PDA

View Full Version : Hung-Fut??

TenTigers
08-07-2005, 09:38 PM
Are there any vids showing the Hung-Fut style, and how they play their forms?

hskwarrior
08-07-2005, 09:43 PM
i have on tape a student of Tai Yim of the Hung Fut style. to me, it looks like a cross between CHoy Lee Fut and Hung Ga. some loose, some very tight techniques. all in all, with the right students, it does look very effective.

hsk

poorboy
08-08-2005, 12:14 AM
you can see sifu Tai Yim in action in several mater's demo dvd's from past tournaments. He is also featured in kung fu magazines 10th anniversary dvd.

choy lay fut is hung fut's sister system. hung fut contains alot of hung gar techniques with faster footwork. sifu yim reminds me of the late choy lay fut GM Lee Koon Hung (I hope i spelled his name right, if not I apologize), that is in the speed of his hand techniques and footwork. I saw sifu yim perform in the late 70's in NY's chinatown, he was extremely fast with alot of power behind each technique.

TenTigers
08-08-2005, 07:36 AM
HSK- is there any way you can make me a copy of this?
I have some theories on how and why Hung-Ga has developed (devolved) to its present form, and this might hold some keys. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
TT

brothernumber9
08-08-2005, 08:24 AM
The primary source of Hung Ga incorporated into Hung Fut predates WFH. I'm curious what aspect(s) of Hung Ga from Hung Fut you'd be loooking at/for. Also there are several branch Hung Fut styles as well as village and familial Hung Fut branches, all have Hung Fut trademarks but some vary more than just a little.

TenTigers
08-08-2005, 02:57 PM
I realise that Hung Fut 's Hung-Kuen came from Hung Hei-Guen, and not Wong Fei-Hung. So I might be barking up the wrong tree. My thoughts are as such. Everyone plays Hung-Ga,one breath, one strike, and with a great emphasis on One shot deal. Yet Choy Li Fut is using the exact same techniqyes as Hung-Ga, but they throw looser, more fluid,extended barrages, with continuation. It is my feeling that all figting should be played this way, and Hung-Ga got caught up trying to fight the way they do their forms. Wing Chun, Tai-Chi, Bot Gua and others do their forms entirely different than applied fighting. Just as Tai-Chi has a fast set, i wonder if styles such as CLF, Hung-Fut,Jow-Ga did not in a way become just that very thing, while Hung-Ga lost something in the translation.Basically, I think that for the most part, people are playing it wrong. ( :eek: EEEK!!!) I know I will ruffle some feathers, and probably lose the respect of some people for these views -so be it.
In the words of Rhet Butler,"Frankly, I don't give a ****"

hskwarrior
08-08-2005, 06:05 PM
Hey tenTigers,

I would have to dig up the video tape, but no problem. but it was taped off of the Tat Mau Wong's tv show "kung Fu theater" and the guy was from boston, chicago,or something rather.

They had a lot of Choy Lee Fut movements, but a lot of Hung ga flavor.

in regards to how you feel hung ga should really be performed, then you should be amongst the first to take your system into the next era. become sort of a pioneer, but make sure you get the blessings of your elders first. I would suggest shape your sets the way you feel the should be done, then present them to your sifu and any other elders to get their approval. its all about advancement, man!!!!!!!!!!! :D

hsk

jmd161
08-08-2005, 09:36 PM
I'm not sure i could be wrong, but to "MY" knowledge CLF has no barring or anything to do with Hung Fut.

Hung Fut comes from the blending of Fut Gar and Hung Gar, but i can see why ppl think CLF might have had an influence on Hung Fut. I say that because in Black Tiger at times our movements look alot like Clf,Hung Fut, and Jow Gar, but the jing is strickly Hak Fu Mun.

I think all tend to favor CLF, when they use their longrange techniques, just my thoughts..

When i was training Hung Fut i could really see the Hung Gar and Fut Gar influence on the style. I'm looking to find out a lil on Hung Fut,Fut Gar, and Hung Gar, as i've just met my new sifu, who teaches Hung Gar and Fut Gar.

jeff:)

Southern Fist
08-10-2005, 10:26 PM
TT:
I thought you are well acquainted with Yim Sifu?

It is true Southern Styles have many similarities, But, remember the founders of those styles are from different regions and time frame.

Hung Ga influence will be seen in the Dynamic Tension and strong Stances in Hung Fut.

What makes Hung Fut Unique is the balance of the quick/fast movements and the slow training movements.

TT just phone Yim Sifu he is a pleasant Teacher, who will discuss these difference with you.