PDA

View Full Version : Gun Cai theory-SSPM original poster

BeiTangLang
08-11-2005, 01:31 PM
Posted from another thread.

" #39 Today, 03:09 PM
sspm
Registered User Join Date: Jul 2005

I know that this next question is off the topic but considering that it does have to do with the "Conference" I thought I would ask it here. In the article it is mentioned that Sifu Cottrell "presented the application of the gun cai entry..." I was wondering if someone who was at the conference could explain exactly which technique that is. Thank you in advance. "

sspm
08-12-2005, 03:53 PM
Maybe I was to limiting when I posed the question about "gun cai entry" to just the people who were at the Mantis Conference, so I will make it broader does anyone know what technique the "gun cai entry" is? Again thank you in advance.

libingshao
08-13-2005, 10:21 AM
sspm,

I did not respond to your question because I did not go to the conference and I am about as new to this forum as you. :) I am sure others can answer this better but here goes what little I know:

Perhaps some of the background information would help.

From the 18 family poem:

Yang Gunde Gun Cai Ru Zhi-
My take:
"The staff plucking movements of Master Yang Gun enable him to enter easily, (directly)". Not a literal translation but as I understand the context each master was being praised for their techniques so I take it this way.

Commentary by others:

Master Lee Kam Wing translates the poem as attributing the technique I guess so he translates this way:
The "rolling drag and punch" techniques of Yang Gun.

It is, according to commentary by Master Paul Eng of Taiji tanglangquan, blocking...deflecting and striking simultaniously with one or both hands. Though to be fair Master Eng does translate Gun as club, and cai as pluck, ru as enter, and zhi as directly.

These are the only commercially-available translations and commentaries I have seen.

We are taught about this technique also and the translation tracks, (though I must say Master Eng's commentary differs somewhat).

Maybe others will join in.

Libingshao

sspm
08-13-2005, 12:34 PM
Thank you for taking the time to reply and share what you know. It was helpful.

sspm

libingshao
08-13-2005, 01:45 PM
Here is an application that I am somewhat confident of describing. (this could prove to be my undoing, pride cometh and all that...) :)

A punches at me, lead hand, left stance.

I, in a right stance, deflect the punch inward with my lead right hand by rotating my arm, the same rotation jerks the arm of the opponent inward because I pull it at the elbow in an inward/diagonal direction. Continuing my circular motion I punch A with the same right lead hand.

Wow....as I read that perhaps I should not be so confident.

Libingshao

sspm
08-14-2005, 05:30 AM
Thank you that was a vivid description and more than I expected. Thank you for not holding back.