PDA

View Full Version : Sanshou Training

myst8ry0
08-03-2005, 12:09 AM
Hi. This is my first post :)
Im 14 turning 15 September 9th and am planning to start Sanshou. Im trying to prepare my body to be able to take a beating and survive. However, I recently sustained a rotator cuff injury on my right arm so I am unable to do any excercises with it. Please look through my workouts and see if there is anything else I should to prepare my body. (I do not have access to a gym and am only using my own body weight)

Workout 1:
10 sets x 20 Leg Raises (in between each set i hold an elbow planche for 30 sec. and then continue into the next set)
50 Twisting Crunches
5 sets x 10 Left handed pushups
50 crunches (with legs straight and off the ground)

Workout 2:
10 sets x 10 Squats
5 sets x 20 Standing calf raises
3 sets x 60 second wall sits

Workout 3:
10 sets x 20 Twisting Leg Raises
10 sets x 10 second Supermans
50 Twisting crunches

I only do workouts when I dont feel sore and alternate between sets. Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Chief Fox
08-04-2005, 04:04 PM
A workout routine is more effective when you are consistant with it. So instead of only working out when you're not sore, I would schedule your workouts for certain days at certain times. Maybe 3 resistance training workouts a week. Like Mon. Wed, Fri.

I would also add some cardio vascular endurance in there on off days. You will need a lot of wind for sanshou. Try to mimic the load you will be under when fighting.

Things you can do:
3 minute rounds of jumping rope.
3 minute rounds of sprints.
3 minute rounds of shadow boxing.
Any kind of interval training.

You could also alter your resistance routine to be 3 minutes on 1 minute off.

Lastly, a shoulder injury can be prolonged or get worse if you don't give it time to heal. So take it easy.

Good luck.