PDA

View Full Version : Jow that is safe to drink?

Vasquez
08-20-2005, 03:04 AM
I know ppl say that its unsafe. I've come across the Master Fu's formulae which is supposed to be mild. is it safe?

GreenCloudCLF
08-20-2005, 05:44 AM
Only one way to find out...Drink the bottle. If you keep posting on the forum it was safe. If you don't...well you get the idea.

David Jamieson
08-20-2005, 05:54 AM
tieh tah yao gin is jao made for bruised internal bowels and organs.

there is a high level of dragons blood in it and no poisonous substances.
You can buy it over the counter in small bottles.

It is bitter as he11 and is better served in a draught (not beer) by adding a few ml to a cup of hot water.

Ming Yue
08-20-2005, 06:25 AM
I know ppl say that its unsafe. I've come across the Master Fu's formulae which is supposed to be mild. is it safe?

no.
jow made for external use contains herbs that are toxic when taken internally. You could make yourself pretty sick.

If you think you require herbal supplements, go see a TCM practicioner.

Judge Pen
08-20-2005, 10:04 AM
The jow that we use is three parts: two external and one internal. Since I've been drinking it for a while now, It is safe to drink (at least for short-term health).

YuanZhideDiZhen
08-20-2005, 11:43 AM
tieh tah yao gin is jao made for bruised internal bowels and organs.

there is a high level of dragons blood in it and no poisonous substances.

okay, wisea55. we all know you're into that canadian weed herbalism cr4p. isn't that snake oil? or is it some exotic weed-root extract that has an oriental sounding AD&D name?

Royal Dragon
08-20-2005, 12:16 PM
Dragon's Blood is the sap of a Chinese dragon tree. it's used in Iron hand jows, but I don't remeber it's function. Which is sad because it is in mine too...

I have it all written down though, i will look it up later if you like.

QuaiJohnCain
08-20-2005, 12:19 PM
Friggin' A, Jow has strychnine in it people. DON"T DRINK IT.

Samurai Jack
08-20-2005, 12:42 PM
I take a couple of internal wines regularly, but they are made specifically for that purpose. One of the ones I use actually has most of the ingredients of one of my external Jows, but I wouldn't drink anything unless it was designed for internal consumption.

YuanZhideDiZhen
08-20-2005, 12:48 PM
Dragon's Blood is the sap of a Chinese dragon tree. it's used in Iron hand jows, but I don't remeber it's function. Which is sad because it is in mine too...

I have it all written down though, i will look it up later if you like.

that won't be neccessary. thanks.

david jamieson: man, how painful this is: i agreed with you on another post today and now i'm apologising... :eek: :D

Vasquez
08-21-2005, 12:26 AM
QuaiJohnCain

that's just YOUR opinion. what about dragon's blood ah. IMO Jow is like a strong rice wine. all in moderation is what I always say.

Royal Dragon
08-21-2005, 06:40 AM
I have a jow that I think is safe, but I have to check the ingredients. 98% of the ingredients are in our internal formula too. I am not sure about Psuedoginseng and Dragon's Blood only. Psuedoginseng is used as a topical anti-inflamatory to reduce swelling I think. Dragon's Blood stimulates circulation and is part of the formula that dispells bruising.

If you can take Those two internally, then you can drink our formula.

Vasquez
08-23-2005, 03:32 AM
Yes i guess it must be safe then. Maybe its a good way to strengthen those internal organs. Hey secret to internal kung fu IMO??????

monkeyfoot
08-23-2005, 12:33 PM
Well I just started drinking this stuff called Kombucha that I got off my sifu. All I can say is it tastes like ****.

Thats only got green tea and ginger in it, yet it still tastes nasty.....so anything with dragon blood etc sounds way dodgy. Reminds me of being in thailand with all the snake blood drinks.

craig

Vasquez
08-24-2005, 07:29 AM
But things that are good for you don't usually taste good. isn't that also true?

monkeyfoot
08-25-2005, 08:34 AM
well when it comes to the bottle of kombucha, once its finished im moving back to my oolong and ginseng tea.

Craig

Mr Punch
08-25-2005, 08:58 AM
I can't believe this thread has got any serious replies. You should try the photographer phist phite thread! :D

What's 'kombucha'? The only kombucha I know is Japanese, made of kombu (kelp) seaweed.

monkeyfoot
08-25-2005, 02:48 PM
Heres a bit about it from a leaflet I have.

''Kombucha tea has been drunk for at least 2000 years and dates back to the Chinese Tsin Dynasty of 221 BC in Manchuria where the emperors believed it to be a sacred medicine, referring to it as 'the elixir of long life'.

Kombucha tea is a fermented and oxidised fusion of tea and metabolised by kombucha culture: a continuously reproducing colony of friendly bacteria and split or fission yeasts, healthy acids, enzymes, vitamins and minerals.''

Basically of what I know it uses a type of green tea, different plant roots and mine is also mixed with ginger.

craig

YuanZhideDiZhen
08-25-2005, 11:12 PM
I have a jow that I think is safe, but I have to check the ingredients. 98% of the ingredients are in our internal formula too. I am not sure about Psuedoginseng and Dragon's Blood only. Psuedoginseng is used as a topical anti-inflamatory to reduce swelling I think. Dragon's Blood stimulates circulation and is part of the formula that dispells bruising.

If you can take Those two internally, then you can drink our formula.

i was given one to quaff. it did have Psuedoginseng in it. but i'm not sure of dragon's blood. it had a dirty water color. i made a kind of gravy to go over chicken out of it. sifu thinks it saved my life from him on a number of occasions... :cool:

Vasquez
08-26-2005, 04:31 AM
I've had some black zambuka the other day and though maybe jow taste the same.

David Jamieson
08-26-2005, 07:20 AM
okay, wisea55. we all know you're into that canadian weed herbalism cr4p. isn't that snake oil? or is it some exotic weed-root extract that has an oriental sounding AD&D name?

lol. Sorry, but the colloquial names are usually the ones i use. it is dried sap as stated.

Kombucha mushroom tea has shown some real promise. You can grow your own mushrooms after you get the first one, they are self propogating in the solution they are grown in. There are a lot of properties to this tea that are not fully understood yet, but it has shown definite healing properties for several types of maladies.

Vasquez
08-27-2005, 07:56 AM
Yes I know. wild murshrooms has really hip properties.

Dale Dugas
08-27-2005, 09:12 AM
like anything else be VERY careful when you are GROWING anything yourself. Make sure to STERILIZE your containers well or you will be drinking something that can harm you.

Im allergic to Kombucha, as its a fungus/mold that doesnt like my immune system. Oh well, Ill stick to Dong Chong Choe. Cooler to drink a tea made from bugs than drinnk some nasty old sock mold anyday, lol...

Kombucha is not bad for some, but be careful saying its great for all.

Dale

David Jamieson
08-27-2005, 09:25 AM
Agreed, I would say this is true of anything you use for medicinal purposes.

Be certain that it will not affect you negatively.

Gangsterfist
08-27-2005, 09:39 AM
There is both internal and external jow. I know a local traditional chinese medicine practitioner and he has given me internal jow before in a pill form for injuries.

Samurai Jack
08-27-2005, 02:56 PM
Speaking of all of this, I just ordered a medicinal wine herb pack called "stone warrior" from ShenMartialarts. I'd like to try it, but to my dismay, one of the ingredients is dried gecko. I know that's it's supposed to acta as a kidney tonifier and it's also supposed to help with sexual disfunction. Anyhow, the wine is for strength training, so I'm guessing the gecko is supposed to support testosterone production.

The problem I have, is that as a vegetarian I've got an ethical objection to killing a gecko so I can get stronger. Does anyone think it'd be alright to just use the herb pack after taking the gecko out (it wouldn't be hard, as it's quite obviously a big ol' dried lizard)?

Dale Dugas
08-27-2005, 03:00 PM
you can take it out, but its a very very potent part of formulae. Its an animale form of ginseng. You could substitute with Dong Cho Choe, Cordyceps, which is a small mushroom grown on a catepillar, though you can get veggie safe cordyceps if you look around.

Dale

Royal Dragon
08-27-2005, 03:39 PM
Or you could just use it so the poor animal did not die in vain, and just
know not to use that stuff again.

Vasquez
08-30-2005, 03:20 AM
what about wild murshrooms like truffles?

YuanZhideDiZhen
08-30-2005, 11:21 PM
Kombucha mushroom tea has shown some real promise. You can grow your own mushrooms after you get the first one, they are self propogating in the solution they are grown in. There are a lot of properties to this tea that are not fully understood yet, but it has shown definite healing properties for several types of maladies.

we can get that as a brain emusifier down here: just add hot water and watch your victim drink himself into a coma. it's actually a cholesterol/blood sludge emulsifier. some poor guy made some too strong and drank too much. he really did liquify part of his greymatter. so be careful with that thing.

YuanZhideDiZhen
08-30-2005, 11:25 PM
Speaking of all of this, I just ordered a medicinal wine herb pack called "stone warrior" from ShenMartialarts. I'd like to try it, but to my dismay, one of the ingredients is dried gecko. I know that's it's supposed to acta as a kidney tonifier and it's also supposed to help with sexual disfunction. Anyhow, the wine is for strength training, so I'm guessing the gecko is supposed to support testosterone production.

The problem I have, is that as a vegetarian I've got an ethical objection to killing a gecko so I can get stronger. Does anyone think it'd be alright to just use the herb pack after taking the gecko out (it wouldn't be hard, as it's quite obviously a big ol' dried lizard)?

OH my gosh! that's the stuff from fukien province that's used to make fuqua muqua dabu chiao! dried lizard and all! can you post a link? it's kung fu wine... :cool:

the gekko is there to absorb a toxin.

Vasquez
09-01-2005, 07:28 AM
sometimes you just have to sweat out the toxins and absorb the good stuff

cbishop
09-01-2005, 12:14 PM
like anything else be VERY careful when you are GROWING anything yourself. Make sure to STERILIZE your containers well or you will be drinking something that can harm you.

Kombucha is not bad for some, but be careful saying its great for all.

Dale

what complete and total nonsense. kombucha (and kefir) do not require
a sterile substrate. they kill all other microbes that happen to get mixed in.
do more research (and experimentation) before making such silly statements.

also, the bacteria and yeast found in these cultures are naturally occuring
(in your intestines), and are vital to your intestinal flora.

you must digest food by a different method than everyone else huh david?

PlumDragon
09-01-2005, 01:59 PM
cbishop, no reason to be act so upset, he may not have even been referring specifically to kombucha...Generally, Id side with Dale, as you should have a sterile environment with some exceptions for most things you grow.

In nature, the inherent symbiotic nature of an ecological system allow the plants to kill off any types of contamination as a function of ecological balance. However, it holds true *very* often that when you isolate certain things from its natural habitat, it is very important to sterilize everything around it to keep contaminants from popping up. A perfect example is the growing of many types of mushrooms in isolated environmants.

cbishop
09-01-2005, 02:57 PM
i've grown several varieties of mushrooms, including the psychadelic psylocybes.
for these fungus, you definitely need a sterile environment. no doubt.

kombucha and kefir do not share this flaw.

if i seemed agitated, it's because many americans now suffer from diseases
which could be avoided altogether by keeping the intestinal tract balanced.
this isn't a small problem.. it's a very BIG problem.

people who spread nonsense about topics one which they're only mildly
educated, cause confusion and scare off potentially interested parties.

don't call out "fire" unless you KNOW that there's a fire.
smoke billowing out of the restaurant a mile down the road doesn't count.

Vasquez
09-03-2005, 01:23 AM
cbishop

LOL you have bacteria in your intestines!!!!! some jow will sort them out I think. I mean who wants to have intestinal worms?

Dale Dugas
09-03-2005, 04:46 AM
Cbishop,

when I mentioned sterlizing, I might have used the wrong word. You need to make sure and clean your growing jar with soap and water and make sure that its clean. I didnt mean you had to put it into some sort of autoclave and steam the c r a p out of it.

Beer is fermented with yeasts, and you have to make sure that your fermenter is totally clean, ie "sterile" in order for the yeast you are adding to grow into what you want and not what some wild yeast bacteria will give you.

Kombucha is basically letting tea interact with wild bacteria and letting it ferment into something different.

I eat fermented foods as I understand the need to supplement the intestinal flora bigtime. I eat yogurt, miso, along with Natto my favorite, though most Americans find the smell of the fermented soybeans akin to rotting garbage.

When I make jow I make sure that the glass carboys that I use are extremely clean. I use something called B-Brite which is a mineral cleanser that beermakers use to clean glass and other equipment. It works great to clean everything and not hurt the environment being a mineral based oxydizer.

Just wanted to clarify it.

Got some decent white beer "cooking" in the closet. It will be ready to bottle soon. Then it will be " Ummmm, Beeeerrrrr......"

In Quincy,

Dale Dugas

cbishop
09-03-2005, 07:40 AM
"Beer is fermented with yeasts, and you have to make sure that your fermenter is totally clean, ie "sterile" in order for the yeast you are adding to grow into what you want and not what some wild yeast bacteria will give you."

too true. i make small beer, which is fermented with the whey of raw milk.
this requires a sterile environment unless you don't mind a wild tasting beer.

"Kombucha is basically letting tea interact with wild bacteria and letting it ferment into something different."

no. it's not. kombucha is a very special conglomerate of yeast and bacteria.
you can use the same open container over and over again, and the kombucha mother
will kill off all contaminants. THAT'S WHY IT'S BEEN USED FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS.

kefir is VERY similar. it shares most of the same bacteria and yeast, and shares the
same resiliant properties. this was origionally cultured in the most filthy of
containers... A SHEEPS INTESTINE.

"I eat fermented foods as I understand the need to supplement the intestinal flora bigtime. I eat yogurt, miso, along with Natto my favorite, though most Americans find the smell of the fermented soybeans akin to rotting garbage."

yogurt and miso = awsome and totally good for the IF. fermented is the only
healthy way to eat any soy product. my kf brother made a fermented soy cake
last week. tasted a bit like a nutty mushroom flavor.

but once again, you're equating the fermentation of one thing with the other.
this equation simply does not hold. it's not true. it may seem reasonable and logical.
but from MUCH experience with these cultures, i can tell you it's simply not true.

if anyone on this forum would like a kefir culture, i will gladly overnight it to them
for the cost of shipping. at that point, you can test this for yourself. i can't afford to
send a kombucha culture as they only reproduce once a month.

YuanZhideDiZhen
09-04-2005, 07:54 AM
wow. i never knew so much about those dirty little sh1t scrapers. next time i need some sh1t in my diet i'll call you for one of those dirt balls' culture. :rolleyes:

cbishop
09-05-2005, 07:58 AM
when you come down with prostate or colon cancer, remember this thread...

btw, since i never responded to the origional post...

dit da jow comes in all different recipes. some are good to drink.
some are not. you won't really know unless you or your herbalist personally
make it since the commercial varieties aren't exactly inspected by FDA.

Vasquez
09-06-2005, 03:38 AM
The trouble with being a herbalist - I know as I am one myself is the difficulty in finding genuine herbs.