PDA

View Full Version : Training in both : Bagua and Tai Chi

Daredevil
01-09-2001, 07:08 PM
I'm sure the question has been asked before at one time or another, but ..

Do you feel that training in both bagua and tai chi can be contradictory and counter-productive at a basic level?

I think that an expert in a system can certainly benefit in crosstraining and examining another system, but I don't feel so confident for non-experts.

Anyway, I'd like to hear your opinions and possible experiences about this and also why do you feel it is either counter-productive or actually beneficial.

Thanks.

baji-boy
01-10-2001, 12:32 AM
Well, I think that it would really depend on the individual, as well as who is teaching them. This is because, even if one is not an "expert" in another style, if they try hard enough, and dedicate enough time, etc. to understand everything, along with proper instruction, that individual would benefit. Although it wouldn't hurt to have prior knowlegde and experience.

BTW, I'm a no expert in Baji, and I'm beginning Bagua...:)

Braden
01-10-2001, 01:43 AM
It totally depends on the individual and teacher. I would recommend doing one for at least three years before dipping your feet into the other one. The mechanics can be complementary, but you have to spend alot of time training your body to use those mechanics. The bagua alone will take three hours a day of practicing to do it justice (and easily much more if you're a nutcase)... now, I'm lucky if I have two hours a day to practice. But I couldn't imagine having to split my time between the exercises of two styles.

Daredevil
01-10-2001, 10:07 AM
Hmm, thanks for the answers.

I'm asking because I'm currently practicing neither Bagua nor Tai Chi (just continuing with Monkey style and complementing it with a little Yiquan), but I would very much like to study an internal art, ESPECIALLY bagua.

The problem is, there are no Bagua teachers in my region. I am going to a seminar by Park Bok Nam in England to have a looksee at the system and maybe figure a way to practise it by myself (do you Bagua guys think that is a feasible idea?) with only occasional visits to seminars and so.

However, there are Tai Chi instructors in my area, so I'm tempted to look into those even if Bagua is the burning passion (saying that without having actually practised it, heh).

WingLamStudent
01-10-2001, 04:42 PM
Daredevel,
In my opinion, it is the teacher that is more important than the style. If it were me, I would study Tai Chi with an instructor rather than Bagua from a book or tape. From a book or tape you could learn the external or physical aspects of Bagua but without a teacher, learning the internal aspects would be a real challenge. The similarities between Bagua and Tai Chi are in the internal aspects so if you study Tai Chi and get a good understanding for the internal aspects, then if or when you get a chance to study Bagua from a real teacher, you will have a jump on it.

-- Mark

Daredevil
01-10-2001, 05:34 PM
I definately agree that tapes and videos are not going to take anyone far. That's not my intention really. I do get to go to Park Bok Nam's seminar where he is teaching personally.

Of course, a quick visit will not be sufficient to really learn any art. I'm just hoping I can pick up a few fundamental basics which I can drill until my vision goes blurry and which will benefit me otherwise and especially as a foundation when I get a chance to practise Bagua under a teacher properly.

I just wonder if throwing Tai Chi into this mix will do me ay good. Though, thinking about it, if I only do manage to learn a few Bagua fundamentals for now, I don't think it will too much of a hindrance ... comments?

Esteban
01-10-2001, 06:57 PM
Hi Daredevil,

if your question is whether tjq will mess up your bgz, I'd say no. But, too much depends on who and how you learn them. I think you'd have to be very smart or very lucky to just mix and match from different instructors and come up with anything other than a mishmash --after many years of training. IMHO, you might be better off taking up Xingyi. Years ago, although there weren't many people teaching them, Bagua and Xingyi were taught together. As you know, Sun Lu Tang did all three arts. But, he started out with Xingyi. Anyway, I also agree with the other posters that finding a teacher who understands is the most important thing.

Respects,
Esteban