PDA

View Full Version : Making DIt Dat Jow. need JAR?

cha kuen
08-03-2005, 01:08 AM
WHere's a goood place to buy some Jars? I'm looking for the ususal gallon and also some 5-10 gallon jars.

HOme depot doesnt got any.......

any ideas/??

I can find gallon jars around the house , but what about bigger sizes?

octagonal raven
08-03-2005, 02:00 AM
container store

Dale Dugas
08-03-2005, 02:17 AM
I use glass Carboys from a Beer Making supply store. Cheap, HUGE, and well worth the intial investment.

The only drawback is the little mouth of the container. Sit down and break up the big herbs and feed them into the jar. A total B I T C H to do, but hey hard to find a 3-5 gallon pickle jar anymore around these parts(Boston).

Have fun.

Dale Dugas

poorboy
08-03-2005, 02:21 AM
specialtybottle.com one gallon glass widemouth container. or you can do a search for a carboy, they come in several gallon glass containers. you can buy them at any beer making supplies

David Jamieson
08-03-2005, 05:41 AM
go get mason jars at a walmart.

how hard can it be to get jam jars and what not?

TenTigers
08-03-2005, 06:18 AM
check out places that sell stuff for making your own beer and wine. we use 5gal water cooler jugs. You can also use large deli pickle jars. and the italian delis have big jard for stuffed cherry peppers and such. I'm sure there must be some super sized jars at costco, sam's club. .BJ's wholesalers. Check out Pier One imports.

Lama Pai Sifu
08-03-2005, 06:22 AM
Rick,

Chinatown has them. Check some of the herb stores and kitchenware stores. I use 2 /12 gallon and 5 gallon jars. Been using the same one's for over 14 years. You'll see them if you stop by. They aren't expensive and the have a 4" opening (approx.) so crushing herbs is not necessary and pouring the jow out is easy.

EarthDragon
08-03-2005, 06:46 AM
I have had some jow cooking for over 20 years in the best, simplest and cheapest containers.
Go to a pizzeria and ask them to give you some old bananna pepper jars. they are free!!!!! 1 gallon with a 4" opening and a rubber seal built in the lid to prevent spillage.
They will be happy to give them to you. I actully have a friend that owns a pizza place and holds jars for me all the time.
Just rinse them out well and leve the lid off for a couple of days as they dry..
be well

EarthDragon
08-03-2005, 06:46 AM
I have had some jow cooking for over 20 years in the best, simplest and cheapest containers.
Go to a pizzeria and ask them to give you some old bananna pepper jars. they are free!!!!! 1 gallon with a 4" opening and a rubber seal built in the lid to prevent spillage.
They will be happy to give them to you. I actully have a friend that owns a pizza place and holds jars for me all the time.
Just rinse them out well and leave the lid off for a couple of days as they dry..
be well

Vasquez
08-03-2005, 07:27 AM
Just rinse them out well and leave the lid off for a couple of days as they dry..
be well

I cook my own Jow as well. Now I'm training Iron body which means i have to soak in it in a hot tub.