PDA

View Full Version : Why Multi-Planar Mobility Training?

FooFighter
08-20-2005, 05:29 PM
Why Multi-Planar Mobility?

Multi-Planar Mobility™ (MPM) is the key to CST and to RMAX. This is because it enhances real world performance in three dimensions: frontal, sagital, and transverse, and also because it helps to prevent joint pain and injuries.
All dynamic movement and real world performance occurs in three dimensions. We exist in three dimensions; we move in three dimensions. Health, success, and movement freedom all occur in three dimensions. That being the case, it only makes logical sense to play, think, and train ourselves in three dimensions. I believe that failure to train in any one dimension creates a weak link in our performance, as well as the likelihood of joint pain and immobility. I also believe that linear strength training is truly impossible, because we CANNOT move in a straight line, nor can we forcefully isolate ourselves in one or two dimensions. It’s utterly insane, unrealistic, and downright dangerous for our long term health and performance.

People who do conventional linear strength training experience joint pain and immobility because of their one- or two-dimensional enclosed training. What these folks fail to understand is that it’s impossible for them to move linearly, and it is in their failure to develop tri-planar mobility that they are imprisoned.

Tri-planar mobility develops rotary and angular/diagonal strength to assist the primary movers. It increases stability, enhances injury prevention, multiplies force production abilities, and stimulates the neuromuscular patterns required of athletes. All of this can be attained through the use of Clubbells, with none of the lame and funny circus stunts or Sea World animal acts of the "functional training" camp. The functional training camp is better off than the bodybuilding camp in terms of trying to develop tri-planar mobility, but they, too, still attempt to move linearly.

How does tri-planar mobility reduce and prevent joint pain and immobility? Basically, tri-planar mobility can be studied through daily practice of programs like Warrior Wellness™ and Body Flow. These programs should be practiced daily, because they provide "food" for your joints. Your joints are fed not through blood but through synovial fluid and that comes through movement. When joints are fed daily in all six degrees of freedom, they attain youth, health, and stability. Mobility training bathes your joints in synovial fluids, which help to remove scar tissue and calcium deposits. If you don’t move your joints in all three dimensions, your joints don’t get fed, they grow hungry, develop scar tissue, and build up nasty hard material -- and then they grow weak. You move like an old person and you wonder "How Stella Got Her Groove Back." Do Warrior Wellness™ and Body Flow, and you will get your groove back.

MPM has helped me to recover and to coordinate my movements and has helped me to overcome right shoulder joint pain that developed over time through Wing Chun training and linear strength conditioning. I am pain-free in that area, thank you LORD!

I came to RMAX and CST looking to be free and to increase my performance in Wing Chun gung fu. I couldn’t figure out why I was a bad Wing Chun student. I now realize that I failed, because I was working within a linear movement paradigm, and I wasn’t doing any MPM conditioning, which added more dirt to my already messy slate. I am now able to perform all of the refined movements found in Fisticuffs, Shock Ability, Softwork, Body-Flow, CST, and Sambo. This was nearly impossible for me before I started back on July 4, 2004.

I used to carry density in my upper back, and I’m still working on it. However, by applying MPM and the theories of myofasica and tensegrity, I have learned to release my density and to keep that tension away. I have been doing Warrior Wellness™ daily for some time now, and I see how much it has increased my performance in Sambo, CST, Rmax, and my Wing Chun practices.

Warrior Wellness: http://www.rmax.tv/warrior.html
BodyFlow: http://www.rmax.tv/kinetic.html

Yours in CST,

Bao Tran
"The time for change is now and again we as a tribe are here to service you and support your bliss because your success is our success."
"Your body is the subconscious mind." Candace Pert, PhD
Hanuman, a siranjaeevi, is the monkey God, strong, full of valour, with various skills and powers. He is seen as Veera Hanuman, holding the mace (a Clubbell® in Bao's eye) in one hand & the sanjeevi parvatham in the other

northernArts
08-21-2005, 06:27 AM
I wouldn't mind doing the clubbell thing to trace out movements from forms. I just started learning 12 set tan tui. But kbells are my primary strength tool right now. I just got a pair after 9 month layoff - I've always liked the fact that kbells give a cardio & strength workout at the same time.

Indian clubs and rock pole(think of a barbell weighted at one end and swung around) are cool. I just wouldn't make them my primary focus because I think I will get stronger with kettlebells. But clubbells might be nice for "active recovery" in-between kbell workouts.

Good for you that it has helped.

FooFighter
08-21-2005, 06:50 AM
Kettlebells are awesome and I have worked with them. You can search here for past posts I have written about KBs. Me and I think FordPerfect were the first forum members to have tried them and wrote about them. I have alot respect for Kettlbell training and will use them in future program designing.

Indian clubs and other similar devices are not similar to the quality and the science that behind clubbells. You can not use these similar devices for CST. Anyone who has experienced CST can tell that these device do not offer the same results. Here is my explanation of why CST is different from Indian Clubs or similar devices:

"Honestly the Club bell is the only tool I have worked with and I never worked out using Indian Clubs or anything in that nature. Coach Scott Sonnon designed the club bell through his strength conditioning necessity. They say, "Necessity is the mother of all invention." I guess his necessity gave birth to a new design with a very ancient roots. Even though the club has been around a long time and has a rich history, the Club bell is truly unique in its own right because of the intelligence, imagination, and experience behind it. In "Club bell Training For circular Strength: An Ancient Tool for the Modern Athlete," Coach Sonnon had four intentions for the use of his club bells: to develop functional without increasing bulk (maybe you want to edit that part from your book, lol), to develop kung fu killer grip strength, to develop the physical ability to yield, halt, and overcome which is related to his grappling needs, and to develop dynamic strength and flexibility in extreme ranges of motions. Through his need he found that his club bells could fulfill his specific needs. Through his trials and errors in his creation of club bells Coach designed the ideal tool for CST and any other club devices would not be as effective or safe. The Club bells is unique because can effectively develop many attributes such as dynamic range of motion, extreme range strength, enhanced muscle reactivity: your ability to rapidly adjust velocity through muscle control to accelerate and decelerate force, ballistic endurance, real world specialized coordination, shock absorption, and enhanced agility, and combat specific strength. No other similar equipment can produce the same results.

Many people has asked through the Internet is another cheaper version of club bells for CST? Can I use the wooden clubs? How about using plate-loaded clubs? What do you think about shot loaded clubs? Why is the club bell so expensive? Is Coach Sonnon trying to protect his financial interests by poo pooing on other club devices?

There are many club devices and a lot cheaper than the club bells, however you will not get the same quality, safety, and CST benefits as you would with using the real thing (club bells). Yes Club bells are indeed expensive but the medical bills can be more expensive if you try to mess around with devices doing CST. When you buy a club bell, you are buying quality and no other similar
Devices have efficiently effective methodology, strength culture, and team supporting them. The most important difference between Club bells and other devices is the club bell has a constant Center of Mass, which is so vital in CST. You do not want any other device to change its load in different ranges of motion because it causes extreme damage of to your joints. No other devices have this unique characteristic. Just because there is a constant center of mass doesn’t mean it has a fixed weight. Its weight can feel a lot different if you know about leverage and know how to use micro loading in CST. In relation to Club bell’s constant Center of Mass, club bells allows micro-loading which permits all trainees to slowly and carefully progress without meeting critical failure. This is the manner which CST permits incremental progression and adaptation. Because of constant center of mass and micro-loading the club bell can be use effectively and safely. Remember NO CONSTANT CENTER OF MASS AND NO MICRO-LOADING EQUALS NO CST.

The biggest con is the real danger of using these plates loaded or shot loaded clubs for CST. You cannot use these devices for CST because it will hurt your joint or worst. The Olympic plates loading clubs can not 100% promise that its pin will be secure while you are aggressively doing CST. The shot loading club's sloshing effect is bad for your joints, especially in some of CST's extreme range of motion exercises. You cannot absorb force and retranslate it with any of these devices. Only the club bell was designed to it safely. The dangers of using non-Club bells out weight their benefits. The clubells has a superior grip designed unlike many other knock offs. Club bells has specific thick grip diameter and a specialized "crinkle coated" texture which adds to traction to the club bells' handle. The club bell also has a special phenolic knob at the end of its club bells, which also helps with its superior grip, and conformability of holding it. The club bells are made of iron, which make more durable and long lasting. Using iron help to keep the club bell’s constant Center of Mass. In addition of using metal over other materials for the club bell design has many benefits such as grip security, compact density, and consistent center of mass, durability, and cost efficient."

CST can get you as stronger as Kbs. Make no mistake that there are plenty strong men in CST and if you have not used them, then I understand why you would think the way you are thinking now. I am not dissing your KBs, however I think you should give CST or clubbells an open mind. Try them out first. Try out the Bruiser (45lb clubbell) if power and size is your main concern. If you tried it and said it is not for me, then I would honor your opinion with respect to your experience. Others KB players have also mentioned that CST and clubbells worked every well with their training methodology. Yes, clubbells are great for active recovery, but it can develop real world strength as well. I hope I was helpful. Best of luck in your own training.

Yours in CST,
Bao

Vajramusti
08-21-2005, 09:11 AM
Indian club work requires good guidance to do it well. They have proven their worth for centuries. Most of the instructional material I have seen on the net are not very good.

joy chaudhuri

FooFighter
08-21-2005, 12:42 PM
Indian club work requires good guidance to do it well. They have proven their worth for centuries. Most of the instructional material I have seen on the net are not very good.

joy chaudhuri

Joy,

I respect you like my elder and as a wing chun sifu. I respect your experience as my elder. I also respect the previous older traditions such as the Indian Clubs that led up to the development of CST physical culture and the clubbells. I am not poo pooing on the nature or traditions of the Indian Clubs, but I am supporting the unique aspects of CST and the clubbells. In order to completely benefit Circular Strength Training then it is best using the Clubbells and not other similar devices. The indian clubs stands alone and has it own culture and methodology. I am just making a clear line of distinction because it is not all the same things. I hope you understood this message. Did you have a problem with the educational instruction of CST and of Coach Sonnon? If so, then you can you tell us your opinion?

Yours in CST,
bao

Vajramusti
08-21-2005, 01:18 PM
Hi Bao-

Thanks much for your reply and comments.
I looked at Coach Sannon's website and the pictures of the club bells.
He seems to be on the right track with the circular training--- which is actually quite an old but often forgotten but effective regimen and concept.

Because some wing chunners are not familiar with inter planar motions they often injure themselves- specially with just lifting the bong sao..

Of course the details of the workouts with the clubs or bells will be a little different
because of the difference in shapes. Both are better than linear training IMHO.

In the Sonnon site there is a famous picture of the late Gama with a ceremonial club.
I met him when I was a boy and he was old and past his prime. but still formidable. And- unforgettable.

With good wishes,

Joy Chaudhuri

FooFighter
08-22-2005, 07:04 AM
Joy,

Thank you for sharing your insight and it must have been amazing to have met a living legend as a boy. Gama was awesome.

Yours in CST,
Bao