PDA

View Full Version : Yik-Wah-Tik---someone teach me!!!!

hskwarrior
08-09-2005, 06:52 AM
hello folks,

Sorry for making this thread an offshoot of Hung Fut??

However, i thought that it is only a " Choy Lee Fut" thing to use the "Yik for the punches, "WAh" for the tiger claws, and "Tik" for the Kicks?

Now, I have noticed other styles (other than CLF) that use the same sounds the exact same way we in CLF use.

SO if Hung Fut has no CLF influence at all, then why do they use the Yik wah tik?

forgive my ignorance but CLF is the only major system i have trained in my whole life, so i am open to being taught something here.

thanks for your comments in advance

hsk

brothernumber9
08-09-2005, 07:27 AM
There are several Hung Fut branch styles and various village styles. From the line I learned only "hee!" and "wah!" is used. "yik-wah-tik" as you mentioned are characteristically Choy Lay Fut.

If there is a Hung Fut line that does use "yik-wah-tik" then I would assume a teacher somewhere on that line also learned some CLF in addition to Hung Fut and consistently used "yik-wah-tik" afterwards. Of the limited exposure I have to styles outside of Hung Fut, Choy Lay Fut is the only one I have seen that uses a sort of sound of the animal when performing various animal techniques, most or all others I have seen use the animals' names when performing the techniques with the exception of the common use of "fu" and/or "wah" for the tiger.

In an overview way Hung Fut and Hung Sing Choy Lay Fut look very similar. In some lineages the differences in a Hung Sing Choy Lay Fut bow and a Hung Fut bow is only in the spreading of the fingers. In my own opinion (limited again I remind you) Choy Lay Fut forms perform more hand techniques per each stance than in Hung Fut and utilizes more switching back and forth from Sei Ping Ma or Ji Ng Ma to cat/empty stance and back with the same foot forward continuously more often than in Hung Fut combos.

Though there is no direct influence from one to the other that I know of, just as a point of note, Sifu Lee koon Hung and Sifu Yim Tai had schools that were close (in proximity) to one another in HK and occasionally helped each other out for different functions. They kept contact especially after Sifu Lee Koon Hung opened his Fort Lauderdale school in Florida, which bye the way was to this date the coolest kungfu function type weekend I have ever been to.

hskwarrior
08-09-2005, 08:54 AM
thats what i thought, yikwahtik was strictly for clf.

Still, do you know of the Hung Fut teacher i am talking about? he is a light skinned african american with light brown hair, and in pretty good shape from either boston or chicago, sorry, his name escapes me. but he was featured on tat mau wongs "kung Fu theater" a few years ago.

thanks man.

hsk

brothernumber9
08-09-2005, 09:10 AM
yes, I know who you are refering to. If he added "yik-wah-tik" to his forms demonstrations then it is something he did on his own or out of habit if that was just the way he yelled. However that is not how or what he was taught. Just the same, and I certainly could be wrong because I have not seen him in some years, but I beleive he "closed his hands" and moved on somewhere else.

hskwarrior
08-09-2005, 09:24 AM
oh, really? thats' interesting, because he seemed so gung ho about Hung Fut when he was talking about it to Tat Mau Wong. anyways, i still have that footage on tape somewhere.

thanks brother.

oh, can you explain something to me brother#9? ok, you know how it looks when pushing down the chi, right? but in hung fut i have seen you guys bring your hands out in front you with your fingers pointing inward and at each other and then you bring it down towards your waist. can you explain that for me? i think it has something to do with your chi?

hsk

brothernumber9
08-09-2005, 10:18 AM
my knowledge of chi kung training and excercises in Hung Fut is rudimentary at best. From what I undersand, or presume to understand, As the arms come out and the body begins to round, tension in almost all muscle groups below the neck gradually increases and the practitioner introspectively imagines or "feels" the center of their limbs and structure as hollow, it is from there that they try to feel and circulate chi, one culminating spot being the fingertips. The hands then flip inwards forming a sort of 'L' shape at the knuckles, the arms are pointed away from the body but the fingertips of one hand point to the fingertips of the other. Then using intense dynamic tension the arms and hands are pulled back to the body/waist, sort of compressing chi even further. I imagine kinda similar to gas in a cylinder of a combusible engine, waiting for the spark to release the now increased potential energy.

On a non-chi level, the intense dynamic tension, while moving back to the body, causes the tensed muscle groups to relax and re-tense extremely rapidly and repeatedly giving a sort of work out sort of similar but almost in reverse in a way, to elctro-therapy. If cjurakpt happens to read this I'm sure he could confirm, deny, or clarify this with his professional expertise on rehab and excercise/anatomical sciences.

sorry for using 'sort of' so much.