PDA

View Full Version : RE: Old masters (Video)

HearWa
08-15-2005, 02:07 PM
SPJ: I split the thread because I didn't want to hijack it.

---

The old thread: http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37958

I find the aforementioned video and thread very interesting. Being a person with no experience with internal styles I don't know what to look for, but I'm going to have my say anyways, albeit ignorant I know.

To be honest at this point I really don't know why these people would spend the time they have to learn the skills demonstrated. I'm not trying to be disrespecful, but I'm very confused as to what motivates the people in that video. Is it the health benefits? The art? The subtlety of movement? The MA applications (I haven't seen much of this but I have heard many times they are there)? If I am to go by the opinion of many of the [very respected] members of this forum the practitioners in the video are performing very well.

The contrast I see between this and XMA (what I call pseudo-karate + gymnastics) is interesting, though. It seems culturally the Chinese are more interested in finding complexity in the simple while in the west we are interested in finding simplicity in the complex. Thoughts?

David Jamieson
08-15-2005, 03:02 PM
At their age it's about health benefits and the cultural heritage of the art and it's continuity to the next generation. Clarity of mind and body etc etc. The martiality is likely not applicable in their cases. However, Let's take Madame Sun as an example who has passed her family Taiji to Wing Lam who now passes it on to his students. Some of whom may apply it in combat sportive or otherwise.

Mr. Horse
08-15-2005, 03:04 PM
I kind of agree.

David Jamieson
08-15-2005, 03:21 PM
well mr.horse, unless there is a brawl in the oatmeal lineup at the seniors home, I highly doubt any of those folks are fighters anymore. :p

Chief Fox
08-15-2005, 03:43 PM
I hate putfile... it never works for me... I just hate it.

SPJ
08-15-2005, 06:25 PM
There are a lot of things in the video.

Master Yuan demo three royal cannon fist or San Huang Pao Chui.

You may see tiger claws or Hu Zhua and 2 straight fists to the front and the back or Pao Chui etc.

Madame Sun demo opening and closing of hand and foot movments. They are close and separate again. It is called Kai He Gong. The moves are parts of "jade girl working on a shuttle" in 4 directions or Yu Nui Chuan Suo. There are also upward and downward movements of hands and feet. Golden pheasant standing on one leg or Jing Ji Du Li. Turn step brush knee push forward. Horizontal Cloud hands or Ping Yun Shou etc etc.

There are more.

Just some highlites.

:)

GunnedDownAtrocity
08-15-2005, 10:36 PM
i dont understand why there's a second thread when the first one only had a handful of replies.

some of them about cool beards and some such stuff.

then again i dont understand a lot of things. like why do automatic doors only open one way? figure that one out.

HearWa
08-16-2005, 10:24 AM
i dont understand why there's a second thread when the first one only had a handful of replies.

some of them about cool beards and some such stuff.
Well, I was replying early in the threads life and thought it'd take off more than it did. That and I all ready stated that I didn't want to hijack the origional.

then again i dont understand a lot of things. like why do automatic doors only open one way? figure that one out.
What should the door do if a people are on either side? Oh, and here's another reason I started a new thread: I hate contributing to a threads dissolution, much like what the question you just asked is doing to this thread. But no worries.

David Jamieson
08-16-2005, 10:36 AM
I personally thought the cannon fist demonstration exhibited the most power issuance. But that's a trait of the style I think. It appears to have a few 'smashing through' techs in it.

They were all obviously long time practitioners and had refined power. Not overwhelming power, but refined.

HearWa
08-16-2005, 08:57 PM
I echo your sentiments...

<begin Echo>

I hate putfile.
It never works for me.
I just hate it.

<end Echo>

Though I know there are no good alternatives for posting public files at present.

Even if they play they are sometimes good for entertainment but not for MA study as one can't control the playback.

I look in the temporary internet files.
And open the (getfile) javascript file using the program "notepad" and find the WWW and copy and paste that link to download (usually using a cracked download assistant program).

Alternatively, the file is sometimes found in the temporary internet files and easily identifiable by it's size and icon.But, But sometimes I don't getit all so i just download it. Also, some Windows like XP try to hide the files and make it difficult for users to control thier own machine,
So i stick to Win 98 as it is easier to manipulate.

Then I play the file from my hard drive in Alternative Windows/RealQuicktime player.
I control the speed and slow it down when i want to see the movements clearly and repeat at leisure. The Alternative Winplayer freeware has less hassles.

Machines want WAR, Give 'em WAR!!

Humans versus Machine!!!
I usually copy some text that's just below the embedded video clip, go to View -> Source in my web browser, use the Find feature in the editor that's launched and search for the copied text. Then, look just above the highlighted text for the direct link to the video.

From here, you can use a download manager to get it (try "wget" for linux), or if the file isn't associated with any program in windows just paste the link into the browser window and download it.

SPJ
08-17-2005, 07:14 AM
The real reason I posted the thread:

A dose of humility and reality.

Madame Sun is always humble and so she is liked and respected by all.

Master Wu made some "extra" claims about his background. So people are more critical of him. And some even called him a fraud.

Some students said he was only being "playful" in the clip.

There was no torso method such as turning the waist and hip etc.

My take is this. Master Wu believes that there is a Tai Chi in your thumb or circles around the finger joints.

If you pay attention, there are white crane spreading wings, hidden punch on a "smaller" scale. There are also Ti (upward of the wrist) and An (downward). The small turning backfist is like Fan Bei Chui (hitting with the back fist) in other styles, Wu Hua Pao (flowering cannon fist, Chen style) or Ban Lan Chui (Yang style) on a smaller scale. etc

I examined the moves according to the directions of the Jing no matter how "far" the distance travels.

The lesson is that we may know a lot but there are a lot we dunno.

Do not make "extra" claims. Just say what you think and why. We all can be wrong about things from time to time.

Do not "judge" something based on what you "know" only.

Keep an open mind.

etc etc.

Again, master Wu may be "playful" and only he "knew" the "truth." And I could be wrong, too.

A bite of reality and humble pumkin pie.

-----

:D

Neophyte
08-17-2005, 07:48 AM
I really enjoyed the vid, Thanks. I just hope I can still move like that when I'm their age.

HearWa
08-17-2005, 07:58 AM
Just do a search for "wmv" in the source.
I don't usually search for the file type because it could be anything from mpeg to mpg, wmv to mov, avi to swf, etc. I find my solution saves alot more time.

---

Now that I think of it you can better find the direct link by searching for ".putfile.com/videos/" without the quotes in the source.

GunnedDownAtrocity
08-17-2005, 11:56 AM
as hard as i try i just cant seem to get the most retarded post in any thread anymore.

FatherDog
08-17-2005, 03:04 PM
as hard as i try i just cant seem to get the most retarded post in any thread anymore.

I have new socks!