PDA

View Full Version : Hung Sing Spear

Troy Dunwood
08-18-2005, 01:20 PM
In reference to Hung Sing Spear or Lau Bun's spear my statement is that of information passed down from Sifu Dino concerning Lau Bun's spear being a northern style spear, no he never said it came from Lau Bun's Si-Mo that was just my take on it, since he stated she introduced northern type manoeuvres to Lau Bun's Choy Lee Fut. Most that know me know that spear is my favorite weapon, it is primarily the only weapon I practice, my 5ft Rolling Spear for ground work, Double Headed Spear of Choy Siu Ming, My 9 ft Wu Dong Spear for strength training and of course my arms length for Eight Immortals spear and my favorite the Six Harmony Spear of N. Shaolin, not to mention the other spear set I've learned over the years. In any case the basics for spear I believe are the same regardless to northern or southern style, of course distinct styles have there own flavor and structure but the foundation is the same. Most southern styles have adopted much from the northern style weaponry because traditionally southern style weaponry wasn't so vast, but as the styles got popular more content was added to their curriculum.

hskwarrior
08-18-2005, 02:47 PM
okay, so let's be real about it. what do we know about si-mo yuen.

1) she was a noted northern stylist, and her parents were well known in chinese opera. however he maiden name is not known.

and that's "All" we know. As a matter of fact, to be competely truthful, we are not even sure that the Um Ying truly came si-mo yuen. that piece of information came from none other than doc fai wong. And, i know not to trust his word about anything. Leave it up to him as it already has he tried to make a claim that Yuen hai also went by the name of Yuen Fook, which is false because yuen Fook was in lau buns generation.

Anything about Si-mo yuen came from DFW, and people believed it.

All i was asking, troy, was what made it a northern set. and if it was northern then that surprised me because our spear set looks like so many other hung sing kwoons- technique-wise. And i "Do" know you and the spear and are pretty good with it.

basically, all i'm saying is that we do not know one bit what and if si-mo yuen contributed to Lau Buns training, thats irrevelant because if it were true it has turned into something southern. So i think it is best when it comes to si-mo yuen to say "i don't know", because we don't.

I have personally reseached our history, and continue to do so and still come up with "nothing" about Master Yuen Hai's wife............except from DFW, and he is just one man. if his info was correct then Sigung Jew Leong would have known about it since he is DFW's senior by almost a quarter of a century.

Frank

Troy Dunwood
08-18-2005, 04:07 PM
So Frank, I never heard this from Doc Fai Wong, but from Sifu himself that the set came from Lau Bun's teacher wife, after all these years now we have a question mark? it's really not a big deal with me it's just a set, this information in times past is what sifu told me about the five animal set as well as the spear set not being a choy lee fut set but a northern style set. It would be plausible that skills take on the shape and form of the styles they are grafted into, much like most people who practice the noted "Pek Kwar Broadsword" according to their own flavor and not in the original sense in which it is sourced. By the way congratulations on the appointment of school manager, you deserve this post as you have a unending spirit for the promotion of Hung Sing Choy Lee Fut, I will be leaving soon for Hong Kong to visit the movie set of Kung Fu Hustle Part 2, I was invited to the movie set by Chiu Chi Ling, as well he told me he'd like to introduce me to some of the older generation still around in H.K., so i'm really looking forward to the trip.

hskwarrior
08-18-2005, 04:44 PM
believe this troy, i am not going to argue with you. but regardless, we still are clueless to whether or not that set came from the wife or the sifu.

although i am not sure to which plum blossom spear set you are referring to, but sifu just told me the name of the spear set is called Hong Ying Jeung. maybe one of these weekends you and i can go over that spear you know to see if i have the same one. you may have a different one.

yeah i remember you telling me a while back that chiu chi ling asked you to go. you lucky *******o! try and get a part in the movie. i'll be your groupie......lmao!
my fat ass in a mini skirt.... :eek: :D :D :eek: :eek:

and congratulations on the launching of your new system. you got all of my support there dude.

and thanks, you know the road i've travelled and it wasn't something i was working towards, it just sort of happened that way. my heart and soul will forever be Hung Sing, it's been my life.

have a good trip troy, and be careful.

frank