PDA

View Full Version : Taiwan article

David Jamieson
08-21-2005, 11:02 AM
I was kind of dissapointed in Antonio's latest offering.

He came out thet gate with some real earthy stuff on the temple and his experience there, but the Taiwan thing seemed like a pale rehash on some levels of that.

It seemed hurried, like he was trying to meet a deadline on filling space or something.

A little more interviewing of the guys would've been good. I wanted to hear (read) about how the connection between shaolin and taiwan was forged, not about A's experience with yet another deceptively shabby master before moving on.

So, some skinny on how the diaspora occured and where it went would've have been much more appreciated by this reader.

Otherwise, I do like his style of writing.

Shaolinlueb
08-21-2005, 07:40 PM
I was kind of dissapointed in Antonio's latest offering.

He came out thet gate with some real earthy stuff on the temple and his experience there, but the Taiwan thing seemed like a pale rehash on some levels of that.

It seemed hurried, like he was trying to meet a deadline on filling space or something.

A little more interviewing of the guys would've been good. I wanted to hear (read) about how the connection between shaolin and taiwan was forged, not about A's experience with yet another deceptively shabby master before moving on.

So, some skinny on how the diaspora occured and where it went would've have been much more appreciated by this reader.

Otherwise, I do like his style of writing.

hmm, i also liked the kung fu kata part. reminded me of shaolin-do
jk jk about that, sorta.

i do like his work and he has been an avid contributor to the ezine and mag. and hes got good stuff.

GeneChing
08-22-2005, 10:08 AM
Are we talking about The Legacy of the Seven Masters of Ciro (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=620)? Antonio submitted a bunch of stuff to us (he's trying to finance his next trip to Borneo). Sorry this one didn't grab you. There's more to come... ;)

David Jamieson
08-22-2005, 04:54 PM
Yep that's the one G~

Any chance there's gonna be some in depth historical stuff trotted out in regards to the Taiwan connection?

Be nice to hear the kitchen livers story.

GeneChing
08-23-2005, 09:20 AM
Taiwan isn't really my department. Gigi Oh, our publisher (and my boss) is from Taiwan, so she handles Taiwan. Antonio covers it too since he's spent so much time there. And there are others. Taiwan Wulin magazine is a great resource, IMO the best CMA mag out there now, aside from us, of course. But I'm not going to Taiwan anytime soon, so if that research surfaces, it probably won't be from me...

SiuHung
08-24-2005, 09:28 PM
Is this guy crazy?

He wanted the master to train him every day...for free?

What a FOOL! He should've trained with the master during his free Saturday class, and then practiced by himself or with the other students all week long...

I'm floored by his attitude. Looks like he just missed a huge opportunity.

GeneChing
08-25-2005, 09:56 AM
Check out some of Antonio's other submissions (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/TOC/index.php#G) :cool:

David Jamieson
08-26-2005, 05:44 AM
lol. Yeah, his attitude has probably closed a few doors for him I'm sure. But still, at least he keeps poking the tiger through the cage. :p

GeneChing
08-26-2005, 09:31 AM
But that same attitude has got him into many interesting places. Attitude is a two-edged sword. While Antonio's approach is far different than my own, I respect where it has gotten him. He's had some amazing adventures in Asia. We only report his China/Taiwan stuff (and a little of his Thai stuff) but he's been all over Asia. Like I said, he's headed to Borneo next, hopefully. I almost got to Borneo in '97 but was driven away by some terrible fires in Indonesia...

SiuHung
08-27-2005, 08:28 PM
But that same attitude has got him into many interesting places. Attitude is a two-edged sword. While Antonio's approach is far different than my own, I respect where it has gotten him. He's had some amazing adventures in Asia. We only report his China/Taiwan stuff (and a little of his Thai stuff) but he's been all over Asia. Like I said, he's headed to Borneo next, hopefully. I almost got to Borneo in '97 but was driven away by some terrible fires in Indonesia...

Hey, I really like Antonio's articles...In most cases I like the attitude he displays in them. Heck, he's a real trooper. This article however, was different. Still well written, still a very interesting read. It just blew me away how he expected so much and possible 'diss'd that teacher. Many people will spen thier whole lives wishing they had the opportunity to learn that he just passed up. 'Just don't make no sense to me is all.

GeneChing
08-29-2005, 12:09 PM
...at least he copped to it...sort of. ;)
Thanks for your comments, everyone. I should forward this thread to Antonio. I'm not sure where he is now or if he even has time to visit our forum much anymore.