PDA

View Full Version : Book Advise

kungfustudent
08-03-2005, 03:57 AM
Hello Everybody,

I want to learn kung-fu. But, there is not a good place to learn kung-fu in my city, so I decided to learn it from a book. As you see, i need a great book, because i don't want to learn it wrongly. Can you advise me any book about learning kung-fu?.. It'll be also good if the book is with a cd that shows the techniques. And if the book teaches kung-fu lessons by lessons(like learning from a real master), explains what time of day and how long must i do kung-fu, how often must i do kung-fu each week, how can i use weapons, explains ways of training etc.etc.etc. I don't know the style's name which i want to learn, in fact i watched lots of Jackie Chan's films, and i want to learn something similar to his kung fu style. As you see, i need a very deep book. I'm looking forward to seeing your advices. Don't forget, i'm a beginner, and please advise me a book which i can understand easily. I'll be so glad if you give me lots of details about the book.

7th gen yang
08-03-2005, 09:52 AM
Hello Everybody,

I want to learn kung-fu. But, there is not a good place to learn kung-fu in my city, so I decided to learn it from a book. As you see, i need a great book, because i don't want to learn it wrongly. Can you advise me any book about learning kung-fu?.. It'll be also good if the book is with a cd that shows the techniques. And if the book teaches kung-fu lessons by lessons(like learning from a real master), explains what time of day and how long must i do kung-fu, how often must i do kung-fu each week, how can i use weapons, explains ways of training etc.etc.etc. I don't know the style's name which i want to learn, in fact i watched lots of Jackie Chan's films, and i want to learn something similar to his kung fu style. As you see, i need a very deep book. I'm looking forward to seeing your advices. Don't forget, i'm a beginner, and please advise me a book which i can understand easily. I'll be so glad if you give me lots of details about the book.

Here's a good reference book( Kung Fu Elements) by Shou-Yu Liang & Wen-Ching Wu

Hope this will help you :)

SevenStar
08-03-2005, 10:18 AM
lesson #1 DO NOT LEARN FROM A BOOK.

a book cannot correct you
a book cannot convey all of the fine details you will need to know
a book does not always show the true form or application
a book cannot offer anyway for you to evaluate your progression
a book cannot coach you in fighting

etc.

If you want to train, find a style in your area in your city - so what if it's not kung fu. I would take good tkd from an instructor over self taught kung fu anyday. So would pretty much anyone who is serious about learning.

PangQuan
08-03-2005, 10:31 AM
lesson #1 DO NOT LEARN FROM A BOOK.

+25 Street Cred

Ill have to agree with SevenStars entire post.

If you live in a city there must be someone around that has good kung fu, if thats specifically what your looking for. They may not be as advertised as other teachers but there must be someone. And if not, learn something else.

I would look to books only for the historical and phylisophical insight they may provide.

7th gen yang
08-03-2005, 11:11 AM
I do agree with Seven Star you should really look for an instructor If you notice I only said a reference book because as you will see from the book theres many things you will have no way of telling your doing it right without the help of a Instructor! I don't think its impossible, but do you want to take the chance of learning something incorrect then later find out its wrong you would have to train much harder to fix, take the time to find an instructor to help you.

PangQuan
08-03-2005, 11:41 AM
Things you can learn from a book regarding kung fu

Conditioning methods, such as endurance, flexability and strength.

I suggest if you really want to learn kung fu then you should do some serious research on history and chinese science. Learn about breath and the elements. Chinese history is a valuable tool as well, as much of kung fu developement is deeply rooted in historical events.

I would go so far as to say research everything regarding kung fu EXCEPT for the actual combat element.

You can never have enough knowledge.

Tell us where you live and someone may be able to actually hook you up with someone in your area you are not aware of.

p.s. Yang Jwing Ming is a highly known author of many many books, most all of which cover a good deal of historical and scientific background on the particular style or subject at hand. Check out www.amazon.com

GeneChing
08-03-2005, 12:10 PM
Every journey starts with a first step. If that first step is to buy a kung fu book, read it, and emulate it, that may well be better than signing a three-year contract at Rex Kwon Do. Think about that. I hear mores stories of beginners who dropped out of martial arts because they went to a school before they did any reading. Given that, I'll agree with 7th gen yang in his recommendation of Kung Fu Elements (http://www.martialartsmart.net/bw005.html) - it's a great overview, a good starting point, and should be on the bookshelf of every serious martial artist.

kungfustudent
08-03-2005, 11:21 PM
First of all, thank you for giving advices. I live in Turkey, and Kung fu is not much popular here. That's why i want to learn it from a book. Thanks 7th gen yang. I'll have a look at it now.

I looked it now. It looks good. But please, can you give more information about the book(if you read it before). There are some questions:

1)Which of the styles does the book teaches?

2)Does the book teaches kung fu lessons by lessons?

3)Does it teaches katas?..

4)How far can i learn from this book?..

5)I still need a CD or DVD that shows techniques...

I'm waiting your answers.

Also, I searched internet and found a book:

"The Treasure Book of Chinese Martial Arts"

Anybody has an idea about this book?..

poorboy
08-04-2005, 01:56 AM
you can't learn kung fu that way. you need personal instruction. learning from a teacher is difficult enough. But learning solely from a book/cd/dvd is not good. books serve as informational sources but you can't learn a system from reading a book or watching dvd's.

Mikkyou
08-04-2005, 04:23 AM
You can type in kung fu dvds or videos and you will get hits.Very difficult to learn a complicated system like Tai chi from a book or video.So pick an easy style maybe something that just shows basic stances.I would do a goggle search for kungfu in your general area you might have to drive 16hours or so to get a kungfu teacher
or you might have to fly pn a plane to train.Get in touch with a teacher by email maybe you and him can work out something.

Oso
08-04-2005, 07:56 AM
doesn't Turkey have some traditional fighting styles of it's own? a pretty serious wrestling sort of thing isn't it?

books should only be used as reference...you need the feedback from a teacher/coach.

David Jamieson
08-04-2005, 08:03 AM
I would like to clarify that Yang Jwing Ming is not so much the author as he is the translator from chinese to english of a great deal of the books he has had published under his name.

He has serviced the chinese martial arts as far as getting the ideas and books out there, but he isn't the original author in a great many of the publications he has his name on.

Chief Fox
08-04-2005, 08:09 AM
Learning a style will be difficult without hands on instruction. However, you can learn training and conditioning techniques from a book like the one mentioned above. Then to take it a bit further you can get a video like Cung Le's Fundamentals (http://www.martialartsmart.net/dvdcl005.html) to learn some basic fighting techniques and drills.

I would say most important part in self training is a good training partner. Get some sparring gear and be careful but have fun.

Hope this helps, good luck.

kungfustudent
08-04-2005, 08:33 AM
Can you give more details about the DVD?.. Does it teach katas?.. Again, does it teach kung fu lessons by lessons?... Lastly, which of the styles of kung fu does it teach?..

TaichiMantis
08-04-2005, 08:56 AM
Here are two books available from amazon.com that are required reading for our beginners. I would have to agree that book reading and dvds cannot teach you martial arts. These books will prepare you for what to expect in class and are good for basic concepts.

1. Kungfu For Kids (Martial Arts for Kids)
by Paul Eng (Hardcover - May 30, 2005)

2. Kungfu Basics (Tuttle Martial Arts)
by Paul Eng (Paperback - June 15, 2004)

PangQuan
08-04-2005, 09:26 AM
I would like to clarify that Yang Jwing Ming is not so much the author as he is the translator from chinese to english of a great deal of the books he has had published under his name.

He has serviced the chinese martial arts as far as getting the ideas and books out there, but he isn't the original author in a great many of the publications he has his name on.

Thank you for the rectification.