PDA

View Full Version : Asking for help

Pixel
08-05-2005, 01:28 PM
Hello all,
I've been interested in martial arts for many years, and have had the great honor of being instructed in Yoshinkan Aikido for 2 years by a wonderful Sensei. But he had to move away, and thus I am looking for a new martial art. I have been in search for a long while of what style suits my needs, but I recently stubbled upon some information explaining the basic principles of Southern Praying Mantis, specifically of the Bamboo Forest type. I really like the idea of the style, soft and reactive, but still a striking style, and also incorperating Chin Na, Dim Mak and traditional Chinese healing in it as well. I thought this would be a contrast to my previous Aikido experience, as it is striking instead of mainly throwing techniques. Unfortunately, it is also a very rare style.
I was wondering if anyone on these forums could tell me if there is a school teaching this style in the Seattle area, or if there is some other solution that could be offered (ie, a more common, but very similar style). If there is a similar style, I would like it to focus on the self-defense aspect, and not be "flashy" just for the sake of being flashy. Although I know some of that comes down to the individual teachers.

Thank you for any answers, replies, or solutions that any of you can provide me with.

Pakmei
08-08-2005, 12:35 AM
Hi Pixel,
If you can't find any Bamboo Forest Preying Mantis schools, then you might like to broaden your search and look for Chow Gar or Dit Ngau (Iron Ox) Preying mantis schools.

They all have the same principles with some slight variances in their techniques, etc.

Alternatively, you can broaden your search even further by searching for Pak Mei (White Eyebrow) and Lung Ying (Dragon Sign) styles, as again there is a similarity with these two styles and Southern Preying Mantis.

All of the above systems, are highly effective for self defence, and I'm sure that once you manage to find a class and go along to view it.... you know from that point, that it has no flashy movements.

All of these schools are pretty secretive and very rarely teach on a commercial basis, so this might mean that you'll have to do a lot of searching around.... if there is a Chinatown in Seattle, that would be your best bet to start your search.

Hope that helps.

Pixel
08-08-2005, 10:16 AM
Thanks for responding, I thought no one would for a while there. I heard that the Iron Ox style uses training of striking hard objects repeatedly to harden the fists and other contact points. I'm not too thrilled about that, if this is the case. I will definitely look into the other styles you mentioned.
Could you possibly tell me the differences between northern and southern praying mantis? I know northern is a lot more common and popular, but it has those flashy moves, but what are the other differences. Is it as effective as the southern style?

Again thank you very much.

X-Warrior
08-08-2005, 03:35 PM
Pakmei is correct, all of the above styles mentioned are similar to the Bamboo Forest Mantis in principal. I might add Wing Chun is also a very popular art that you might find a school of in the Seattle area, Wing Chun also has similar principal as Praying Mantis does.

You could also try to call Bruce Campbell's Bamboo Forest Mantis school in PA (717)-392-8301, he's a great guy you can ask for more information. He instructs Bamboo Forest Mantis.

-X-

Golden Arms
08-08-2005, 04:17 PM
Hey there..You might really enjoy looking into bagua, as it has some similarities with Aiki, but also has a ton of striking and very advanced concepts as well. If you are interested at all, pm me and I will give you details :) As a fellow former aiki practitioner, i would have loved to have found bagua 10 years ago or so!

Pakmei
08-09-2005, 12:44 AM
Pixel,
All the Southern Mantis schools practice the traditional body conditioning exercises, power training and sensitivity drills, it's part and parcel of the system.

The difference between Northen and Southern Mantis, is the body shape, foundation, footwork and more predominently techniques! Southern Mantis is alot more closed in, by this I mean the elbows rarely leave the rib cage open and pretty much always stay in front of the ribs. The techniques are very fast and direct, with heavy use of the phoenix eye punch.

For more information about the various styles of Southern Mantis, you can look at www.tonglong.co.uk I believe that this site has some good articles that help to differenriate bamboo forest, chow gar and iron ox.

I'm sure that some of the Southern Mantis guys on here, would be able to help you out more with the characteristics of the style. I can only speak from a Pak Mei (White Eyebrow) point of view!

Good luck.

TaichiMantis
08-09-2005, 04:51 AM
You may want to try Tai Chi Praying Mantis at this school in Ballard http://www.thebamboogrove.com/KungFu_History.asp

Sifu Langer is a kung fu brother to my sifu. Grandmaster Cheng was considered the number 2 discliple under Chiu Chuk Kai. I have seen video clips of his son, Master Brian Cheng, totally amazing! Sifu Langer may also have some knowledge of Bak Mei, learned from Grandmaster Cheng or Professor Randall Choy of Hawaii.

X-Warrior
08-09-2005, 09:43 PM
Pixel,
All the Southern Mantis schools practice the traditional body conditioning exercises, power training and sensitivity drills, it's part and parcel of the system.

The difference between Northen and Southern Mantis, is the body shape, foundation, footwork and more predominently techniques! Southern Mantis is alot more closed in, by this I mean the elbows rarely leave the rib cage open and pretty much always stay in front of the ribs. The techniques are very fast and direct, with heavy use of the phoenix eye punch.

You summed it up well Pak mei. Southern Mantis uses one principal: spend as little energy as possible, therefore moves are very short, and the so called 'shock power' is used. The phoenix eye (or fist) is held close to the opponent and strikes from just a few inches from the target (the shock power literally feels like electricity shocking you; I have experienced this :) ). Damages are inflicted internally rather than occuring on the outside of the body. The higher level you are, the shorter your punching distance is yet the effects felt deeper. Southern Mantis masters move very little but hit (preferrably) acupressure, aucpuncture or sensitive points on the body with great accuracy. With the combination of acupuncture knowledge this leads to the use of Dim Mak on higher levels.

Actually according to my information there is relation between Wing Chun, Pak Mei and the Southern Mantis at some level, no one knows the truth about it but it is believed that masters of these arts might have exchanged knowledge, thus the many similarities in principals and many techniques among these arts, but it might be just because these arts were born relatively close to each other.

-X-