PDA

View Full Version : Musical Influence

PangQuan
08-06-2005, 11:24 AM
Its well known that music can influence your present mental and emotional state.

Personally I like all forms of music with the exclusion of american country...

I notice a large difference during my personal training depending on what type of music I am listening to, or if I am not listening to music at all.

For instance. Traditional Chinese or western classical music amplifies a state of calm and serinity, and I feel that I am more able concentrate on actual application and "feel" the movements on a more intimate level.

Heavy metal or fast techno will put me into more of an aggresive state and I am more inclined to concentrate on issuing actual heavy force with my techniques, and executing all movements at my fastest pace possible.

70's or 80's disco or pop culture style music will make me feel more creative and funky, which influences me to create more.

Now generally when I am not listening to music I will go into more of an automated mode where I go through differnt states of training. Such as touching evenly on everything I want to work on in the day, not really paying to much special attention to any one element. Unless of course I need to at that time.

This of course is all realative to the mental state I am in before I decide what kind of music I will listen to before I begin practice. But I cant help the feeling music in and of itself is an external source that has a large amount of influence on my emotional state in regards to my practice.

thoughts?

IronFist
08-06-2005, 12:00 PM
Agreed.

But if I'm working out I don't like to listen to too technical of music. I love bands like Dream Theater, Stratovarius, and Sonata Arctica, but I need to be able to pay attention to them if I'm listening to them, so even tho that music pumps me up, I can't work out to it.

5Animals1Path
08-07-2005, 11:31 AM
Good dramatic classical is my personal choice. I'll set my workout to the tempo of the music, and use it to push myself harder.

Vash
08-07-2005, 01:01 PM
I love heavy metal, techno, and thrash during weight training. Technique time, though, I can't stand music.

TenTigers
08-07-2005, 01:14 PM
We had an "Initiation" recently at our school. Basically, when a student reaches intermediate level, they are brought into the senior class for the fiorst time and they spar each of their training brothers, one after another.
Well, to add to the festivities, we shut the lights, leaving only the soft, warm glow of the red altar lights, locked the doors, threw on a strobe light, and cranked Marilyn Manson. When the smoke cleared, there was a split chin,dislocated shoulder, a broken finger and assorted concussions. What a train wreck!
I think next time I'll opt for one of his mellower tracks. Yep...good thinkin...must be the music..yep.. :eek:

CaptinPickAxe
08-08-2005, 12:44 AM
Music is my life, so everything tends to revolve around that.

Working out? Music
Sparring? Music
Sleeping? Music

pretty much the only time I don't like music is when I'm meditating.

Oso
08-08-2005, 06:51 AM
alternative, ska, house, hip hop, hard/fast bluegrass or metal for hard, sweat inducing workouts.

reggae, old school ska or blue beat stuff for general training...turned down low but with the bass all the way up so it's just background

trance for those long stance training sessions that only make my legs strong withing a 30 deg arc of my position and have no use in fighting. :D

lyrical stuff I can sing to for road trips.

ambient/environmental stuff for naps on the couch on a rainy sunday afternoon...

rogue
08-08-2005, 09:40 AM
70's or 80's disco or pop culture style music will make me feel more creative and funky, which influences me to create more. And also makes you watch Queer Eye.

When I used to spar all the time it was always Metallica before class. Now it's just as likely to be Leonard Bernstein, Weird Al or Montgomery Gentry. I also have been listening to some of that pop punk pap that my kids like. Sure aint the Deadboys.

Oso
08-08-2005, 09:46 AM
Rogue, you want some old school style metal in a new band be on the lookout for a group named "Crank County Daredevils" loudest effing band I've ever seen live.

PangQuan
08-08-2005, 09:54 AM
one of my favorite songs to do forms to is the 70's kung fu fighting song. that one is awsome, I have several remixes of it too. Gotta love the Once Upon A Time in China sound track too though.

some of my top favorites.

Fear Factory

Sepultura

Operation Ivy

Beastie Boys

Slayer

Sublime

just to list a few...

cbishop
08-08-2005, 02:53 PM
http://164.58.65.137/sumdumgoy/glow/05.mp3

CaptinPickAxe
08-08-2005, 03:36 PM
Lifting-Pantera, Soulfly, Slipknot
Sparring-Amon Tobin
Cardio-Aesop Rock, Non Phixion, El-P

These aren't set in stone, but these are the general idea. I like intense music like Heavy Metal during lifting sessions, I love aggressive, dark music for when I spar, and I usually just listen to my regular music when I'm on the bike...

MUST BE LOUD!!!

SPJ
08-14-2005, 08:26 AM
I was so upset by the piissing contest on the Great Walls.

I lost my calmness.

I am now listening to the flute playing Xiao Fan Niu.

A little Chinese water buffalo boy/cow boy.

We are going to the grassland with a pond.

----

:D

Kristoffer
08-14-2005, 08:39 AM
Lady Sovereign -shhh!

make it loud