM
And don't forget to shake it like a Poloroid picture to even the hot spots out.

I think I took care of that part as I was thrashing about the kitchen swearing.

Also a father of two.

Two. Wow. I know lots of people have two (or more) kids. But even now, I can't parse that. :)

I just want to know how that line up happened. ap did you wear your kilt?

By "kilt" do you mean "feather boa"? If so, then yes. Yes I did.

Actually, rooming with lesbians wasn't terribly exciting. Really, if you think about it, lesbians are essentially a subset of women that have no use for YOU. And if you're not going to get used, really you're just sitting about.

In all seriousness, they were really nice people. I actually had a great time wandering around Niagara on the Lake with 'em.

Stuart

ap_Oweyn
08-14-2005, 10:29 AM

Hey thanks mate!

Don't waste any time, do ya? Congratulations!! :)

I guess I didn't get this in time. But Zatiniya's in DC is great. Tapas with a middle eastern bent. Good stuff.

Stuart

ap_Oweyn
08-14-2005, 10:30 AM
Hey Yenhoi,

You still got your website with the training videos up? Couldn't find it on your profile thing.

Stuart

rogue
08-14-2005, 11:28 AM
Two. Wow. I know lots of people have two (or more) kids. But even now, I can't parse that. :) Kids after number one are easy since you've already made your mistakes and traumatized the first one. :D

You know you've got the parenting thing down when you don't lose your appetite during dinner even when the kid has copious amounts of snot running out their nose and their diaper stinks to high heaven.

Actually, rooming with lesbians wasn't terribly exciting. Really, if you think about it, lesbians are essentially a subset of women that have no use for YOU. And if you're not going to get used, really you're just sitting about. After 18 years of marrage I've discovered that all women only have one use for us, and I've been used for that purpose twice and there isn't going to be a third time.

[QUOTE=ap_Oweyn]In all seriousness, they were really nice people. I actually had a great time wandering around Niagara on the Lake with 'em.[QUOTE=ap_Oweyn] The other nice thing is you can look at women with them and they don't get pizzed off at you.

yenhoi
08-14-2005, 02:36 PM
NO.

Website is down.

Good news is in the meantime I have obtained a digital video camera with light enchancing features.

Congrats and all.

I got married too.

;)

ap_Oweyn
08-14-2005, 05:42 PM
NO.

Website is down.

Good news is in the meantime I have obtained a digital video camera with light enchancing features.

Congrats and all.

I got married too.

;)

Then congrats to you too! A video camera eh! Sweet!!

I mean a wife! Sweet!! ;)

Seriously, congratulations Yenhoi.

Stuart

ap_Oweyn
08-14-2005, 05:46 PM
Kids after number one are easy since you've already made your mistakes and traumatized the first one. :D

That's why we named our daughter "Trial Run." She'll grow into it.

You know you've got the parenting thing down when you don't lose your appetite during dinner even when the kid has copious amounts of snot running out their nose and their diaper stinks to high heaven.

My wife says the same thing about being married to me. Why she won't accept that diapers are simply more convenient is completely beyond me.

After 18 years of marrage I've discovered that all women only have one use for us, and I've been used for that purpose twice and there isn't going to be a third time.

I've only been married two and a half years. But I clean toilets and take out rubbish too. Thereby guaranteeing that I'll serve a function for many years to come. Lucky me.

The other nice thing is you can look at women with them and they don't get pizzed off at you.

I suppose that's true, yeah. But frankly, I don't need the competition. Given a choice between me and a bevvy of hot Canadian lesbians, what self-respecting woman would opt for me... eh?

Stuart

rogue
08-14-2005, 06:01 PM
I've only been married two and a half years. But I clean toilets and take out rubbish too. Thereby guaranteeing that I'll serve a function for many years to come. Lucky me. I thought so too until my sons took over the garbage and mowing duties. Good thing I'm so darn good looking and don't mind being my wifes boy toy. :D

ap_Oweyn
08-15-2005, 06:50 AM
I thought so too until my sons took over the garbage and mowing duties. Good thing I'm so darn good looking and don't mind being my wifes boy toy. :D

Great. Ten years from now, I'm screwed. She'll be old enough to take out the trash. And we don't have a lawn. :)