PDA

View Full Version : Question for any/all Bagua practitioners

OldFatBaldGuy
01-14-2001, 05:29 AM
I went to the Black Taoist's web site (2 thumbs up) to check things out. I was really impressed with the Bagua Da Dao....that is one BIG piece of cutlery. Question is, is it a meditational/training weapon as opposed to a combat weapon? My taiji teacher, who admittedly is unfamiliar with Bagua weapons, thought it too large to be used effectively in combat. We both were wanting to know.

Thanks.

OldFatBaldGuy

vingtsunstudent
01-14-2001, 05:53 AM
could somebody please give me the web address so i can check it out.
vts

count
01-14-2001, 06:00 AM
I think you could not only take out the soldier but you could take out the whole horse at the same time. I think this would be an effective combat weapon in the days where wars were fought with swords and spears. I would call this heavy artillery. I don't think there are any weapons in any bagua that are used for meditation and most are for training and historic value. It is the tatics and power that you get from that which make them useful to train with.

count
01-14-2001, 06:01 AM
Maoshan and Blackdoaist Web Address (http://pages.zdnet.com/niwah64/Ba-GuaZhang/)

vingtsunstudent
01-14-2001, 06:44 AM
thanx, quite a good little read.
vts

maoshan
01-14-2001, 07:32 AM
In the old days the weapons were much much heavier
than in recent times. My own late sifu had a regular sword from the late 1800 that i couldn,t
hold up for more than a minute. When i asked about it he said that it was a common sword that most
people used at that time. He then proceeded to demonstrate the green dragon sword form with such ease, that you would have thought he was holding
a wushu aluminum sword.

I've also had the experiance of trying to hold an old spanish swordwith the same effect.

Today the Da Dao is used to train power. And trust
me, to get through the form is no joke. the blade
is combat steel. The goal is to complete the form
5x. I can only do it once right now, but give me a little time.

Peace Maoshan

:D

Practice doesn't make perfect.
Perfect practice makes perfect

Sung
01-14-2001, 07:04 PM
"Practice doesn't make perfect.
Perfect practice makes perfect"

- very true. nice signature maoshan.