PDA

View Full Version : Dragon&Horse Symbol

LingChuanPai
08-21-2005, 01:34 AM
Could someone please inform me what is the symbolism behind a picture, statue, or carving depicting a Dragon and a Horse together? I bought a really cool carving for $14 today!
LCP

GeneChing
08-23-2005, 11:19 AM
A kirin as in Kirin Beer (http://www.kirin.com/)? I've forgotten the Chinese equivalent - chulin or something, is it?

LingChuanPai
08-24-2005, 01:15 AM
Gene,
Im sorry man...i was'nt refering to the Kirin.
I bought this carving that depicts 1 a horse and 2 a dragon together in the same scene. 2 diff animals in the scene. I was wondering what is the symbolism here. Why a horse and dragon depicted in a scene together?
LCP :D

CFT
08-24-2005, 09:24 AM
Well, the Chinese have a New Year's greeting:

Lung Ma Zing Sun (Cantonese)
Long Ma Jing Shen (Mandarin)

Which means the spirit/liveliness of dragons and horses. Just wishing people good health and energy for the coming year.

David Jamieson
08-25-2005, 05:38 AM
Horses also mean success and Dragons manifest as many powerful meanings.

There is an old saying too "when we come in, we will come riding in". Basically means, if we're gonna do this thing we're gonna do it right and succeed.

But I think the artifact is likely more closely related to teh new years wishes, generally teh success one is a bunch of horses or a rider on a horse depiction.

CFT
08-25-2005, 06:00 AM
The image of a single bold horse or a herd of horses usually accompanies another auspicious saying:

Ma do sing gung (Cantonese)
Ma dao cheng gong (Mandarin)

When the horse arrives, success.